Best United Captain

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Keane by a country mile, he is the greatest captain I have ever seen.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm absolutely gobsmacked that Keano gets so many votes.

On the basis that captaincy is about leadership on the field, my vote goes to: -

1. Sir Bobby Charlton
2. Robbo
I refuse to believe you're old enough to have seen Charlton play.

Robson get's my vote, with Keane very close second.

I'm always right

Sadly I don't have a chance to see any other captain bar Keane, so he got my vote.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Cantona, was he that bad?
Being behind Robbo, Keane och Buchan doesn't make you bad.

That's like asking if Cantona was a bad player because he was behind Best, Maradona and Pele.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Being behind Robbo, Keane och Buchan doesn't make you bad.

That's like asking if Cantona was a bad player because he was behind Best, Maradona and Pele.
How was he? I know he's a bad example for many, but his charisma is there for everyone to see. Geniune question, can you describe him? I haven't had the previledge to watch the king plays

I'm always right

How was he? I know he's a bad example for many, but his charisma is there for everyone to see. Geniune question, can you describe him? I haven't had the previledge to watch the king plays
Brilliant and a great leader in a totally different way to Robbo and Keane. It was all about the aura with Eric. And the year we beat Newcastle to league, now that was captain stuff, it was Cantona 1 - 0 Other Team so many times in the run-in.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Brilliant and a great leader in a totally different way to Robbo and Keane. It was all about the aura with Eric. And the year we beat Newcastle to league, now that was captain stuff, it was Cantona 1 - 0 Other Team so many times in the run-in.
That was a fantastic run in. You didnt even need to check the score, you just new it would be 1-0, Cantona, with the great dane making a string of fantastic saves at the other end.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Robbo was chosen for his ability to lead by example and wqas respect by the team.

With all his abilities, I suspect that Keane was chosen by Fergie to calm Keano down by giving him responsibility esp with his off the field antics in his younger days.

Ringo 07

Keane by a country mile. How anyone could say Robbo ahead of him is beyond me. Nobody dared step out of line with Keane as captain. He was happy to bring the young players down a level in public if their heads got too big. He would absolutely annihilate any player on the pitch or at half time who was not pulling their weight. He made sure every player prepared to perfection and he always jumped in if one of his teammates were getting a hard time from the opposition. Even Darren Fletcher said not too long ago that a lot of the intence work ethic that the team has today was because of Keanes influence.
Robbo was a monster on the pitch and lead by example by giving his all but Keane was Fergie on the pitch and thats why Fergie never stopped singing his praises. Its amazing how little love there is for Keane by some on here despite all the effort he gave just because he didnt say what they wanted to hear a few times.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The legendary Martin Buchan what a brilliant player and captain..... yet I would still go for Bryan Robson, the ultimate football leader.
Yeah to be fair Im with you, Buchan did a great job during a tough period but ultimately I think you are right Robson was brilliant.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Robbo, no question about it. He carried United through the 80's. Anyone who doesn't say Robbo didn't see United in the time he was there.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
From a spiritual point of view it was Robbo, he would even put his health on the line for the club and that's exactly what he did. Captain Marvel!
In terms of being a leader on the pitch Keano was the best, he was like the managers extension in the team playing.

no.7

went to watch united from the age of 7 - now 50 years old, got to say robbo , kean would be last on my list, met him a few times - tosser - great player - but what a tosser, realy a horrible person

I'm always right

Keane by a country mile. How anyone could say Robbo ahead of him is beyond me.
Daft comment. "country mile"... get a fecking grip.

Its amazing how little love there is for Keane by some on here despite all the effort he gave just because he didnt say what they wanted to hear a few times.
There is a LOT of love for Roy Keane... get a fecking grip.

Lynk

Well i watched em both and Keane was Fantastic but captain Marvel takes it for me.

He literally carried United and England.
Keane was the heartbeat of our greatest ever team, and we fell apart without him in 1997. Not only that but his performances for Ireland particularly against the Netherlands were out of this world. As much as I love and respect Robson he never struck me as the kind of captain to strike up much motivation in the dressing room, Keane did it both in the dressing room and on the pitch.

It's probably important to quote Darren Fletcher on this.

If you didn’t get it right, you got told in no uncertain terms.’
By whom?
‘Roy Keane and Gary Neville. That was enough.’
According to Fletcher, Keane is the unsung hero behind Manchester United’s present dominance.

Roy (Keane) was probably
the biggest influence on my
career. Rules about getting in
a half-hour early, they were
his instructions and those
traditions continue'

The playing squad still adheres to his rules, his discipline, still remembers the monsterings he would give players who failed to conform to his exacting standards. Fletcher was a favourite target, apparently, although he bears no grudges, or nervous ticks, as a result.
‘Roy was probably the biggest influence on my career,’ he says. ‘He would come down hard on me if I ever did anything wrong but he made me realise what it meant to be a Manchester United player.
‘I can remember coming in from training one day and checking my mobile phone for text messages. Well, that was it. He absolutely hammered me, all the way into the gym.
‘He was a great influence, really. If Roy had a go at you, he did it because he cared. He was the best captain you could wish for. He would tear you to shreds on the pitch if you gave away the ball, “get your effing touch right, effing this, effing that” but, as soon as you got into the dressing room, it was over. He was a winner. I’ve met dedicated professionals but he had something else.

‘The first time was scary, you thought, “Oh, I can’t make a mistake here”, but it was actually the best schooling you could get.
‘It was a shame the way it ended for him here. It’s hard to talk about the criticism and what he said, because we all looked up to him so much, he was respected by everybody.
‘We all just wish it hadn’t happened. He was our captain, he was our leader and he left a mark: where we are now is down to him, our dedication comes from the standards he set. The rules about time-keeping, about getting in a half-hour early, they were his instructions back in the day and those traditions continue.
‘Even now as a first-team player you make sure the young lads are in check, you make sure they are on time. It is so professional now. Everyone is in the gym after training trying to get that edge, urine samples before training, readiness tests to see if your body is up for training.

Read more: DARREN FLETCHER EXCLUSIVE: Teetotaller on being Fergie's enforcer | Mail Online

7dan

Its getting tickly now–squeaky-bum time, I call it
One day he will be and he will be great, just because he doesn't wear the armband at the moment, doesn't mean he is not a leader of men
:rolleyes:

if he wants to wear the armband and captain United hed want to show the club and fans more respect then he did October last,
i still haven't forgot and itl be a while before i sing his name again.

I'm always right

As much as I love and respect Robson he never struck me as the kind of captain to strike up much motivation in the dressing room.

Then you misunderstand massively.

Robbo was a top notch motivator, and we fell apart worse without him then we did when Keano was missing, that I can assure you. I remember Sharpey talking about Robbo and saying he never saw anything else like him, he ran everything, the players, the ref, the opposition, even the bloody sideline.

"Robbo never struck me as a motivator".... feck me, I've heard some things in here!

Lynk

Then you misunderstand massively.

Robbo was a top notch motivator, and we fell apart worse without him then we did when Keano was missing, that I can assure you. I remember Sharpey talking about Robbo and saying he never saw anything else like him, he ran everything, the players, the ref, the opposition, even the bloody sideline.

"Robbo never struck me as a motivator".... feck me, I've heard some things in here!
He motivated players by setting a standard on the pitch more-so than in the dressing room, Robson may have been a better player but Keane was a better captain.

I'm always right

He motivated players by setting a standard on the pitch more-so than in the dressing room, Robson may have been a better player but Keane was a better captain.
But that's not true. Robbo wasn't Steven Gerrard, he was a "proper" captain in every sense of the word.

Check how he never stops organising... great great captain.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Keane was the heartbeat of our greatest ever team, and we fell apart without him in 1997. Not only that but his performances for Ireland particularly against the Netherlands were out of this world. As much as I love and respect Robson he never struck me as the kind of captain to strike up much motivation in the dressing room, Keane did it both in the dressing room and on the pitch.

Jesus!

I have no idea what to say to that!