Blue Cards to be introduced which will send players to the Sin Bin

brian017

It won’t work unless they introduce a stop start clock too. Teams will just find innovative ways to time waste and run down the clock. I was at a GAA match recently, someone got a black card (essentially the same thing) and one of his teammates soon after went down with an “injury” for 3 minutes, got up, took a swig from a waterbottle while glancing at the stadium scoreboard clock and then went down for another minute or 2. It was ridiculous

The Red Thinker

Blue cards are set to be introduced for football sin-bins, with players removed from field for 10 minutes for cynical fouls or dissent, what are your thoughts on this idea?

This is going to feck up the game so much more. The refs are petulant as is. I shudder to think how Anthony Taylor and the like will abuse this power to tilt a game. At least with Yellow’s and Red’s the lines are a lot clearer in comparison. “Dissent” or “cynical foul” is far too ambiguous and will guarantee that Refs will have more power than before. Sigh.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Jesus, City might have to actually learn how to defend without constantly fouling. Might end up in the Championship if they're not careful.

fps

But, the player getting blue-carded has to pick the card from a deck and if it’s blue with a stripe they get an extra player for 10 minutes.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I've been playing professional football for 12 years and for nine years there were no rule changes, the past three years there have been a lot. I don't know why; football is such a nice game.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Another innovation that will lead to more time wasting, more conservative play and less football being played over the 90.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I've been playing professional football for 12 years and for nine years there were no rule changes, the past three years there have been a lot. I don't know why; football is such a nice game.
They'll be changing golf next Gareth.

MonkeysMagic

Ok, so cynical fouls and foul language as determined by the ref...can really see how consistently this will be applied given their current track record!

tomaldinho1

This will go well. How dumb are they? It's already too nuanced and there are too many grey areas, so they've added another one.

Irrational.

I think they should implement a rainbow card system:

Red card - off you go, early bath for you
Orange card - you’re a gnat’s bollock away from being sent off.
Yellow card - caution
Green card - also known as the Michael Oliver card. If given to a United player, automatically converts to red. For all other teams, converts to yellow. If given to a Liverpool player, a public apology will be offered.
Blue card - sin bin for cynical fouls
Indigo card - bin sin for players who display unprofessional behaviour whilst in the sin bin. Later converted to a yellow if behaviour persists.
Violet card- opposite of red card. If a team shows great sportsmanship, allow an extra player on for ten minutes.

BristolMick

Blue cards are set to be introduced for football sin-bins, with players removed from field for 10 minutes for cynical fouls or dissent, what are your thoughts on this idea?

I'm not allowed to post media yet.
I wonder if the colour is inspired by Man City seeing as they're one of the worst offenders for professional fouls when teams break against them.

Would prefer referees to just clamp down on repeat offenders of professional fouling and get their yellow and red cards out rather than trying to over complicate the beautiful game with sin bins.

Not a fan of this at all. When's it due to come into play?

crossy1686

career ending
Can we sort out the handball rule first maybe?

If they're going to start over complicating the rules with more things referee's can misinterpret we might as well just let AI ref the games moving forward and just have a bloke on the pitch as the messenger.

massi83

Sensible improvement. There is a clear need to have something in between yellow and red cards. Next change accidental hand fouls to indirect free kicks or equivalents.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm actually not opposed to a sin bin style card being introduced at some point but this just isn't the time. As it is, VAR is still crap in it's utilisation and there still isn't real clarity over what warrants a yellow or red card. Adding a new card to the fold is just a terrible decision for the time being. Fix the former three things first and then let's look at sin bin systems.

Sylar

If Onana gets a blue card then who goes in goal? Maguire?
Was going to ask this. What happens if a GK gets a blue card and goes out for ten minutes.
That could be quite funny, where you have to nominate an outfield player to go in goal.

Cloud7

“Tactical fouls” are one of my least favorite things about the game, and that includes all the diving and rolling about. I am all for them being punished more harshly

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The idea of introducing this card is presumably to have a lower threshold than we currently have for yellow cards and a more immediate/impactful punishment for the team the cheat plays for.

Although I would like to know what happens to repeat offenders. Does two blues in same game = yellow -> red? Or can you get as many blues as you want?
Or in other words, they feel teams are willing to take a yellow card if they can get away with certain things, so the punishment should be raised for those "certain things" so teams think twice about engaging

My issue with this is that the determination of "certain things" is arbitrary and biased. Which goes back towards my initial post about "yay more counters", which historically this topic has always revolved around. Plus I think it is excessive punishment to leave a team a man down for 10 minutes for the specific offenses being mentioned.

And, do you really want VAR getting involved more in the game than it is today? :D

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Was going to ask this. What happens if a GK gets a blue card and goes out for ten minutes.
That could be quite funny, where you have to nominate an outfield player to go in goal.
John O'Shea was born in the wrong era, he'd be a £150m player now

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If you're making teams be down to 10 more frequently, then you'll just be making more games more boring as teams just defend and time waste their way through 10 minutes periods. It's daft.

massi83

If you're making teams be down to 10 more frequently, then you'll just be making more games more boring as teams just defend and time waste their way through 10 minutes periods. It's daft.
Should we get rid of the red card then as well?

Swedish_Plumber

Jesus, City might have to actually learn how to defend without constantly fouling. Might end up in the Championship if they're not careful.
See this won’t happen. Instead, refs will book opposition for dissent because they’re moaning that city players have got away with it.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Excellent idea. If two players are given blue at the same time, they play rock paper scissors to see who goes off.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Should we get rid of the red card then as well?
Where did he say that?

A red card is an actual proper disadvantage for good reason.

A blue card, for something left up the referees discretion which can be given out 20 times a match if he pleases is just fecking stupid.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I can't wait for the day they introduce a multi-ball system.
Bomb ball is the best idea. You have one bomb ball sat in those little throw in cones, it can enter the match at any point but nobody knows which ball it is. Once it feels first contact, it starts a 2 minute timer to boomtime.

massi83

Where did he say that?

A red card is an actual proper disadvantage for good reason.

A blue card, for something left up the referees discretion which can be given out 20 times a match if he pleases is just fecking stupid.
So just get rid of red cards for the last 10mins? Same (il)logic