Blur

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
That 5 hours long come on come on come on come on song is the most boring song I have ever heard in my life.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Going to see them tomorrow in Dublin. Always liked them, never saw them before. Anyone else going? Saw the photography exhibit in IMMA yesterday. Some brilliant pics of them fom back in the day. Anyhow, looking forward to it.

Liam147

On Probation
I'm too young to remember the whole Britpop rivalry bollocks, but looking back it looks utterly cringeworthy. You've got Oasis, who are writing the better songs, but nicking everyone else's tunes to do so, and Blur who to me were quite middle-of-the-road. There's only a handful of their songs which I like, whereas I liked every song on What's The Story and about half of Definitely Maybe. After that they probably had four good songs from as many albums. Might have been due to my dad liking Oasis over Blur, but I think they were both hugely overhyped. Then again, I think the 90s were a poor decade for music.

Enjoy the concert SI.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I'm too young to remember the whole Britpop rivalry bollocks, but looking back it looks utterly cringeworthy. You've got Oasis, who are writing the better songs, but nicking everyone else's tunes to do so, and Blur who to me were quite middle-of-the-road. There's only a handful of their songs which I like, whereas I liked every song on What's The Story and about half of Definitely Maybe. After that they probably had four good songs from as many albums. Might have been due to my dad liking Oasis over Blur, but I think they were both hugely overhyped. Then again, I think the 90s were a poor decade for music.

Enjoy the concert SI.
This is such bollocks Liam. Blur, in hindsight, were by far the superior band.

This whole thread is cringeworthy to be honest.

Mockney

In fairness, you're a Landana, and I'm from t'north. I dare say a lot of the geographical side came into it.
Not at all. I was an Oasis fan at the time. S'why I say in hindsight. Their variety stands the test of time far better than Oasis.

I don't think Oasis are shit either, I just don't think their reputation has held up nearly as well over time.

ciderman9000000

Not at all. I was an Oasis fan at the time. S'why I say in hindsight. Their variety stands the test of time far better than Oasis.
Blur were more varied, no doubt, but that doesn't make them superior. Oasis' music for instance was far more emotional.

Zen

I thought Blur being overall better was wildly accepted at this point....they actually adapted very well after Britpop ended, their last 3 albums were all great, whereas Oasis still only have 2 great albums.

Who were the better Britpop band....yeah still a debate I guess, but overall, Blur takes it hands down. Though then again, lots say Think Tank is their most aged album despite being their last, I'm still a big fan of it though.

Member 39557

In your opinion perhaps. Not so in the opinion of many others.

They were both great bands.
In hindsight, I think Blur were far more diverse and Oasis seriously declined after their first 2 albums. Having said that, at the time when they were head to head with the whole rivalry thing, I preferred Oasis.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I never liked Oasis, purely down to the fact that I thought both brothers were utter cnuts.

I liked a lot of Blur stuff.

Mockney

Blur were more varied, no doubt, but that doesn't make them superior. Oasis' music for instance was far more emotional.

Thats surely entirely subjective, and rather arbitrary? How would you define that? I'm sure there's a big divide between people who find Radiohead deeply emotional & those who find them catatonically boring.

I liked Oasis a lot when I was a kid, and they've still got some great lasting songs, but reflecting back on it now, it's hugely evident who the more talented were. Two of Blur are now in an electro-hip hop group & one of them's written an Opera. The Gallagher brothers are still trying to write their first album over again.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The only radiohead song I ever liked was that one from Gone In 60 Seconds.

True story.

Still ill

Some bands are of a time. The Britpop thing certainly was. Oasis were, Blur moved on. Feel the same about the Stone Roses a bit. Hard to picture what their progression would have been.

ciderman9000000

Thats surely entirely subjective, and rather arbitrary? How would you define that? I'm sure there's a big divide between people who find Radiohead deeply emotional & those who find them catatonically boring.

I liked Oasis a lot when I was a kid, but reflecting back on it now, it's hugely evident who the more talented were. Two of Blur are now in an electro-hip hop group & one of them's written an Opera. The Gallagher brothers are still trying to write their first album over again.
Yeah it's subjective and thus I offered my opinion.

The band members of Blur are more varied in their musical talents but variation doesn't equate to superiority. A man might speak ten different languages but that doesn't auto-qualify him as being a better speaker than a master of any single language.

I find Radiohead and Oasis each deeply emotional bands to listen to; Blur less so. The fact that one member of Blur has subsequently written an opera doesn't change that.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Just saw them a couple of days ago at at the Paleo festival in Geneva. I'd say that were really good but not great. Damon sounded good but seemed to be lacking a bit of enthusiasm, and Graham, the self absorbed skinny weird geezer sounded fantastic. Their playlist was pretty much all their hits. I was blown away they actually played my two favorites, Caramel and Trimm Trabb. At one point while they were playing Country House some guy held up an Oasis Shirt and Damon ended up giving him a bollocking saying that he and the Gallaghers had gotten past the bullshit and had been friends for years and he wished all these "wankers" would get over it.

At any rate, it was a dream come true for me as they were by far my favorite band of the 90s and I never imagined I would see them live. The closest they ever got to coming to Colombia was when Alex James had some kind of anti cocaine summit with the Colombian president after he'd gone overboard on the drug and was trying to make some kind of do gooder statement.

Still ill

Just saw them a couple of days ago at at the Paleo festival in Geneva. I'd say that were really good but not great. Damon sounded good but seemed to be lacking a bit of enthusiasm, and Graham, the self absorbed skinny weird geezer sounded fantastic. Their playlist was pretty much all their hits. I was blown away they actually played my two favorites, Caramel and Trimm Trabb. At one point while they were playing Country House some guy held up an Oasis Shirt and Damon ended up giving him a bollocking saying that he and the Gallaghers had gotten past the bullshit and had been friends for years and he wished all these "wankers" would get over it.

At any rate, it was a dream come true for me as they were by far my favorite band of the 90s and I never imagined I would see them live. The closest they ever got to coming to Colombia was when Alex James had some kind of anti cocaine summit with the Colombian president after he'd gone overboard on the drug and was trying to make some kind of do gooder statement.
Delighted to hear they're playing Trimm Trabb. Hope Damon whips up a bit of enthusiasm for Dublin. I'd imagine he needs to be at his best for them to produce a gig to remember.

Nobby style

I'm sure he'll be far better playing to an Irish or British audience. The mostly Swiss crowd definitely lacked the electricity that can make those festival gigs so special. I didn't mind so much as I was only about ten meters from the stage and those around me were well into it. Took some fantastic photos as well that I hope to publish back in Colombia.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I enjoyed seeing them at Oxegen a few years ago because I never thought I'd get the chance but Albarn was pretty out of it. He messed up a few lyrics. Still, it was decent fun. I'll always prefer Blur to Oasis.

Liam147

On Probation
I liked Oasis a lot when I was a kid, and they've still got some great lasting songs, but reflecting back on it now, it's hugely evident who the more talented were.
Blur for me certainly had more talent. For one, like I said, I don't recall them ripping a load of songs and old tunes off, and with Oasis' early stuff, it's all the same chords and solos, just in a different order. Looking back (as far as I can look back anyway), I'm a tad surprised they were quite as popular as they were. Especially with the Gallaghers both being absolute pricks, as Nick said.

But does more talented necessarily mean better? Have you seen those brothers who play the cello or something really fast? Think they're Czech or something like that. Could argue they're more talented than both these bands, but they're not better.

If Oasis quit after the second album I reckon they would be held in much higher regard.
Definitely. Worked for Stone Roses. Seen as some iconic band, and although I like a lot of what they've done, doing two albums in six years counts against them IMO.

Nobby style

I think Blur was by far the most interesting and creative popular band in the 90s. They had such a varied sound and were doing things with pop music that I thought were pretty Beatles-esque. Oasis pales in comparison, as they were basically a standard pop rock outfit. The albums Parklife, Blur and 13 are absolute classics, imo.

And by Blur, I mean Damon Albarn. As great as Graham Coxen's guitar work is with Blur, his solo albums are woeful. Albarn's whole Gorrillaz schtick was genius. I remember my sons and their mates being massively into this new Gorrillaz thing and not paying much attention until I started recognizing the voice and being blown away when I realized who it was. That first Gorrillaz album was a classic. Pretty strange sharing a favorite album with my 7 and 10 year old sons at the time. Thought the Gorrillaz stuff got progressively worse, though. Really enjoyed Albarn's work with the Mali musicians as well. And now he's dabbling with opera, but I haven't had any contact with it. Quite the renaissance man of pop. He's got to be considered some sort of genius. Doesn't hurt that he's quite good looking as well. You think about guys like him and Beckham and Ronaldo and feck me, god certainly plays favorites.

Still ill

Saw them last night, brilliant gig. Had forgotten how good they are. Albarn in flying form. Phil Daniels there for Parklife, finished with Song 2. Really enjoyed the whole thing.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think Blur was by far the most interesting and creative popular band in the 90s. They had such a varied sound and were doing things with pop music that I thought were pretty Beatles-esque. Oasis pales in comparison, as they were basically a standard pop rock outfit. The albums Parklife, Blur and 13 are absolute classics, imo.

And by Blur, I mean Damon Albarn. As great as Graham Coxen's guitar work is with Blur, his solo albums are woeful. Albarn's whole Gorrillaz schtick was genius. I remember my sons and their mates being massively into this new Gorrillaz thing and not paying much attention until I started recognizing the voice and being blown away when I realized who it was. That first Gorrillaz album was a classic. Pretty strange sharing a favorite album with my 7 and 10 year old sons at the time. Thought the Gorrillaz stuff got progressively worse, though. Really enjoyed Albarn's work with the Mali musicians as well. And now he's dabbling with opera, but I haven't had any contact with it. Quite the renaissance man of pop. He's got to be considered some sort of genius. Doesn't hurt that he's quite good looking as well. You think about guys like him and Beckham and Ronaldo and feck me, god certainly plays favorites.
I agree to a certain extent, I just think Oasis were better at the 'brit pop' thing, their two first albums (I like their two last ones as well, but not in the 90s anymore), but by saying that I'm just basically saying I liked Oasis's songs more. Both very good bands.

In any case, for me, Albarn is a genius, he's done so much stuff in different genres, it's quite impressive. One of my all time favourite albums is Demon Days, I think I'll actually give it another (154th) listen this afternoon, never get bored of it. The debut album is brilliant as well, and I have to say I really enjoyed Plastic Beach (just hated Sweepstakes on it). That album done with an iPad on tour thingy was a disappointment, not that I expected anything else. I'm very disappointed I never got to see Gorillaz live though.

I do think Noel Gallagher was/is an incredibly talented lyrics writer, there may be a lack of originality in the music itself, but he sure knows how to handle those words.

ciderman9000000

This got pretty gay.

Laphroaig

Speaking of gay, Suede's Coming Up is the one britpop album I can still tolerate. If it counts as britpop.

Edit: Just listened to it. Some of the hits on it are still good fun, but as an entity it's not really a tolerable album. :(

JmRssll555

Speaking of gay, Suede's Coming Up is the one britpop album I can still tolerate. If it counts as britpop.

Edit: Just listened to it. Some of the hits on it are still good fun, but as an entity it's not really a tolerable album. :(
:lol:

I think the most tragic thing in this thread is Liam's opinion that the 90s was a shit decade for music. In terms of bands, it was a million times better than anything we have nowadays - Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Radiohead, The Verve, Ocean Colour Scene etc.

Whether you prefer Blur or Oasis, or someone else entirely, and whatever arguments you want to make for whichever particular band you thought was "musically better" or progressed more, I think we can all agree that it was a brilliant time for British music as a whole.

P.S Oasis shit on Blur.

Laphroaig

The idea of a decade being musically poor is silly anyway. All the last six-seven decades have produced fantastic and important music. (And before that too, but I suppose we're excluding classical music from this discussion.)

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
:lol:

I think the most tragic thing in this thread is Liam's opinion that the 90s was a shit decade for music. In terms of bands, it was a million times better than anything we have nowadays - Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Radiohead, The Verve, Ocean Colour Scene etc.

Whether you prefer Blur or Oasis, or someone else entirely, and whatever arguments you want to make for whichever particular band you thought was "musically better" or progressed more, I think we can all agree that it was a brilliant time for British music as a whole.

P.S Oasis shit on Blur.
And the Spice Girls!!

Member 39557

Enjoy the concert SI.
Surely wumming.