Television Best tv for ps5 gaming

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've got a tonne of things to buy at the moment for the house as I'm doing some work on it, but I might have any £450 that I want to put towards a new TV. Eventually will have a PS5 to play on it.

What are people's recommendations? Thinking between 55 and 65 inch. Would I get anything decent at that money or should I wait and put more money into it (if the Mrs allows)?

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I've got a tonne of things to buy at the moment for the house as I'm doing some work on it, but I might have any £450 that I want to put towards a new TV. Eventually will have a PS5 to play on it.

What are people's recommendations? Thinking between 55 and 65 inch. Would I get anything decent at that money or should I wait and put more money into it (if the Mrs allows)?
Definitely go bigger if you can.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
The problem with buying an 8K tv because there will be content in time, is that by the time there is available 8k content, there will be much better 8k televisions available at much better prices.

I always think you should buy the best tv for the currently widely available content at the best price.
This is great advice, and at the prices I'm thinking of im worried it'll be obsolete quickly. I mean 4 grand for a TV it needs to be everything doesn't it. So a 4k TV at 75inch there's a lot of options aren't there. The lg oled one I like is fecking £4.5k. So if I want a good 4k 75" that doesn't cost the earth I think I should ditch oled to be honest.

diarm

This is great advice, and at the prices I'm thinking of im worried it'll be obsolete quickly. I mean 4 grand for a TV it needs to be everything doesn't it. So a 4k TV at 75inch there's a lot of options aren't there. The lg oled one I like is fecking £4.5k. So if I want a good 4k 75" that doesn't cost the earth I think I should ditch oled to be honest.
I don't know if I'd be ditching Oled but I'm not a big fan of Samsung so I'm probably biased.

I'm looking to upgrade soon but there's no way my wife will let me get a 75". She's fairly adamant 55 is plenty but I reckon I might be able to sneak in the 65 LG oled and pretend she's imagining the difference.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I don't know if I'd be ditching Oled but I'm not a big fan of Samsung so I'm probably biased.

I'm looking to upgrade soon but there's no way my wife will let me get a 75". She's fairly adamant 55 is plenty but I reckon I might be able to sneak in the 65 LG oled and pretend she's imagining the difference.
Definitely do that she's probably won't break out the tape measure.

passing-wind

Cool it is between lg and samsung. So is this tv and the gx a better tv than the samsung QE75Q900TS. The qe75 will have a great picture and does have on 2.1 port but maybe oled should be the deal breaker I'm guessing. Plus the qe75 will be cheaper soon aswell. It has been between the qe75 and the gx so far.
I've used the Samsung and the problem with the QLED will always be the black levels, patchy images of dark shades that distort any scenes that experience darkness in motion. The OLED is night and day better. The QLED is a great choice on the merit of value but if it's not a compromise financially I'd go for the OLED.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I’m intending on upgrading my TV this year. And I am considering the LG CX 65”. Last years model. Do people reckon this will still be available throughout the year with the release of the 2021 model in mind? I’m hoping it will come down in price as it’s about €2,300 at moment in Ireland

Does anyone have any worry about screen burn for this TV?

Also are all 4 HDMI ports fully 4K /HDR? My existing Sony 55” has 4 ports but only 2 of them are 4K. The other 2 or 1080p

If I am not mistaken @esmufc07 is the resident expert on these matters

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I’m intending on upgrading my TV this year. And I am considering the LG CX 65”. Last years model. Do people reckon this will still be available throughout the year with the release of the 2021 model in mind? I’m hoping it will come down in price as it’s about €2,300 at moment in Ireland

Also are all 4 HDMI ports fully 4K /HDR? My existing Sony 55” has 4 ports but only 2 of them are 4K. The other 2 or 1080p

You are a wise one.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

All four are hdmi 2.1.

Shops will not have those TV's around for long - John Lewis dropped it to 1799 just a couple of months ago before taking it back up to 2300 where it seems to have stuck.

The problem is that it's the best TV on the market, so it's very popular, which in turn, suggests you won't get one for dirt cheap because when the shops take a couple of hundred off the current price, they're likely to sell out.

It's a risky gamble on your part as if you do hold out and happen to find one, it will be reduced by a considerable amount once the 2021 editions are released.

I'd keep an eye on the prices every week, and if it does so happen to go 1799 again, bite because that's a great price.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The 70+ don't drop in price much, but you can forget about the tech remaining A1 beyond maybe 18-24 months. Your best thing is to not look at the current models once you take the plunge, or it'll drive you mad.

I kinda regret not getting 77" CX for the living room, but at the same time, there's no way I'm trusting someone who doesn't respect potential screen burn with a TV of that price.

nooshka

What’s the deal with screen burn? Like how long does it need to be paused for the screen to burn? I would love an OLED TV but I’ve got 2 young kids and a forgetful missus who’s guaranteed to leave it on at some point.

With that being the case is the difference between OLED and UHD that big a difference?

Bojan11

@Bojan11 no screen burn yet. The screen saver is working a charm.
Nice. Have you done any gaming on it?

@Reditus I had a look and can't find the C9, which is the 2019 model anywhere besides Ebay. You don't want to buy a TV off Ebay, especially OLED.

All the CX stock at the moment is probably the last that retailers will get. It wouldn't make sense to carry on production when the C1 is pretty much identical.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

@Reditus I had a look and can't find the C9, which is the 2019 model anywhere besides Ebay. You don't want to buy a TV off Ebay, especially OLED.

All the CX stock at the moment is probably the last that retailers will get. It wouldn't make sense to carry on production when the C1 is pretty much identical.
Just came in this thread to post this.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What’s the deal with screen burn? Like how long does it need to be paused for the screen to burn? I would love an OLED TV but I’ve got 2 young kids and a forgetful missus who’s guaranteed to leave it on at some point.

With that being the case is the difference between OLED and UHD that big a difference?
There's quite a bit of discussion regarding how long it takes, but more particularly over whether channels with strong images/logos/overlays leave the burned impression - pausing an OLED on a static image with a logo, for example, is a recipe for disaster and certainly something you can't be negligent over.

Fortunately, most OLED's have protective measures such as timed screensavers or programs they'll run once the tv is in standby that will work to keep the screen in A1 condition. Where this can fall down is with external devices, such as a Blu Ray player or a console that doesn't dull the screen in standby for a concerted period of time. Like you, I've a OH who is not looking out for the well-being of the TV, but the TV is doing a marvellous job of protecting itself thus far.

I think kids' channels with vibrant logos and images would be a sterner test, but if you have channels that are likely to be on for hours that do have static overlays, switching channels from time to time is paramount as well as ensuring the TV gets a chance to run its scans in standby overnight.

There's a huge difference between OLED and UHD, but that's not everything if the risk of screen burn is too strong as in terms of durability, the UHD is a no-brainer.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Same one I've already got. It lives up to the hype for gaming. Most important for me was response time and input lag and it matches my monitors for that. Definitely justifies the hype.

The wand remote is not for everybody, however.

Reditus

All four are hdmi 2.1.

Shops will not have those TV's around for long - John Lewis dropped it to 1799 just a couple of months ago before taking it back up to 2300 where it seems to have stuck.

The problem is that it's the best TV on the market, so it's very popular, which in turn, suggests you won't get one for dirt cheap because when the shops take a couple of hundred off the current price, they're likely to sell out.

It's a risky gamble on your part as if you do hold out and happen to find one, it will be reduced by a considerable amount once the 2021 editions are released.

I'd keep an eye on the prices every week, and if it does so happen to go 1799 again, bite because that's a great price.
Thanks for this. Will certainly be watching price

diarm

Thats the model I'm looking at as well. Currys had it down to €2199 a couple of weeks ago but it's back up to €2399 now. This years C1 was announced recently and I think pricing/availability will be announced end of February / March. It's possible that some deals will be found then as they try to sell of stock before the new models come in.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Reditus @diarm the Cx65 is 1899 currently at John Lewis and I saw it for the same price on LG's own site, which is probably the biggest indicator that this is the purge run in preparation for for the new model. If you've not purchased yet but were waiting for another price drop, this is probably a smart time to do so.

If you're bold enough to hold out and hope to pick one up further down the line, more power to you, but I'd wonder if that opportunity will present itself, personally.

Reditus

@Reditus @diarm the Cx65 is 1899 currently at John Lewis and I saw it for the same price on LG's own site, which is probably the biggest indicator that this is the purge run in preparation for for the new model. If you've not purchased yet but were waiting for another price drop, this is probably a smart time to do so.

If you're bold enough to hold out and hope to pick one up further down the line, more power to you, but I'd wonder if that opportunity will present itself, personally.
Thanks, I am in Ireland so I wil lcheck local places now to see if they follow suit

pocco

loco
Any recommendations on a decent tv for max £650? Ideally something that will work well with a PS5. Thinking 55-65 inch.

If nobody can recommend a tv in particular, what sort of features does it ideally need to have to maximise the PS5 features? HDMI 2.1? 120hz? That sort of thing.

pocco

loco

Bojan11

Any recommendations on a decent tv for max £650? Ideally something that will work well with a PS5. Thinking 55-65 inch.

If nobody can recommend a tv in particular, what sort of features does it ideally need to have to maximise the PS5 features? HDMI 2.1? 120hz? That sort of thing.
HDMI 2.1 TV will probably be above that price range. I might be wrong though.

It's not a necessary requirement though. Everyone harps on about the LG OLEDS having it, but that TV is recommended because the screen is brilliant and it has low input lag when it comes to gaming.

So you don't really need it because not many games on the new consoles are going to be 4k 120fps. There will be a few exceptions, but don't expect any big single player game to even be 4k 60fps let alone 120fps. Just go for something that's been reviewed online, so you get an idea on how the picture quality is going to be like.

pocco

loco
HDMI 2.1 TV will probably be above that price range. I might be wrong though.

It's not a necessary requirement though. Everyone harps on about the LG OLEDS having it, but that TV is recommended because the screen is brilliant and it has low input lag when it comes to gaming.

So you don't really need it because not many games on the new consoles are going to be 4k 120fps. There will be a few exceptions, but don't expect any big single player game to even be 4k 60fps let alone 120fps. Just go for something that's been reviewed online, so you get an idea on how the picture quality is going to be like.
Cheers mate.

Any of those above worth considering?

G-manc

We changed our TV late last year and although i don't own a PS5 yet, it was in the back of my mind. My youngest son is autistic and watches pretty much the same TV channels with logos and i've always been put off OLED due to the potential screen burn issues as i've heard most manufacturers won't cover under warranty.

We opted for a Samsung Q80T - has a 2.1 port and the required refresh rate and i'm more than pleased so far.

Jerch

Just came to this thread looking a topic about ps5 which i just got.

About TV. Few months ago I got Sony xh90 75" which has 2.1 hdmi, vvr and other stuff for 1,5k euros. Its great companion to PS5. Don't know if it is still in stores but if u can get it on sale go for it.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Just came to this thread looking a topic about ps5 which i just got.

About TV. Few months ago I got Sony xh90 75" which has 2.1 hdmi, vvr and other stuff for 1,5k euros. Its great companion to PS5. Don't know if it is still in stores but if u can get it on sale go for it.
I'll check it out is a 75inch tv amazing then

pocco

loco
Anybody got recommendations on setting up picture settings on an LG? The NANO86 model, to be precise.

It comes with standards setting for Games, Movies, HDR etc but I'm not really well up on this stuff and not sure what's what with all that. But I've heard it's better to set up the picture yourself rather than rely on the programmed settings that are set up as standard.

Abraxas

Anybody got recommendations on setting up picture settings on an LG? The NANO86 model, to be precise.

It comes with standards setting for Games, Movies, HDR etc but I'm not really well up on this stuff and not sure what's what with all that. But I've heard it's better to set up the picture yourself rather than rely on the programmed settings that are set up as standard.
You would be better off having a look on avforums for that type of advice. Somebody will have the TV and they're technically minded over there.

Most TVs come reasonably setup out of the box these days, at least Sony's do so I would go for Cinema or similar in the meantime as it's generally closer to reference point than the heavily saturated colours of other modes. Game mode for gaming, obviously.

Just make sure you keep brightness on full for HDR.

pocco

loco
You would be better off having a look on avforums for that type of advice. Somebody will have the TV and they're technically minded over there.

Most TVs come reasonably setup out of the box these days, at least Sony's do so I would go for Cinema or similar in the meantime as it's generally closer to reference point than the heavily saturated colours of other modes. Game mode for gaming, obviously.

Just make sure you keep brightness on full for HDR.
Cheers mate, I'll try AVForums!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Cheers mate, I'll try AVForums!
Just be careful as they tend to be the kind guys that like to turn everything off because it’s the most natural or whatever, but it doesn’t necessarily mean it looks best.

Kinda similar to audiophiles who love listening to music as flat as possible ‘as it was intended’ on studio monitor standard gear, even though it was never actually intended to be listened like that.

Sometimes the extra stuff the tv (or sound system) adds is nicer.

For gaming though, you will want most stuff off, to reduce lag. Gaming mode should do this for you.

Abraxas

Just be careful as they tend to be the kind guys that like to turn everything off because it’s the most natural or whatever, but it doesn’t necessarily mean it looks best.

Kinda similar to audiophiles who love listening to music as flat as possible ‘as it was intended’ on studio monitor standard gear, even though it was never actually intended to be listened like that.

Sometimes the extra stuff the tv (or sound system) adds is nicer.

For gaming though, you will want most stuff off, to reduce lag. Gaming mode should do this for you.
True, I like a bit of smoothening for general TV which I would be considered a philistine for in those parts!