Blue Cards to be introduced which will send players to the Sin Bin

Wing Attack Plan R

Bomb ball is the best idea. You have one bomb ball sat in those little throw in cones, it can enter the match at any point but nobody knows which ball it is. Once it feels first contact, it starts a 2 minute timer to boomtime.
Is there a way to delay the detonation on field? Like, I love the 2 minute timer idea, but let's say you have a shot on goal, does that add 15 seconds to the timer?

Andersons Dietician

Why do they insist on messing with something that has been fine for the last 100 years and would have been fine without all this crap. I’m sure we all enjoy a good cynical foul, it’s part of the gamesmanship. But now a yellow and a blue is equivalent to two yellow cards resulting in a red.

So say there is a break developing and you do just enough to stop that break without seriously harming anyone that is now a blue. And then if you miss time a tackle slightly resulting in a yellow you’re gone.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Wonder how many of our players will be Blue-carded if we're drawing at the end of the game?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
So just get rid of red cards for the last 10mins? Same (il)logic
Well no because the 2 cards are for completely different things? One is for telling the dickhead ref he is a dickhead. The other is for dangerous play, denying a goal scoring opportunity or managing to get yourself a 2nd yellow knowing you've already been warned.

One player could get a blue card for saying "c'mon ref" yet other players would call the referees mother a whore and not get a blue card. Its stupid letting the referee just make this shit up even more as they go along.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Is there a way to delay the detonation on field? Like, I love the 2 minute timer idea, but let's say you have a shot on goal, does that add 15 seconds to the timer?
I think we could work that in.

- goal, adds 2 minutes I think.
- time wasting, bomb counts down at double speed.
- Antony using his left foot adds 20 mins.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Should we get rid of the red card then as well?
The threshold for a red card is obviously a lot higher.

There's a red card roughly one in every 5 or 6 matches... roughly how many tactical fouls are there per game?!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

massi83

Well no because the 2 cards are for completely different things? One is for telling the dickhead ref he is a dickhead. The other is for dangerous play, denying a goal scoring opportunity or managing to get yourself a 2nd yellow knowing you've already been warned.

One player could get a blue card for saying "c'mon ref" yet other players would call the referees mother a whore and not get a blue card. Its stupid letting the referee just make this shit up even more as they go along.
Telling ref he is dickhead is actually a red card.

Dissent is a huge problem at professional and amateur/youth level. And very seldomly it happens because referee is a dickhead, more commonly it happens when a player is a dickhead.

Refs make equivalent decision in every match.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

Dissent is a huge problem at professional and amateur/youth level. And very seldomly it happens because referee is a dickhead, more commonly it happens when a player is a dickhead.

Most refs are dickheads.

kidbob

Yet another rule to be badly implemented. Now we not only get to bitch about VAR, we also get to figure out why the same tackles don’t receive the same blue card punishment. A blue card isn’t going to make refs book the likes of Rodri, they already have a yellow card for that. It isn’t going to explain why Dalot is seemingly the only player this season to be ‘properly’ punished for dissent despite numerous equivalent examples.

its just another thing for the refs to screw up.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Sinbins have been in amateur football for a while, and work really well

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why don’t we just get managers to collect cards and the pitch be turned into a giant board game where the players move around according to the cards played and we can have specials like the Antony back pass or the Onana take a chance card

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
They could introduce “wrecking ball” matches where your players get to use a big crane with wrecking ball on it, the aim is to either defend your stadium or to wreck the opponents (home and away)

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

So give them a red card, a blue card is pointless.

Give them a yellow for dissent then don't bottle giving them a 2nd yellow.

Refs currently think they're judge dredd. "I am the law" and just make it up as they go along, they can't even interpret proper written rules and apply them properly, give them a bit more leeway on their interpretations and we are fecked.

massi83

Sounds you don't understand what's going on and what this implies.
Do you think the standard of refereeing improves with more or less dissent?

Same principal when people yell "these refs are so shit, they should be paid less".

massi83

So give them a red card, a blue card is pointless.

Give them a yellow for dissent then don't bottle giving them a 2nd yellow.

Refs currently think they're judge dredd. "I am the law" and just make it up as they go along, they can't even interpret proper written rules and apply them properly, give them a bit more leeway on their interpretations and we are fecked.
Sure, in theory. Unfortunately players and spectators are quite stupid, and wouldn't accept increased reds, not for decades at least. Look how dumb the players still are with the "don't stop playing if somebody is down" change.

TsuWave

So incompetent and inconsistent referees will now also be - arbitrarily - deciding what’s a “cynical” foul? This will go down well, surely

DeGea

Mic up the refs. That’s all you need. Make it like rugby. FFS. It is not that hard. It will improve dramatically.

Rugby refs are much more intelligent it seems. I am sure football refs are not actually idiots but unless we hear the thought processes of these people, hard to understand and work on improving it.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Just dumb. Football used to be a really simple game with a minimal set of rules. We keep adding new elements that slow down and complicate the game. The powers that be have been on a decade long crusade to ruin our game. It wont be long till they sel sponsorship deals for the yellow red and possibly blue cards......

Wing Attack Plan R

Mic up the refs. That’s all you need. Make it like rugby. FFS. It is not that hard. It will improve dramatically.

Rugby refs are much more intelligent it seems. I am sure football refs are not actually idiots but unless we hear the thought processes of these people, hard to understand and work on improving it.
The last thing I want in a football match is to hear a boring cnut like Michael Oliver talk.

Giggsy13

Sin-bins in football won't work unless you also stop the clock when the ball isn't in play and make the games 60 mins. Otherwise teams will just time waste their way out of it.
But teams do that with a red card anyways. I think it’s a good concept, won’t ruin games that get a little fiesty.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No they don't, they just get away with more due to absolutely shite refereeing.

And other teams get fouls given for perfect tackles.
Interesting theory

I know you're a City fan but number of fouls =/= whether or not they tactical foul. You'd have to have some pretty blue-tinted specs not to acknowledge how bad City are for tactical fouls. There's literal articles about their fouling:

https://theathletic.com/5024439/2023/11/03/manchester-city-tactical-fouls/
You mentioned fouls, not tactical fouls

And I would argue that the majority of their tactical fouls don't occur once the counter occurs, which most people get mad about. The majority of their tactical fouls occur immediately they lose possession, attempting to recover the ball, before the counter is started. The article mentions this.

Plus unlike those advocating for blue cards, I don't automatically view a tactical foul as worse as a foul. That's an artificial differentiation.

Surely that's actually fouls punished?

They get away with an inordinate amount of cynical stuff.
A lot of what they do is cynical but it's hard to card, because then you'd have to card almost every foul by any team

"Counter already started, defender steps across attacker without playing the ball"... If that happens, you're getting a card automatically, 99.99% of the time, unless the ref didn't see it. That applies to City, United, other teams...

"Possession is lost, attacker challenges defender with the ball for the ball"... A foul is usually given. And there is a cynicism behind the foul of course, but generally speaking, refs will almost never give the yellow for that, unless excessive force was given.

City used to be great at the first item, with Fernandinho the major culprit. Then the league started cracking down on it, and City's struggles in 2019-20 were partly to them conceding more goals.

Today, they're great at the second option. As soon as they lose possession they use the first wave of pressure (headed by their front men) to try and win possession, even if that behavior may have the foul called. That delays the counter and allows their defensive shape to set, so it is cynical, but it's not as cynical as cutting down a midfielder running at their defense. And there is a desire to win the ball back (at all costs)