Best United moment & why...what made it so special

Slartibartfast

21st March 1984 v Barcelona - in the Stretford End with 3 mates - a simply unforgettable experience, I have gone on to see better on the pitch performances from some great United teams, but as a football moment in time that was the peak for me.

Revaulx

Awful as it was, there was something cathartic about getting relegated in 1974.

We’d been terrible since Christmas 1971. The Doc saved us from relegation in 1973 by kicking the opposition off the field. The football was no better the following season but results were even worse.

Over the summer the most amazing transformation took place and the same squad started playing dazzling attacking football. The feeling of joy and optimism after years of decline has only been matched since by the first league win in 1993 and the two Champions’ Leagues.

Lougie86

Supports
Partick Thistle
I was only 12 when we won in 1999 so didn't really appreciate properly at the time. Moscow ended up as more of a relief due to it being one on penalties and the nerves that brings but obviously a great feeling afterwards.

The 2016 FA Cup final I was in Ibiza, halfway through a mates week long stag do and going through various stages of being hungover and delirious. We went down to a boozer and I'm pretty sure I was the only United fan in there, or if I wasn't then I was the only one making any noise.

My best mate hates United and was desperate for Palace to beat us. With us down to ten men he was loving it and really felt we were going to lose it. Then Jesse scores that absolute screamer and I went bonkers!!

Maybe it was due to having to sit through that awful football for 2 years under LVG (even if his press conferences were gold). Maybe it was the feeling of everyone being against United in the pub and me getting it over them all. Or maybe it was the sun, booze and all the rest of it in Ibiza but that was a really special feeling for me when Jesse smashed in that rocket :devil::devil:

PeteReDevil

iPete
"Watching" the 99 CL final on manutd.com's livetracker :lol: A mate had come to watch it with me and we were both on the brink of crying at 90 mins. The two goals sent us screaming and flying around the room - traumatizing both my girlfriend and our cat.

Oldyella

99 is the obvious one, some fantastic memories as we got closer and closer, every game felt massively important, myself and 3 friends basically copied the same routine for every game, meeting at the same house as we didn't want to jinx anything.

For game I was actually at, would say the Macheda goal, honestly thought I was going to collapse celebrating that.

kentafuji

For me 2008 champ league final. It was also my 21st birthday, so to be able to celebrate that win on what was already a special day was fantastic. I hadnt even bothered with a party, just had some family and friends round to watch the game with us.

Great night, although tense at times, and I think I spent alot of it with my hands over my eyes. Especially the penalties. But, JT made it very special with that miss

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Bruce's late header against Wednesday. We were there. We were over the line. We were going to win the league. I was young, but you could still feel the 26 years hanging over us and we had ended drought. It helps, looking back, that it set in motion the most successful period in our history.

RD76

There are so many obvious ones, but I'll go for the 1985 FA cup. The goals in the semi final replay were superb, then to win the cup against that Everton side, with 10 men, in extra time with that goal from big Norm, was just stunning.

I was 8 and they were absolute heroes.

Reactions: SteveJ

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Bruce's late header against Wednesday. We were there. We were over the line. We were going to win the league. I was young, but you could still feel the 26 years hanging over us and we had ended drought. It helps, looking back, that it set in motion the most successful period in our history.
Same match for me. My first time at Old Trafford. Two Steve Bruce headers late on to win it. Ferguson and Kidd dancing on the pitch.

The best part though, and I never tire of watching it, is for the second Bruce goal. Nigel Worthington standing on the post, could have comfortably cleared it but stood there hand on hip casually watching the ball go past him. No idea what he was doing.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Cup wins and PL titles are great but for me it was the win against Crystal Palace in 1993 that sealed our first League title for 20+ years.
The emotions when Hughes' volley went in! I was right behind the goal. Grown men were crying that day. We went to dominate after that but that moment will always live in the memory

DavelinaJolie

Yeah, the '99 final. Watching it with my dad, and just going mental when Ole put that ball into the roof of the net. It was an amazing ending, and even watching it back now gives me goosebumps.

simplyared

It can only be 28 May, 1968 for me.

At the age of 15, a journey to the Smoke, with your mates, on the train from Piccadilly, was something that just did not happen.

Queued from the early hours outside, the OT ticket office with my tokens hoping it ’d be enough to get me a ticket. Yeees!

65-66 season lost out to Partizan Belgrade in the semi’s not being able to turn the 2-0 away defeat around at OT. It was now or never!

That Eusebio run: on is own, ball at his feet, only Stepney to beat and fires it straight at our keeper. We breathe again and go into extra time.

Bestie's goal: poetry in motion.

Manchester United 4, Benfica 1

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
As much as I cherish 99 I think I was a bit young to really understand the meanjng of it all at the time. It is without doubt 2008 CL. Weirdly I don’t get the nostalgic feelings with 08 but 99 gives me goose bumps when I hear “and Solsjkaer has won it”.

SAFTHEGREAT

It's a "what is you favourite United moment" thread yes, but I want to know what apart from United made it special?

Was it the people you were with, the place you were in or the way you were feeling in your life?

Mine is in the Champions League final 08 v Chelsea...and here's why.

I had been out of work for a few months and on the same day got a new temp job selling travel insurance for the next six months, I was chuffed.

I was in a really great little pub called the Counting House in Leicester. It was full of me and my mates and their GF's and everyone could see how much I loved United and wanted to win that they all became United fans for the night.

I remember I was so nervous that I could only stomach one pint all evening and back then that definitely wasn't like me :)

When we won I was on my mates shoulders being taken around the pub and even the my friends who don't like United were loving it just to see me so happy.

You know the one thing that made it for me though apart from all of the above? It was the three or four years previous. I remember being knocked out by Benfica in 2005 and thinking "has SAF lost it", can we ever get back to being the dominant force again?

When we won in 99 I was 14. I just assumed it would come back round again and it didn't. When I started going to pubs and watching us in 2004 we were still miles off I didn't know if we would win another league (Chelsea and Arsenal were smashing it then) let alone another Champions league.

To win it 2008 was the best I have ever felt as a United fan and it will never be topped for me for all the above reasons.

Anyway sorry to ramble on, just wondered what's yours...........
Great thread. It is indeed these stories that keep United fans close to one another. 2008 has been in our hearts for a decade now and i think we deserve a lot more than what we've got in the last 4 years. I loved the atmosphere at OT against Liverpool, it was mind blowing and super exciting. Specially when Rashford cut in and put on past Karius. I am fan from the early 2000's, my best memory of United is the signing of the legendary Ruud Van Nistelrooy. I enjoyed watching him in PSV and then when we signed him, i thought Sir Alex just read my mind. That was the moment i began to adore United and then i started to learn more about the club and its heirs and the legendary Busby babes and the Munich incident. It broke my heart but SAF changed the landscape of football for United along with the Class of 92'. There is so much emotional connection we have with this great club. I wouldn't switch clubs if there was a gun to my head. :lol:

Judas

Open to offers
CL final in 2008 with my dad, feel very lucky to have been there. Pretty scary how its coming up to ten years ago now, I remember the whole trip like it was yesterday.

I remember us both being all ready to make a quick and disappointed exit when Terry stepped up, had the programme in my hand, needless to say we ended up staying in the stadium a little bit longer.

alanjohnson

Does anyone remember the commentary on Century 105.4fm during the treble season?
We were pretty damn skint and didn't have sky. I used to listen to the big matches on the radio and watch the champions league matches on my TV in my room. The initial special moment though was when we played Liverpool in the fa cup and were losing with a few mins left. You know what happened....
The radio commentary was amazing.

Sidestory: my mates all supported Liverpool and used to wind me up when Arsenal won the double and then smashed us in the charity shield and then again in the league that yr. So losing the Liverpool in the cup would have been enough to make me hide for a month.
I developed a thing where I would watch the champions league games on TV but listen to the commentary on Century fm.
So that champions league final I swear at 88mins watching the match with the family n the family room..a lot of anger frustration sadness acceptance etc coming ...I started losing my nerve and dissint the commentators...and thenttold everyone it's because I'm watching it with them and not in my room "we always win when I watch in my room and when I listen to the radio"
I went up...switched my Tv/radio on...and sheringham scored...
Ran down going berserk.
Went back to my room...solkjaer scored the moment I walked in.

I know it sounds silly but to experience that was just crazy and the way it all happened.

I remember after the arsenal semi final a yank calling in to tell them hed listened to the commentary online and it was the best United experience he'd had.
They weren't as good the season after..the commentary got boring.

JohnLocke

The best has to be Moscow 2008.

I was in a pub with a bunch of other United fans, with Chelsea fans watching it upstairs. We obviously got embarassingly drunk; I still remember one of my friends celebrating Ashley Cole's penalty because he thought Van der Sar saved it (rewatch it, he got a hand to it and almost pushed it out) and I had to be the one to tell him it went in.
I thought that too, and was absolutely trashed watching it. Was good to watch (and win!) a CL final as an adult.

I was almost 16 when we won The Treble in 1999 but it can't be topped! Was on the phone to my friend (Liverpool fan) at the time and it was absolutely epic :devil:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Was 7 when we did the treble. All I remember that night are my uncles running up and down the house.
For me it was Moscow.
My mate and I were watching with a sea of Arsenal fans, who just wanted to see us lose.
After Ronaldo missed, he held me and we were both on the verge of tears. I don't remember, clearly but I think treat were already streaming down his face when JT was walking up.
The feeling when he missed was unbelievable. We'd forgotten that the tie wasn't over the way we celebrated.
To go from the depths of despair to such joy was really incredible.
10 yea without that trophy is too much for this club.
Another one that was very emotional for me was strangely the 2016 FA Cup final.
We had endured a proper shite 3 years and I was begining to feel this club would never win anything again. Not rational but that's how I felt. That win was such a relief. First post SAF trophy.
I will definitely cry the next time we win the league. Never cried cause of football but that will be the first.
We've taken so much shite from the ABUs in the last five years.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Cup wins and PL titles are great but for me it was the win against Crystal Palace in 1993 that sealed our first League title for 20+ years.
The emotions when Hughes' volley went in! I was right behind the goal. Grown men were crying that day. We went to dominate after that but that moment will always live in the memory
That ball from Cantona at 6.22 :eek:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Hughes's volley against Oldham, Bruce's double against Sheff Wed's and Giggs v Arsenal are hard to beat. But Solskjaer in 99 is impossible to surpass. The utter elation about winning the champions league and treble was incredible. Cars were just pulling up in the street so people could get out and scream out of pure joy in the middle of the road. The open top bus journey was so memorable. Best day ever.

montpelier

Barca 84, 1999 & Sparky's equaliser vs. Oldham probably

1st Title in yonks in 93 was a bit of an anti-climax somehow, and we weren't playing a game when it got won is maybe why

simplyared

Great thread. It is indeed these stories that keep United fans close to one another. 2008 has been in our hearts for a decade now and i think we deserve a lot more than what we've got in the last 4 years. I loved the atmosphere at OT against Liverpool, it was mind blowing and super exciting. Specially when Rashford cut in and put on past Karius. I am fan from the early 2000's, my best memory of United is the signing of the legendary Ruud Van Nistelrooy. I enjoyed watching him in PSV and then when we signed him, i thought Sir Alex just read my mind. That was the moment i began to adore United and then i started to learn more about the club and its heirs and the legendary Busby babes and the Munich incident. It broke my heart but SAF changed the landscape of football for United along with the Class of 92'. There is so much emotional connection we have with this great club. I wouldn't switch clubs if there was a gun to my head. :lol:
Nice to hear!

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
So many obviously. First goal I went absolutely fecking wild watching was Hughes's equaliser in the last minute against Oldham in 94. Next two that came close or equalled that were Cantona vs. Newcastle and Cantona vs Liverpool in 96. Then the treble season was just a long string of matches with moments like that. Since then I think my enthusiasm is a bit more tempered generally, probably Macheda is the biggest goal in that time.

Can7onA

For me 2008 champ league final. It was also my 21st birthday, so to be able to celebrate that win on what was already a special day was fantastic. I hadnt even bothered with a party, just had some family and friends round to watch the game with us.

Great night, although tense at times, and I think I spent alot of it with my hands over my eyes. Especially the penalties. But, JT made it very special with that miss
Boo I thought I was the only one with a CL win on my 21st Birthday!

My night was pretty much the same, mates and a few family members watching the match getting drunk, in 99 I had given up halfway through the second half as we were shite but that last few minutes will be with me for the rest of my life and when were old and annoying we can tell everyone how they won it on our 21st's!

I vaguely remember going to the local pub after the game and someone bought me a bottle of champagne and I sat there drinking it like I'd won the European Cup :)

Didn't even see them lift it till the next day :D

Web of Bissaka

Anyone remember the first game of the 2006-07 season where we completely blew Fulham away ? 4-0 inside the first 20 minutes. At that moment I felt something very special was beggining.
This. The most heightened/spiked special feeling personally and the best United moment (I don't remember the 99 much, too young then).

That moment and that season is the best one personally for me. Before that season, the WC Ron-Roon controversy which the press love to twist with their amazing narrative and the seasons before - United is not convincing enough, both in winning competitions nor does the football which tend to be dull at times. There are flashes of brilliance and the potential is there, very promising squad, yet overall I just can't feel it, and there was also doubts about SAF floating around. The one season just before the 06/07 is like a transition, RVN -> Saha, SAF's tactic back to more attacking and riskier, formation change to 4-4-2 or something like those.

Then the Fulham game, like shiii :eek: what is this, superb football, superb entertainment, superb team. Is this really United? The team's level and manager's approach are so different. And the form carried on until the end of the season. :drool:Pure bliss of a season. Oh and perhaps it's the first time I start to see what the fuss about SAF is all about. The winning mentality, and total attacking dominating approach. Damn, so good. That season form carry on to the next few seasons. Special moment, perhaps even be a special turning point.

Tbh, since then, no United moments are able to top it off or even able to reach the same heights of special feelings at least (although the 7-1 vs Roma, Vidic's defending and Ronaldo's unique freekicks are very close). Still waiting.

Last edited:

Parry Gallister

1999 Ole’s goal.

/thread
Impossible to top, a real fixed point in time for at least a couple of generations of united supporters. Favourite moment I was at the game for was the Forlan Liverpool away game, only one there I've ever been on, lunatic day.

idmanager

Owen against Manchester City.
Neighbors called the cops on our screams.

Full bodied red

First started going regularly to OT in 1958 - basically because my dad took me to Stockport County, Maine Road and OT over the Easter weekend and I just preferred the atmosphere at OT.

For the next few years, I ' supported ' United although it was more going to OT that I wanted / enjoyed.

And then....

1960 > 1961 season, Spurs won The Double, the first team to do it for 50+years and were everybodys' darlings, especially the newspapers and the BBC.

Early the next season, 9th September 1961 to be precise, we played them in a midweek night match at OT and the atmosphere was electric - my first night match, 57,000 people, most of them standing on the terraces, and under the floodlights with the smoke from the train station that used to be next to OT for matchdays swirling round the stadium, we beat them 1 - 0. And we did it with CF Alex Dawson in goals after Harry Gregg had gone off with a disclocated shoulder and then come come back on with his arm in a sling, playing CF, and a few minutes before the end of the match, he did a Pele-esque backheel in the penalty area to Albert Quixall who scored the only goal.

The roar at the final whistle was the loudest noise I've ever heard, before or since, and that match sealed my now 57 year love affair with United and OT.

Last edited:

Jamie Shawcross

Obviously that night in 99 sticks out as the most magical football moment as a fan, but for me the most poignant memorable moment for me was Ferguson's Old trafford fairwell. His speech brought me to tears and I don't break easily. I have never felt so sad yet so proud at the same time. I was hurting yet thankful for everything the man has done for us. In that moment I had a real sense of the end of an era, and the realisation that things will never be the same again. Special and heartbraking

Jamie Shawcross

Also, bumping into Scholes on holiday was pretty special for me. He has always been my footballing idol, in my opinion the best footballer I have ever seen and I always wanted to meet him. He lived a couple of miles from where I grew up but I never managed to bump into him despite many of my pals telling me he had been in the co op again picking up milk etc. I was in the algarve in 2004, landed on the night of the final of the euros between greece and portugal. The next day I was at a small village by the beach called Selema, and I glanced over the terrace to see none other than Scholes and his family sat at a table. I was gob smacked, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go over and say hello! I walked over and he was so kind, was happy for me to sit with him for a chat and was so laid back and not intimidating whatsoever. Sat there with his kids and his missus talking to me about his holiday and the euros etc. When I asked for an autograph, I had no pen and he kindly asked the waiter to bring a pen. The nicest, most down to earth person I have ever met. It made my holiday and I will never forget it. I thought I had mucked it all up though when I decided it would be a good idea to open with "You live near me"....

Theonas

Scout
Also, bumping into Scholes on holiday was pretty special for me. He has always been my footballing idol, in my opinion the best footballer I have ever seen and I always wanted to meet him. He lived a couple of miles from where I grew up but I never managed to bump into him despite many of my pals telling me he had been in the co op again picking up milk etc. I was in the algarve in 2004, landed on the night of the final of the euros between greece and portugal. The next day I was at a small village by the beach called Selema, and I glanced over the terrace to see none other than Scholes and his family sat at a table. I was gob smacked, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go over and say hello! I walked over and he was so kind, was happy for me to sit with him for a chat and was so laid back and not intimidating whatsoever. Sat there with his kids and his missus talking to me about his holiday and the euros etc. When I asked for an autograph, I had no pen and he kindly asked the waiter to bring a pen. The nicest, most down to earth person I have ever met. It made my holiday and I will never forget it. I thought I had mucked it all up though when I decided it would be a good idea to open with "You live near me"....
That's a nice story. Probably my favourite United player too but for some reason I would not have thought he would be so nice and laid back in person.

Hitchez

All the obvious ones have been mentioned. I quite liked the below moment. Not the best but quite special nonetheless given the context.

Castia

99 was absolutely brilliant but I was only 12 so I didn’t feel just how truly special it was at the time but I was watching it was a friend from school who was a City fan....his face when Ole and Sheringham scored.

But 08 is ultimate one for me, it was my birthday that day and winning on pens was a huge rollercoaster of emotions. Watching Ronaldo that season will go unmatched for a very long time perhaps ever....absolutely unstoppable.

Watching Ronaldo grow into the player we saw was also very special, his skill, his goals and the way he scored most of his goals was the best I’ve seen in my lifetime, we’ve had some very very good players but he felt genuine world class and best in the world without a doubt during that period.

Daniel Moore

Probably the Rooney overhead kick

I'd been a forward all my life and it was just the perfect goal imho

I'd been at golf and the missus was fast asleep upstairs (that makes us sound like we were born in the 50s but we were late twenties) it went in and I forcefully woke her and made her watch it about 7 times before she could go back to sleep.

That or john Terry's miss gives me tingles

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Giggs' goal in the 99 FA Cup semi.

Arsenal won the double the previous season. In 1999 our two teams were going blow for blow in the Premier League and we'd already drawn the first semi-final. We scored first but Arsenal had equalised and the match was heavily swinging their way. Anelka scored only to be rightfully disallowed for a close offside, Keane got sent off and we were down to 10 men, then Arsenal got a penalty in the last minute only for Schmeichel to save it. Schmeichel also saving Bergkamps shot in extra-time that I thought was going in. Then Vieira gave Giggsy the ball... and he scored one of the great solo goals.

That was the moment of magic which felt like it was going to be our season and it layed down a marker for what happened later in the CL in that no matter how much we were down, we were able to somehow pull it out at the end.

I wasn't doing anything special that night as I was only 15 and it was late late night for me in Australia, but I woke my parents up with my celebrating.

dogwithabone

1999 CL has to be the defining moment for any United fan. Hard to eclipse that given what we ultimately achieved and capping off an injury time come back from a goal down.

As a kid and when the FA Cup really meant something beating Liverpool 2-1 in 1977 seemed a massive victory at the time.

Beating Chelsea in Moscow was unforgettable. I was so convinced Terry would score that I’d switched everything off, lights the lot, and was standing in the lounge doorway holding the remote ready to just hit the button and disappear to bed. A few minutes later the house was lit up like Blackpool, volume on TV right up and wife and my little kids at the time all come down to see what’s happening with me running around the house like an idiot !!!

lewwoo

Champions league final 99 by a mile and nothing comes close. The manner in which we won it with two late goals when everyone thought it was over. Ole one of my favourite Utd players of all time scoring the winner. Watching it in a pub with a liverpool supporting mate who was obviously loving us looking like we were going to lose it. That feeling of those last few minutes will never be replicated.

I drank a serious amount of whisky that night.

Last edited:

simplyared

First started going regularly to OT in 1958 - basically because my dad took me to Stockport County, Maine Road and OT over the Easter weekend and I just preferred the atmosphere at OT.

For the next few years, I ' supported ' United although it was more going to OT that I wanted / enjoyed.

And then....

1960 > 1961 season, Spurs won The Double, the first team to do it for 50+years and were everybodys' darlings, especially the newspapers and the BBC.

Early the next season, 9th September 1961 to be precise, we played them in a midweek night match at OT and the atmosphere was electric - my first night match, 57,000 people, most of them standing on the terraces, and under the floodlights with the smoke from the train station that used to be next to OT for matchdays swirling round the stadium, we beat them 1 - 0. And we did it with CF Alex Dawson in goals after Harry Gregg had gone off with a disclocated shoulder and then come come back on with his arm in a sling, playing CF, and a few minutes before the end of the match, he did a Pele-esque backheel in the penalty area to Albert Quixall who scored the only goal.

The roar at the final whistle was the loudest noise I've ever heard, before or since, and that match sealed my now 57 year love affair with United and OT.
Nice description of the atmosphere then. Remember those night games and the smoke from the steam engines. Used to get the train with my dad from Central Stn straight to the ground. Remember also a certain smell you used to get as you'd approach the stadium. They said it was the linament the players used. Don't remember that specific game but remember Alex Dawson. He was a big fella and the typical old fashioned centre forward: like a bulldozer. Quixall, remember him as well. Remember him being classed as a "schemer" which is an association you wouldn't hear these days."Playmaker" would be the equivalent nowadays I would imagine.
You live abroad too? Same as me!