"Blackface" Discussion

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
And there were in Bo selecta? It was about celebrities, and had nothing to do with the colour of thier skin.
Bo Selecta was very racist in its depiction of black people. It may not have been intended but it promoted casual racism and a number of the black people parodied suffered abuse and in at least once case their kids were racially bullied because of the program.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It seems funny to me that the bbc are quoted as saying “it was a different time”.

It was 2011. We’re not talking the 1970s here.

2 man midfield

I wonder how many Asians got mocked with Ting Tong or "man woman", or how many disabled people had "Yeah I know" said to them, or how many trans women had "I'm a lady" yelled out, or how many poor kids got mocked with "Yeah but no but" by people who thought they were chavvy, or how many mentally disabled people got made fun or compared to the Anne character, etc etc...
God I’d forgotten about Ting Tong. It’s mental looking back.

lsd

The Oracle
It's the hypocrisy annoys me about this as well. It shouldn't matter who you are if you have done Blackface then you should be treated the same as the next person but that never happens .

Ant and Dec get a pass because they are tv's darlings yet someone else will get taken off air

Also whiteface is up there with saying all lives matter . Its not a thing so quit with the nonsense

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It seems funny to me that the bbc are quoted as saying “it was a different time”.
Well that just makes it sound like they've removed the programme in case it received criticism in the current climate.

2 man midfield

Also whiteface is up there with saying all lives matter . Its not a thing so quit with the nonsense
I think Wibble had the best response to someone asking about whether white face is racist. He said something like ‘yes, it is. But no one white cares’. I thought that was spot on.

Well that just makes it sound like they've removed the programme in case it received criticism in the current climate.
I think that’s exactly what’s happened. But yeah they’re not supposed to make it sound like that.

fergies coat

Bo Selecta was very racist in its depiction of black people. It may not have been intended but it promoted casual racism and a number of the black people parodied suffered abuse and in at least once case their kids were racially bullied because of the program.
It was racist in its deception of black people? I don't think it was at all. This wasn't blackface. It was a comedian mocking celebrity's. Spitting image was the same kind of thing.

What's next ban father Ted because he mocks the catholics, or ban Life of Brian for the same reasons.

SteveJ

Scout
Wikipedia said:
Life of Brian

On its initial release in the UK, the film was banned by several town councils – some of which had no cinemas within their boundaries, or had not even seen the film. It was also banned for eight years in Ireland and for a year in Norway. The film was shunned by the BBC and ITV, who declined to show it for fear of offending Christians in the UK.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It was racist in its deception of black people? I don't think it was at all. This wasn't blackface. It was a comedian mocking celebrity's. Spitting image was the same kind of thing.

What's next ban father Ted because he mocks the catholics, or ban Life of Brian for the same reasons.
Bo Select depicted black people in very exaggerated and stereotypical ways. It was and encouraged casual racism. If the creator didn't agree why did he apologise?

Father Ted had a few dodgy moments (mainly the blackface early on in the fancy dress competition) but from memory wasn't bad with such things and even parodied racism. Life of Brian wasn't racist at all as far as I can remember.

fergies coat

I know remember watching a youtube video years ago, with John Cleese saying something like, if this was 300 years ago they would of got done with blasphemy and killed for it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This wasn't blackface because it wasn't them dressing white dolls up in blackface. However, blackface isn't the only form of mimicry that is casually racist and causes casual racism to persist.

fergies coat

This wasn't blackface because it wasn't them dressing white dolls up in blackface. However, blackface isn't the only form of mimicry that is casually racist and causes casual racism to persist.
How do we move on though if we keep looking back. Or shouldn't anyone dress up as a different race for the foreseeable future just incase. Will enough time go by where you would be able to do this again? Its a very tricky subject at the minute.

SteveJ

Scout
When a Black man or woman plays Prince Hamlet, it's not deemed necessary that they resemble a white Danish nobleman. Nor does this spoil the illusion of the play being 'real'. So, it follows that looking exactly like someone you're impersonating isn't necessary at all.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
How do we move on though if we keep looking back. Or shouldn't anyone dress up as a different race for the foreseeable future just incase. Will enough time go by where you would be able to do this again? Its a very tricky subject at the minute.
I've never found it tricky at all though. If you are invited to a fancy dress party or invited to produce a comedy sketch or similar, then any actions that belittle or make fun of any group, particularity when solely on the basis of physical appearance, that have suffered or are victimised or discriminated against should be avoided.

marktan

I wonder how many Asians got mocked with Ting Tong or "man woman", or how many disabled people had "Yeah I know" said to them, or how many trans women had "I'm a lady" yelled out, or how many poor kids got mocked with "Yeah but no but" by people who thought they were chavvy, or how many mentally disabled people got made fun or compared to the Anne character, etc etc...
Reminds me a little of the documentary of the depiction of Apu in America and about Indians / South Asians getting mocked with his mannerisms. The white show runners simply couldn't understand that it did (unintentionally) cause a lot of harm towards those communities.

Tbf I'm fine with comedic depictions of most things, my humour palette is pretty wide even as a minority on the but-end of jokes, but unfortunately media portrayals do have a large role in perpetuating harmful stereotypes. People are rightly asking where the line is drawn, and it's not an easy one to answer. I haven't watched little Britain and only one episode of come flu with me recently (found it boring), but I tend to largely see comedic shows as mocking the stereotypes, not perpetuating them. But for a lot of people those stereotypes do just become re-en forcing.

fergies coat

I've never found it tricky at all though. If you are invited to a fancy dress party or invited to produce a comedy sketch or similar, then any actions that belittle or make fun of any group, particularity when solely on the basis of physical appearance, that have suffered or are victimised or discriminated against should be avoided.
I mean racism is a tricky subject in general. What seems acceptable in one era, isn't in the next.

fergies coat

I don't if its been mentioned here, but i only found out a couple of weeks ago, that the main character in short circuit, that was asian, was played by a white man. It blew my mind.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I mean racism is a tricky subject in general. What seems acceptable in one era, isn't in the next.
Things change. No harm us reducing access to things from the past in a general sense. Little Britain for example was horrible at the time and far worse in retrospect. It doesn't mean you have to necessarily vilify people who made this stuff, particularly the longer back you look, but I don't think we need reruns of The Black and White Minstrel Show for example to shine a light on how racist it was.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't if its been mentioned here, but i only found out a couple of weeks ago, that the main character in short circuit, that was asian, was played by a white man. It blew my mind.
That was cringe-worthy at the time. In retrospect probably unwatchable.

Tarrou

Little Britain was shite, I thought it felt dated when it came out

now if they starting looking at The Thick Of It or Partridge then we have a serious problem on our hands....

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax

nowt but a nice tile job

About time. Naturally I watched this crap growing up but once I was grown, I figured out how gross and damaging shit like this can be. You can draw a straight line between this garbage and the casual mistreatment of the disabled under austerity.
I remember one episode of Little Britain and it was to do with the one who's always sick and she basically ate a cupcake not realising it was baked by a black man she then proceeds to be sick once she does realise and I remember thinking holu shit how did the BBC think that was okay.

hobbers

I remember one episode of Little Britain and it was to do with the one who's always sick and she basically ate a cupcake not realising it was baked by a black man she then proceeds to be sick once she does realise and I remember thinking holu shit how did the BBC think that was okay.
That's gotta be way down there with the least problematic by today's standards, since it was parodying racism.

No one working in tv would have the spine in this day and age to commission a show with characters like Andy and Lou, Fatfighters lady, or probably even Computer Says No, for fear of offending someone or other.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It’s tough with TV programmes and films, I would prefer not to cancel shows unless a very racist and malicious intent is behind say an example of blackface etc and just be more mindful with future productions.

On the other hand statues of slave traders for me glorifies slavery and is in the face of people whether they want to avoid it or not and therefore I advocate them coming down.

Ludens the Red

Little Britain and Come Fly With Me were definitely more questionable than Bo Selecta. I watched Come Fly With Me for the first time a month ago and was even thinking “how the heck were they able to do this only ten years ago”.
I think the Trisha character in Bo Selecta was probably the one really questionable character and not at all surprising she spoke out about it. Elton John too.
The Craig David, Michael Jackson and Mel Bo characters, I don’t think really played on any racial stereotypes, it was just completely random eccentric behaviour. I think ultimately with shows like these if they’re watched by people with underlying racism/sexism/homophobia they can reaffirm and encourage those beliefs.

MrPooni

fecking hell. I can't believe entire families watched this shit. There used to be merchandise of it everywhere and people still have the audacity to act like it was okay because they want to delay the inevitable realisation that they were on the wrong side of these fights the whole time.

MrPooni

Little Britain and Come Fly With Me were definitely more questionable than Bo Selecta. I watched Come Fly With Me for the first time a month ago and was even thinking “how the heck were they able to do this only ten years ago”.
I think the Trisha character in Bo Selecta was probably the one really questionable character and not at all surprising she spoke out about it. Elton John too.
The Craig David, Michael Jackson and Mel Bo characters, I don’t think really played on any racial stereotypes, it was just completely random eccentric behaviour. I think ultimately with shows like these if they’re watched by people with underlying racism/sexism/homophobia they can reaffirm and encourage those beliefs.
The Craig David character stripped the artist of his credibility and forced him to flee the country. Mel B has spoken about feeling attacked by her character too. These shows don't exist in a vacuum.

Even the guy who created them agrees they were unnecessary so why can't you? In an age of endless content, why do we have to preserve this shit? You can stick it in a museum display about 21st century racism if you want but it doesn't need to be on Netflix.

MrPooni

That's gotta be way down there with the least problematic by today's standards, since it was parodying racism.

No one working in tv would have the spine in this day and age to commission a show with characters like Andy and Lou, Fatfighters lady, or probably even Computer Says No, for fear of offending someone or other.
What a hill to die on. I salute you sir!

Ludens the Red

The Craig David character stripped the artist of his credibility and forced him to flee the country. Mel B has spoken about feeling attacked by her character too. These shows don't exist in a vacuum.

Even the guy who created them agrees they were unnecessary so why can't you? In an age of endless content, why do we have to preserve this shit? You can stick it in a museum display about 21st century racism if you want but it doesn't need to be on Netflix.
What a strange tone you’ve taken in response to my post. Looking for outrage where there doesn’t need to be any.

I’m aware of Craig David and how he felt about it. Though he went on to state he doesn’t feel it affected his career and he even made up with Francis. My point was it wasn’t racially based mocking where as Trisha was. Craig David even made a guest appearance in a Bo Selecta episode.
Your comments about Mel B are an actual lie and I question why you feel the need to make up such a lie. There’s videos of her literally saying she liked the character. Only last December she did a joint sketch with the character.

Where did I say the characters should be preserved? Where did I say Leigh Francis shouldn’t have apologised? And the mocking forced him to flee the country? Seriously ?

Last edited:

Wolverine

I'm still not seeing how getting rid of Little Britain is a slippery slope, which I think the BBC pretty much did on their own. A couple of people responded to Walliams with a picture of his blackface character that got retweets but there was hardly a sustained campaign to get it off the air

And even if there was, despite many people now being a bit more Hannah Gadsby than Roy Chubby Brown in their comedy taste, we do not live in society where the left dominates culturally over others and right wing is silenced

The biggest papers in terms of sales lean right. Radio shows prominently feature right wing personalities and talking points and are easily able to weather any repercussions. Think Nigel Farage on LBC, Hartley-Brewer and Mike Graham on talkradio. We also see regularly right wing columnists like Brendan O'Neill or Tom Harwood get slots on Sky, BBC to give us their opinions

We're also forgetting that we elected PM somebody who is not exactly the most PC when it comes to race issues.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
In fairness, Little Britain was a bit shit and not really something you can salvage. Low-base humour that mocked a lot of people in society for no good reason.

A better example is Gone with the Wind - removed from HBO streaming - and they've agreed to put it back up with an explanation before the film about the historical context in which is was set. Seems like the most sensible decision.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm still not seeing how getting rid of Little Britain is a slippery slope, which I think the BBC pretty much did on their own. A couple of people responded to Walliams with a picture of his blackface character that got retweets but there was hardly a sustained campaign to get it off the air

And even if there was, despite many people now being a bit more Hannah Gadsby than Roy Chubby Brown in their comedy taste, we do not live in society where the left dominates culturally over others and right wing is silenced

The biggest papers in terms of sales lean right. Radio shows prominently feature right wing personalities and talking points and are easily able to weather any repercussions. Think Nigel Farage on LBC, Hartley-Brewer and Mike Graham on talkradio. We also see regularly right wing columnists like Brendan O'Neill or Tom Harwood get slots on Sky, BBC to give us their opinions

We're also forgetting that we elected PM somebody who is not exactly the most PC when it comes to race issues.
I absolutely hated Little Britain when it first came on and I really thought it was in very poor taste and was clearly racist and also laughing at poor and disabled people also. It was a fecking disgrace that it was made in the first place and I have despised in particular Walliams ever since. I'm glad it's gone.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I absolutely hated Little Britain when it first came on and I really thought it was in very poor taste and was clearly racist and also laughing at poor and disabled people also. It was a fecking disgrace that it was made in the first place and I have despised in particular Walliams ever since. I'm glad it's gone.

I've seen bits of it and didn't like it.

Is that the big joke? That Britain is really like that?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
In fairness, Little Britain was a bit shit and not really something you can salvage. Low-base humour that mocked a lot of people in society for no good reason.

A better example is Gone with the Wind - removed from HBO streaming - and they've agreed to put it back up with an explanation before the film about the historical context in which is was set. Seems like the most sensible decision.
That's just a cop out. Everything has a historical context. They just know that binning Gone With The Wind will also consign a good portion of their back catalogue to the archives. You can say goodbye to all the spaghetti westerns. If you're going to go down this road you're going to have to be consistent. It may be painful but it is what it is.