Music Black

Heardy

3rd song on Psychodrama by Dave - lyrically one of the most powerful songs I’ve heard in ages. I’ve streamed the album a lot in the last few weeks.

I strongly recommend people give it a listen, it’s incredibly powerful. Would love to get any thoughts from any African American posters. As an early 30-something white guy I can’t relate to it on a personal level through experience but was impressed by the lyricism and the gritty/raw message he tells in the song.

Appreciate I am 6 months behind the curve on this but interesting to see that he caught a bit of heat for the lyrics as being “anti-white” or even “racist.”

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Would love to get any thoughts from any African American posters.
Why African-American? Do you mean black people? :D

I mean the artist is from South London and I think in general there are very few Americans in here.

Interesting tune.

Heardy

Why African-American? Do you mean black people? :D

I mean the artist is from South London and I think in general there are very few Americans in here.

Interesting tune.
I thought I’d written black/African American. I don’t think ive ever been so concerned in writing a post on here worried that even having an opinion on the song might offend someone!

Seriously though - people should listen to it. The words are powerful

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
3rd song on Psychodrama by Dave - lyrically one of the most powerful songs I’ve heard in ages. I’ve streamed the album a lot in the last few weeks.

I strongly recommend people give it a listen, it’s incredibly powerful. Would love to get any thoughts from any African American posters. As an early 30-something white guy I can’t relate to it on a personal level through experience but was impressed by the lyricism and the gritty/raw message he tells in the song.

Appreciate I am 6 months behind the curve on this but interesting to see that he caught a bit of heat for the lyrics as being “anti-white” or even “racist.”

Thought you'd like this.

stepic

it's a great album, and this song along with 'drama' are standouts.

Black is distant
It's representin' countries that never even existed while your grandmother was livin'
Black is my Ghanaian brother readin' into scriptures
Doin' research on his lineage, findin' out that he's Egyptian
Black is people namin' your countries on what they trade most
Coast of Ivory, Gold Coast, and the Grain Coast
But most importantly to show how deep all this pain goes
West Africa, Benin, they called it slave coast

he's brilliant.

white people thinking he's being anti-white/racist. feck me.

marktan

Black is distant
It's representin' countries that never even existed while your grandmother was livin'

he's brilliant.

For many people being pro-black causes is the same as being anti-white. The world is full of selfish people with tribal mindsets

MadMike

For many people being pro-black causes is the same as being anti-white. The world is full of selfish people with tribal mindsets
Always has been, always will be. Humans are tribal animals with a thin veneer of civility that can easily be stripped off. We aspire to be something better than our nature, but it's something that few people (as a percentage of the whole) can achieve.

Heardy

Black is distant

he's brilliant.

I don’t see it as anti-white, but as a white guy I am given an insight to the everyday struggle that I can quite easily turn a blind eye to. His lyrics are powerful!!

stepic

I don’t see it as anti-white, but as a white guy I am given an insight to the everyday struggle that I can quite easily turn a blind eye to. His lyrics are powerful!!
I know, I wasn’t referring to you, but, as you said, the ‘criticism’ he’s received from some white people. It’s mental really.

Heardy

I know, I wasn’t referring to you, but, as you said, the ‘criticism’ he’s received from some white people. It’s mental really.
No worries, didn't think it was necessary aimed at me!

I agree though - him saying that there is pride in being black and highlighting the issues he / his friends & family face is important! It doesn't make him remotely racist for saying what he does!