"Blackface" Discussion

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So what's the argument here, that hes taken away an acting job from other actors with big honkers?
That he’s playing a jew, and so stuck a bigger hooter on - even though the person in question didn’t have one. If he was playing Barbara Streisand then fair enough, but he isn’t.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
That he’s playing a jew, and so stuck a bigger hooter on - even though the person in question didn’t have one. If he was playing Barbara Streisand then fair enough, but he isn’t.
Are you purposefully ignoring his own children's comments that he did, in fact, have a big nose?

Weird sentence to type.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
In favour of photographs of his actual nose? Yeah I reckon so.

Weird thing to ask.
Are you blind?

I'm as sappy left wing don't offend anyone as you generally come across but I think trying to hint that this is portraying a Jewish stereotype is a reach. The man had an impressive nose, as his family attest to. His family who spent many decades looking directly at his face in real life, and not just looking at a photo as you have.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
But so what?

Nobody is being offensive. It's a prosthetic nose, which will work to make Cooper look slightly less like himself and slightly more like Bernstein. But instead we're all looking for the insult. Which is what exactly? Some antisemitic attack?

This is all a bit silly.
The bolded is nailed on what they're getting at.

It's ridiculous that this has even blown up. White actor in make up and prosthetics shocker.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Looks about the same to me in most pictures. You can find a photo where Coopers nose looks slightly bigger than Bernstein's actual nose and many others where they look almost identical. Seems a fuss about nothing tbh, and if there is an argument to be had it is around actors playing people of different ethnicities from their own. And that isn't totally straight forward as acting is about adopting an identity other than your own. Then again you have outright minstrel style blackface or Mickey Rooney style yellowface which are obviously insulting.

Given that Bernstein was either bisexual or gay despite being married/in heterosexual relationships I think I see another storm on the horizon.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Looks about the same to me in most pictures. You can find a photo where Coopers nose looks slightly bigger than Bernstein's actual nose and many others where they look almost identical. Seems a fuss about nothing tbh, and if there is an argument to be had it is around actors playing people of different ethnicities from their own. And that isn't totally straight forward as acting is about adopting an identity other than your own. Then again you have outright minstrel style blackface or Mickey Rooney style yellowface which are obviously insulting.

Given that Bernstein was either bisexual or gay despite being married/in heterosexual relationships I think I see another storm on the horizon.
Given his children think it's OK and have said so publicly, they even said he would have be OK with it, this to me is just fake outrage

Ted Lasso

Errmmm Bradley Cooper has a longish nose to begin with that by itself is more likely to fit the racist stereotype than Bernstein's actual nose ...

Looks to me like all they've done is created a flatness to the top of the damn thing to look more like Bernstein's profile and they couldn't shorten his nose by adding material so it looks a bit larger than the namesake.

:confused:

Tarrou

wouldn’t be surprised if they thought they could get some free exposure for the movie by doing something like this

I mean it’s obviously gonna raise some eyebrows, and not really needed as cooper is quite well equipped already

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I mean, his kids have literally come out in defense of it and said they were consulted about it before hand. Its a portrayal of one guy's nose, not a negative portrayal of the Jewish community. Although in fairness its not really for people who aren't going to be offended by it to decide if its offensive or not.

Although now if I watch this (I wont) I'm just going to be analyzing how oversized the nose is, rather than actually watching it.

Also is assuming portraying a guy with a big nose as having a big nose, is negatively stereotyping the Jewish community, ironically, also negatively stereotyping the Jewish community? I mean why would you leap straight to that conclusion? I've confused myself.

fergieisold

I mean, his kids have literally come out in defense of it and said they were consulted about it before hand. Its a portrayal of one guy's nose, not a negative portrayal of the Jewish community. Although in fairness its not really for people who aren't going to be offended by it to decide if its offensive or not.

Although now if I watch this (I wont) I'm just going to be analyzing how oversized the nose is, rather than actually watching it.

Also is assuming portraying a guy with a big nose as having a big nose, is negatively stereotyping the Jewish community, ironically, also negatively stereotyping the Jewish community? I mean why would you leap straight to that conclusion? I've confused myself.
He should have used makeup to make his already large nose look smaller to make sure he didn’t upset the Jewish community.