Bioshock: Infinite

Lance Uppercut

In BioShock Infinite, developer Irrational Games has built a city floating in the clouds as their manifestation of Columbia; turn-of-the-century Americans envisioned the steampunk-dirigible metropolis as a traveling beacon of America, a symbol of the American way. “This is like the Apollo project of 1900, constructed as an example to the world of the success of American ingenuity and the [...] American democratic system,” explained Ken Levine, the studio’s creative director, during the game’s unveiling yesterday evening at the Plaza Hotel in New York.

But a “terrible, terrible international incident” befalls Columbia, which turns out to be “armed to the teeth.” The city vanishes into the sky, its whereabouts unknown. More than a decade later, in 1912, a man approaches you and asks you to rescue a woman from Columbia. How does he know where to find it? What is it like? What will you encounter there, besides the woman? Will you be able to accomplish your mission? Columbia harbors many secrets, and some will unfold below.

You play as Booker DeWitt, a “disgraced former Pinkerton agent” who’s now known as a fixer: you’re a man who gets things done... for the right price. In your “office” -- a dingy room above a bar on Manhattan’s Lower East Side -- a mysterious man comes to you with a mission: rescue a young woman named Elizabeth. You have experience with this type of undertaking, but there’s a wrinkle this time: the woman is being held on Columbia. You scoff at the man; no one knows where Columbia is! But somehow, he does. He tasks you with extracting the woman, who has been imprisoned in the city for the past 15 years -- since her childhood.

Of course, nothing is ever as simple as it seems in the universe of BioShock. In fact, you don’t have too much trouble finding Elizabeth, or even breaking her out. What you come to discover is that Elizabeth possesses tremendous power -- notice, in the trailer, how she manipulates you and a garden’s worth of roses with her telekinetic abilities -- and that she’s at the heart of a conflict that threatens to destroy Columbia. If you’re going to make it out of there with her alive, the two of you will have to combine your powers -- oh yes, you have powers, too -- but the way in which that plays out is purely up to you.
Destructoid.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
You certainly have your finger on the nob of gaming Lance. Are you Dominik Diamond?

That's a cracking trailer btw. I'm a big fan of the first 2 games. The atmosphere in them both is up there with anything I've played on a console. Smart idea to change the setting. A 3rd one under the sea would've probably been overkill.

Lance Uppercut

Creative Director Kevin Levine has said that BioShock Infinite, revealed earlier today, is not your typical sequel, but more like a re-imagining of the BioShock franchise.

"In the game industry, people have a particular sense of what a sequel is. You know, they're going to follow the story, it will be the same world, a lot of the same weapons," said Levine.

"I guess "re-imagining" is a good way to describe it. Anything that was in the previous game has to earn its way into this game. We're open to explode any ideas, change any ideas, re-imagine any ideas. That's why we've been quiet for so long. That's a question we've had to wrestle with for a long time, and it took us a few years to get to the point where we were ready to talk about it. Now the team is super excited about it.

"Once you make a game like BioShock, the audience expects to be surprised and amazed the same way they were by Rapture. We wanted to make sure we had something that felt familiar in some ways, but also felt different at the same time."

Lance Uppercut

Bioshock infinite's floating columbia will be a more alive world than the deserted rapture, full of characters both friend and foe - although you won't know which they are at first.

"going back to the system shock 2 and bioshock days, we've given ourselves an out, which is 'everybody's dead.' there wasn't much character interaction, and when there is... I think i'm the guy who invented the [gameplay convention of the] player interacting with a guy on the other side of a glass. [laughs] i say that with dubious pride, because that idea is getting really long in the tooth," creative director kevin levine told the ps blog.

"our concept in this game is that there are lots of characters who don't necessarily attack you right away - they may not be interested in getting in a fight, either. The feeling we want is somewhat like the wild west, where you go into a room and everybody has their hand on their gun because it's a scary place.

"part of your challenge in this world is figuring out who is a threat and who isn't. Or, if you're in a combat situation, if there's a way to bring another person to your side somehow. We sort of pioneered this with bioshock with the notion of the big daddy, who didn't attack you right away, and here we've extended this idea throughout the world.

"we realized quickly that this is much more like the way the real world works. In shooters, we're not accustomed to that - we're used to everyone seeing you and shooting you. From a narrative perspective, this gives us a ton of freedom."
c&vg

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
I'd also guess because it'll have similar themes. It already has one in the idea of building a utopia away from the rest of the world. I'd also hazard a guess that splicing will be taking place.

Lance Uppercut

Ten minutes of gameplay footage. This already looks amazing.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Looks awesome even if a tad scripted.

I have my reservations as to how much of that is 'actual gameplay' being that it's not due out till 2012.

Lance Uppercut

I received a PM.

Two minute E3 gameplay demo.

Gameplay starts around 1.30 in the vid.

Peace and love,
Nickosaur from the newbs

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
I remember the time when the first game was out. It needed a 8800gtx to run everything maxed out. I was wondering if I will ever experience these games 'The way it's meant to be played'.

About 1.5 years later Ati came up with their 4xxx series. I bought a HD 4850. It was mental. I was about to cry with joy when the game configured itself on maximum graphics.

I took a week's leave to play Crysis. Oh that moment whenthe player reachs near the lake when sunrise is blooming..!

If I was alone, I'd have had a joywank in the name of all people at Ati.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I'm playing Bioshock 2 at the minute. Pretty much just an add-on of the first game, so I'll be looking forward to the different gameplay that whizzing about on rails will provide.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm playing Bioshock 2 at the minute. Pretty much just an add-on of the first game, so I'll be looking forward to the different gameplay that whizzing about on rails will provide.
Have you ever played Fallout New Vegas? I'm currently considering whether to buy this or Bioshock 1 and 2. Never played any of these three but enjoyed Fallout 3.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Have you ever played Fallout New Vegas? I'm currently considering whether to buy this or Bioshock 1 and 2. Never played any of these three but enjoyed Fallout 3.
Yes. Buy all of them.

I reckon New Vegas will underwhelm you, though, since it's much the same as Fallout 3.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yes. Buy all of them.

I reckon New Vegas will underwhelm you, though, since it's much the same as Fallout 3.
I've not been able to get into New Vegas or Bioshock 2 at all.

Bioshock was an outstanding game and had me hooked but i've not felt the same with number 2. I'll probably pick up number 2 later on (possibly before this comes out) and will enjoy it a lot more. I think it might also be because of the difference in gameplay and how recent i started playing it after the next.

This is one of my favourite radio things.

Revan

Assumptionman
I am going to play the first two games this month and then go into this when it will be launched.

The first game has crazy rating.

RedMist99

Criminal lack of activity in this thread

All PC players, get pre-ordering on Steam as there are products to be unlocked if enough people pre-order it.

For £30 you can get Bioshock Infinite, the original Bioshock and a few bits of extra DLC for Infinite. These have both been unlocked and it's now on 8% of the way to unlocking X-COM.

Buy now!