Best United moment & why...what made it so special

dbryan

It's a "what is you favourite United moment" thread yes, but I want to know what apart from United made it special?

Was it the people you were with, the place you were in or the way you were feeling in your life?

Mine is in the Champions League final 08 v Chelsea...and here's why.

I had been out of work for a few months and on the same day got a new temp job selling travel insurance for the next six months, I was chuffed.

I was in a really great little pub called the Counting House in Leicester. It was full of me and my mates and their GF's and everyone could see how much I loved United and wanted to win that they all became United fans for the night.

I remember I was so nervous that I could only stomach one pint all evening and back then that definitely wasn't like me :)

When we won I was on my mates shoulders being taken around the pub and even the my friends who don't like United were loving it just to see me so happy.

You know the one thing that made it for me though apart from all of the above? It was the three or four years previous. I remember being knocked out by Benfica in 2005 and thinking "has SAF lost it", can we ever get back to being the dominant force again?

When we won in 99 I was 14. I just assumed it would come back round again and it didn't. When I started going to pubs and watching us in 2004 we were still miles off I didn't know if we would win another league (Chelsea and Arsenal were smashing it then) let alone another Champions league.

To win it 2008 was the best I have ever felt as a United fan and it will never be topped for me for all the above reasons.

Anyway sorry to ramble on, just wondered what's yours...........

Canagel

The same for me. 2008 Moscow night was the best feeling I've experienced as a United fan. There isn't really a story behind it. Winning the CL is something that hasn't happened in our history many times and no-one knows when the next one might come. It could be a long time away so that's why it was extra special to win it. I was born a few months before our 99 triumph so I don't have any recollection of that but in 08 it was incredible to watch the final and go through those eemotions with the team.

Deleted member 101472

The same for me. 2008 Moscow night was the best feeling I've experienced as a United fan. There isn't really a story behind it. Winning the CL is something that hasn't happened in our history many times and no-one knows when the next one might come. It could be a long time away so that's why it was extra special to win it. I was born a few months before our 99 triumph so I don't have any recollection of that but in 08 it was incredible to watch the final and go through those eemotions with the team.
Mate you were 9 you could probably barely spell emotion :lol:

diarm

1999 Ole’s goal.

/thread
Yep.

Honorable mentions go to Cantona in the 86th minute of the 96 Cup final and that penalty shootout in 08 but really, nothing comes close to that 3 minutes at the Nou Camp in 99.

Deleted member 101472

Yeah nothing really tops 99. O’Shea’s injury time winner at Anfield was probably the wildest I ever went in a crowd, absolutely bollocks game but man, the celebrations after that goal.

Luke1995

Anyone remember the first game of the 2006-07 season where we completely blew Fulham away ? 4-0 inside the first 20 minutes. At that moment I felt something very special was beggining.

Deleted member 101472

Anyone remember the first game of the 2006-07 season where we completely blew Fulham away ? 4-0 inside the first 20 minutes. At that moment I felt something very special was beggining.
Yep, I was there, it was breathtaking.

Fridge chutney

The historic treble-completing victory against Bayern. Actually Sheringham's goal to tie the score in the 91st minute. Because once he scored I knew we'd win it. I just didn't think it would be within the 90 minutes before extra time.

Sterling Archer

There will be a lot of shouts for moments in the Fergie years. I'm fortunate enough to have only known United as a Sir Alex Ferguson team until his retirement. And so that meant wonderful high after high . His retirement and the couple ensuing seasons coincided with a pretty frustrating time in my personal life. So my moment is seeing an academy lad, Jesse, score a stunning winner in extra time and seal the FA Cup, a trophy we hadn't won in too many years, a tournament I have alwsys adored. It felt like a resurrection of sorts, like we had turned from rock bottom and would go into ascendancy .

el3mel

From what I have seen in my life, definitely Terry slip in Moscow night. Macheda's goal is a close second, but history wise I easily see 1999 final goals top everything else.

ravi2

1999 Ole’s goal.

/thread
This....all day every day.
It was one of the best moments of my life when he scored that goal, bayern were dominant as well plus we were without Keane or scholes.

Deleted member 101472

This....all day every day.
It was one of the best moments of my life when he scored that goal, bayern were dominant as well plus we were without Keane or scholes.
Jancker overhead off the bar, mehmet scholl chip off the post... just our night

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
May 29th 1968. You always remember your first so to speak.

rampo

There were many such moments, in fact, under Fergie, everytime we came back from behind or everytime we scored in extra time to win, was an absolute high. If I have to choose one, it has to be the 2008 Moscow. we were literally hanging by the thread once Chelsea equalized and to win it the way we did, what with Terry slipping and VDS saving the penalty, it was absolute bonkers. I still remember, I was in college, we had to go to an adjacent hostel since our block didn't have a television. There were very few of us, as it was around 2 in the morning in India, but boy did we celebrate like crazy at that moment. Still gives me goosebumps when I think of it

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Mentioned these before but it's nice remembering..

Treble winning final. I would appreciate it more at the age I am now, but still knew it was massive. My mum and dad were still together then and I remember them both celebrating in the living room. My dad's mate came back the day after, after sleeping on the street there. He'd got pissed off in the last 5 minutes of the game and decided he might as well get out his big camcorder. Was great watching that.

Roma at OT. One of my favourite memories I've had with my dad. Atmosphere was electric even before it started because of the trouble at the away game, needing to score goals, and being confident that we could at that time but also knowing it was a big ask. What followed was relief, excitement, then what felt like a party in the stadium, as well as lot of disbelief at what we were witnessing. Then it became almost daft. Even cheered when Roma scored.

Chelsea CL Final. Went to Manchester and were struggling to find somewhere decent to watch the game. We went back to the pub in the train station which actually turned out to be great. There were loads of United fans and a small amount of Chelsea to spice up the atmosphere. Remember us almost being on our knees as the final pen was being taken then everyone running to the middle and going mental. Afterwards there was a street party at Piccadilly Gardens and I fell off the big statue.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Winning trophies is great, but my best moment was probably clinching promotion back to the old First Division at the first time of asking back in 75/76, if you been around at the time and seen how much pleasure Manchester United getting relegated had brought to not only rival fans but also strangely to people who only had a passing interest in football you'd maybe understand why.

donkeyfish

Nothing compares to the games I watched as a kid, they’ll always be the finest memories. 1996 FA cup final, 99 Cl final. Even something like Pallister scoring twice in a victory over Liverpool (in 96/97 maybe) I’ll always remember.

Don’t have the same enthusiasm as an adult.

downunder red

The first and only time seeing united live. Everton at Goodison in 82. Three all draw. My cousin took me deep into Everton's end and I was in awe of atmosphere. I jumped up when Steve Coppel scored the first goal. I was soon told to shut up if I wanted to get out alive. I don't know about today's games but back then there where some real nutters.

Last edited by a moderator:

kundalini

Beating Barcelona 3-0 at Old Trafford when Maradona was in their team, especially the few mins in which we scored the 2nd and 3rd goals. The atmosphere inside the ground was extraordinary, and I think it got to the Barca players for a short while before they recovered their composure and came close to getting an away goal that would have put them through. We had 2 season tickets high up so my dad would take either me or my brother to the match. On this occasion we got one more ticket much closer to the pitch. I watched half the game high up and the 2nd half near the players. I stood on the Stretford End for a few games but they were unexciting cup games against modest opposition.

The closest to that when I used to go was beating Liverpool 3-1 with a bunch of kids, Beardsmore, I think Mark Robins. Again, it seemed as though the crowd and the players inspired one another, while the opposition struggled to cope with the pressure.

In terms of games I watched on tv, rather than being there, the come-back against Juventus from 0-2 after about 10 mins, to winning 3-2 was just incredible. We completely out-played a top side, though they did have chances. We hit the post twice. Cole and Yorke brilliant. Roy Keane inspired, Denis Irwin hit the post.

Macheda's goal and Sheringham and Solskjaer scoring late on to beat Bayern were other moments I saw on tv. I seem to recall my sister came into the room as the match was coming towards an end and I told her United had played rubbish and were about to lose. Then it all changed.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
1999 Ole’s goal.

/thread
This. What made it special is that I never even entertained winning the final the way it was going until the dying minutes. Going from disappointment to incredible in just minutes was fecking amazing. Nothing ever came close.

Oyibo

First time we won the league 1992-93 season.

I was a 1st year student at Leeds. The day before villa had only drawn at Bolton, meaning we wont the league without playing Blackburn the next day.

I was playing "we are the Champions" on the jukebox in a Headingly pub, after watching Lancashire play Yorkshire. (Student life was tough I know...)

My jacket got stolen, with my bedroom key inside it.

My 2 season tickets were inside my room, and I was going to Old Trafford the following Day to meet my Dad, (bank holiday monday).

I slept on a housemates floor, but to get the tickets, had to get inside my bedroom without breaking the door down and losing valuable beer money.

My room was on the top floor and with the weather being warm, I'd luckliy left my window open slightly.

Now all I needed was a ladder ! The guy who ran the corner shop kindly lent me his ladder and secured it at the base.

I got my season tickets, got some cans of cheap lager, and went to Leeds Train Station. When I got on, the train was already full of United fans from the North East and Yorkshire.

Now these were the days before mobile phones (can you imagine), and so it was pretty much guess-work what time I would meet my Dad in the Trafford Pub. I thought, I will go early, and he doesnt need to know what time I got there for the 7.45 kick off.

I got there mid afternoon, and the place was already rocking, being a bank holiday.

And who was already there with 2 pints of Bitter at the "stage end"? My old man !!

Amazing night, and we capped it off by driving back to our home town about 35 miles away...

I wont tell disclose where it was, but put it this way, the Cricket Club bar was empty by the time we got there !!!

This was my favourite United moment, and why it remains special :drool:

Redace

Supports
Belle Vue Aces & Warr Wolves
I've supported the Reds since the 50's and there have been many many ' magic ' moments.
The best ..... winning the 19th title for sure - for obvious reasons !!

wolvored

the treble for me. No other English team had achieved it and when we won the Ch League after being outplayed, (and I thought we had been beat) that final 3 minutes were brilliant. I watched it at home after rowing with the ex over the tv

Bocca9978

Posted this on the newbie version.
Other than the 99 final, this is mine.

Being at Old Trafford 2004 for United v Porto, Champions league.

I was right inline with Scholes' "offside."
And very close to Jose's run down the touchline. Took ages to get over it but very memorable. Also remembering what a twat Jose was for doing it. Strange having him here.

I was also there for the 0-0 vs Arsenal. I was a bit far up for the kicking off stuff at the end but OT went mental. Felt like we should storm the pitch, even from the top tier.

Great stuff.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The Terry slip where he hit the post in the CL final. I know it's petty, but I really didn't want Chelsea to win that one.

RVP scoring against Arsenal after getting so much shite from their fans was nice as well.

I started really liking United after Cantona kicked that fan though. Back then it was really hard to watch the premier league in Holland. We only had 30 minutes of highlights on sunday morning. So it was always this far away mystical league that I hardly got to watch. With that scary tough guy French dude with the upturned collar. Always hoped to see him :)

Siorac

That was my 20th birthday.

Shame a bunch of people died later on that day in the city because of a massive storm that ripped up trees. But I prefer to remember it by the Fulham smashing.

Siorac

The best has to be Moscow 2008.

I was in a pub with a bunch of other United fans, with Chelsea fans watching it upstairs. We obviously got embarassingly drunk; I still remember one of my friends celebrating Ashley Cole's penalty because he thought Van der Sar saved it (rewatch it, he got a hand to it and almost pushed it out) and I had to be the one to tell him it went in.

I could barely watch Terry's penalty, I remember thinking that when he scores (yeah I'm an optimist like that) I'll just go home, put a pillow over my head and not get up for the next 48 hours or so. The relief that washed over me when he hit the post was epic and you could hear the Chelsea fans cursing upstairs.

And then Anelka walked up and pretty much everyone knew he was going to miss it. You could just feel that this was going to be it, he was so nonchalant as if he didn't even give a feck either way. Most of us said something along the lines of "if anyone's going to miss now, it has to be him". And then he did and we became a chaotic heap of humans, shouting and hugging and being generally obnoxious. The place had all sorts of vases around the walls so we ended up passing those around, lifting them as if they were the ol' big ears itself.

My last real, conscious memory of the night is one Chelsea fan coming down the stairs. He saw us, came up to me, shook my hand and said "Congrats, see you next year, same time same place". I still think about how his prediction was just two minutes and an Iniesta wondergoal away from becoming true.

JohnnyKills

1990 fa cup win as was only eight and had just got into football.

Or Sheff Wed in 1993 as I was lucky enough to be there. The emotion in the crowd was unreal.

RK

'99, 08.
But for a moment that wasn't really about trophies, just sheer mad celebrations - Owen 4-3. I'd had a few beers.

Zlatattack

1999 comeback against Juventus. Since that match I've never thought we couldn't win a match where Roy Keane was on the pitch.

SirAF

Ageist
Moscow 2008. It was almost ten years since the last Champions League win and this time I was old enough to really understand the significance of it :drool:

littlepeasoup

Probably the 1996 FA Cup final for me. Was of the age (9) where all I would think about was football, and that's the first big seminal United moment that I really remember in vivid detail.