Best to write yesterday’s game off as irrelevant

Classical Mechanic

I hope you’re right. It’s the deja vu that’s killing me. Hot streak followed by long run of diabolical performances. We’ve seen this before and the bad run is only getting started.
I know what you’re saying and I am sceptical about Ole but there are fairly unique circumstances because of Covid.

I should have given the thread a less hyperbolic title though :D

Green_Red

So our excuse now for being dogshit and showing no real teeth in two homes games is "well at least all the other teams aren't winning either". Lovely!

Those players today were lucky the fans weren't in the stadium to watch that I think Maguire would have felt the fire from the stretford for those mistakes.

el3mel

Best to write this entire season as irrelevant. Let's talk about next season.

redshaw

Perhaps the Liverpool Villa result encapsulates the problem of lack of pre-season and sharpness plus we have a full season starting with no crowds and it adds a training match feel where things can be more erratic.

For City and Pool they've been very fit in the past and have very demanding taskmasters as coaches. I feel they'll be back sooner than us for sure.

We've been blitzed by Zaha. Blitzed by Brighton but they couldn't get the goals they deserved, and roasted by Son/Kane.

The Palace opening 10 mins also shows exactly where we are ie not ready in the slightest, they had us pinned in our own half for 10 mins, were running rings around us and got a goal on 7mins then sat back more and just picked us off and had many attempts. Our backline has been torn to shreds in all three PL games.

I'd say write off the start of the season is more accurate as we're simply not ready and only time will tell if we can finish strong again.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Are Man. United in a worse state now than 12 months back?

Just checked and this time last year you lost 1-0 at Newcastle. Had 9 points from 8 games and hadn't scored more than once in any game since the opening one v Chelsea.

That Newcastle game had Young, Dalot, Tuanzebe, Mata and Pereira all starting.

Guess OGS is one of those streaky managers but I do think he needs to make some big calls now. Drop De Gea as while he might not be at fault for every goal it's clear there's a lack of confidence in him now so he needs time out to regroup.

Perhaps give Axel a run of games if he can actually stay fit for 5 minutes. Also seem to have lost any sort of balance in central midfield since Pogba was put back in starting 11 so perhaps go back to midfield that started v Man. City in the last game pre lockdown.

Cloud7

So we’re back here again are we? Best to call this entire season irrelevant and be done with it, if we’re just going to keep jumping to this every few games.

Tel074

This will upset a lot of people on here but yesterday’s game is not any sort of indicator as to how our season will go.

Tiredness early in the season comes from a lack of ‘match fitness’ and not over playing. Palace will now be at match fitness, their three games in eight days will not have tired them out, rather it will have got them where they need to be fitness wise.

We are behind on fitness and paid for it yesterday.

Its not an ‘excuse’. Covid-19 has messed up the football schedule and that has consequences.

The players were crap yesterday to a man but I don’t see any reason to start getting worried.

I know what you mean . Football atm is crazy as Villa proved scoring 7 against possibly the best team in the world. United have been miles off the pace in the PL since the season began.
I don't agree on not seeing a reason to be worried . We have been absolutely humped in all 3 PL games so far . Brighton hit the woodwork 5/6 times against us .

cyril C

Perhaps the Liverpool Villa result encapsulates the problem of lack of pre-season and sharpness plus we have a full season starting with no crowds and it adds a training match feel where things can be more erratic.

For City and Pool they've been very fit in the past and have very demanding taskmasters as coaches. I feel they'll be back sooner than us for sure.

We've been blitzed by Zaha. Blitzed by Brighton but they couldn't get the goals they deserved, and roasted by Son/Kane.

The Palace opening 10 mins also shows exactly where we are ie not ready in the slightest, they had us pinned in our own half for 10 mins, were running rings around us and got a goal on 7mins then sat back more and just picked us off and had many attempts. Our backline has been torn to shreds in all three PL games.

I'd say write off the start of the season is more accurate as we're simply not ready and only time will tell if we can finish strong again.
I accept poor pre-season preparation is the main cause, but what happened to the 3CB against big team last season? Why Lindelof didn't start when he was about the only better performer last 2 games. Why Ole insisted on starting Pogba when Fred or McTom are in better form?

Some senior players were out of form in 1st game is acceptable, as you need to rest them, but doesn't mean your entire squad is out of form. Ole could have prepared 11 players for the 1st 2 games and ease the rest into the season. Apparently the fitter players like Fred and McTom were bench as soon as the big names return, regardless of form. I don't know the condition of the defenders, may be all are shit, Jones and Rojo didn't care

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Third consecutive crap start to a season, after 2018 and 2019. It has to stop. Good enough for finishing Top6 but at this rate we will never win a PL again in many years. And Top6 is not acceptable. Top4 is. And this 1-6 has been a particular nadir of the post-2013 era.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
We really need to start seasons better. Last 3 have been shambolic and completely set the tone. Last season was only saved by Bruno and lockdown.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Best to write off the manager as irrelevant

RedDevil@84

Not important in the larger scheme of things. When we win the PL and CL in five years, we will know the value of the Ole project. Till that point, results are irrelevant and overrated

Icemav

We're better off focusing on the League rather than Champions League anyways in all honesty. Need to qualify for the Champions League.
True. League is paramont and where we should be judged ultimately. Its our bread and butter and where we need to ascend. CL is amazing but its icing on the cake.

RashyForPM

True. League is paramont and where we should be judged ultimately. Its our bread and butter and where we need to ascend. CL is amazing but its icing on the cake.
I think he’s joking :lol: ‘CL doesn’t matter we need to focus on the league to qualify for CL’. You could be joking too though I can’t tell.

Classical Mechanic

Been a lot of irrelevant games so far eh OP?
It's fair to say that our form has increased massively since the pathetic meltdown by numerous posters at the start of the season. Fact is that we were in a very tough CL group and we were very competitive in it. It was a big disappointment and a massive bodge job ultimately given that we won our first two games against last seasons finalist and semi finalist. If we win our game in hand in the league we're two points off top spot so yes our form and standard has improved greatly since those early disrupted games.

Last edited:

Water Melon

Yes, we wrote off Europa league last season to focus on the Prem and get Top 4. This season we have already written off the CL that we
were aiming for last season. In fact, you can not write competitions off. In fact your ultimate goals is to win trophies in those competitions.

Icemav

I think he’s joking :lol: ‘CL doesn’t matter we need to focus on the league to qualify for CL’. You could be joking too though I can’t tell.
Didnt get he was joking but I am not joking. Fergie won 13 league titles at United. Fergie won 2 Champions league titles at United which is the same as Gerrard for Liverpool. Gerrard won zero league titles in 17 years for Pool.

Winning the league forms the foundations of greatness. It should always be our number 1 priority. Having a good cup run is different, but it can certainly be the icing on the cake for a team especially if they can do the double. Winning the CL and say finishing 3rd in your domestic league means you arent the best in your country but had a blessed cup run.... great for the fans but does little for legacy.

Teja

I see the Ole out brigade parading around in full force. Best wait a few weeks for us to put a title run together and they'll go back into their shells.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes, we wrote off Europa league last season to focus on the Prem and get Top 4. This season we have already written off the CL that we
were aiming for last season. In fact, you can not write competitions off. In fact your ultimate goals is to win trophies in those competitions.
That didn’t happen. In fact, loads of people on here were pissed off at how Ole kept picking strong teams in the Europa.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Didnt get he was joking but I am not joking. Fergie won 13 league titles at United. Fergie won 2 Champions league titles at United which is the same as Gerrard for Liverpool. Gerrard won zero league titles in 17 years for Pool.

Winning the league forms the foundations of greatness. It should always be our number 1 priority. Having a good cup run is different, but it can certainly be the icing on the cake for a team especially if they can do the double. Winning the CL and say finishing 3rd in your domestic league means you arent the best in your country but had a blessed cup run.... great for the fans but does little for legacy.
I agree with this.

Client6

I get the frustration - United (the manager AND the players) had it in their grasp multiple times and threw it away every single time, especially when we had the chance to dump those annoying pricks at PSG. Nothing can be done now, let's take it on the chin and hope the team and the staff have learnt a stinging lesson here.

We must look at the silver lining (for what else can we do?) of no longer having critical midweek games in Europe, and hope the team gets their head down and focuses on the league.

croadyman

I see the Ole out brigade parading around in full force. Best wait a few weeks for us to put a title run together and they'll go back into their shells.
I will not be going back into my shell as my stance on Ole has been exactly the same since March 2019

Water Melon

That didn’t happen. In fact, loads of people on here were pissed off at how Ole kept picking strong teams in the Europa.
Agree with that. We bottled in Europa firstand then just went on about our business in the prem.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Liverpool uner Klopp reached the Europa and CL finals and won the CL before winning the league, I'm not sure why it has to be done in the "correct" order.

Water Melon

A title run? Great. Saving it for the future. Stick to your guns. If we do not go on a title run then you are absolutely deluded when it comes to Ole. Then all the shells you were talking about are yours. If we do go on a title run, then I am absolutely sure that each and every Ole doubter will admit to being wrong. Time will tell.