"Blackface" Discussion

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
"How would they feel if we pulled down a statue of Mohammed, eh?"
Twitter to me just proves that the right wing has the snowiest and the flakiest snowflakes I swear down
:lol: I was gonna say I don't think there are any statues of Mohammed considering he's not supposed to be depicted.

roseguy64

I watched the scene from Airplane where the old white woman translates jive with the two black passengers. Is that Ok or not?

Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer did blackface for their Otis Redding sketches too.
The Airplane scene is fine IMO. Similar to little kids cursing.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Apparently they feel the same about Jesus and Moses, yes.
People have been killed over depicting Muhammed but Jesus is nailed on a cross in every Christian church in the world. Maybe they're not supposed to be depicted either but if that's the case it's not a feeling that's held as strongly as depicting Jesus or Moses. South Park only had to remove one of those 3 from their show.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
People have been killed over depicting Muhammed but Jesus is nailed on a cross in every Christian church in the world. Maybe they're not supposed to be depicted either but if that's the case it's not a feeling that's held as strongly as depicting Jesus or Moses. South Park only had to remove one of those 3 from their show.
To be fair, they probably recognize that Jesus and Moses are revered by other religions so they don't take those depictions so personally, for lack of a better word. The intent is to avoid situations of idolatry, which all three faiths say is bad (even if the Christians ignore it).

fergies coat

I hate that excuse. Racism should be allowed if the person is mocking other races too
If your that sensitive about stuff i suggest you don't watch the tv. The Simpsons stereotype all the time. Like grounds keeper Willy, and poke fun at religion.

Like i said there will be no point in comedy at this rate.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
If your that sensitive about stuff i suggest you don't watch the tv. The Simpsons stereotype all the time. Like grounds keeper Willy, and poke fun at religion.

Like i said there will be no point in comedy at this rate.
I love the film White Chicks but the way things are going would this be banned also?

Ok somethings are downright racist but other stuff is just having a laugh like the barber scenes in Coming to America.

We do need some change but we also need a bit of fun.

fergies coat

I love the film White Chicks but the way things are going would this be banned also?

Ok somethings are downright racist but other stuff is just having a laugh like the barber scenes in Coming to America.

The way things are going white chicks would have to go too. You cant have equality otherwise could you.

MrPooni

Interesting. I do like mosque interiors but I prefer churches with the statues and paintings quite frankly. A mosque is just a nice tile job really.

nowt but a nice tile job

About time. Naturally I watched this crap growing up but once I was grown, I figured out how gross and damaging shit like this can be. You can draw a straight line between this garbage and the casual mistreatment of the disabled under austerity.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

White Chicks was a) a subversion of blackface so should get a pass on that basis, but b) was so painfully unfunny as to deserve a worldwide ban.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
White Chicks was a) a subversion of blackface so should get a pass on that basis, but b) was so painfully unfunny as to deserve a worldwide ban.
Agreed on both points. It was an offensively unfunny film but not because of the whiteface.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale

nowt but a nice tile job

About time. Naturally I watched this crap growing up but once I was grown, I figured out how gross and damaging shit like this can be. You can draw a straight line between this garbage and the casual mistreatment of the disabled under austerity.
Yeah Little Britain was pretty crap to me as I was more a OFAH‘s or a Royle Family fan but even those had racist lines in them.

To me it is just how far we take it and some things we have to laugh over like the Englishman, Irishman and Scottish men jokes from back in the day. Not sure on all the threads here but surely people have vilified scousers as thieves etc and I could be completely wrong as have never come across it here but can remember getting a ticket from a West Ham mate for a game where we chanted “We go Di Canio, you have our car radio” etc etc.

Just saying some is just banter and pushing the boundaries and we have to be careful how far we push it.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
White Chicks does need banning because it's friggin' awful.
That isn’t the issue though. Stupid film no doubt but I was talking in the context of it being banned. Coming to America is funny as feck but has scenes where black actors are made up as white people.

I am just wondering how some are seen as racist but the other isn’t. We just need some balance and I could be ignorant as have never researched blackface and it’s historical meaning.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Sensible reactions from Twitter to Little Britain being removed from iPlayer:
I give it about a year before a progressive liberal turns up at my door demanding I hand over my Fawlty Towers boxset.
This Postmodernist takeover of media to censor an individual's ability to watch something created in the past is not something we should be proud of. This is not progression but suppression.
Watch it while you can, the lunatics have taken over the asylum! Fawlty Towers next and only fools and horses will follow - they’ll find someone once used the word ‘black’ or something.
Hitler would be so proud.
What so we cant laugh anymore?!
The censorship of comedy - a favourite hobby in Hitler’s Germany - continues.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Where is this all going to end though? Are they going to take South Park and Family Guy off the air next? Family Guy in particular is pretty bad in the context of today's sensitive climate.

I'm guessing all the old black and white 'classics' and some of the 70s/80s sitcoms will be consigned to the scrapheap too.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Where is this all going to end though? Are they going to take South Park and Family Guy off the air next? Family Guy in particular is pretty bad in the context of today's sensitive climate.

I'm guessing all the old black and white 'classics' and some of the 70s/80s sitcoms will be consigned to the scrapheap too.
Don't have to go back to 70s/80s. Father Ted did blackface.

SteveJ

Scout
Future history book excerpt:
When the fall of Western civilisation began, few would have predicted that its cause and impetus would be the radical anarchists collectively known as 'PG Tips'.

Foxbatt

To be fair, they probably recognize that Jesus and Moses are revered by other religions so they don't take those depictions so personally, for lack of a better word. The intent is to avoid situations of idolatry, which all three faiths say is bad (even if the Christians ignore it).
Very knowledgeable on this for sure.

It's funny how people talk about Judeo Christianity being close but in reality Islam and Judaism are much closer in their ways. It's surprising how close they are in the religions yet the deep animosity between them.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I am just wondering how some are seen as racist but the other isn’t. We just need some balance and I could be ignorant as have never researched blackface and it’s historical meaning.
Definitely do that. 10 minutes would be enough for you to find about the history of black face and why it’s different to something like White Chicks

SteveJ

Scout
Honestly, I think it's barely worthy of discussion. It's an entirely token, futile gesture from the BBC, 'coincidentally' done on the same day they received criticism for describing racism as 'anti-racism criticism'.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That isn’t the issue though. Stupid film no doubt but I was talking in the context of it being banned. Coming to America is funny as feck but has scenes where black actors are made up as white people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface#The_Black_and_White_Minstrel_Show

MrPooni

Jaysus that's phenomenal. They could make a lot of money with guided LSD tours.
The intersection between ancient religious architecture and psychedelics goes deep. Especially high doses of LSD/low level DMT. Won't expand further because I'm not sure about the Caf's policy on promoting what are still considered illicit substances but it's a super interesting rabbit hole to go down for anyone with a passing interest in religion.

SteveJ

Scout
Compare and f***ing contrast:

"This is wrong, and I'm angry and concerned - they murdered my fellow Black man; am I next?"
"This is wrong, and I'm angry and concerned - they censored a tv show which I can watch anytime on dvd or Youtube; is my beloved Fawlty Towers next?"

Skills

Snitch
I always thought Little Britain was a bit shit. Come fly with me was a good show though

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I always thought Little Britain was a bit shit. Come fly with me was a good show though
I didn’t like Little Britain, and I never saw much of come fly with me. I remember the racist immigration officer though, and when it panned to his shelf it was filled with Jeremy Clarkson books:lol:

ShinjiNinja26

To where?
To massive over censorship of television and comedy. Don’t get me wrong I certainly don’t condone blackface and didn’t find Little Britain that funny so could care less it’s gone but the point is where do you stop? There will always be something some people find offensive that others don’t so do you just start taking down everything?

The best way to tackle racism is to educate people. I don’t think the answer is to just erase everything and pretend it never happened.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think many of these programs are better not shown. Some of the Goodies stuff for instance is truly cringeworthy now even if the intent wasn't racist.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I know the history of blackface and its disgusting obviously, but surely you cant have one race being able dress up, and the other not.
Because nobody is racially vilified or discriminated against or disempowered due to White Chicks.

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I wonder how many Asians got mocked with Ting Tong or "man woman", or how many disabled people had "Yeah I know" said to them, or how many trans women had "I'm a lady" yelled out, or how many poor kids got mocked with "Yeah but no but" by people who thought they were chavvy, or how many mentally disabled people got made fun or compared to the Anne character, etc etc...