Bissouma at Spurs

MrWilliams

Said last summer that I think he’s a better player than Tchouameni when both were on the market and I stand by that. Bissouma for £25m was an incredible open goal for any team. Early last summer I had dreams of a Bissouma/De Jong partnership.
If Bentancur gets back to the form he had before his injury (Big if) that Spurs midfield suddenly looks top class.
Very much so. Bissouma, Bentacur and Madders is on paper a very balanced MF

The 25m or whatever he went for was always going to be a bargain.
You guys understand ball. Bissouma next to Casemiro would transform our midfield. Our recruiting needs to get better.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
How long before one of the big clubs come calling if he maintains the kind of form he has at the moment?

A midfield of Bentancur, Bissouma, Maddison looks very solid.

izec

How long before one of the big clubs come calling if he maintains the kind of form he has at the moment?

A midfield of Bentancur, Bissouma, Maddison looks very solid.
No big club will buy him for what Spurs would ask for. He is good, but not world class and Levy would demand a very high fee. You are better off buying another promising midfielder for much cheaper

philippexyz

Spurs are going to have a very serious midfield with Bissouma, Bentancur and Maddison. Far technically superior to ours. Actually, when I really think about it, only City would probably have a technically better(in terms of press resistance, ball retention) midfield in the league. They already had more possession than Arsenal in the recent derby at the Emirates, which is impressive.

Maddison is probably the signing of the season(at least in the PL), and Bissouma and Bentancur were also phenomenal signings last year for relatively cheap. Brilliant scouting and team planning, something we so obviously lack and we are where we are...

I'm impressed with Spurs, Postecoglou and what they've done recently. They're securing UCL football(top 5) almost certainly, I would bet on it. No European distractions and no Carabao Cup. City, Liverpool, Arsenal also will be in the top 5, definitely. Which leaves only one more spot for us to potentially battle it out with Newcastle, Brighton, Villa and West Ham. It's gonna be tough with all the problems we have on and off the pitch, we're probably in Europa League(or even Conference League) next season, I think, unfortunately...

Varun1

Plus we would have found a way to make him forget how to play football. No one improves (nevermind stays at the same level) when they come to our club. Apart from Bruno. Possibly.
I can't decide if it's EtH or the culture at the club, players simply do not improve. No point in wishing we had Bissouma, another striker, a better CB etc ... I can't think of a single player that has improved. I bet Bissouma would play like shit under the current model.
I have a lot of time for Bruno because he bailed us out in the past, but even he hasn't improved imo. The glaring weakness is still very much there. Actually, maybe Shaw is the only player that has improved.
All in all, very sad state.

Litch

Like him a lot and hes at the right club. Wouldnt look as good in a utd shirt....

gajender

Spurs are going to have a very serious midfield with Bissouma, Bentancur and Maddison. Far technically superior to ours. Actually, when I really think about it, only City would probably have a technically better(in terms of press resistance, ball retention) midfield in the league. They already had more possession than Arsenal in the recent derby at the Emirates, which is impressive.

Maddison is probably the signing of the season(at least in the PL), and Bissouma and Bentancur were also phenomenal signings last year for relatively cheap. Brilliant scouting and team planning, something we so obviously lack and we are where we are...

I'm impressed with Spurs, Postecoglou and what they've done recently. They're securing UCL football(top 5) almost certainly, I would bet on it. No European distractions and no Carabao Cup. City, Liverpool, Arsenal also will be in the top 5, definitely. Which leaves only one more spot for us to potentially battle it out with Newcastle, Brighton, Villa and West Ham. It's gonna be tough with all the problems we have on and off the pitch, we're probably in Europa League(or even Conference League) next season, I think, unfortunately...
What are you willing to bet ?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I can't decide if it's EtH or the culture at the club, players simply do not improve. No point in wishing we had Bissouma, another striker, a better CB etc ... I can't think of a single player that has improved. I bet Bissouma would play like shit under the current model.
I have a lot of time for Bruno because he bailed us out in the past, but even he hasn't improved imo. The glaring weakness is still very much there. Actually, maybe Shaw is the only player that has improved.
All in all, very sad state.
You can only think of Shaw that improved? Think back to last season. Don’t confuse with the start of this season.

Awb improved
Shaw improved
Rashford improved
Fred improved
We saw things that we didn’t know Casemiro was capable off

that’s just a few off the top of my head

philippexyz

What are you willing to bet ?
I would bet on them securing UCL football for the next season, finishing top 5. Higher chance finishing there than us, at the moment. Based on how they've looked so far. They've impressed me more than Arsenal this season, 3rd best team in the league so far, I would say(behind City and Liverpool).

When Bentancur returns(I don't know when that is), their midfield is going to be even better than it is now. It looks like I severely underestimated them before the beginning of the season and I'm changing my opinion now.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I would bet on them securing UCL football for the next season, finishing top 5. Higher chance finishing there than us, at the moment. Based on how they've looked so far. They've impressed me more than Arsenal this season, 3rd best team in the league so far, I would say(behind City and Liverpool).

When Bentancur returns(I don't know when that is), their midfield is going to be even better than it is now. It looks like I severely underestimated them before the beginning of the season and I'm changing my opinion now.
No European football will be huge for us, will be a huge advantage.

gajender

That's a fair summary but I think you are getting carried away I still think United would finish above them and So would Arsenal but they might sneak in fifth .

philippexyz

No European football will be huge for us, will be a huge advantage.
Yeah, I mentioned that in a post above in this thread, couple of hours ago. You should be optimistic. I like the look of Tottenham this season, positively surprised(and annoyed at the same time, more competition... :) ).

Varun1

You can only think of Shaw that improved? Think back to last season. Don’t confuse with the start of this season.

Awb improved
Shaw improved
Rashford improved
Fred improved
We saw things that we didn’t know Casemiro was capable off

that’s just a few off the top of my head
I don't think Rashford or Fred improved - for a while I've been saying to my mate that Rashford has plateau'ed, well before the shit start to this season. As an Arsenal supporter, he would have gladly taken Rashford last season.
AWB to an extent, so yes I agree with you, but I can't decide if he was just played to his strengths, i.e., defend more rather than attack. I also don't think the fecking about wtih Dalot helped AWB. I think the former is shite, even when some posters thought he was having a good season before the WC.
Did Casemiro really improve as a player or did a great player improve the team?

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't think Rashford or Fred improved - for a while I've been saying to my mate that Rashford has plateau'ed, well before the shit start to this season. As an Arsenal supporter, he would have gladly taken Rashford last season.
AWB to an extent, so yes I agree with you, but I can't decide if he was just played to his strengths, i.e., defend more rather than attack. I also don't think the fecking about wtih Dalot helped AWB. I think the former is shite, even when some posters thought he was having a good season before the WC.
Did Casemiro really improve as a player or did a great player improve the team?
In a season where Rashford scored so many I’d say that was an improvement to channel him.
fred I personally thought made great improvements last season, adding goals and some great assists to his play and generally being a little more consistent than what he was.
AWB for me showed the biggest improvement. Most United fans thought he couldn’t kick a ball. He changed many minds and fair play to him

Varun1

In a season where Rashford scored so many I’d say that was an improvement to channel him.
fred I personally thought made great improvements last season, adding goals and some great assists to his play and generally being a little more consistent than what he was.
AWB for me showed the biggest improvement. Most United fans thought he couldn’t kick a ball. He changed many minds and fair play to him
Curious to know your thoughts ... if Fred did improve, why do you think ETH didn't keep him?
Am not a fan of either Fred or Mct, but Fred is so inconsistent and McT so average, but at least you know what you're getting with McT. I don't think we should have kept him though, and I think we were right to sell Fred.

golden_blunder

Staff
Curious to know your thoughts ... if Fred did improve, why do you think ETH didn't keep him?
Am not a fan of either Fred or Mct, but Fred is so inconsistent and McT so average, but at least you know what you're getting with McT. I don't think we should have kept him though, and I think we were right to sell Fred.
Wasn’t he coming out of contract next year? Perhaps he wanted regular playing time anyway?

zaafi

Probably because he wanted to leave, his contract about to expire and it's not ideal to extend a 30 year old's contract. I've seen posters on here that say he couldn't play in the PL any longer and it absolutely baffles me. Yeah, of course Fred isn't good enough for the mighty Sheffield midfield or Luton Town.

MrWilliams

Maddison is probably the signing of the season(at least in the PL), and Bissouma and Bentancur were also phenomenal signings last year for relatively cheap.
To me, Spurs really should have tried to get him a season or two ago.

A front line of Son, Kane and Kulu in front of Maddison, Bissouma and Bentacur is quite the team on paper.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Classic example of fan sentiment swinging madly out of proportion to the player’s quality. He was nowhere near awful last year when people called him a bust and he’s nowhere near the world class player people are gushing about now after a handful of matches

Righteous Steps

Classic example of fan sentiment swinging madly out of proportion to the player’s quality. He was nowhere near awful last year when people called him a bust and he’s nowhere near the world class player people are gushing about now after a handful of matches
And Rice is near world class? Or nowhere near as well?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Slightly odd post, considering a quick search shows that the general sentiment on him was generally very positive regarding him as a player and potential purchase back in 2021 and his performances were genuinely awful last season (though this was in large part due to a lack of pre season and Conte being Conte).

Jeffthered

Now this is a proper player. He's excellent and my only observation, is that he sometimes dwells a little on the ball because he is good enough to move the ball, make space, receive the ball etc. If the Spurs manager can manage any, any complacency, then they have a player there.

And this is why we need someone, in our club, who will scrutinise ETH in the transfer market. Bissouma at £25m. Antony at £80? You pay £60m for Mount, then you should have been in for Bissouma. Anyone can see he can play.

Super player.

Stadjer

Now this is a proper player. He's excellent and my only observation, is that he sometimes dwells a little on the ball because he is good enough to move the ball, make space, receive the ball etc. If the Spurs manager can manage any, any complacency, then they have a player there.

And this is why we need someone, in our club, who will scrutinise ETH in the transfer market. Bissouma at £25m. Antony at £80? You pay £60m for Mount, then you should have been in for Bissouma. Anyone can see he can play.

Super player.
ETH was hardly in the club when Bissouma signed for Spurs. Bissouma had some issues at the time of signing for Spurs while Manchester United and Greenwood had the same type of 'issues' at that time. Its a bit harsh to blame ETH or Manchester United to not sign Bissouma. At that time i would have liked to sign him too but its totally understandable that the transfer didnt happen.

Also... anyone can see? Conte and his replacement kept him on the bench most of last season.

Jeffthered

ETH was hardly in the club when Bissouma signed for Spurs. Bissouma had some issues at the time of signing for Spurs while Manchester United and Greenwood had the same type of 'issues' at that time. Its a bit harsh to blame ETH or Manchester United to not sign Bissouma. At that time i would have liked to sign him too but its totally understandable that the transfer didnt happen.

Also... anyone can see? Conte and his replacement kept him on the bench most of last season.
Ok, point taken, and well made, appreciate the clarification. We should be looking at these players though, making bids, aggresively if required, competing with the other top clubs, surely. You can't have Fred and SMT, while Bissouma is available.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Slightly odd post, considering a quick search shows that the general sentiment on him was generally very positive regarding him as a player and potential purchase back in 2021 and his performances were genuinely awful last season (though this was in large part due to a lack of pre season and Conte being Conte).
Brillant post, he was mediocre last year cause Conte simply didn’t play to his strengths, Conte basically told him not to do every single aspect of what the player was good at. *don’t keep the ball* *don’t progress with the ball at your feet* *don’t take the ball off the defenders on a half turn* *don’t take any risks passing the ball forward*. Bissuoma Indee Conte was just used for his physical attributes in defence.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fred left due to age and contract situation. He's 30 and had a year left on his deal. It's good practice to sell players in that situation. They almost inevitably start declining. So unless they are world class to start with and absolute key players, sell everyone else in that age/contract situation and refresh the squad with someone 5+ years younger.

tomaldinho1

Precisely this. We have such fair weather fans on here. 6 games in, they’ve been massively lucky in a number of games and have had a relatively easy run so far. He’s a decent player but he’s nowhere near the level some are now proclaiming him to be.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Precisely this. We have such fair weather fans on here. 6 games in, they’ve been massively lucky in a number of games and have had a relatively easy run so far. He’s a decent player but he’s nowhere near the level some are now proclaiming him to be.
Im pretty sure if 80% of your fan base were a Spurs fan over the last 20 years they would be an alcoholic by now or started to watch professional netball.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Brillant post, he was mediocre last year cause Conte simply didn’t play to his strengths, Conte basically told him not to do every single aspect of what the player was good at. *don’t keep the ball* *don’t progress with the ball at your feet* *don’t take the ball off the defenders on a half turn* *don’t take any risks passing the ball forward*. Bissuoma Indee Conte was just used for his physical attributes in defence.
I think it shows the effect a manager/tactics system can have on the perception of a player. Early days but look at Reguilon at United, outcast at Spurs to now playing well at Man Utd. Tierney was a bright spark for Arsenal during the early troubled days of Arteta, but now after a tactical shift there’s no place for him and sent out on loan. Bissouma was very highly rated at Brighton, but his style didn’t mesh with Conte’s rigid approach. Many people wrote him off when part of the reason for the slump was clear.

I had a talented friend who played for Swansea in the reserves until he was about 22. Left for the Welsh league and shone, got a move to the National league (5th tier) and struggled in a physical long ball side as he’s small and weak but technically excellent. Left after one season, whereas I have other acquaintances who aren’t quite as good having successful careers in the championship and league one, because they went to the right sides for them.

The team and approach are such an important factor for a player doing well.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think it shows the effect a manager/tactics system can have on the perception of a player. Early days but look at Reguilon at United, outcast at Spurs to now playing well at Man Utd. Tierney was a bright spark for Arsenal during the early troubled days of Arteta, but now after a tactical shift there’s no place for him and sent out on loan. Bissouma was very highly rated at Brighton, but his style didn’t mesh with Conte’s rigid approach. Many people wrote him off when part of the reason for the slump was clear.

I had a talented friend who played for Swansea in the reserves until he was about 22. Left for the Welsh league and shone, got a move to the National league (5th tier) and struggled in a physical long ball side as he’s small and weak but technically excellent. Left after one season, whereas I have other acquaintances who aren’t quite as good having successful careers in the championship and league one, because they went to the right sides for them.

I appreciate your post, I’ve said Serigo going forward will get u off your seat, the fact it’s Walkford In front of him is a scarey proposition, Sergio is technically very good and I honestly hope he does well. His two problems are 1) his physical weak and 2) his lack of tacnical
Awareness. I think u will see at some point Rashford and Sergio on the half way line as an opposition forward in your half.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Great post, Spurs we’re actually so close to selling both Bale and Kane, cause there time was up, *thet weren’t gonna make it as a pro* even Modric with us was seen as too early for about a season abs a half.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Great post, Spurs we’re actually so close to selling both Bale and Kane, cause there time was up, *thet weren’t gonna make it as a pro* even Modric with us was seen as too early for about a season abs a half.
I completely forgot about Bale but he’s a great example. From disappointing LB who couldn’t buy a win, to world class forward. Kane too. There’s a lot of luck to getting that chance and taking it, or finding the right position in the side. Not a United supporter but it was something Ferguson excelled in, he could see what a player could offer ability/potential wise, and wasn’t afraid to make big calls based on his own judgement, even if the player’s ability wasn’t always apparent to outside observers.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I completely forgot about Bale but he’s a great example. From disappointing LB who couldn’t buy a win, to world class forward. Kane too. There’s a lot of luck to getting that chance and taking it, or finding the right position in the side. Not a United supporter but it was something Ferguson excelled in, he could see what a player could offer ability/potential wise, and wasn’t afraid to make big calls based on his own judgement, even if the player’s ability wasn’t always apparent to outside observers.
Funny thing is about this. Harry Redcnapp have been so influencial, in two of the best players of the last 2 decades, Harry fecking Redcnapp.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Funny thing is about this. Harry Redcnapp have been so influencial, in two of the best players of the last 2 decades, Harry fecking Redcnapp.
Hahah, I actually liked Redknapp quite a bit (feck Jamie though that boring bastard), the team he put together while you were competing with City for fourth was a cracking side with really talented players. He had a good eye, reminded me a bit of a (very) bargain bin Ancelotti. Good with the players and knew how to gel a team together, could shape the team around the talent (and continuously sign Kranjcar).

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Tottenham bought their current starting midfield for peanuts. Madison, Sarr and Bissouma I think were bought for less than Antony.
Well they bought Sarr a few seasons ago and loaned him back to his parent club I think? He is only 21 now so he was probably only 19/20 at the time so yes, would have been peanuts. What did they pay Juventus for Bentancur? He was class until his injury, Spurs second best player behind Kane.