"Blackface" Discussion

Withnail

I think one of the parents was a cross dresser and a figure of fun. The fat shaming was as bad and there wasn't any racial diversity at all. But probably more show of its time that anything else.
It is a show of it's time but I watched a few episodes recently and there's also a lot more homophobic jokes than I had remembered.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They should be ashamed of themselves. It's 2022 and they're still clinging to the idea that morris dancing is socially acceptable.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The big fake hooter does seem a bit unnecessary. Considering most people who watch won’t have a clue what yer man looked like. Strange decision.
Yeah the bloke has a fair size nose naturally, so seems a bit unnecessary. That seems way more iffy than the fact he's non-Jewish, which I don't see see as a big deal.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah the bloke has a fair size nose naturally, so seems a bit unnecessary. That seems way more iffy than the fact he's non-Jewish, which I don't see see as a big deal.
Yeah, same. Although I do get a bit confused about being Jewish as a religion vs an ethnicity. There would usually be a big fuss if you cast a white actor in a role that is supposed to represent a minority ethnicity. So maybe this is the same thing?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
That being said, there are plenty of good Jewish actors who could play the part, Paul Rudd immediately comes to mind

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
There is no way anyone involved in this project could've predicted there'd be any backlash over a non Jewish actor wearing a huge fake nose to appear more Jewish.

No way.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Sounds like a bad skit. They ask Bradley Cooper if he knows a good Jewish actor to play the role, and he just applies a comically large fake nose and raises one eyebrow

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

It's a nose, Jewish people make fun of this themselves as in the video above (I'm assuming she's Jewish :nervous:).

That said it seems silly to need a prosthetic nose to play a character unless it's somehow crucial to the story.

tomaldinho1

That being said, there are plenty of good Jewish actors who could play the part, Paul Rudd immediately comes to mind
I don't really buy into this line of thinking, i.e. a Jewish actor should play a Jewish character. Just pick the best actor bearing in mind they should at least resemble the person somewhat.

Didn't his kids come and and basically kill this whole argument anyway by saying he had a massive nose and they don't mind Cooper is wearing a prosthetic.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

It's a nose, Jewish people make fun of this themselves as in the video above (I'm assuming she's Jewish :nervous:).

That said it seems silly to need a prosthetic nose to play a character unless it's somehow crucial to the story.
Can of worms that. How is it relevant?

Camilo

Honestly think this is yet another load of nothing to get wound up about.

Bernstein had a big nose. Not massive, but big. Cooper has a boney nose. Who cares. Is it going to make or break the movie? No.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I don't really buy into this line of thinking, i.e. a Jewish actor should play a Jewish character. Just pick the best actor bearing in mind they should at least resemble the person somewhat.

Didn't his kids come and and basically kill this whole argument anyway by saying he had a massive nose and they don't mind Cooper is wearing a prosthetic.
Personally I am fine with it too but I can understand why some may not be.

PSV

Looks stupid, but that's about it. With it being a biopic the general offense taken is a quite silly.

That said this idea is probably a good argument against having the same person direct, write and star in movies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Honestly think this is yet another load of nothing to get wound up about.

Bernstein had a big nose. Not massive, but big. Cooper has a boney nose. Who cares. Is it going to make or break the movie? No.
If you do a google image search for Bernstein you can see he's one of those people whose nose (and ears) look bigger as he gets more elderly. Which is common enough. His nose looks normal sized in any photo of him when he's young. So it's an odd decision to go with a large fake nose when he's playing a young Bernstein. Just unnecessary really.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah that’s a bit fecked. When they were applying the makeup and sticking the fake conk on, did nobody think “this is a bit dodgy”?

AFC NimbleThumb

‘Jewface’ & Blackface are not the same. This movie is a homage to a great Jewish conductor, I must have missed blackfaces use in the positive portrayal of black people.

This issue should have its own thread.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
‘Jewface’ & Blackface are not the same. This movie is a homage to a great Jewish conductor, I must have missed blackfaces use in the positive portrayal of black people.

This issue should have its own thread.
Who appears to have owned a perfectly normal nose!

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Who appears to have owned a perfectly normal nose!
To be fair his kids reckon he had a massive old conk (well, a nice big nose). I'm suspicious they might've teased him about it.

However, Bernstein's children said in a statement to TODAY.com they're "perfectly fine" with his appearance.

"Bradley Cooper included the three of us along every step of his amazing journey as he made his film about our father. We were touched to the core to witness the depth of his commitment, his loving embrace of our father's music, and the sheer open-hearted joy he brought to his exploration. It breaks our hearts to see any misrepresentations or misunderstandings of his efforts. It happens to be true that Leonard Bernstein had a nice, big nose. Bradley chose to use makeup to amplify his resemblance, and we're perfectly fine with that. We're also certain that our dad would have been fine with it as well. Any strident complaints around this issue strike us above all as disingenuous attempts to bring a successful person down a notice, a practice we observed all too often perpetrated on our own father.

"At all times during the making of this film, we could feel the profound respect and yes, the love that Bradley brought to his portrait of Leonard Bernstein and his wife, our mother Felicia. We feel so fortunate to have had this experience with Bradley, and we can't wait for the world to see his creation."

https://www.today.com/popculture/movies/bradley-cooper-leonard-bernstein-backlash-maestro-rcna100117

Last edited:

Camilo

If you do a google image search for Bernstein you can see he's one of those people whose nose (and ears) look bigger as he gets more elderly. Which is common enough. His nose looks normal sized in any photo of him when he's young. So it's an odd decision to go with a large fake nose when he's playing a young Bernstein. Just unnecessary really.
But so what?

Nobody is being offensive. It's a prosthetic nose, which will work to make Cooper look slightly less like himself and slightly more like Bernstein. But instead we're all looking for the insult. Which is what exactly? Some antisemitic attack?

This is all a bit silly.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
But so what?

Nobody is being offensive. It's a prosthetic nose, which will work to make Cooper look slightly less like himself and slightly more like Bernstein. But instead we're all looking for the insult. Which is what exactly? Some antisemitic attack?

This is all a bit silly.
I never said it was offensive, an insult or an antisemitic attack. Or anything like that.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
So what's the argument here, that hes taken away an acting job from other actors with big honkers?