Biggest Myths in Football

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I’ve just seen two Tweets in a row on X, one claiming that Torres used to torment Vidic every time we played them. It’s complete nonsense. There was one goal where Vidic failed to head the ball and Torres got on the end of it. Other than that he was always in Vida’s pocket, in fact it was Ferdinand who came off worse, especially at Anfield the following season. I see this time and time again and it has to be one of the biggest myths out there.

The other I always see is United fans waxing lyrical about Berbatov. Is it just me who remembers it differently? His first two seasons he was insanely frustrating and constantly getting stick. Yes he won the golden boot but that was a flurry of hattricks in the first half of the season, and he was well out of the team during the crunch stage that year. He didn’t even get in the squad for the CL final. His last season was a non affair. Another huge myth is him being a big success here…he actually falls into the disappointment category for me. Although I guess considering the signings made since Obertan would be considered a success in hindsight.

What are the other footballing myths you see all the time? There must be so many as a result of hazy memories or constructed by clueless kids on social media.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Gerrard being a top top player. He was however, a top top slider.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Berbatov scored 20 league goals that year. 11 in 3 games.

Ludens the Red

If you’ve been booked in a game and make another foul and aren’t sent off you’re automatically deemed as “really lucky” .

Rossa

That Evra struggled badly against Lennon. Lennon played 24 matches against United and has 1 goal and 4 assists. Yes, Lennon was able to go past him from time to time, but that was Lennon - he could go past anyone, but as someone put it so aptly, blocking a cross or a cross from Lennon to a corner creates a much bigger chance than what would possibly have come from that cross, or shot.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I’ve just seen two Tweets in a row on X, one claiming that Torres used to torment Vidic every time we played them. It’s complete nonsense. There was one goal where Vidic failed to head the ball and Torres got on the end of it. Other than that he was always in Vida’s pocket, in fact it was Ferdinand who came off worse, especially at Anfield the following season. I see this time and time again and it has to be one of the biggest myths out there.

The other I always see is United fans waxing lyrical about Berbatov. Is it just me who remembers it differently? His first two seasons he was insanely frustrating and constantly getting stick. Yes he won the golden boot but that was a flurry of hattricks in the first half of the season, and he was well out of the team during the crunch stage that year. He didn’t even get in the squad for the CL final. His last season was a non affair. Another huge myth is him being a big success here…he actually falls into the disappointment category for me. Although I guess considering the signings made since Obertan would be considered a success in hindsight.

What are the other footballing myths you see all the time? There must be so many as a result of hazy memories or constructed by clueless kids on social media.
Totally agree with both. Especially the Berbatov thing. I really wanted him to succeed but anyone telling themselves he was a crucial player or turned out great for us is lying to themselves, talented as he was. I think 11 of his 20 league goals came in 3 games.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Berbatov scored 20 league goals that year. 11 in 3 games.
Berba's goals also won us more points then any other of our players that year, so its absolutely not a myth.

Josh 76

Dennis Law back heel relegated Utd. We would have gone down, even if he missed.

luke511

Paul Scholes' lack of individual awards makes him less of a player and overrated according to scousers. Despite him being the most decorated English player ever.

MegadrivePerson

Everything about Arsenal's 'invincible' season.

Not losing a league game is irrelevant when you lose in every single other competition that you play in!

If Arsenal had won all four trophies that season without losing a single game then that would be one hell of an achievement and they could deservedly claim to be invincible, but you can't claim to be invincible in league games only!

A team could draw all 38 league fixtures and technically claim to be invincible too, would that be the sign of a good season?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Berba's goals also won us more points then any other of our players that year, so its absolutely not a myth.
I still don't have him as unequivocal success. That fee was massive at the time. I think his goal record matched that at Spurs but I felt we were looking for more.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I still don't have him as unequivocal success. That fee was massive at the time. I think his goal record matched that at Spurs but I felt we were looking for more.
Obviously opinions differ and you can think he was a failure, but I don't think its a myth if other people think he was a good - albeit not as good as it was hoped to be - signing.

My personal "myth" is that people think Tevez was as good for as us as he was for City/after us (when he was nowhere near as good and a pretty erratic player for us), but again, thats more my opinion then a myth.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Giggs could've played for England

The bloody fax machine meme in 2015. There was no fax machine!

JeffFromHK

I saw statistics that Torres faced Vidic 14 times (not sure if only Man Utd counts or national team counts as well) and scored THREE goals only

JeffFromHK

Myth: "Man Utd won 13 Premier League titles by outspending everyone else"

Facts to Support the Myth: Man Utd broke EPL transfer records several times in late 90s and early 00s by buying Yorke, Ferdinand, Veron, Rooney etc

FACT: Man Utd's net spent in the first 10 EPL seasons (with united winning 7 of them) was SIXTH behind Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Chelsea and Tottenham

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Gerrard being a top top player. He was however, a top top slider.
A good player but he was utterly overrated. He was hilariously wasteful with the ball at times. Always wanted to score a worldy while the shot would fly out of the stadium.

JeffFromHK

A good player but he was utterly overrated. He was hilariously wasteful with the ball at times. Always wanted to score a worldy while the shot would fly out of the stadium.
Bruno always remind me of Gerrard (without the UCL glory).
Seem to be lifting the teams up with wonder goals and assists but set the ceilings to teams they play in.
Gerrard was also the first generation stat padder with penalties (without penalties had a lower goal-to-game ratio than Scholes who played as holding midfielder for larger part of career)

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The idea of a fax machine in 2015 always struck me as a bit dumb.
I remember it was a rumor that some no-name Twitter account started for laughs and it just spread like wildfire because it made for a good, humorous story

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I remember it was a rumor that some no-name Twitter account started for laughs and it just spread like wildfire because it made for a good, humorous story
That seems to be way shite spreads now. It's funny so its true. Dave signed a new deal what 10 days later? I'm sure they weren't negotiating that at all at that stage, it was all sorted out in those 10 days.

Theonas

Scout
I don't have the perception that Berbatove is rated that highly by our fans. He is not seen as a failur for sure but he never makes any all time best list and I see no one mentioning him in the same breath as our best strikers like Cole, Yorke, RvN or RvP. I'd say he is rated fairly. Very good player and some magical Bergkampesque technique and touch but yet underwhelming overall.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Facts to Support the Myth: Man Utd broke EPL transfer records several times in late 90s and early 00s by buying Yorke, Ferdinand, Veron, Rooney etc

FACT: Man Utd's net spent in the first 10 EPL seasons (with united winning 7 of them) was SIXTH behind Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Chelsea and Tottenham
Shame our moronic spending over the past decade helps those spouting this bs

JB7

We broke the English transfer record 5 times in that first 10 years (although two were in the same summer) but not by signing Yorke or Rooney. Keane, Cole and RVN were the other two alongside Rio and Veron.

But your overall point is absolutely correct. In fact of the 20 seasons SAF managed in the Premier League, we were the biggest spenders in the league on only three occasions - 98/99, 01/02 and 02/03, but won the title 13 times.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Did anyone ever put the cold rainy night in Stoke theory to the test?

Did a higher proportion of teams beat them away in afternoon games? When it was warm? When it was dry?

Might be a silly little thing to look into. The kind of thing I'd do. :lol: No idea about getting weather data but could definitely do afternoon vs evening, perhaps breaking it down by month and seeing if they were better at home in winter.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

Not losing a league game is irrelevant when you lose in every single other competition that you play in!

If Arsenal had won all four trophies that season without losing a single game then that would be one hell of an achievement and they could deservedly claim to be invincible, but you can't claim to be invincible in league games only!

A team could draw all 38 league fixtures and technically claim to be invincible too, would that be the sign of a good season?
So true. The “invincibles” who were beaten several times.

tomaldinho1

The Torres one is the perfect illustration of social media doing its thing.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Was going to say the Giggs could have played for England thing that was already mentioned . Originated because he played for England schoolboys, which he did because he went to school in England and that's what that team is about. It has nothing to do with nationality.

Another couple of United ones:

Denis Law sent United down by scoring the winner for City at Old Trafford in the penultimate match of the 73/74 season. Relegation was confirmed that day but it still would have been even if we won due to results elsewhere.

The Keane/Haaland one.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
European nights at Anfield.
Liverpool 4 Barcelona 0 - 2019
Liverpool 1 Chelsea 0 - 2005
Liverpool 3 Inter Milan 1 - 1965
The list goes on. Ask Mourinho and the rest of them what they think of the big European nights at Anfield. No one has had nights like these in England at home playing in a European fixture ever.
Talk about a wrong example.:lol:

Watch them and come back to us.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

You left out a key part there...unbeaten in the league AND they won the league.