Best Striker in the World

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Lewandowski is the best striker in the world by a fair distance, but Haaland is definitely 2nd.

the_cliff

I said best british pl striker of all time.
My bad, I was replying to a post that claimed he was the best striker in PL history which is why I got confused.

In terms of being the best British striker in PL history, he certainly has a case.

arnie_ni

Stupidest post in this thread.

Feck Harry Kane. He scores a lot of meaningless goals in a lot of meaningless games, but he almost always disappears in big games. He has never won SHIT in his life, and his career is not good enough to shine the shoes of Ronaldo's career. Ronaldo is one of the greatest players that has ever played this game, and as recently as last season he scored more than Kane in Premier League (!), while playing for a worse side, so - you don't know what you are talking about, Kane fanboy.

As for Nunez - he is young and hungry, and I would have him in my team over Kane, any day of the week.
Kane fan boy? :lol:

Remember the geese

Feck Harry Kane. He scores a lot of meaningless goals in a lot of meaningless games, but he almost always disappears in big games. He has never won SHIT in his life, and his career is not good enough to shine the shoes of Ronaldo's career. Ronaldo is one of the greatest players that has ever played this game, and as recently as last season he scored more than Kane in Premier League (!), while playing for a worse side, so - you don't know what you are talking about, Kane fanboy.

As for Nunez - he is young and hungry, and I would have him in my team over Kane, any day of the week.
There are opinions and there are posts like this. Your underrating of Kane is criminal.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We agree that Benzema was better last season, now let's see if he can replicate that season. There is nothing that suggests that Haaland will slow down or not continue to improve and deliver even more scary numbers in the years to come. Benzema is turning 35 and just delivered a "one off" season compared to the rest of his 17 years long senior career, where he played second fiddle to a better striker or was a tier below the very best.
There's nothing to see. Benzema has already done it. He's been the best player on the planet. Let's "see" if Halaand can one day attain such a status. Right now KDB is the best player in his team.

Idxomer

Statistically those are the top 10 centre-forwards/goalscorers in 2022 so far. Ronaldo is scoring at a worse rate than someone like Arnautovic and Lukaku isn't even in the top 50.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Statistically those are the top 10 centre-forwards/goalscorers in 2022 so far. Ronaldo is scoring at a worse rate than someone like Arnautovic and Lukaku isn't even in the top 50.
The shocking thing is, that Immobile is only 32? I thought he'd be 36 by now.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

:lol: :lol: :lol:

swissgenius

IMO, there is a clear 1st tier right now:

Lewa
Benzema
Haaland
Mbappe

They have very different qualities so kinda difficult to rank them.
Looking at the statistics of the past 2 seasons, Neymar also belongs up there, depends on wether we see him as a striker or not.
The next ones to follow could be Nkunku and Vlahovic, if their development goes right.

ps. Harry Kane scored every 171th minute last year, he's clearly not a top 5 striker in worlds football right now.

Olmer

The easiest question ever. Lewandowski by a countrymile.

The guy has 40 plus goals for 8 seasons in a row now. Was world class even before that at Dortmund.

Will you say things about the quality of Bundesliga? Lewandowski has the best goals per game ratio in the CL. Even higher than Messi and Ronaldo. The guy has like 80 goals for a bang average National Team.

What about all round game? Anyone who has watched Lewandowski play a decent amount knows that he has some of the best hold up play in the world. He has a very masterful first touch, ball control and silky skills. If you watch his first few matches for Barca for instance, you'll see how complete he is.

He's very adaptable and fits into all kinds of teams. Whether it's a Pep Guardiola possession based system, a counter attacking system with no service for Poland or an undefined style of play under Nico Kovac. The guy came to a new league and new team and immediately fitted in and started scoring for fun. Perfect striker for ANY system.

Always available and very rarely injured. Has one of the best goal ratios in Knockout games ever.

Name a striker who has been so consistently elite for such a long time with no off season. I'll wait.

The standout strikers of this generation are Robert Lewandowski and Luis Suarez. Simple as that. Others pale in comparison.

From the younger lot, Haaland is a limited player but a tremendous tremendous goalscorer. One of the best goal poachers in the world. Harry Kane is in his peak and a fantastic complete striker. Underrated because he plays for a club who don't really win the big things.
I think people implicitly assumed that the thread is about current situation only. So the performance in the last decade means nothing here. This is why Suarez isn't mentioned but Nunez and Haaland are.

Rake

Currently, I'd say Benzema. He just delivers when it matters. In terms of scoring the most goals, maybe Haaland.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think people implicitly assumed that the thread is about current situation only. So the performance in the last decade means nothing here. This is why Suarez isn't mentioned but Nunez and Haaland are.
The whole thread is kinda mixed up between people looking at today, the last 3 seasons or the last decade.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
We agree that Benzema was better last season, now let's see if he can replicate that season. There is nothing that suggests that Haaland will slow down or not continue to improve and deliver even more scary numbers in the years to come. Benzema is turning 35 and just delivered a "one off" season compared to the rest of his 17 years long senior career, where he played second fiddle to a better striker or was a tier below the very best.
To be fair, Benzema delivered a "one off" season compared to pretty much 99.9% of any footballer's career. His last season, beyond just the numbers, was simply phenomenal and as close to a one-man winning crew as I can remember in a long time. Between him and Courtois, they carried Madrid to a UCL title no one expected them to win.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I bet Goatnaldo is reading this thread and is enraged beyond words. Time for him to score 10 in the World Cup.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

gibers

Benzema currently. Lewa stat pads when his team are doing well. Flops when his team are under it. Benzema's season last year was better than anything Lewa has ever produced in his career.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Benzema currently. Lewa stat pads when his team are doing well. Flops when his team are under it. Benzema's season last year was better than anything Lewa has ever produced in his career.
Can't agree with this enough. Benzema is far more clutch and actually shows up in the biggest games.

troylocker

Career numbers for new generation vs. old generation:

Haaland:
Club all comps
1,08 goals/90
1,33 goals+assists/90
National team:
1,09 goals/90
1,25 goals+assists/90

Mbappe:
Club all comps
0,89 goals/90
1,26 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,58 goals/90
0,95 goals+assists/90

Vlahovic:
Club all comps
0,60 goals/90
0,67 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,86 goals/90
1,10 goals+assists/90

Messi:
Club all comps
0,93 goals/90
1,32 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,65 goals/90
0,88 goals+assists/90

C Ronaldo:
Club all comps
0,84 goals/90
1,08 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,76 goals/90
0,91 goals+assists/90

Lewa:
Club all comps
0,85 goals/90
1,02 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,78 goals/90
0,97 goals+assists/90

Benzema:
Club all comps
0,66 goals/90
0,93 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,53 goals/90
0,76 goals+assists/90

Kane:
Club all comps
0,69 goals/90
0,83 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,80 goals/90
0,96 goals+assists/90

Zlatan:
Club all comps
0,70 goals/90
0,95 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,60 goals/90
0,74 goals+assists/90

Suarez:
Club all comps
0,68 goals/90
1,01 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,57 goals/90
0,77 goals+assists/90

The new superstars sure looks promising.

Last edited:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It's Mbappe by some margin. Based on last season's form Benzema deserves the plaudits though.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

This honestly might be the worst take I've ever seen in 8 years on this forum, particularly after you actually had the cheek to label the original post stupid.

No, Ronaldo and Nunez aren't really that close to Kane at present. He is proven over the last 7 or 8 seasons and is undoubtedly one of the very best CF's in the world at this point and has been for a while. Meanwhile Nunez is completely unproven in a top 5 league still and Ronaldo's all-round game these days is lacking to the extent he can't even get in the starting XI at United.

First of all - most players score most of their goals against the lesser teams, that's just how it is. This is hardly abnormal for most of Kane's goals to be against mid or lower-table PL teams. He still has 35 goals against other top 6 sides in the PL, his record in North London derbies (arguably their biggest game) is phenomenal, and even against the big teams he scores the least regularly against (both Manchester sides) he still averages 1 every 3.5 games against both which is hardly shabby.

England's record goalscorer easily including 10 in 16 in international comps, 20 in 24 in the CL for Spurs and well on his way to being the record goalscorer in PL history.

Oh and you mentioned Ronaldo outscoring him last season (by 1 goal FFS), what about the year before when Kane was both the top goalscorer AND had the most assists in the PL?

This obsession with trophies is also ridiculous, it's like people don't realize this is a team sport. Sure Ronaldo has won plenty and he's definitely evaluated the team at points (and nobody is arguing he is a greater player and will go down as one of the GOAT's when all is said and done), but he also played for fecking Real Madrid for most of his career, and a dominate Fergie-led United, and the most dominate team in Italy. Not Spurs. Moreover, what the feck has Nunez won?

You clearly have some sort of reasoning the prevents you from looking at Kane objectively, it is surely the only explanation for being so butthurt that you label somebody a Kane fanboy for saying he's clearly better than current Ronaldo and Nunez (a statement I think 95% of people on this forum would agree with), and surely the only explanation for being dumb enough to say Nunez is a better player.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What has Kane done the past 12 months to be ranked that high?
Score 32 goals in 56 games? This includes the 3-4 month period at the start of last season when he was clearly very unsettled and not playing well.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Really because Im pretty sure Haaland plays for city (and has been banging in a ton of goals) and Lewandowski plays for Barca

so i dont think that is up to date

Career numbers for new generation vs. old generation:

Haaland:
Club all comps
1,08 goals/90
1,33 goals+assists/90
National team:
1,09 goals/90
1,25 goals+assists/90

Mbappe:
Club all comps
0,89 goals/90
1,26 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,58 goals/90
0,95 goals+assists/90

Vlahovic:
Club all comps
0,60 goals/90
0,67 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,86 goals/90
1,10 goals+assists/90

Messi:
Club all comps
0,93 goals/90
1,32 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,65 goals/90
0,88 goals+assists/90

C Ronaldo:
Club all comps
0,84 goals/90
1,08 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,76 goals/90
0,91 goals+assists/90

Lewa:
Club all comps
0,85 goals/90
1,02 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,78 goals/90
0,97 goals+assists/90

Benzema:
Club all comps
0,66 goals/90
0,93 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,53 goals/90
0,76 goals+assists/90

Kane:
Club all comps
0,69 goals/90
0,83 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,80 goals/90
0,96 goals+assists/90

Zlatan:
Club all comps
0,70 goals/90
0,95 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,60 goals/90
0,74 goals+assists/90

Suarez:
Club all comps
0,68 goals/90
1,01 goals+assists/90
National team:
0,57 goals/90
0,77 goals+assists/90

The new superstars sure looks promising.
For me productivity per 90 mins is the most telling statistic for a striker, followed by how those numbers change across clubs/teams they play for.

I thought last year Haaland was already in with a shout and now I'm certain of it. Benzema is the only one who can compete with his big game performances, but the way Haaland has come to a totally different, far harder league, and is literally breaking records is beyond impressive. Lewa is getting old and starting to stat pad, and Mbappe is falling away from the conversation. If Haaland delivers in the CL it will be beyond doubt.

Its been 30 years since we've seen a striker look like he was a man against boys the way Haaland does.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Really because Im pretty sure Haaland plays for city (and has been banging in a ton of goals) and Lewandowski plays for Barca

so i dont think that is up to date
Those stats are for the calendar year 2022, the first team they played for this year is in the Lust.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
The whole thread is kinda mixed up between people looking at today, the last 3 seasons or the last decade.
Today: Lewandowski
Last 3 seasons: Lewandowski
Last decade: Lewandowski

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Those stats are for the calendar year 2022, the first team they played for this year is in the Lust.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/erl...21&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

shows haaland scored 9 league goals in 2022 for dortmund ... hes scored 10 goals for city so Im saying 100% those stats are wrong (they say 16)

2 against freiberg in jan
1 against hofenheim in jan
2 against wolfsberg in april
3 against bochum in april
1 against hertha in may

he also sored in the dfb cup january and got 3 international friendly goals in march

he also scored 5 in the UEFA B League for norway in 2022

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/erl...22&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

plus 10 in the premier league

league goals alone is 19 ... total is 28

so yeah those stats are not even all his league goals in 2022 to date so they are 100% for sure wrong.

Mbappe has 34 in the calander year so far for example

19 league last season in 2022
7 league this season
2 Champions league
2 international friendly
3 french cup
1 UEFA league

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kyl...22&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kyl...21&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

so the table isnt what you say it is

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If you want your team to score a goal and you can pick a dude out of every player alive, surely it's Haaland? Even in the infamous PL he looks like he's playing toddlers.

He's not as silky as Benzema or as dribbly as Mbappe, but no I've never seen someone who made scoring look as easy as Haaland.

Basso

Benzema is no 1 due to delivering when it s crunch time. I don't really recall any massive Lewandowski moments in the CL the last few years with Bayern.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
For me productivity per 90 mins is the most telling statistic for a striker, followed by how those numbers change across clubs/teams they play for.

I thought last year Haaland was already in with a shout and now I'm certain of it. Benzema is the only one who can compete with his big game performances, but the way Haaland has come to a totally different, far harder league, and is literally breaking records is beyond impressive. Lewa is getting old and starting to stat pad, and Mbappe is falling away from the conversation. If Haaland delivers in the CL it will be beyond doubt.

Its been 30 years since we've seen a striker look like he was a man against boys the way Haaland does.
485 mins and 10 goals in the premier league! 48.5 ins a goal

he has an assist as well so currently at a goal or an assist every 44 mins ... lets just call in one a half

he seems to have adapted ok to the premier league so far!... lets see if the premier league can adapt to him?