"Blackface" Discussion

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Jesus is seen as an important prophet in the Muslim faith (Mary is also important) and there have been depictions of them by Muslim artists, such as this ancient one:

I know that Muslims recognise Jesus, just wondering if they are ok with images of him seeing as they see him as a prophet too.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This is stressed a lot on here but in discussions like these people really must learn to read entire conversations before chipping in with their input. The poster I replied to told blatant lies about how those on the receiving end felt about it, presumably to make a point. Because apparently now; telling blatant lies just to back up a good cause is ok. I simply corrected them. If you look at my original post you would see I said these programmes can encourage bigoted views. But at the same time there was nothing ‘racially motivated’ by the Craig David and Mel B characters.
There may have nothing racially motivated but when you step out in public and some people start mocking you as that caricature including the deep racial overtones, you have ask questions about the comedy’s impact.
David himself has talked about the embarrassment he felt

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
There may have nothing racially motivated but when you step out in public and some people start mocking you as that caricature including the deep racial overtones, you have ask questions about the comedy’s impact.
David himself has talked about the embarrassment he felt
I never got lemons or whatever his name is impression of Craig david. The sooner Keith Lemon buggers off in to obscurity the better and hoping Walliams goes with him the unfunny prats.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I never got lemons or whatever his name is impression of Craig david. The sooner Keith Lemon buggers off in to obscurity the better and hoping Walliams goes with him the unfunny prats.

I have seen Keith Lemon once on TV and I hate him as much as Corden and Mrs. Brown's Boys.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I have seen Keith Lemon once on TV and I hate him as much as Corden and Mrs. Brown's Boys.
Totally agree but do you think there's a point where especially with comedy do we run the risk of watering it down to much?. Hope nobody thinks I'm condoning the offensive shite that's out there. I'm just thinking is there a line where everybody is comfortable.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I suppose that's more a question of taste and separate issue. I never found Little Britain that funny though it did have some moments. Walliams and the other one irritated the hell out of me though Walliams seems to have found a niche in children's writing. Lemon is just a waste of oxygen

Foxbatt

I know that Muslims recognise Jesus, just wondering if they are ok with images of him seeing as they see him as a prophet too.
From my understanding Muslims don't accept any images of Jesus or for that matter any prophets being shown in movies for sure.
I can't remember the exact date but there was a riot about it and the movie was pulled off.
Not sure about Shia movies though. The Sunnis certainly don't accept it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Totally agree but do you think there's a point where especially with comedy do we run the risk of watering it down to much?. Hope nobody thinks I'm condoning the offensive shite that's out there. I'm just thinking is there a line where everybody is comfortable.
At some point you just have to say just don't watch it if you don't like it. The list of things that offends people is infinite and diverse, you can't really legislate for taste. No-one is forcing anyone to watch anything, so just don't watch it. That's how these arguments usually go. I'm not talking about clearly offensive stuff like blackface etc. But I saw some saying Gavin and Stacey should be next because they have a character called Chinese Alan.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People, things like Family Guy are still on TV.... Nobody's taking away your edgy comedy. There are something's that don't fly anymore and people are asking for companies/orgs to address them, and companies seem to be doing so. That's all...

Worrying about the impending doom of edge case comedy is an overreaction, is anyone even calling for it?

lsd

The Oracle
The only things being removed are shows which have done blackface or been racially insensitive. This can't be a bad thing

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Funny old world that we go truly mental at Blackface, while being absolutely super cool with a ghostly white Middle Eastern Jesus.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Funny old world that we go truly mental at Blackface, while being absolutely super cool with a ghostly white Middle Eastern Jesus.
Jesus wasn't middle eastern, he was the son of God who happened to be born in the middle east. That or the thought leaders of Christianity knew that white people would never submit to a God who was darker than they were.

Drainy

Genuine story. I went for a hike in Marsden, Huddersfield where The League of Gentlemen was filmed.

Did my walk for however many miles around the reservoirs and called into the Riverhead pub afterwards. Really nice pub, I ordered a great stout and looked around me and I was surrounded by men in black face.

I couldn't believe it.

Turned out they were Morris Dancers there for the Moonraker festival but christ I couldn't believe what I saw on my first time there, especially with the links to League of Gentlemen and Papa Lazarou. Fiction is reality sometimes.

Thankfully I'm no one's wife. At least not yet :lol:

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
While traditional television channels used to simply quietly stop repeating old shows that were no longer considered appropriate, the advent of streaming means catch-up services need to constantly reassess their back catalogues – attracting publicity in the process.
Key point, I think. There's nothing particularly new about inappropriate content being dropped but doing so now draws more attention.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The blackface episode of Always Sunny has been taken down too. Which is an episode in which blackace apologists are mocked. So for good or bad, the lines seem clear: if you use blackface for any reason, even as satire mocking people who defend blackface, you're in trouble.

b82REZ

The blackface episode of Always Sunny has been taken down too. Which is an episode in which blackace apologists are mocked. So for good or bad, the lines seem clear: if you use blackface for any reason, even as satire mocking people who defend blackface, you're in trouble.
The Gang makes Lethal Weapon 6 is still on Nertlix. I watched it last night.

b82REZ

Strange. I wonder why one was taken down while the other wasn't?
I've actually gone out of my way to look out for shows that have supposedly had episodes taken off the service and so far I haven't noticed anything missing.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Currently overhearing the next door neighbour and his mate having a hysterical conversation in their garden about Little Britain and League of Gentlemen. One of them must've squealed "BUT WHAT ABOUT "WHITE CHICKS"?!" about 20 times now. He's now predicting that it won't be long until we're all fined on the spot for swearing. And it just goes around in a loop of whataboutery to the extreme, infinitely.

I feel like I'm eavesdropping on this:

psychdelicblues

Currently overhearing the next door neighbour and his mate having a hysterical conversation in their garden about Little Britain and League of Gentlemen. One of them must've squealed "BUT WHAT ABOUT "WHITE CHICKS"?!" about 20 times now. He's now predicting that it won't be long until we're all fined on the spot for swearing. And it just goes around in a loop of whataboutery to the extreme, infinitely.

YT comment...

He's right. I said I was English and now I'm in jail. But I'm not upset because prison these days is like a holiday camp.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He's right. I said I was English and now I'm in jail. But I'm not upset because prison these days is like a holiday camp.
:lol: They all have Playstations!!!111!

Posh Red

This sketch is so on point right now

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The typically ignorant, superior, and insensitive Boris Johnson wades in and effectively says: "Stop playing the victim, and saying things are bad." ~

'Boris Johnson has responded to the global wave of Black Lives Matter protests by announcing a government commission to look into racial inequalities.

Johnson said he wanted to “change the narrative” on race, saying that “what I think’s been slightly lost in all this is the story of success”, with people from BAME backgrounds performing increasingly well at school and university.

Johnson went on to say he wanted to “stop the sense of victimisation and discrimination”, the former word somewhat echoing a controversial article about Liverpool written when he edited the Spectator magazine, which accused the city of wallowing in a sense of victimhood.'

Guardian said:
Johnson writes that he would “resist with every breath in my body” any moves to remove Churchill’s statue from Parliament Square
Oh FFS.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
How was Friends homophobic? Wasn't the biggest fan but the only gay characters I can remember were Ross' ex and her girlfriend.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
How was Friends homophobic? Wasn't the biggest fan but the only gay characters I can remember were Ross' ex and her girlfriend.
I think one of the parents was a cross dresser and a figure of fun. The fat shaming was as bad and there wasn't any racial diversity at all. But probably more show of its time that anything else.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think one of the parents was a cross dresser and a figure of fun. The fat shaming was as bad and there wasn't any racial diversity at all. But probably more show of its time that anything else.
Also, none of these concepts were societal norms of the time when Friends was on. There was no pressure to hire people to meet some sort of societal quota back then.