Bioshock: Infinite

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
In hindsight that Sessler review was so overblown he made it out as if the game was an artistic achievement beyond comprehension that would effectively get video games recognised officially as an artistic form.

Turns out the game is solid standard fare with little to no innovation and lots of repetition.

Sorry I didn't buy Tomb Raider instead.

Ainu

I've just finished it so it's time for a revised opinion. The final hour or so of gameplay, when the story really picks up and things start to happen, is pretty good stuff. There's a lot of fighting of course but with all your vigors coming together in tandem with the tear mechanism it creates some great set pieces with satisfying gameplay. The ending is well written and will keep you hooked. I had a pretty good grasp of it on first viewing but still looked it up to fill in the blanks. A very satisfying conclusion all in all.

The problem is that much of the gameplay that came before is rather dull and repetitive. The problem of vigors making very little sense and having no justification at all in Columbia remains an issue. It's supposed to be an important gameplay mechanic but it's completely random. It's in there because this is Bioshock and Bioshock had plasmids. The enemies are just cannon fodder, nothing like the convincing splicers and the bigger foes aren't anywhere near the Big Daddies. The environments are neat but all of it lacks the depth and consistency that made Rapture so brilliant. Columbia had potential but they didn't do enough with it. Other than Elizabeth and ending sequence, the game is pretty forgettable.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I haven't finished it yet but like many others have said the game is very repetitive so far, haven't played it for a couple of days as a result.
Yeah, I'm struggling a bit with it too now. Just really playing it for the sake of it now, the gameplay is just so boring and bland which is stark contrast to the setting.

I don't get what they were trying with the 2 gun system. That and the shield thing (yet another wildly out of place addition) is almost like they were just trying the Halo 1 formula. However in that, the enemies were smart enough and ammo scarce enough that picking up whatever you found was a must, and they were so balanced that it was a pleasure to use all the weapons. In this, ammo is everywhere and the guns are pretty much all the same boring stuff, that you just tend to stick with the two you can be arsed with most.

I just hope the ending is worth it, though I can see where it's going. Hopefully I'm wrong and there's something worth all the effort.

Revan

Assumptionman
That's kind of depressing Lambo. I am now in doubt if I have to play it this week, or to leave it for a few months later. Bioshock 2 was very repetitive and didn't liked it at all, and saying that this is more dull, well, it's not that good.

Did you changed your mind about it yet? Should I play it right now? I am in spirit to play a new game cause I have spent last few months playing 15-20 years old video games.
Yeah, I'm struggling a bit with it too now. Just really playing it for the sake of it now, the gameplay is just so boring and bland which is stark contrast to the setting.

I don't get what they were trying with the 2 gun system. That and the shield thing (yet another wildly out of place addition) is almost like they were just trying the Halo 1 formula. However in that, the enemies were smart enough and ammo scarce enough that picking up whatever you found was a must, and they were so balanced that it was a pleasure to use all the weapons. In this, ammo is everywhere and the guns are pretty much all the same boring stuff, that you just tend to stick with the two you can be arsed with most.

I just hope the ending is worth it, though I can see where it's going. Hopefully I'm wrong and there's something worth all the effort.
That mean that I should continue the Square marathon?

Redlambs

That mean that I should continue the Square marathon?
Sorry mate, somehow I missed your post!

In all honesty? Bioshock 2 is better than this. It really is drab.

Even the setting, which is pretty and all that, is just so static and devoid of the atmosphere of the first two. You find yourself wandering around early on trying to see everything, then you quickly realise there's no hidden places, nothing new to see after the first few areas and nothing worth hunting for.

Put it this way, you mentioned playing 15 - 20 year old games? Well the gameplay in this is pretty much stone age anyway, strip away the graphics and you might as well be playing the first doom, it really is that simplistic (and it's not worth mentioning the powers, they are completely pointless). It's just not worth paying full price for, you really are going to be disappointed mate. And I say that with a heavy heart.

Edit - And to throw salt into the wounds, it's heavily dumbed down from Bioshock (which obviously was in turn from SS2). Though I don't think it was by choice here, they clearly ran our of time and technical ability to finish what they started so had to strip a lot out that just wasn't working. They may has well done that with the A.I too and had all the enemies as cardboard cutouts :lol:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I'm the odd one out. Thought it was a cracking game. Finished it earlier this evening. Ending was very good indeed.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The final 3rd of the game was very good, great mixing it up with guns, vigors, tears and the rail or hook things.

So for me there was a lot of variety.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sorry mate, somehow I missed your post!

In all honesty? Bioshock 2 is better than this. It really is drab.

Even the setting, which is pretty and all that, is just so static and devoid of the atmosphere of the first two. You find yourself wandering around early on trying to see everything, then you quickly realise there's no hidden places, nothing new to see after the first few areas and nothing worth hunting for.

Put it this way, you mentioned playing 15 - 20 year old games? Well the gameplay in this is pretty much stone age anyway, strip away the graphics and you might as well be playing the first doom, it really is that simplistic (and it's not worth mentioning the powers, they are completely pointless). It's just not worth paying full price for, you really are going to be disappointed mate. And I say that with a heavy heart.
The bold line is really a bad sign. Probably because I played Bioshock 2 just after I played the original one, but I found it a below average game. It was the most repetitive game I have ever played, and although the world was beautiful, it was the same world as that of original Bioshock. The fighting system wasn't that good in the original one either, but that wasn't a big problem. Anyway it was almost as bad as Crysis 2. Saying that Infinite is even worse means that really is not a good game.

I remember that you have said many times that this could be the game of the year, and seeing your comments it seems that it really has fallen short in every direction. Very bad, considering how high hopes we had for it to be a decent heir of Bioshock.

I am thinking to go with the three reminding Final Fantasy games for now, and perhaps to play it in the future.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Maybe you will enjoy it and not agree with mr lambs, revan?

For me it is better than 2 but not as good as 1.

By the way, I wasn't a fan if Crysis 2. It was okish. But what was wrong with the fighting system in it? It seemed quite a slick and polished game with good controls etc...

It just wasn't a great game.

Redlambs

The bold line is really a bad sign. Probably because I played Bioshock 2 just after I played the original one, but I found it a below average game. It was the most repetitive game I have ever played, and although the world was beautiful, it was the same world as that of original Bioshock. The fighting system wasn't that good in the original one either, but that wasn't a big problem. Anyway it was almost as bad as Crysis 2. Saying that Infinite is even worse means that really is not a good game.

I remember that you have said many times that this could be the game of the year, and seeing your comments it seems that it really has fallen short in every direction. Very bad, considering how high hopes we had for it to be a decent heir of Bioshock.

I am thinking to go with the three reminding Final Fantasy games for now, and perhaps to play it in the future.
I added an edit to my post too, this is dumbed down from Bioshock.

Really, knowing how you like games, I wouldn't bother. Even the setting can't save it because the NPC's are terrible and there's just nothing to see after the initial cool factor.

Seriously, Crysis 2 was a better sequel than this, Bioshock 2 is a better game. That's pretty much all you need to know really, a massive overhyped underdeveloped waste of what is a great setting idea and story.

It's a shame, but I guess we have to move on.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maybe you will enjoy it and not agree with mr lambs, revan?

For me it is better than 2 but not as good as 1.

By the way, I wasn't a fan if Crysis 2. It was okish. But what was wrong with the fighting system in it? It seemed quite a slick and polished game with good controls etc...

It just wasn't a great game.
Sorry, wasn't that clear in my post, for the fighting system I was referring to Bioshock games not Crysis 2, where the fighting system was really good.

It could be that I will not agree with him, we can know it after I play it. But till, now, I respect his gaming opinion more than any gaming opinion of caftards, so, I really doubt that I will disagree with him.

Redlambs

The final 3rd of the game was very good, great mixing it up with guns, vigors, tears and the rail or hook things.

So for me there was a lot of variety.
I just can't see it. The guns are terribly boring (not to mention the laughable collision detection), the vigors are all worthless and the rails are so scripted and far and few between that they seem like a waste of an opportunity.

Did you even bother to 'upgrade' your vigors and guns? I'm most of the way through and I just haven't bothered to, I barely use the powers because half the time I forget they are even there.

Oh, and if you do play it Revan, don't bother with hard mode. It seriously is just enemies taking a few (not many) more bullets and they charge in more, it's a joke. You might as well play on normal and try to have fun with the powers, until they get boring after a few uses that is.

Revan

Assumptionman
I added an edit to my post too, this is dumbed down from Bioshock.

Really, knowing how you like games, I wouldn't bother. Even the setting can't save it because the NPC's are terrible and there's just nothing to see after the initial cool factor.

Seriously, Crysis 2 was a better sequel than this, Bioshock 2 is a better game. That's pretty much all you need to know really, a massive overhyped underdeveloped waste of what is a great setting idea and story.

It's a shame, but I guess we have to move on.
Don't really want to comment on it before I play it, but going by your comments and many others in this thread, it really tells us what we need to know about game ratings. It has near perfect scores in every site or at-least 9+. I thought that the site reviewers learnt something after the Mass Effect 3 fiasco when they looked like fools with all those ratings.

Redlambs

Don't really want to comment on it before I play it, but going by your comments and many others in this thread, it really tells us what we need to know about game ratings. It has near perfect scores in every site or at-least 9+. I thought that the site reviewers learnt something after the Mass Effect 3 fiasco when they looked like fools with all those ratings.
This had a ridiculously high advertising budget. That says all you need to know about review scores.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Yep I upgraded the ones I used but also used each weapon and vigor a lot to get trophies.

In fairness I played it on hard and apart from one or two moments, the game was quite easy. But I was OK with that. Some may be annoyed that its not hard enough.

Revan

Assumptionman
Oh, and if you do play it Revan, don't bother with hard mode. It seriously is just enemies taking a few (not many) more bullets and they charge in more, it's a joke. You might as well play on normal and try to have fun with the powers, until they get boring after a few uses that is.
I don't usually play games in hard. Almost everytime I play in medium with the rare occasions like Bioshock 2, that in the middle of the game I decided that I want only to play it for story and turned the difficulty on easy to finish it as fast as I can. It wasn't a hard game at all, but it was becoming more and more tedious having to do the same thing all over again.

Redlambs

I don't usually play games in hard. Almost everytime I play in medium with the rare occasions like Bioshock 2, that in the middle of the game I decided that I want only to play it for story and turned the difficulty on easy to finish it as fast as I can. It wasn't a hard game at all, but it was becoming more and more tedious having to do the same thing all over again.
You will definitely do that with this. It's the same feeling as Bioshock 2, almost to a tee.

But at least that had Rapture, cool enemies and decent powers. Remember the days where npc's and enemies where the same model, with slightly different skins and only a handfull of variants? Apparently they are cool again :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
This had a ridiculously high advertising budget. That says all you need to know about review scores.
It seems that every big game, regardless of how good it is, will have at-least 90+/100 score. I am thinking that probably hey don't even play full games, just first 2-3 hours and then give the mandatory very high scores. Such a shame that you cannot decide to play a game or not, only from the reviews.

The irony becomes even bigger when you realize that this game has a higher rating than the mighty Deus Ex.

Revan

Assumptionman
You will definitely do that with this. It's the same feeling as Bioshock 2, almost to a tee.

But at least that had Rapture, cool enemies and decent powers. Remember the days where npc's and enemies where the same model, with slightly different skins and only a handfull of variants? Apparently they are cool again :lol:
The Rapture was great and exceptional in the original Bioshock, but I wasn't bothering with it in the sequel, cause well, it wasn't anything new. Bioshock 2 was really a copycat of the original game that failed short in every direction. Still, if it was a standalone game and the original game didn't exist, it would have looked a much better game.

For your last point, I think that only 3-4 boss fights in Bioshock were entirely different, while the other enemies and rarely allies were only modifications of each other.

Redlambs

Yep I upgraded the ones I used but also used each weapon and vigor a lot to get trophies.

In fairness I played it on hard and apart from one or two moments, the game was quite easy. But I was OK with that. Some may be annoyed that its not hard enough.
The difficulty issue isn't worth discussing really, there's absolutely no challenge to be found here. I haven't upgraded a thing, and don't really bother with the tears, and it's still not any kind of challenge.

What really irks me is how they attempted to make it more difficult. It really is, and I mean this, back to the old (and I'm talking 8-bit system here) days of game balancing. Or lack thereof in this case.

It's actually a better game on Normal, because you can at least try to create your own fun a bit more, though Revan don't expect any environment to help you apart from an odd exploding barrel (yawn) and occasional zip-lines which work as a moving (and much, much less fun) version of Blink. There's nothing else even close to noteworthy, and certainly nothing destructable.

Redlambs

The Rapture was great and exceptional in the original Bioshock, but I wasn't bothering with it in the sequel, cause well, it wasn't anything new. Bioshock 2 was really a copycat of the original game that failed short in every direction. Still, if it was a standalone game and the original game didn't exist, it would have looked a much better game.

For your last point, I think that only 3-4 boss fights in Bioshock were entirely different, while the other enemies and rarely allies were only modifications of each other.
I'm beginning to think you should play this, if only to have you mind blown at just how much worse it can be :lol:

At least B2 WAS set in Rapture. This tries in every conceivable way to live up to it, and falls flat. Even the intro is a carbon copy, but just so uninspiring.

Oh and watch that gameplay video on the first page (the 10 or so minute one). It'll make you cry when you actually play the game and realise what the video actually was :(

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I'm not being gripped by this tbh. Though I should probably say I'm not a huge fan of FPS, and prefer 3rd Person. Tomb Raider's still the best game I've played this year.

I did think the first Bioshock was great though. This seems to basically be a thematic carbon copy. Therefore diluting the originality factor considerably. (ripping off Ayn Rand was cool for 1 game, 3 is probably pushing it)

Redlambs

I'm not being gripped by this tbh. Though I should probably say I'm not a huge fan of FPS, and prefer 3rd Person. Tomb Raider's still the best game I've played this year.
I've only played a bit on TR so far, but I'll say it's already a far more focused and technically competant effort and I think I'll probably end up agreeing, just so long as there's at least a little challenge in there!

Revan

Assumptionman
Oh and watch that gameplay video on the first page (the 10 or so minute one). It'll make you cry when you actually play the game and realise what the video actually was :(
Watched it long ago. It really looked exceptional.

Redlambs

Watched it long ago. It really looked exceptional.
Well watch it again, and just pretend you played the game and any of that is actually what the game is like. It'll be better for your sanity, trust me.

Otherwise you are in for about 20mins of hope, only to realise just how hollow and shallow this game really is underneath the passable textures and uneven lighting.

Even the wonderful Elizabeth character leaves a sour taste when you realise that they failed to make her a proper sidekick, so resorted to making her invulnerable and seemingly able to turn clipping on and off at will so she's next to you most of the time (i.e feck all pathfinding).

And I'm not even starting to be harsh about how this game works (or doesn't in a lot of aspects) under the polish.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I've only played a bit on TR so far, but I'll say it's already a far more focused and technically competant effort and I think I'll probably end up agreeing, just so long as there's at least a little challenge in there!
Obviously I can't really be fair about it as I've finished one, and played about 3 hours of the other, but you know when a game grabs you and makes you want to play it (I finished TR in a couple of days) and when it doesn't (I got this a week ago, and I've only just started bopping about with Elizabeth)

TR does have a very good run time (I thought I'd finished it at least 3 times before I actually had) but it's not as varied as classic TRs (you can't drive vehicles or do any weird acrobatics) It's an Uncharted game essentially. But since Uncharted is a) a great game, and b) A TR rip off anyway, it's a forgivable vice

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I played this for about 4 hours yesterday, and while I certainly see where some of the criticism comes from, I think it's over the top.

Gaming for me is about the experience I get, the extent that I delve into this alternate reality. Without that, a game doesn't get hold of me and doesn't have me coming back.

For instance I thought the much hyped setting in Dishonored was a bit disappointing, and just played it for the sheer entertainment and gameplay-value - which was still fun, but not something I'll look back on in 5 years.

But this game really do have an atmosphere, that little something that makes me want to believe what I'm playing is real. It's not any one part of the game, not the gameplay which I agree is not particularly innovative (nor do I think it needs to be in every game I play) it's not the graphics, although it does look pretty - it's the story and the way the other parts of the game supports it. It's also the way you slowly unravels this mistery you're suddenly in the middle of as the game starts.

Having said all that, I didn't play either of the first two Bioshock's, so my expectations, although high, weren't related to experiences of those games. For me, this felt fresh, I loved the setting, the story which I'm in the middle of is intriguing, the city is lovely to run around in and the combat does what it's supposed to do in any game that isn't based solely around it - it entertains and provides development in your skills, and acts as an obstacle for your progress.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Good stuff marjen, must say this thread is a little depressing for me who thourougly enjoyed the game.

Loved the look of the game and the atmopshere in it. Story is outstanding and gameplay is fine.

Its a top game, but not as good as part 1.

Redlambs

Good stuff marjen, must say this thread is a little depressing for me who thourougly enjoyed the game.

Loved the look of the game and the atmopshere in it. Story is outstanding and gameplay is fine.

Its a top game, but not as good as part 1.
Why is it depressing?

It should be more depressing to me that people love this game despite the fact it's ancient gameplay made up of ideas done much better elsewhere and it's (under the bonnet) very poorly made despite being years in the making and a huge budget. Oh and the fact we might not see a proper shock game in the future now unless this claws the money back.

But it's not. I'm glad people are enjoying it, doesn't bother me in the slightest when someone praises it from a shear gamer pov.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
I have to say that I'm just not getting it. I'm not the biggest FPS fan, but I like a mindless CoD blast from time to time. Having played the original Bioshock and thinking it was pretty decent I thought I'd give this a go. I thought the skyhooks think was pretty enjoyable, but apart from that it's a standard shooter. I've done about 2 hours and I've not even got to Elizabeth, and I'm not sure that I'm going to bother. It's not grabbed me at all.

Think I'll go back to TR and Civ 5... or maybe I'll boot Baldurs Gate 2 up again.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I guess the gist of it is I'm not really considering this game a FPS - me neither am not the biggest FPS-fanatic out there, although I do liked the frenetic action of the COD-games.

For me this game's combat sequences are more of a fun, entertaining obstacle towards the ultimate goal of finding out what the hell has happened in this city and what my role is, so I guess that perspective does it's bit in not letting "poor" combat or "old" technology or gameplay destroy my experience.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
The difficulty issue isn't worth discussing really, there's absolutely no challenge to be found here. I haven't upgraded a thing, and don't really bother with the tears, and it's still not any kind of challenge.
Have you got to the Siren yet? That's the trickiest part of the game, especially on hard and 99 mode where it can be ruddy frustrating.

I loved the story, and for me that's what I wanted the most out of it. To me the shooting felt no different to how it did in Bioshock 1 and 2, the setting was great, the story was great and I very much enjoyed it.

The tears are not just a "cheat code", they're an integral part of the whole story. Where abouts are you in the game Lambs?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Elizabeth was a great character. I was fearing an annoying escort mission but if anything she escorted me. Finding me shit all the time, reviving me, pointing out lockpicks.

Kaos

I'm actually really enjoying it, perhaps because I set the bar low for this one and didn't expect much. I have to echo certain sentiments here that put overall experience and story over gameplay, I find myself comfortably in that camp too. I agree the gameplay isn't anything to write home about (and it might not help that shooters aren't my cup of tea) but I'm still very much enjoying the original premise, the story and for once an AI companion who isn't a diabolic liability.

Maybe I'm just elated at the fact that we have a single player game without zombies, dubstep, forced multiplayer or microtransactions. I loved the first game and I'm very much enjoying this one too.

Now back to Ni No Kuni.

Revan

Assumptionman
And I finally decided to start it. The first one and a half hour were great, the Columbia seems beautiful (though the first scene in the sea was completely artificial, a carbon copy of the first Bioshock scene). Anyway, now I am just running and shooting, apparently if I hit a priest with a ball, I am a fugitive and must be killed.

Hoping that it will continue being good.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The reason they are after you at the start is due to the number 77 and the print on the back if your hand.

Redlambs

As sad as it is, I'm literally forcing myself to play it just to finish it. It's so dull.

You feckers better be right about the ending being worth it! I can see what's coming, the boat trip at the start gave some of it away, but hopefully I'm wrong and I'll have something positive to say. You never know! ;)