Billy No Mates Draft: R1 - E/S/P vs harms

What will be the result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enigma_87

You know who
You should see his defence against my attack.

Two great AMs in Baggio and Kopa. Both faster than any of his midfielders and very creative and great goalscorers.

Tbh, Baggio will roam all over the box and I don't believe Lahm will be able to contain him. And he's too fast for Business to handle. Same with Kopa, his initial burst of pace will get him free.

I certainly see lots of one vs one between my AMs and his defensive line. I will score and more than once.
I think the biggest advantage in this game that you can get is to get Kopa drift on the right and combine with Cafu. Thus you will be up against Rensenbrink and Bossis and I think there you will have an advantage. Pirri can attack the space left by Kopa in the middle.

Not sure if that's what the arrow on Kopa in the formation is supposed to be.

Skizzo

For the talk of Eto'o being "out of place" here, let's remind ourselves of his pedigree a little.

He's a big game player, winning three, and scoring in two champions league finals. 30 goals total in the CL.

Back to back trebles in successive seasons, with different clubs!

Scored goals wherever he's played, with over 100 at Barca.

It's not just his pace that sets him apart, but his intelligent runs in behind. Having supply from the likes of Kopa, Baggio, and Van Hanegem will find him through on goal in this game.

Skizzo

Let's dig a little deeper into this too

My midfield is based on the ball-retaining ability and high-intense pressing, something like the latest Barcelona treble-winning side with upgrade on Rakitic and an oldish Iniesta. Busquets is the best DM of the last decade at least. Falcão is absolutely perfect for the system - as much a grafter as he was a creative genius he combines British box-to-box style with his natural brazilian joga bonito. Netzer wasn’t your typical №10, he was a very all-rounded midfielder who ran all over the pitch in order to completely dominate the game. It was his presence that transformed a rather boring German side to a sight to watch in 1972, when he was unlucky not to get Ballon D’Or, finishing just 2 points behind Beckenbauer (this was probably the closest vote in Ballon D’Or history).
First of all, no slight on Netzer, as pat and I have drafted him before, and he's a quality player. That being said, not sure if he's suited to this type of midfield, and how well he'd gel with his midfield partners here.

First off, this high pressing style that harms is trying to pull off. From that very same Joga write up that was linked

Netzer once claimed: “I understand that I must run, but I do so reluctantly, at least, without the ball”.
Doesn't quite sound like a high pressing job all over the pitch for 90 minutes will suit him.

Joga Bonito said:
Mainly because Netzer thrived playing alongside direct midfielders rather than dominant playmaker types. Personally I'd say they'd gel together pretty well, as van Hanegem was more than complete enough to make it a great partnership, but then you'd always have that Overath-Netzer example being thrown into your face (if I'm not wrong they were frequently tried out in a midfield duo, in a 4-2-4 and that was never going to work imo).
Again, not sure if this midfield with Busquets and a Joga Bonito Brazilian will be what Netzer needs to thrive in here. Falcao is probably diverse enough to make it work, although Netzer would thrive on people running from deep, and he wouldn't get that here without seriously compromising the shape of the midfield, and losing that defensive solidarity. Busquets won't be running beyond the midfield, and if Falcao does, it leaves space open for Pirri/Van Hanegem to start making plays.

Those are fair points indeed but trust me on this one. If you build the team around Netzer correctly, he'll elevate the entire team and it is a worthy compromise for the lack of tactical flexibility.
With that in mind, and a team not really built to get the best of Netzer, but using him as a piece in a bigger picture, you lose some of what made him such a fantastic playmaker.

Last edited:

Skizzo

I think the biggest advantage in this game that you can get is to get Kopa drift on the right and combine with Cafu. Thus you will be up against Rensenbrink and Bossis and I think there you will have an advantage. Pirri can attack the space left by Kopa in the middle.

Not sure if that's what the arrow on Kopa in the formation is supposed to be.
Kopa has the ability to drift in and out of that central space. You're right in that having him drift wide opens space for our midfield to run through, plus his passing and movement would work well with a marauding Cafu.

With this beast

It opens that whole midfield and defense up, giving Channels and areas to exploit.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I'm getting the anto treatment here :lol:. Seriously though, if anything it should be German expert Balu who should be tagged and quoted on all things German :p.

Again, not sure if this midfield with Busquets and a Joga Bonito Brazilian will be what Netzer needs to thrive in here. Falcao is probably diverse enough to make it work, although Netzer would thrive on people running from deep, and he wouldn't get that here without seriously compromising the shape of the midfield, and losing that defensive solidarity. Busquets won't be running beyond the midfield, and if Falcao does, it leaves space open for Pirri/Van Hanegem to start making plays.
Tbf, I was initially apprehensive about Busquets and Netzer gelling together. I think Netzer would work best with direct and fluid players alongside him and I thought Davids would have been perfect for harms midfield. A few reasons why I believe that - firstly, there is no point in having an Alonso/Pirlo/Albertini etc there as they aren't bringing anything to the table, on the ball, that Netzer isn't. Netzer was a fairly ubiquitous playmaker as harms stated in his OP and he frequently dropped deep to dictate play and also progress further up field to make an impact in the final third of the pitch - he was more or less always behind or in line with the ball. Secondly, Netzer did thrive playing alongside direct players and his direct game-play meant that he preferred having runners, who exploited his unique passing style, rather than static ball players who would have looked to aid him during possession, which he quite frankly didn't really need or want. It was quite unique seeing him work with Beckenbauer, and I frankly haven't seen that synergy between two playmakers anywhere else, but you could say that Der Kaiser was fairly direct in his own right and was willing to play a secondary role to Netzer. Also it was rather interesting that Netzer seemed to play a more deeper role for Germany 1972 than his usual ubiquitous all-round role that he did for Gladbach, perhaps they wanted to utilize his partnership with Beckenbauer to the fullest.

I don't think the tiki-taka like Busquets would have been a good fit with Netzer at all. However, Busquets has thrived, albeit struggling in the early stages iirc, in the relatively more direct Enrique's set-up where the emphasis is on quick turn-overs to the forward line rather than about control and possession which was the case in Pep's Barca. Also Busquets isn't really a static player but a really intelligent one who is constantly on the move off the ball, probing for space etc and whilst he lacks directness, I can see him being a good foil for Netzer.

World of a difference between both these versions imo

With that in mind, and a team not really built to get the best of Netzer, but using him as a piece in a bigger picture, you lose some of what made him such a fantastic playmaker.
Tbf though, Netzer is his predominant playmaking influence in the team and someone who the midfield is built around and thus I don't quite have an issue with him there.

Last edited:

Skizzo

I'm getting the anto treatment here :lol:. Seriously though, if anything it should be German expert Balu who should be tagged and quoted on all things German :p.
:lol: I thought about that as I kept quoting your quotes of quotes.

"Well Joga said this..."

Every draft should be based on that :p

Tbf though, Netzer is his predominant playmaking influence in the team and someone who the midfield is built around and thus I don't quite have an issue with him there.
I still don't think having an attack built around pele, gives us the best Netzer. Something has to give there.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
"Free-roaming" Baggio is still firstly Lahm's problem, even if you shoehorn him in the Christmas three. And I can see the german winning that battle. If not, Ferdinand and Busquets (surprisingly underrated, I thought better of you guys) are ready to cover. Baggio is most certainly not the easiest route to goal in this game, it's still Pelé with all the service from midfielders and from out wide
I'll not contribute too much yet while the other two amigos are online but I will say that I don't think this is accurate at all. The plan was always to indulge Edgar's fetish for the Christmas Tree formation, and Baggio was always one of our choices for the AM roles. Interestingly, the most famous exponent of the Xmas Tree has said that his regret at passing up on Baggio earlier in his coaching career was one of the factors that led to him adopting the formation in the first place.

Ancelotti:

The players come first and foremost. I spent a long time working with Sacchi and back then there was only one formation for me, 4-4-2, which was easy to explain. But things changed at Juve. I didn’t like having to take Zidane out of his natural position by shunting him to the left or right, so I started looking at the players’ attributes and designing a system that suited them. Before that, at Parma, I had the chance to sign Baggio. When I spoke to him, he said he wanted to play as an attacking midfielder and I told him I couldn’t play him there because it didn’t fit into our system. When I look back I think ‘no way, how on earth did I turn down Baggio, a 20-25 goal-a-season player?’ What I’m getting at is that you change as you gain experience.

“I don’t think [everything’s been done in football]. You only have to look at Spain, which won the World Cup without an out-and-out centre-forward. Dynamism is the be-all and end-all.

“We tried the Christmas tree at the beginning, but we changed to the diamond formation and then 4-4-2. I can’t use the Christmas tree here because of the players’ attributes. You’ve got Cristiano, who likes playing on the left, and Bale on the right. You don’t have the right players for that system. Then you’ve got Isco, for instance, who would fit right in as a central attacking midfielder.

“It’s not about the country. It’s the novelty factor that gives you an edge. With Sacchi’s system, the opponents didn’t know what had hit them. The same thing happened at Milan with the Christmas tree to begin with, because people didn’t know how to defend against the attacking midfielders, but coaches are smart and they eventually come up with a solution.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Two good sides and a very close matchup IMO - as has been said it's a better attack vs a better defence, with the midfields somewhat more even. Rather than highlight the great things about the teams I'm going to highlight a few of the issues/weaknesses as it's probably more productive that way.

I agree with some of the previous comments and for me personally I think Eto'o and Busquets are a touch weak in this draft.

I'm actually nowhere near as keen on harms' midfield as he is - it's clearly a very good midfield but I don't think it's perfect or the best in the draft. I think firstly on pure ability there's a slight quality issue with Busquets in this context, though I'm sure others disagree. Secondly I don't think it's quite there in terms of balance and for me there's a slight overlap in a couple of the roles (minor issue).

I agree with crappy that it possibly would have been better to field Falcao and another central midfielder behind Netzer, but maybe that's reading too much into it. Hope that doesn't sound too critical.

On the other side I just don't rate Eto'o that highly in this context and think given the lack of offensive power E/S/P have elsewhere in the team potentially it's a bit of an issue - neither Baggio or Kopa were huge goalscorers. It goes without saying that should they get through they should look to reinforce in the forward areas ASAP as the rest of the team is really good.

I think Cafu and Brehme in particular is great drafting, as I can't think of two better fits for the narrow system that they've gone for.

Skizzo

Two good sides and a very close matchup IMO - as has been said it's a better attack vs a better defence, with the midfields somewhat more even. Rather than highlight the great things about the teams I'm going to highlight a few of the issues/weaknesses as it's probably more productive that way.

I agree with some of the previous comments and for me personally I think Eto'o and Busquets are a touch weak in this draft.

I'm actually nowhere near as keen on harms' midfield as he is - it's clearly a very good midfield but I don't think it's perfect or the best in the draft. I think firstly on pure ability there's a slight quality issue with Busquets in this context, though I'm sure others disagree. Secondly I don't think it's quite there in terms of balance and for me there's a slight overlap in a couple of the roles (minor issue).

I agree with crappy that it possibly would have been better to field Falcao and another central midfielder behind Netzer, but maybe that's reading too much into it. Hope that doesn't sound too critical.

On the other side I just don't rate Eto'o that highly in this context and think given the lack of offensive power E/S/P have elsewhere in the team potentially it's a bit of an issue - neither Baggio or Kopa were huge goalscorers. It goes without saying that should they get through they should look to reinforce in the forward areas ASAP as the rest of the team is really good.

I think Cafu and Brehme in particular is great drafting, as I can't think of two better fits for the narrow system that they've gone for.
Cheers for the feedback Theon. Agree with most of what you said. Looking over the quality of the teams (and throughout the draft) Busquets and Eto'o may stand out somewhat.

Our main reason for Eto'o was that with his pace and ability, he stretches the pitch vertically, opening that space for Baggio and Kopa to potentially operate in. He's a big game player too, with goals in two champions league finals, etc etc. I agree that he might struggle against a GOAT back line, but we feel fairly confident in his ability to find a goal or two against the set up here.

Especially with Cafu and Brehme opening up some space when they make some runs.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't see Eto'o as a weakness. He 'toyed' many great CB on his time. Most notably, Vidic on CL final. I'd go with

---------------Eto'o
Baggio-------------
Kopa​

Eto'o could start the attack from right side, as proven by his time at Inter. And many of Baggio's goal start from his dribbling around left-side, then cut inside. SO there's no need for Kopa to provide width. ANd for Baggio to drop deep.

Skizzo

While both McGrath and Don Elias are capable of putting up monster games to shit out the opposition (plus Yashin in goal) it would be a travesty to overlook the best midfielder on the pitch, a true GOAT, and another capable of having a performance to grab the game by the scruff of the neck when necessary.

Comfortable dropping into a back three, or dominating the midfield, he would be a key part of stopping an opposition threat here.

Hand picking a defense to shut up shop, Don Elias, McGrath, Rijkaard, with Yashin in goal, and two all round midfielders, who are some of the best of all time from their home countries, in Pirri and Van Hanegem.

If we score first, we can see this game out and exploit the opposition attacking with counter attacks with pace and playmaking from deep.

If we concede first, we have the ability to stretch play with a pair of attacking full backs, three all round fantastic midfielders, and pace and trickery up top. All against a defense that isn't set up to keep a clean sheet.

Last edited:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I don't see Eto'o as a weakness. He 'toyed' many great CB on his time. Most notably, Vidic on CL final. I'd go with

---------------Eto'o
Baggio-------------
Kopa​

Eto'o could start the attack from right side, as proven by his time at Inter. And many of Baggio's goal start from his dribbling around left-side, then cut inside. SO there's no need for Kopa to provide width. ANd for Baggio to drop deep.
I would also have gone for a diamond like this, Baggio as the deeper support stiker peeling to the left and then a pure #9 next to him - with Kopa pulling the strings from offensive midfield.

I just think there were better #9's available other than Eto'o - without looking too much into it someone like Kocsis could have been a tough, physical foil for the technical players in behind and would have been a great target for the crosses of Brehme and Cafu. The former in particular had an excellent delivery.

It's just my opinion on Eto'o however, I'm sure plenty disagree when it comes to both him and Busquets.

Skizzo

---------------Eto'o
Baggio-------------
Kopa​

Yeah he's comfortable probing around the back line. The benefit of the front three is that they aren't "stuck" playing in one role.

With their flexibility and ability, we see this as a general example of how they would work.

That's Shevchenko (Eto'o) scoring from Rui Costa's (Kopa's) through ball. Rivaldo (Baggio) is supporting the attack as Costa (Kopa) drops deeper

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I would also have gone for a diamond like this, Baggio as the deeper support stiker peeling to the left and then a pure #9 next to him - with Kopa pulling the strings from offensive midfield.

I just think there were better #9's available other than Eto'o - without looking too much into it someone like Kocsis could have been a tough, physical foil for the technical players in behind and would have been a great target for the crosses of Brehme and Cafu.

It's just my opinion on Eto'o however, I'm sure plenty disagree with me on him and Busquets.
The No. 9 role was by far the one we debated most actually - Kocsis, Seeler and Charles were seriously considered, but in the end we felt Eto'o's pace was most important for the system. Also, his proven ability in one centre forward systems, his versatility in working the flanks and his workrate.

On the diamond vs the Christmas Tree - I think there's a large overlap between the two systems, and we always aimed to have one of the AMs edging more towards the second striker side of the spectrum (Baggio) with Kopa veering more towards the playmaker side. I pulled a GIF earlier of Ancelotti's Milan with Rui Costa and Rivaldo as the AMs that I thought illustrated quite nicely how I see the Christmas Tree working:

Rui Costa (Kopa) dropping deep to create, Rivaldo (Baggio) clearly in the second striker role to the left, and Shevchenko (Eto'o) running in behind:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah he's comfortable probing around the back line. The benefit of the front three is that they aren't "stuck" playing in one role.

With their flexibility and ability, we see this as a general example of how they would work.

That's Shevchenko (Eto'o) scoring from Rui Costa's (Kopa's) through ball. Rivaldo (Baggio) is supporting the attack as Costa (Kopa) drops deeper
That's exactly what won't happen here because of my fast centre backs

harms

Staff
While both McGrath and Don Elias are capable of putting up monster games to shit out the opposition (plus Yashin in goal) it would be a travesty to overlook the best midfielder on the pitch, a true GOAT, and another capable of having a performance to grab the game by the scruff of the neck when necessary.

Comfortable dropping into a back three, or dominating the midfield, he would be a key part of stopping an opposition threat here.

Hand picking a defense to shut up shop, Don Elias, McGrath, Rijkaard, with Yashin in goal, and two all round midfielders, who are some of the best of all time from their home countries, in Pirri and Van Hanegem.

If we score first, we can see this game out and exploit the opposition attacking with counter attacks with pace and playmaking from deep.

If we concede first, we have the ability to stretch play with a pair of attacking full backs, three all round fantastic midfielders, and pace and trickery up top. All against a defense that isn't set up to keep a clean sheet.
I love Rijkaard myself, but he isn't the best midfielder on the pitch, it's a coin toss between him and Falcão with Netzer and Van Hanegem being close

harms

Staff
Let's not overlook another genius here, Kalle Rummenigge who will be attacking from his preferred inside right position. 2 Ballon D'Ors in a row - he certainly can challenge Baggio for the second best attacker spot.

harms

Staff
Vidic's most important weakness was Eto'O's main strength. Here we have two of the fastest CB ever to play the game - he won't be able to do his usual business here

Skizzo

I love Rijkaard myself, but he isn't the best midfielder on the pitch, it's a coin toss between him and Falcão with Netzer and Van Hanegem being close
In the roles and set ups for both teams, Rijkaard is set up for a monstrous game. Falcao, as good as he was, isn't. Plus Rijkaard frees up both Van Hanegem and Pirri, to influence the game.

That's exactly what won't happen here because of my fast centre backs
Vidic's most important weakness was Eto'O's main strength. Here we have two of the fastest CB ever to play the game - he won't be able to do his usual business here
Just because they're quick, doesn't mean a pacey attacker is suddenly nullified. Unless they're running side by side all game, you aren't taking into account any runs made by Eto'o across the back line, in between defenders, quick breaks in transition. Just because defenders are fast, doesn't mean they won't ever be scored on by a quick striker, especially when our attackers are as intelligent as they are.

Skizzo

What part of Vidic being slow caused this goal to happen? He wasn't burned for pace, etoo's movement created space for himself, the pass into feet set him on goal, then he cut back and scored. Intelligent play to create something for himself around goal.

Apologies for any painful memories this may stir up for anyone :p

Moby

Dick
What part of Vidic being slow caused this goal to happen? He wasn't burned for pace, etoo's movement created space for himself, the pass into feet set him on goal, then he cut back and scored. Intelligent play to create something for himself around goal.

Apologies for any painful memories this may stir up for anyone :p
Voted harms.

VivaJanuzaj

Is it 3 managers against one? Sorry didn't read and check whose comment is whose, just trying to understand if that's what's up

Skizzo

Is it 3 managers against one? Sorry didn't read and check whose comment is whose, just trying to understand if that's what's up
While you're here, how do you have us losing by 2 goals?

On one side you have Lahm following Baggio. That opens space for Brehme to bomb into the channel and cause havoc. Who is Busquets keeping tabs on? Kopa? Then one of Pirri or Van Hanegem will be free to dictate play from deeper. On the other flank, Cafu will be bombing down and overlapping, pulling Bossis wide, opening space for Eto'o to make runs, or for Pirri to run into from deep. There's multiple options we have from full backs, attacking mids, and strikers.

On the flip side, the greatest South American defender of all time, the greater keeper of all time, and (arguably) the greatest dm of all time are shipping multiple goals?

Enigma_87

You know who
Went for E/S/P at the end. Very tough to pick and both teams are excellent but IMO if team E/S/P take the lead, they have the players to shut the game down. But very tough call all in all.

Skizzo

Highlighting certain points again:

Possession midfield:
1. Maybe built with that intention, but except for passing backwards I certainly can't see them having the ball and attacking. It is a uni-dimensional midfield which depends on passing.
2. We have a 5-3 advantage in the middle. There is just not enough space or time for him to pass around, with van Hanegem and Pirri hounding them.
3. And I still have my reservations on whether more direct players like Netzer will thrive in that set up.

High Press without fullbacks?: Where is Alves here? Is Alves contribution to that team just a post note? One of the key components in making that work and totally lacking here.

Add in all these nigglers and negative impact to his midfield will be huge.

Lahm shutting down Baggio = Simple ain't gonna happen. Baggio is not just a leftie but a complete menace in the final 3rd. Both as a individual player and in this System, i rate Baggio's effectiveness as far more than Lahm can handle. And if Lahm is on Baggio then Brehme will be free to break free. He'll link up with Baggio or van Hanegem and I have another means of attacking outlet. Let's not have the "If Brehme attacks, he'll become a defensive liability nonsense" here.

Fast CB's: - Insanely getting overrated. Figueroa is the best CB on the pitch and I disagree that Rio was better than McGrath. I'd put them on the same level.

Sir Alex said: said:
"He was an exceptionally skilful and stylish defender, with marvellous innate athleticism, a man whose abilities stood comparison with any central defender in the game."

"Paul had this really nonchalant way of defending. He could just sally through a game. A ball would come into the box and he'd just back-heel it to safety ... I dithered over whether I should play him or not ... in the end and he was magnificent. Honestly, he just walked through the game
Roy Keane said: said:
"Big Paul McGrath showed all the qualities demanded of us for half an hour in Giants Stadium that day. For him the word big is appropriate. Known for his poise, his ability on the ball, his unique gift for reading the game, Paul displayed these qualities on this day. One other huge asset was his courage. When the Italians did get sight of the goal, Paul presented a final, insurmountable obstacle.

Samuel Eto'o was the best CF of his generation as Rio is the best defender of this generation. Suddenly him becoming a monster CB and shutting down Eto'o is just mythology.

Come on, even in his prime Rio was hardly immune to getting beaten for pace at times - here he is in 2009 looking sluggish over the first few yards against Torres and then getting outmuscled:

He was an excellent CB but Eto'o is absolutely capable of stealing a yard on him like Torres did.[/quote]

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Lahm shutting down Baggio = Simple ain't gonna happen. Baggio is not just a leftie but a complete menace in the final 3rd. Both as a individual player and in this System, i rate Baggio's effectiveness as far more than Lahm can handle. And if Lahm is on Baggio then Brehme will be free to break free. He'll link up with Baggio or van Hanegem and I have another means of attacking outlet. Let's not have the "If Brehme attacks, he'll become a defensive liability nonsense" here.

Fast CB's: - Insanely getting overrated. Figueroa is the best CB on the pitch and I disagree that Rio was better than McGrath. I'd put them on the same level.

Samuel Eto'o was the best CF of his generation as Rio is the best defender of this generation. Suddenly him becoming a monster CB and shutting down Eto'o is just mythology.

Come on, even in his prime Rio was hardly immune to getting beaten for pace at times - here he is in 2009 looking sluggish over the first few yards against Torres and then getting outmuscled:

He was an excellent CB but Eto'o is absolutely capable of stealing a yard on him like Torres did.
[/QUOTE]
It's Vidic' mistake in the first place - and the mistake based on the lack of pace. Here Ferdinand have Vierchowod who won't be outrun in that manner.

I'm really getting tired of a "football math" in our games where some players keeps getting ignored. To be frank I'm tired of the whole match process - it would've been better, imo, with just 2 opening posts and the other people discussing it. This draft is not like the others - we don't need to explain what calibre of a players are on the pitch, most of them are known to a relatively ignorant football fan.

Skizzo

It's Vidic' mistake in the first place - and the mistake based on the lack of pace. Here Ferdinand have Vierchowod who won't be outrun in that manner.
His covering as a defender still wasn't able to make up the difference. You make it sound like Eto'o will never be behind the defense. That just highlights that when Eto'o makes a run, even the pace of a covering defender might not be enough.

I'm really getting tired of a "football math" in our games where some players keeps getting ignored. To be frank I'm tired of the whole match process - it would've been better, imo, with just 2 opening posts and the other people discussing it. This draft is not like the others - we don't need to explain what calibre of a players are on the pitch, most of them are known to a relatively ignorant football fan.
This type of draft is the perfect kind for the discussions. Since teams are of such a high quality, the subtle tactical tweaks, or potential mismatches, are what people can get into.

Considering the majority of votes are from people who have commented, and majority of comments are from people who haven't voted...theres plenty still to talk about.

Skizzo

A couple of questions before I properly assess both teams.
  • What's Pele's role in your team, @harms? I can make up a role for him that suits him perfectly, but I want to see what you're doing with him.
  • How much attacking freedom do van Hanegem and Pirri get, @Edgar Allan Pillow @Skizzo @Pat_Mustard ? What are their exact roles in your midfield?
Did you get your suitable answers to this? If not, I'll try to expand more.

On your question for Pele for harms, I'm still not sure what his exact role is. "Free central role"is rather non-committal, and doesn't really paint how it all might come together or not. Especially against the defense they are up against.

Varun

Staff
Hope this doesn't fall by the wayside. The other games all had some good discussion going, so hopefully this can still drum up some interest :)

@Tuppet @Balu @Red-tiger @Donaldo @themanhimself @Mani @sajeev @Varun

And yes, I'm the guy doing fantasy drafts while the other managers are out for a few brews :lol:
Would have loved to vote mate but I don't know enough about half of the players there at the very least. Won't be fair.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
OK, 1 vote difference as of now. Some final thoughts before I go to bed as this will be over byuth

I'd like to expand more on Elias Figueroa.... here's a simple extract from wiki...

He was elected the best Brazilian central defender in the field during the seasons 1973, 1974, 1975 and 1976 and Player of the Year in 1975 and 1976. As if this were not enough, the semi-legendary figure of Figueroa is surpassing borders at the expense of praise, until he was acclaimed as the best player in America in 1974, 1975 and 1976 and competing with players against giants of world football as Falcão teammate, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Carlos Alberto Torres, Zico, Nelinho, Marinho Chagas, Teófilo Cubillas, Héctor Chumpitaz, Mario Kempes, Roberto Perfumo or Daniel Passarella even Figueroa ended the reign of Pelé in the most brilliant period of South American football.
The delta between Pele and Figueroa was not as big as many automatically imagine. It is Pele ffs! Every other footballer are automatically judged lesser. Sadly the reality says other wise. Not to underestimate Pele, but iif you are comparing peaks Figueroa was fairly comparable to Pele. He was in fact the Pele of defenders. Here he has the support of Rijkaaard who I personally consider as the best foil for Pele. Be it strength or pace or intelligence, Rijkaard can hold his own. Add in Figueroa, I'm a firm believer my team can handle his attack.