Blind is Carricks Successor

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Blind only plays in midfield during his first season. And no I already said every midfielders presses high for van Gaal.
But none of them made the mistakes that he made on a regular basis, you can ignore it if you want and blame Van gaal but the poor man has nothing to do with it. And there is a difference between pressing high and pressing like an idiot.

Manny

Grammar Police
you would want from a DM. But it certainly is what Mourinho wants and what van Gaal wants.

Players do not go chasing after the ball because they feel like it. Not if you see them do it the entire match, game after game. If they do so, it is because it's the manager's instructions.

Carrick presses just as high as all our other midfielders during a transition.
No he doesn't. Even when he plays in a two, Fellaini/Herrera are far more likely to defend with a press.

And it's night and day when you compare Carrick to Blind defensive play from a lone DM position.

JPRouve

Scout
I know this is sacrilege to Blind fans, but from what I've seen so far, I would say that surprisingly, when Carrick's unavailable, Fellaini might well be the chosen one, specially at away games, to compensate for Pogba's offensive propension and provide some ‘agressiveness’, a Mourinho preference. Both Herrera and Schneiderlin seemed lost there and a bit soft, although probably more dynamical.
I'm a fan of Blind but you are right, when it comes to pressing Fellaini is a lot better. But Fellaini is good when the ball is infront of him, on the other side though...

Utdstar01

He could definitely be a good squad option in a Busquets type moulded role.

Feel he'd be good in a midfield 3 but If we aspire to be the best team in the world again I reckon we should be looking for bigger talents IMO.

Dr Pavel

But none of them made the mistakes that he made on a regular basis, you can ignore it if you want and blame Van gaal but the poor man has nothing to do with it.
How am I blaming van Gaal? If they were all given the same instructions yet Blind made more mistakes than his teammates than that's me blaming Blind.
And there is a difference between pressing high and pressing like an idiot.
Yes the difference is winning the ball, and not winning the ball. When Chile under Bielsa presses like madmen were they idiots too? Or were they just following the manager's instructions but doing it better than say Daley Blind?

JPRouve

Scout
Yes the difference is winning the ball, and not winning the ball. When Chile under Bielsa presses like madmen were they idiots too? Or were they just following the manager's instructions but doing it better than say Daley Blind?
Chile have a collective pressing the 3 closest players have to press aggresively the ball carrier everywhere on the pitch. In the case of Blind he was the only one to do it and sometimes he wasn't even the closest player.

Dr Pavel

No he doesn't. Even when he plays in a two, Fellaini/Herrera are far more likely to defend with a press.
That's because they're number 8s. So they were most likely chasing the other team's number 8,taking them higher up the pitch. While a number 6 like Blind or Carrick will mark the opponents number 10, so naturally they will stay closer to their own goal.
And it's night and day when you compare Carrick to Blind defensive play from a lone DM position.
2 seasons ago maybe Carrick was better. Frankly I don't really remember. But last year Carrick was just as bad defensively as Blind was 2 seasons ago.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I agree with the OP that Blind's best position is as a shield in front of the back four who starts the distribution of the ball from defence when transitioning.

Whether he'll be good enough to replace Carrick is to be seen, but he should definitely be used in this role before he is as a CB.

wiz4231

Erm no, I don't understand why Carrick is so underrated, he's not your average player, there's not many around like Carrick, I put him alongside Pirlo and Alonso. He's a Rolls Royce of a player, it's not all about being combative or a destroyer in midfield, it's all about the football brain, interception, positioning, control, tempo, calm presence, etc none of which Blind can do and to be fair there not many players around that can.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
Even though he is not physical enough and does not fit the Mou style, he is the best back-up option for Blind in our squad.
Whenever Carrick does not start and Morgan or Herrera replace him, we will miss a lot of his passing. This could be made up for by Blind.

SirAnderson

That's true but Blind has shown he's canny enough to compensate for a lack of athleticism in a position where being big/strong/quick is supposedly even more of an asset: central defence. I think he's a better option than any of our other CMs when it comes to doing the same job that Carrick does for the team.
More often than not he wins the ball back for us very early, but of course would occasionally mean he got bypassed. There are and have been top level DMs who are great defensively but haven't got great ability on the ball, and equally there have been great deep lying playmakers who aren't the best at screening the defense. Only a few can other both and Blind is one of them.
This.

I think many people quickly dismiss this idea of Blind because of his small stature but he has proven time and again that he is much more agile and intelligent to make up for his shortcomings.

Definitely a better option if we looking for someone to replace Carrick. More so than Schneidelin for me.

Last season even though he played in the CB position you would find him venturing forward, he wants to spray the ball, intercept passes before it gets to the back 4, wants to link up play. For me the way he plays is more suited as a DM and can definitely take the mantle from Carrick, whether that is for the next 10 years, I don't know and I don't think so, I think we may find someone that can do a better job, but for the foreseeable future, I don't mind to see him cement his place there.

I attached this vid just as a indication to that intelligent play and keen desire to venture forward, to play just behind the defense. You see in some of the cases his calmness in those situations is something that we need in a CDM.

Reactions: Akshay

Manny

Grammar Police
That's because they're number 8s. So they were most likely chasing the other team's number 8,taking them higher up the pitch. While a number 6 like Blind or Carrick will mark the opponents number 10, so naturally they will stay closer to their own goal.
So Carrick doesn't press as high as the rest of the midfield, yeah? Because you said he did in your earlier post.

2 seasons ago maybe Carrick was better. Frankly I don't really remember. But last year Carrick was just as bad defensively as Blind was 2 seasons ago.
I was talking about styles of holding the midfield. Not who is better. Which I'd say would still be Carrick btw

Dr Pavel

Chile have a collective pressing the 3 closest players have to press aggresively the ball carrier everywhere on the pitch. In the case of Blind he was the only one to do it and sometimes he wasn't even the closest player.
How do you mean Blind was the only one to do it? I'm assuming your talking about during a counter attack. Then naturally as the deepest midfielder, he should go out and press the ball carrier. Who else is going to do it?

However of you're talking about when the other team is building up from the back then I simply don't agree. You can't press high without the whole team doing it. And obviously the whole team was doing it, not only Blind.

Dr Pavel

So Carrick doesn't press as high as the rest of the midfield, yeah? Because you said he did in your earlier post
Yes most of the time I would say so. But that's due to their opponents position on the pitch. If let's say the number 10 drops really deep then the number 6 would follow him too. Obviously only to a point.

My point was that they all press their designated player. Not that Blind presses but Carrick doesn't. They all do.

Super_Mario

Blind constantly has proved his doubters wrong. I think his best position is CDM and will shine given an extended run in that position.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
This.

I think many people quickly dismiss this idea of Blind because of his small stature but he has proven time and again that he is much more agile and intelligent to make up for his shortcomings.

Definitely a better option if we looking for someone to replace Carrick. More so than Schneidelin for me.

Last season even though he played in the CB position you would find him venturing forward, he wants to spray the ball, intercept passes before it gets to the back 4, wants to link up play. For me the way he plays is more suited as a DM and can definitely take the mantle from Carrick, whether that is for the next 10 years, I don't know and I don't think so, I think we may find someone that can do a better job, but for the foreseeable future, I don't mind to see him cement his place there.

I attached this vid just as a indication to that intelligent play and keen desire to venture forward, to play just behind the defense. You see in some of the cases his calmness in those situations is something that we need in a CDM.

Good post, he was younger and it was his first season in the prem. I think people also need to remember how disjointed we were defensively that year due to how often we changed the team/formation. Personally, I could see him being a United captain one day. Alternatively, an under-appreciated Blind will go to Barcelona and be rated much higher than he is currently.

Glanville95

I'm a big Blind fan and he's one of the most intelligent players in our squad, but he struggled to cope with the pace and physicality of the league when he played DM before and I can't see that being any different now. Carrick is more naturally bigger built, more physical even if he is a bit of a melt in relation to his size and is positionally better in that position IMO.

It wasn't just the physical and energy demands that Blind struggled with, but I remember him often straying out of position when he played that position briefly and getting caught too high upfield on more than one occasion. I still see him as an auxiliary player who can fill in at three positions to great effect, but not a starter in DM.

I also don't think he's Jose ideal DM player and he'll be looking for someone more mobile, more aggressive and tenacious to fill in that vacancy. A lot of people on here see Mensah as that guy potentially and I'd like to see someone more industrious. He's a Carrick-lite yes, but not someone who can fulfill that role to the same degree that Carrick has.

carlosp

Why is everyone arguing about Blind and Carrick? Currently we have Carrick as the DM in our team but Carrick is 35. How much longer can he survive in that roll for the club? One or two years? Blind is 26 years old at this moment. He might be just behind Carrick in stability as a DM but I see no reason why he won't grow into the roll if he doesn't get to play as a CB this season for United. Last season the club tried Carrick and Schweinsteiger and that started well but once both were injured it was a bit of a mess. I can easily see Blind moving into the roll with Pogba if Carrick is out injured.

First thing to note, Blind is not getting sold. He will play CB when injuries occur. And he has the chance to play DM when Carrick or Schneiderlin don't.

Pogba this season is going to be crucial for the DM, he brings that attacking mind that has been missing from even Sir Alex's last two or three seasons since Scholes.

Manny

Grammar Police
I'm starting to think I'd much prefer Blind holding our midfield then Schneiderlin.

He's intelligent, wants the ball, willing to try probing passes, good range of passing, links up well with others and just brings an all round composure to the team.

GloryHunter07

IF Blind can stop himself from losing positional discipline and chasing/pressing players up the field, he can be the man.

carlosp

I'm starting to think I'd much prefer Blind holding our midfield then Schneiderlin.

He's intelligent, wants the ball, willing to try probing passes, good range of passing, links up well with others and just brings an all round composure to the team.
I think I'd prefer Blind too however you can't discount the fact that Schneiderlin and Pogba are French and both will be playing for France too so getting Schneiderlin in the DM with Pogba will eventually bare fruit. Schneiderlin just needs to improve.

Blind however is intelligent and as per the recent article, he does ok with Bailly and while they both can't communication much as Blind doesn't speak French and Bailly doesn't speak Dutch, the few English that they do communicate between themselves seems to be enough. Also Pogba's English is great so Daley shouldn't have a problem there.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...tball-news/man-utd-news-blind-bailly-11720979

And Blind says the pair are overcoming a language barrier to form a partnership.

“We talked a lot before, of course more with the hands because I don’t speak French. But a little bit of English. We understand each other, that’s a good thing,” said the Dutchman.

itso 7

You are right, we use old tapes. But we can't fabricate facts based on his good performances in central defense to demonstrate that he is a better CM/DM today. Until the opposite is proved Blind is a good CB and a naive midfieder with a very good passing technique.
Which demonstrates that at least he has the tools in his game to play the role, it's not like he completely failed at the role in his first season there because he had some very good games there too even though they were overshadowed by some poor displays. Imo in a specific combination and with some adjustment to his style he has every chance of becoming a very good player in that role certainly better than our other options there as things stand right now.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I'm a big Blind fan and he's one of the most intelligent players in our squad, but he struggled to cope with the pace and physicality of the league when he played DM before and I can't see that being any different now. Carrick is more naturally bigger built, more physical even if he is a bit of a melt in relation to his size and is positionally better in that position IMO.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/whos-been-our-best-player-so-far.398298/

In November of his first season, he was easily considered our best outfield player (see above). As the season went on, a first year in the prem after a long world cup for him, Van Gaals ever-changing tactics, and a few injuries without rest caught up with him (similar to Smalling last season). Since then, he has had an impressive season at centre-back under his belt and has more than shown to be capable of this league, being one of our better performers in a very physically demanding position.

Nick.

I think I'd prefer Blind too however you can't discount the fact that Schneiderlin and Pogba are French and both will be playing for France too so getting Schneiderlin in the DM with Pogba will eventually bare fruit. Schneiderlin just needs to improve.

Blind however is intelligent and as per the recent article, he does ok with Bailly and while they both can't communication much as Blind doesn't speak French and Bailly doesn't speak Dutch, the few English that they do communicate between themselves seems to be enough. Also Pogba's English is great so Daley shouldn't have a problem there.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Blind and Bailly both speak Spanish

carlosp

I'm sure I read somewhere that Blind and Bailly both speak Spanish
I edited my post already.

And Blind says the pair are overcoming a language barrier to form a partnership.

“We talked a lot before, of course more with the hands because I don’t speak French. But a little bit of English. We understand each other, that’s a good thing,” said the Dutchman.

deleon

I'm sure Blind can be a serviceable holding player in a 4-1-2-3, which has been Mourinho's alternative tactic in recent years. He would have Pogba in front of him, partnered by either Schneiderlin (for when we need to be more defensive) or Herrera (for when we can be more creative).

Usually, the two main disadvantages of fielding Pogba and another dynamic midfielder is that, firstly, they could be caught off-guard positionally; and secondly, they are not great dictators of play through long-range passing. Having someone like Blind to provide support would complement their skillset very well. Obviously Carrick would be a much better foil, but he is not going to be playing every game at this stage. Blind is not perfect, but he is competent enough to allow our star player play his natural game.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
We have seen it already, Blind being played there by Mourinho, this season. I just think that if the 66 minutes Blind played as #6 in the friendly against Dortmund weren't decisive for Mourinho, they weren't promising either.

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
I don't think Blind van do it, but he has proven me wrong at least four times in his career. Let the kid try and he will probably surprise us again.

ghagua

Blind as a backup in central midfield or left back would be fine with me. I can go back to liking him as a squad player instead of hating him as a center half.

GloryHunter07

I think that was more van Gaal requesting players to stick to their man. You saw Smalling do the same on a number of occasions too.
Yeah perhaps, odd to ask a defensive midfielder to do that, but i guess Van Gal did lots of odd things.

Generally Jose has said we are moving from man marking to zonal so there shouldn't be any reason for that nonsense going forward.

carlosp

We have seen it already, Blind being played there by Mourinho, this season. I just think that if the 66 minutes Blind played as #6 in the friendly against Dortmund weren't decisive for Mourinho, they weren't promising either.
It was the first game of the pre-season. I don't think Mourinho would make his mind up on that one single pre-season game. Practices and game time will help Mou.

Manny

Grammar Police
I think I'd prefer Blind too however you can't discount the fact that Schneiderlin and Pogba are French and both will be playing for France too so getting Schneiderlin in the DM with Pogba will eventually bare fruit. Schneiderlin just needs to improve
The main problem with Schneiderlin is he doesn't look like he has the personality to play the role. He's more comfortable with pressing a player and laying the ball of for someone else to try and work it forward. He's played the role in a very limited fashion.

Very uninspiring. It's like having Darmian sat in the middle of everything.

carlosp

The main problem with Schneiderlin is he doesn't look like he has the personality to play the role. He's more comfortable with pressing a player and laying the ball of for someone else to try and work it forward. He's played the role in a very limited fashion.

Very uninspiring. It's like having Darmian sat in the middle of everything.
Anyway, it's a problem for Mourinho to resolve. Nothing us armchair coaches can do. :D

Dr Pavel

Yeah perhaps, odd to ask a defensive midfielder to do that, but i guess Van Gal did lots of odd things.

Generally Jose has said we are moving from man marking to zonal so there shouldn't be any reason for that nonsense going forward.
Just because the results weren't good for us does not mean his methods were odd/nonsense.

And Mourinho might talk a good talk and play a better politician, but his tactics and philosophy is still heavily influenced by LvG.

RedDevilUnited369

I just read that Mata, Blind and Januzaj all want out...

Mata and Januzaj feel humiliated and De Boer wants Blind.

GloryHunter07

Just because the results weren't good for us does not mean his methods were odd/nonsense.

And Mourinho might talk a good talk and play a better politician, but his tactics and philosophy is still heavily influenced by LvG.
But some of his methods were nonsense?

Like trying to beat teams while making one shot on goal all game. Remember?