Bizarre statistics

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
In 2001-02 Sporting benefited from 17 penalties in a 34 matches league. Jardel converted 15 of those and missed 2.

That's a Portuguese record. Even in the Premiership, with 38 matches seasons, I can't find any team with more than 13 (Leicester last season) since the early 2000s (as early as I found records).

I actually think statistics are the only objective way to ascertain some bias against or for some teams. I remember some years back, looking at a record of 10 seasons of Porto dominance in the Portuguese league, and though we were by far the team with most goals scored (and hence presumably more attacking) we had far less penalties than Sporting or Benfica - who constantly whined about us being beneffited. I didn't need to do a chi-square to know that difference was statistically significant. Between 1995 and 2004 though we won the league 7 times and were incomparably stronger than Benfica (who won 0), only once we were the team with most penalties awarded, against Benfica's 5 and Sporting's 3.
Golden whistle

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Also not a specific geo location fwiw :p

(I actually googled it cause I thought it was cool and that led me to seeing Arsenal listed along with PV)
Depends which site you look at I guess :). There used to be a place called Woolwich Arsenal and that's what they were originally called, later shortened to Arsenal. There is still a tube station called Woolwich Arsenal on the map. There hasn't ever been a Port Vale as far as I know, would love to know if someone knows of one though.

Edit: train station, not tube

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Dundee United have played and beaten Barcelona 4 times in professional fixtures, giving them a 100% win record.

David Ginola is an anagram of Vagina Dildo.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Former Mexican drug lord and keen football fan Amado Carrillo Fuentes threatened and blackmailed Mexico head coach Ignacio Juáregui in 1974 to allow him to appear in a competetive game against the USA. Settling for a substitute appearance he came on in the 71st minute with Mexico trailing 1-0. A shot from 35 yards found it's way past USA goal keeper Rod Trentstine before two goals in quick succession in the 81st and 86th minute sealed his hat trick and hero status with Mexico fans.

He remains the only player in history to have more international goals to his name than club appearances (0).
What? That can't be real. I've tried to look this up, and I can't find anything like this anywhere.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
When Harry Redknapp was assistant manager at West Ham, he heard a fan abusing striker Lee Chapman during a pre-season friendly against Oxford City. At half time, he asked the fan to get dressed in the kit and play for the team if he thought he could do better. The fan took up his challenge, played through the second half, and even scored a goal.

unimaginative_name

Former Mexican drug lord and keen football fan Amado Carrillo Fuentes threatened and blackmailed Mexico head coach Ignacio Juáregui in 1974 to allow him to appear in a competetive game against the USA. Settling for a substitute appearance he came on in the 71st minute with Mexico trailing 1-0. A shot from 35 yards found it's way past USA goal keeper Rod Trentstine before two goals in quick succession in the 81st and 86th minute sealed his hat trick and hero status with Mexico fans.

He remains the only player in history to have more international goals to his name than club appearances (0).
When Harry Redknapp was assistant manager at West Ham, he heard a fan abusing striker Lee Chapman during a pre-season friendly against Oxford City. At half time, he asked the fan to get dressed in the kit and play for the team if he thought he could do better. The fan took up his challenge, played through the second half, and even scored a goal.
These are made up, right?

zing

Zingle balls
In this thread, a bunch of people not understanding what 'statistics' means..

Still amusing, though.

Depends which site you look at I guess :). There used to be a place called Woolwich Arsenal and that's what they were originally called, later shortened to Arsenal. There is still a tube station called Woolwich Arsenal on the map. There hasn't ever been a Port Vale as far as I know, would love to know if someone knows of one though.

Edit: train station, not tube
There's a Port Vale Street that pre-dates the club.

Needham

Pele has won more World Cups than the Faroe Islands has played in.

Northstand

Liverpool have had the most penalties awarded in the PL era. Truly bizarre.

EyeInTheSky

Did he bribe/threaten the oppo?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
You don't think it had more to do with style of play? Which team played on the counter more/ attacked quicker, or had more dribblers in their team?
To some extent yes, it impacts stuff, but I would expect that to even out through several seasons, on which several different players go through the teams.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Golden whistle
You mean that outrageous defamation campaign conducted by a prossecutor who was married to a former Benfica director and whose main witness was eventually convicted for perjury?

Oaencha

That's incredible! If he scored a hat-trick on his debut, why didn't he play again?

prath92

Jari Litmanen is the only footballer to have played international football in four different decades. He made his Finland debut in 1989 (the 80s), was a regular throughout the 90s and 00s, before making his final appearance in 2010 (the 10s)

Siorac

That's incredible! If he scored a hat-trick on his debut, why didn't he play again?
Because the story is fake. Amado Carrillo Fuentes was indeed a drug lord and Mexico did indeed beat the USA 3-1 in 1974 but it was a friendly, not a competitive game. Also, Carrillo was 18 in 1974, hardly a full-fledged crime lord just yet.

His story is quite chilling though. From wiki:

The pressure to capture Carrillo intensified among U.S. and Mexican authorities, and perhaps for this reason, Carrillo underwent facial plastic surgery and liposuction of his abdomen to change his appearance on July 3, 1997 at Santa Mónica Hospital in Mexico City. However, during the operation, he died of complications apparently caused by a medication or a malfunctioning respirator. Two of Carrillo's bodyguards were in the operating room during the procedure. On November 7, 1997, the two physicians who performed the surgery on Fuentes were found dead, encased in concrete inside steel drums, with their bodies showing signs of torture.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Because the story is fake. Amado Carrillo Fuentes was indeed a drug lord and Mexico did indeed beat the USA 3-1 in 1974 but it was a friendly, not a competitive game. Also, Carrillo was 18 in 1974, hardly a full-fledged crime lord just yet.

His story is quite chilling though. From wiki:
Wooo here comes the fun police.

RedChip

Is this true?

RadoRed

I remember reading about this in a newspaper. The goal was ruled out for offside iirc.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Steven Gerrard, the greatest midfielder ever, never won a premier league medal.

EDIT - and twatted a DJ because he wouldn't play Phil 'Fecking' Collins.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

That's amazing.

RadoRed