Television Billions - new Showtime series

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Just started watching this show last night. It's three episodes in so far.

'U.S. Attorney Chuck Rhoades (Paul Giamatti) goes after hedge fund king, Bobby "Axe" Axelrod (Damian Lewis) in a battle between two powerful New York figures'

So far I'm really liking it. It has a House of Cards feel to it. Being on showtime there's a good bit of what you'd expect.

The opening scene in the pilot episode has Giamatti tied up on the floor with a dominatix standing over him, she stubs a cigarette out on his chest before pissing on him.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
I've watched the first two episodes, its much better than I anticipated and THAT scene in the opener was eyepopping !

Dan

Wasn't sure about this show, but feck it, downloading now.

Sylar

Any shows you guys can compare it with? Its on my list of "wait to see if it goes a season or so before binging in case it gets cancelled" list.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Any shows you guys can compare it with?
Like I said, bit like House of Cards. Power, egos, drama, a bit of rogering.

Giamatti is one of my favourite actors and Damian Lewis is excellent in this as well

Sylar

Like I said, bit like House of Cards. Power, egos, drama, a bit of rogering.

Giamatti is one of my favourite actors and Damian Lewis is excellent in this as well
Haha, ok thanks. Havent seen that yet either so was hoping for other shows, but I guess that makes sense.

SirAF

Ageist
Really looking forward to this! Lewis is one of my favorite actors.

JoaquinJoaquin

Any shows you guys can compare it with? Its on my list of "wait to see if it goes a season or so before binging in case it gets cancelled" list.
I know that feeling, Just watched the first series of Truth Be Told and now it's been canned.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
3 episodes in, best new show on telly imo.

Lara Axelrod is very similar to Claire Underwood in House of Cards. Total ruthless bitch-cnut.

Can't wait for the next episode.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Started watching this, halfway through the pilot. Some of the writing and acting is a tad dodgy, but Giamatti and Lewis in the lead roles look very good already and should make it watchable. Too soon to know but given the subject matter, I feel I'm going to enjoy it.

JoaquinJoaquin

Started watching this, halfway through the pilot. Some of the writing and acting is a tad dodgy, but Giamatti and Lewis in the lead roles look very good already and should make it watchable. Too soon to know but given the subject matter, I feel I'm going to enjoy it.
I got half way through the pilot and found it boring. Will give it another chance this week.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I'm not sure about this one, some of the writing is really bad (all the 'bullish' dialogue between the traders comes across as very hammy and fake) but it has an oddly enjoyable quality, probably cos I like Lewis and Giamatti, and the woman who played Rachel Menken in Mad Men. Though it might turn out boring in the long term.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I'm not sure about this one, some of the writing is really bad (all the 'bullish' dialogue between the traders comes across as very hammy and fake) but it has an oddly enjoyable quality, probably cos I like Lewis and Giamatti, and the woman who played Rachel Menken in Mad Men. Though it might turn out boring in the long term.
Maggie Siff, also in Son's of Anarchy. I like it, the two main characters are layered. Axe's wife is a bit like a knock off of Claire Underwood, resembles her and acts like her. She isn't working for me. I will give it a few more episodes to develop but i'm enjoying it. Good ensemble of actors quite a few familiar faces filling the smaller roles too.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Maggie Siff, also in Son's of Anarchy. I like it, the two main characters are layered. Axe's wife is a bit like a knock off of Claire Underwood, resembles her and acts like her. She isn't working for me. I will give it a few more episodes to develop but i'm enjoying it. Good ensemble of actors quite a few familiar faces filling the smaller roles too.
Same for me, she's a bit of a caricature which is a shame, quite a few characters are very good. I'm enjoying the show tough, very watchable.

Dan

Just watched it.

Obvious body double for Maggie Siff.

Just realised Axe's shady guy was in Oz.

Ivor Ballokov

I think I'm close to being done with this show, the dialogue has settled down somewhat and the analogies dialed back but all that has been left is two men, who I don't care about, posturing about something I care even less about. Which isn't good as the only thing at stake is their egos.

Maggie Siff's character is the only interesting thing in it for me, if she was the focus then the two caricatures bookending her would be less of an issue.

Oh and the whole Metallica thing was brutal.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I think I'm close to being done with this show, the dialogue has settled down somewhat and the analogies dialed back but all that has been left is two men, who I don't care about, posturing about something I care even less about. Which isn't good as the only thing at stake is their egos.

Maggie Siff's character is the only interesting thing in it for me, if she was the focus then the two caricatures bookending her would be less of an issue.

Oh and the whole Metallica thing was brutal.
Don't you enjoy the storyline? I don't think the show is anything special, and I don't care much about the characters either (though I think Axe's wife is the worst), but I'm enjoying the storyline enough to carry on watching.

Ivor Ballokov

Not really, if you look at Axe vs Rhodes as being the main story then I feel it's so ingrained between the two characters that it's hard to not feel the same about one as you feel about the other.

The relationship between Maggie Siff and Paul Giamatti's character is interesting but they haven't had enough neutral screen time, it's been either dramatic or sexual, there was one scene between the two in their kitchen however, which included a weird plug for Thai scotch if I remember correctly, that made me think there was chemistry in that story.

Malin Akerman is bad, I actually enjoyed her in Trophy Wife, a not great but watchable show, but she's clearly pretty limited and this seems a step too far for her dramatic chops. Plus you never go full showgirls.

Dan

It's been renewed for second season but I just can't see how Axe vs Rhoades storyline can last another season.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Watched the first two episodes. Liked it, even though I think the whole this one powerful guy versus this other powerful guy trope is kind of overdone these days.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
It's a great show. Binge watched first series a month ago. Lewis and Giamatti are impressive, cast in general is solid. Very good first series, hope it builds on it.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Liked season 1 a lot. Season 2 ep 1 actually debuts Feb 19th I think, I'll wait until then to make the wait for ep 2 not so long. :p

cyberman

Just saw it, great start.
There's a new character with a lot of potential, im excited for the season

JON.B

Sloop
Really enjoyed the first season so looking forward to season two.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fantastic episode this one.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Damo Lewis was on the Marr show earlier and said Obama told him he liked the show but hedge fund managers weren't that cool in his experience.
Lewis is now starring in a play about a guy shagging a goat.