g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Television Billions - new Showtime series

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Anyone else feel like Chuck probably didn't mind losing all of his father's money? And maybe even feels liberated without his blind trust? He seems to loathe the smug old cnut on some level, which I can understand. Rhoades Sr. is my least favorite person on the show.

JoaquinJoaquin

After not really enjoying the first few episodes of season 1, It's now sucked me in. Half way through the second series and really enjoying it. How cool would it be to work at Axe Capital?

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
After not really enjoying the first few episodes of season 1, It's now sucked me in. Half way through the second series and really enjoying it. How cool would it be to work at Axe Capital?
I'm pretty sure Axe Capital and Axel are based on SAC Capital Advisors and their ex-CEO Steve Cohen respectively. Those guys made a shit ton of money for 20+ years until the SEC fined them a feckload of money a few years ago.

Guess what....Steve Cohen is back now and will be launching his new fund in January 2018.

The Firestarter

It is indeed one of the smartest shows out there. Last season's ending was ace. I just hope they don't go downhill from there. Maybe add some new high level political intrigue, like house of cards (but actually believable) ?

ChaddyP

I wish they'd release all episodes at once, Netflix style though. Bingeing is always better!
I usually wait till the series is almost done to start watching. I hate having to wait after cliff hangers

JoaquinJoaquin

It is indeed one of the smartest shows out there. Last season's ending was ace. I just hope they don't go downhill from there. Maybe add some new high level political intrigue, like house of cards (but actually believable) ?
I think this coming season will be Axe getting the better hand of Roades. Roades has pretty much isolated himself from everyone now aswell.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Just got into this.

That scene where
Axe bought the naming rights to the museum where he was telling the gold caddy story
was cool as feck.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I just finished a second season marathon on a Showtime freeview weekend. It's a damn good series though is getting sort of outlandish with some of the events towards the end of season two. Overall, a very enjoyable and entertaining series.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I just finished a second season marathon on a Showtime freeview weekend. It's a damn good series though is getting sort of outlandish with some of the events towards the end of season two. Overall, a very enjoyable and entertaining series.
Yeah it's entertaining but I don't think it's up there with the best. Too many unbelievable plotlines and convenient events. But still a very enjoyable show to watch (if only for Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis).

RedFish

Just watched the season 3 opener, and it doesn't disappoint. I love this show.

Apart from the 'you can watch Bruce Lee movies, doesn't mean you'll be good at Karate' line. :houllier:

It's Kung Fu FFS!

Last edited:

RedFish

Yeah it's entertaining but I don't think it's up there with the best. Too many unbelievable plotlines and convenient events. But still a very enjoyable show to watch (if only for Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis).
I like the supporting cast, strong characters, and strong performances. Plot lines may be a bit exaggerated, in some episodes, but I think with the overall direction of the show, that's not so important.

cyberman

Have they made Chuck a **** simply because of how it looks on paper?

SirAF

Ageist
I like the supporting cast, strong characters, and strong performances. Plot lines may be a bit exaggerated, in some episodes, but I think with the overall direction of the show, that's not so important.
Wags is a fantastic supporting character :lol:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Jumping the shark a little this season.

1st Season Bobby was a bad guy pretending to be good
2nd Season Chuck was a good guy forced to be bad

3rd Season? 3 episodes in and the wheels are coming off for absolutely everybody.

Complaints;
- I don't see how Spyros would ever get a job anywhere, far less a job there.
- Taylor was always interesting as you could see an internal moral struggle. To see them go all in, full shady is a bit disappointing.
- Hall was a believable fixer. He was menacing. His replacements are frickin cartoons.
- We've had two seasons of being told how wonderfully smart Lara is, then she sides up with Birch who we've had two seasons of him as Axe's whipping boy.

On the plus side - Connerty remains perfect. He also has a dating record that any man would envy.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
My only complaints from season 3 so far are:

The two douchebags Axe has got to replace Hall as his fixers. They're shit.

The new AG is a bad character.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My only complaints from season 3 so far are:

The two douchebags Axe has got to replace Hall as his fixers. They're shit.

The new AG is a bad character.
What happened to Hall? Can't seem to recall

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This could be my next show after I've caught up with Peaky Blinders (just at the end of the third series now). Two full series of 12 eps with a third currently airing? We'll get some free time and smash that in with any luck.

Would anyone like to give me a cheeky FFO list? Looks more Mad Men than Breaking Bad from the clips I've seen, is that a reasonable take?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Jumping the shark a little this season.

1st Season Bobby was a bad guy pretending to be good
2nd Season Chuck was a good guy forced to be bad

3rd Season? 3 episodes in and the wheels are coming off for absolutely everybody.

Complaints;
- I don't see how Spyros would ever get a job anywhere, far less a job there.
- Taylor was always interesting as you could see an internal moral struggle. To see them go all in, full shady is a bit disappointing.
- Hall was a believable fixer. He was menacing. His replacements are frickin cartoons.
- We've had two seasons of being told how wonderfully smart Lara is, then she sides up with Birch who we've had two seasons of him as Axe's whipping boy.

On the plus side - Connerty remains perfect. He also has a dating record that any man would envy.
I would never have put it into those terms. I think the whole point of the show is that there is no good or bad. For both main characters the whole thing is a game they have to dominate, Axe keeps score via money and stock prices, Chuck counts the skalps of his perfect record. I think as early as EP 1 you see Chuck say that he only prosecutes certain wins where he gets the credit and on the other hand you see Bobby take care of the children of his deceased partners.

I disagree on Spyros as well, the company wants to run a clean ship or at least pretend that they do, so they hire a former watch dog.

Taylor getting corrupted by power and money is kind of the show's point, same as Axe and Bobby before them(?!). I think it's a bit similar with Bryan, to me he seems more and more disillusioned and often only inches away from listening to his former mentor, giving up on his job and deciding that if he's a pawn for corrupt people anyway he might as well switch sides and make some money.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
This could be my next show after I've caught up with Peaky Blinders (just at the end of the third series now). Two full series of 12 eps with a third currently airing? We'll get some free time and smash that in with any luck.

Would anyone like to give me a cheeky FFO list? Looks more Mad Men than Breaking Bad from the clips I've seen, is that a reasonable take?
No, it goes for big cliffhangers and twists very often, it's much closer to BB than to MM.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I would never have put it into those terms. I think the whole point of the show is that there is no good or bad. For both main characters the whole thing is a game they have to dominate, Axe keeps score via money and stock prices, Chuck counts the skalps of his perfect record. I think as early as EP 1 you see Chuck say that he only prosecutes certain wins where he gets the credit and on the other hand you see Bobby take care of the children of his deceased partners.

I disagree on Spyros as well, the company wants to run a clean ship or at least pretend that they do, so they hire a former watch dog.

Taylor getting corrupted by power and money is kind of the show's point, same as Axe and Bobby before them(?!). I think it's a bit similar with Bryan, to me he seems more and more disillusioned and often only inches away from listening to his former mentor, giving up on his job and deciding that if he's a pawn for corrupt people anyway he might as well switch sides and make some money.
I don't know mate. It's feeling a little Suits-y... Moving away from principles that made it different and sharp, and into the realms of soap opera.

Spyros was a joke character. A whipping boy. A buffoon. He gets an intro where he walks through Axe Cap like a boss? It rings hollow. He's replacing a character who was a genuine straight shooter, holding Bobby to account, demonstrating an ability to challenge her boss. If Spyros gets a storyline then there's an element of sensibility. If he's just there for comic relief it's daft.

Similarly with Taylor. The only option there now is to have a long narrative arc that sees them do the dirty on Bobby to sit at the top of the pile. Having them remain a number two is just not going to work.

It's still a good show. It certainly feels less good though. Hopefully as a full season it hits the heights of the first and second.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't know mate. It's feeling a little Suits-y... Moving away from principles that made it different and sharp, and into the realms of soap opera.

Spyros was a joke character. A whipping boy. A buffoon. He gets an intro where he walks through Axe Cap like a boss? It rings hollow. He's replacing a character who was a genuine straight shooter, holding Bobby to account, demonstrating an ability to challenge her boss. If Spyros gets a storyline then there's an element of sensibility. If he's just there for comic relief it's daft.

Similarly with Taylor. The only option there now is to have a long narrative arc that sees them do the dirty on Bobby to sit at the top of the pile. Having them remain a number two is just not going to work.

It's still a good show. It certainly feels less good though. Hopefully as a full season it hits the heights of the first and second.
It was always a bit soapy with the Bobby, Maggy [I don't even get what's her stance is in all of this at the moment] and Chuck; with Bobby and his wife and all the purely ego driven actions. And while it's a good and entertaining show, it never was GOAT material and had plenty of moments where you had to suspend your disbelief.

I'm not that concerned about Spyros, not everyone can be a dominant player like Chuck and Bobby, there have to be some lesser guys and I think it's good to have someone be the buffoon, the slimy guy who leeches off of the real players.

Not sure what your problem with Taylor is the writers will either explore an inner moral conflict that arises as the character gets sucked deeper into the morast of corruption or they will have Taylor embrace the dark side and become a genuine player which will eventually lead to conflicts with Bobby.

I think the character you should be much more concerned about is Wags. He's supposed to be the company's no 2 but all we see is someone who must be doing coke 24/7 and who goes ballistic at everything and everyone without really offering much or anything in terms of genuine insights or leadership.