Board vs Jose

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
What did he mean by you can’t “find” the quote?
Do you know what Google means? Google the quote and you'll find not one reporter tweeting about it, it's just bogus United fan account that are tweeting about it.

They probably work due to naive people like you who are quick to believe everything if its on twitter.

Offsideagain

Jose looks right miserable. He looked tired already and fed up. If he is battling Woodward and the Glazers, then there’s only one winner and he isn’t it.

To be honest, I’m getting bored with the soap opera that follows JM. He should either get on with the job or quit if he’s not happy. This season Liverpool will be the biggest threat to City given the equation for winning the PL which is as follows: Title= £X millions spent on players where X is the highest total. Apart from Leicester of course and City in the early days of the money arriving.

We won’t win the title, maybe an FA Cup unless Jose can get the players playing to their full potential and I don’t think he can. Seems to me like he’s getting his excuses in first. Obviously, I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Do you know what Google means? Google the quote and you'll find not one reporter tweeting about it, it's just bogus United fan account that are tweeting about it.

They probably work due to naive people like you who are quick to believe everything if its on twitter.
Not everything is on the internet! OK, this is, but not everything he says is documented and posted online.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not everything is on the internet! OK, this is, but not everything he says is documented and posted online.
That's a fake quote made up by someone on twitter. Not sure what and why you are arguing against that.

KM

:lol:

What Jose says in his press conference is documented and posted online! What the hell are you even talking about?

Sparky Rhiwabon

What Jose says in his press conference is documented and posted online! What the hell are you even talking about?
Does it say he said it at a press conference? Anyway, why would a United twitter account make it up? Looking at recent tweets, they seem to be legit

KM

Does it say he said it at a press conference? Anyway, why would a United twitter account make it up? Looking at recent tweets, they seem to be legit
Oh alright then they must have got it from a personal conversation from José and none of the other national and local reporters picked it up. Makes sense.

Christ.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Or no one else thought it worthy of publishing. Like I said, Ed traditionally goes on holiday around this time, starts working on stuff start of August iirc.

KM

Or no one else thought it worthy of publishing. Like I said, Ed traditionally goes on holiday around this time, starts working on stuff start of August iirc.
Stop it, you're embarrassing yourself.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Oh alright then they must have got it from a personal conversation from José and none of the other national and local reporters picked it up. Makes sense.

Christ.
How would other reporters “pick it up” if it was a private conversation?

KM

How would other reporters “pick it up” if it was a private conversation?
So you think that the person behind manutdstuff twitter account had a personal convo with Mourinho where Jose actually shared his grievances with him? Do you live in some kind of twilight world?

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Also longterm we will benefit from not paying what other clubs want from us, surely a big money spent on a player here and there is okay but we should be going more Bayern philosophy then RM/Citeh and of course I believe that football can be played with different players, not just world class stars with a certain profile who Mourinho prefers, if he can’t use players like pulisic, malcom, d. Costa you name it and only can play woth a physical winger in a team like perisic or willian who are also very overpriced and with no resale value, then it’s something wrong with him. The other thing is that even if he got those players, there is no guarantee anymore that he will be a success because of his prehistoric pragmatic, “shatmypants” tactics which doesn’t seem to be working anymore, so no wonder they might not be willing to give him funds on certain players

buckooo1978

Jose looks right miserable. He looked tired already and fed up. If he is battling Woodward and the Glazers, then there’s only one winner and he isn’t it.

To be honest, I’m getting bored with the soap opera that follows JM. He should either get on with the job or quit if he’s not happy. This season Liverpool will be the biggest threat to City given the equation for winning the PL which is as follows: Title= £X millions spent on players where X is the highest total. Apart from Leicester of course and City in the early days of the money arriving.

We won’t win the title, maybe an FA Cup unless Jose can get the players playing to their full potential and I don’t think he can. Seems to me like he’s getting his excuses in first. Obviously, I would be happy to be proved wrong.
Fergie obviously won the league plenty without spending more than City and Chelsea

agree with the sentiment though.....Jose has always been quick to point the finger - it's now time for him for him to accept his role, managing and coaching them to produce their best - something he's not come close to

there are a wide range of reasons why we haven't strengthened fully over the last 2 years including; Jose's lack of a game plan, scouting issues, poor negotiation, lack of vision, Glazers tightening the belt, lack of faith in Jose and I think there could well be an element of truth to all these elements.

Bottom line is though Jose needs to get on with it, have relationships with the players that gets the best out of them and be happy, making the most of the opportunity. He's one of 22 guys to have had the privilege of managing our club and he's moping about, grumbling for the couple of years. Wise up man!

Trizy

We're not winning anything this season but on the plus side Jose will get the boot.

There are no managers available to sort us out though. And if one comes in have we to go through the whole bullshit process of waiting another 2 years to give them a chance? Nothing but more shite years ahead so it seems. Sorry for the doom and gloom but it's been that way for 6 years now. Also as it stands I don't see it changing.

Ekeke

The players weve been linked with are mostly unrealistic. If those are the players Mourinho wants then hes asking too much. That said, from what hes said in the past I understand him not to ask for specific players for the most part and to mostly leave it to Woodward to find the player to fulfil the criteria. That would suggest that hes not happy that we havent signed certain positions rather than certain players. But who knows

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Pretty sure he did the same last year. I don't know how how we operate behind the scenes but him being in holiday is either very naive or just simply means we've finished spending, unless somebody else has the responsibility for concluding deals.

Basically it's anybody's guess.
Mourinho said the same thing two years ago as well. And I don't believe Woodward is on holiday.

JohnnyKills

If he takes on Pogba it will be the end for him.

Pogba is in a position of strength coming back from summer a World Cup winner and having finally won the media round (with the narrative that Mourinho isn’t getting the best out of him)

He also seems like he’s one of the most popular guys in the dressing room especially with the younger players.
Yeah agreed. If Mourinho tries to law down the law with Pogba it'll be a massive error. Pogba could easily lead a mutiny; he and his best bud Lukaku seem to be two of the most forceful and intelligent characters we have.

Mourinho can't be that stupid though, can he? Especially after what happened at Chelsea.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Jose's comments yesterday were nothing new to us, when he doesn't get the players he wants, he makes sure all the world knows.

In his first season, Board was more than generous, he managed to get two trophies (not counting the community shield), all good for a first season with a squad that he "inherited" from previous managers.

Second season, instead of building up on what we had and despite our signings, we failed collectively as a team and as a manager. We ended up trophy-less despite having a good shot at the FA Cup and the League Cup (we lost to fecking Bristol, with all respect I mean) and we also crashed out of the CL miserably.
The only positive we can take out is that we were indeed able to beat all the other top 6 teams in the second part of the season, we made quite a comeback against City which took the sting out of the whole PL celebration thing to be fair.

If I am the Board and I look at the second season, and add to it the Mhki/Sanchez swap and the Lukaku/Matic transfers and all the manager/player relationship issues (Martial, Shaw, Rashford, Pogba) that have been surfacing almost everywhere, why would I invest more when the synergy between manager and players is not there. If those players were average or below average, we wouldn't have other top teams sniffing around them wouldn't we?

Jose's main problem is not being able to work with the players at his disposal. If he doesn't have the players he wants, he nags and nags until he loses the dressing room, collects his paycheck and leave. We saw this at Real Madrid, we saw this at his beloved Chelsea.
Give him the team he wants and he will deliver. For him, he needs two more players, for the Board apparently they think the targets are either unreal to get, too costly or that we have the talent or personnel there already. In any case if the board doesn't give him those players, he will need to do with what he has and that is again the problem.
We are barely in pre-season and he is already complaining about the players that are not there, I mean if you're on the tour now and doing your best to impress your manager and you hear him say this, how motivated will you be to keep going? Then he nagged about Leicester City and Brighton, I mean we are the biggest club in England and we worry that smaller teams have more time to prepare for a match? Where is the value of Manchester United, where is the fecking fear factor that we had? Instead of showing intent and going there positively, he slashes out the players. Seriously is this a manager we really want to nurture and lead the talent that we have in our squad?

I respect his achievements. On a professional level he is superb but on a personal level he is such a prick and a drama-queen, so maybe the Board will do us a favor and show him the door if he fails again this season.

bonsaiboy

Part of the problem is that we have no idea what goes on behind the closed doors of the club, so we make inferences based on what we do get to see / hear. There have always been references to managers making lists of players and handing them over to Ed, and you can read that as then being out of the manager's hands. In reality you would hope that both Ed and the manager are in regular contact to discuss price, wage structure, etc. but if that isn't how it works, it would be easy to make the case that these arrangements aren't going to be conducive to a smooth start to the season nor to a good working relationship. For every year that passes it's looking more and more like we need a DoF to take on transfers, though that doesn't always sit well with some managers who like more control.

As fans, we see our club being consistently touted as one of the most valuable franchises in the world, and we regularly see other clubs (PSG, Real Madrid, City, etc.) willing to spend on fixing problematic areas, and willing to pay hefty fees for world-class players. When Neymar moved to PSG, we'd already been conditioned to accept that £200m for a single player was beyond our means. Juventus getting Ronaldo for £100m on paper (given his age) looks like a lot of money, but if he manages to avoid injury he'll be tearing Serie A up for years to come. I get the impression that our board doesn't see the galactico model as something that will significantly improve our revenue, so I don't think we're ever going to be in for the true superstars at their peak. That's a frustrating place to be.

I also believe that our club sees the promotion of youth into the first team a core tenet of the business. While we have reasonable youth product in some areas, we're not producing anything near the quality required to be challenging for the title and for the Champions League. Unfortunately the days have gone where a manager like SAF could take a group of good players and man-manage them into a team that can win everything. The quality of the league has improved too much.

[FWIW I do think that Mourinho is too conservative in his approach sometimes, and he's clearly struggling to motivate some of his players to step up in times of adversity. His solution to that is to call them out, but it doesn't work for everyone and rather than adapting his approach to the individual, it appears that he'd prefer to push players out who don't perform.]

Ban

What's all this talk about Woody on holiday. It's laughable, people let it go.. He Traditionally does on holiday around this time. Really:lol:

edgar allan

Poor Jose. Only able to sign 2 centre backs, 2 midfielders , 2 centre forwards, 2 attacking players and 1 full back in 2 years.
How could anyone compete with that lack off support??

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What's all this talk about Woody on holiday. It's laughable, people let it go.. He Traditionally does on holiday around this time. Really:lol:
With the World Cup this summer, the window closing earlier than usual and the fact that there are still glaring holes in the squad, maybe just maybe, he could have waited a few weeks before jetting off on his hols?

You can’t blame fans for being fecked off when there are only a couple of weeks left before the window closes.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I think the relationship between Jose and the board is very hard to speculate upon. With the players you can see how they perform on the pitch and speak after the games but the board mostly remain quiet. We really don't know what conversations the board have with Jose.

It's too early to question the boards commitment to new players until the TW closes. What if Bale, Maguire or others arrive?

It only transpired some months after Jose left Chelsea the first time that he had fallen out with Roman Abramovich and hadn't spoken to him for 9 months before his departure. His departure came as a bit of a shock.

The Independent is reporting that Woodward still wants Bale so hold fire.

Kostur

海尔的老板
With the World Cup this summer, the window closing earlier than usual and the fact that there are still glaring holes in the squad, maybe just maybe, he could have waited a few weeks before jetting off on his hols?

You can’t blame fans for being fecked off when there are only a couple of weeks left before the window closes.
Yeah but if he stayed at Carrington things would've gone smoother and we'd have signed 10 players by now.

Can I blame fans for having mentality of a dim 12 year old then?

Garethw

Poor Jose. Only able to sign 2 centre backs, 2 midfielders , 2 centre forwards, 2 attacking players and 1 full back in 2 years.
How could anyone compete with that lack off support??
I’m sick to death of the man. I watched a few of his interviews from the tour this morning and dear God, you’d think he was the boss of Maidstone United rather than Manchester United.

Zoo

How do you know he jetted off on his hols?

Garethw

Yeah but if he stayed at Carrington things would've gone smoother and we'd have signed 10 players by now.

Can I blame fans for having mentality of a dim 12 year old then?
Of course it doesn’t mean that. But not sitting on a beach somewhere two weeks before the transfer window would at least give the fans hope that the club are actively looking to improve the squad.

If he is away then it means either two things. 1) our targets are wrapped up and ready to announce.
2) we are finished in the transfer market and the board expect Jose to make do with what he has.

roseguy64

Where's the proof that Woodward is on holiday? The last time he was seen on video he was in America with the squad on the tour.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Of course it doesn’t mean that. But not sitting on a beach somewhere two weeks before the transfer window would at least give the fans hope that the club are actively looking to improve the squad.

If he is away then it means either two things. 1) our targets are wrapped up and ready to announce.
2) we are finished in the transfer market and the board expect Jose to make do with what he has.
Or it means that we still have to await for some other moves to happen before we can move onto our targets; or it means that we're still in progress of convincing the players to join us; or it means that we're still awaiting some players to come back from their WC breaks before we can sign them; or it means that Woodward is still actively pursuing the targets even if they are on the holidays; or it means we're in the process of negotiating, i.e. the clubs who hold the players' cards are still waiting for us to either raise the offer and, at the same time, we're awaiting for them to drop the price; or it means we're waiting to offload 2-3 more players from our side before we move onto the targets.

I mean Christ, it's only two options if you're an idiot. The last thing the club should worry about is the fans who seem to have a patience span of a primary school child.

Kearnkoff69

Being outspent by City once again, even after they romp the league. Woodward needs to go.
Being outspent has nothing to do with it. We could spend 70M on Willian and meet Spurs' 75M valuation of Toby and we'd probably push past City's spending totals this summer, but would people here be happy with that amount of money being spent that way? Mahrez was on the market for 60M, but Jose evidently didn't want him.

I don't think Woodward is free of blame in the post-Fergie years, but by and large it seems as though he's gotten the deals done that Jose wanted. The ones that haven't gotten over the line are either impossible tasks (Bale) or an attempt to avoid getting fleeced by clubs (Perisic last year).

Just because clubs are paying silly prices for above average talents these days doesn't mean we should do the same. We're in the midst of a serious transfer market bubble, and it won't last forever. When that bubble bursts, many clubs are going to suffer and fall for their financial mismanagement during these years. I appreciate the fact that our club is still trying to find value in the market and not entirely going all in on the spending craze (Pogba and Lukaku aside, although those two look reasonable by comparison to the Mbappe and Neymar transfers).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He didn’t say “pretty close” and we don’t buy players in EUROs. Find someone else to troll with your inaccuracies.
It's not a troll. Transfermarkt is a fairly valid website. Sorry that I don't know what currency United used to buy players.

Last edited:

ash_86

Found Castle's podcast about this impasse b/w Jose and board on Mu reddit. Shamelessly posting summary from it

https://www.acast.com/thetransferwi...loppisunderpressureandarechelseaasellingclub-

Tldr for those impatient to listen in:

1. Mourinho wanted five signings - Fullbacks, RW, CB and CM. He identified signings quite some time back.

2. Mourinho has given up on a new LB now, even though he does not want to go with just Young and Shaw . Targets are a CB and RW.

3. Mourinho wants an experienced RW in either Willian or Perisic. Board are not willing to chase either because of age and price tag. (Chelsea apparently rejected 60m bids for Willian) Alternatives are Sarr and some French U-21 kid. Malcom was apparently one of those identified as a RW target several months back, but board dithered.

4. Mourinho feels the board are not desperate to win the title and are happy with a top 4 spot. That's why he is so grumpy. He does not understand why Woodward has done nothing after signing Fred. He is also grumpy about injuries and not having his squad with him.

5. The ESPN interview was aimed as a challenge at Pogba and to his entourage. Mourinho feels Pogba is too distracted by his commercial entourage. Pogba did integrate better and had settled his differences at the end of the season, but Raiola is desperately trying to offer Pogba to other big clubs and the fat cnut is not on good terms with Mourinho.

6. Martial wants to leave and has made up his mind. He has concrete offers from both Bayern and Chelsea.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Found Castle's podcast about this impasse b/w Jose and board on Mu reddit. Shamelessly posting summary from it

https://www.acast.com/thetransferwi...loppisunderpressureandarechelseaasellingclub-

Tldr for those impatient to listen in:

1. Mourinho wanted five signings - Fullbacks, RW, CB and CM. He identified signings quite some time back.

2. Mourinho has given up on a new LB now, even though he does not want to go with just Young and Shaw . Targets are a CB and RW.

3. Mourinho wants an experienced RW in either Willian or Perisic. Board are not willing to chase either because of age and price tag. (Chelsea apparently rejected 60m bids for Willian) Alternatives are Sarr and some French U-21 kid. Malcom was apparently one of those identified as a RW target several months back, but board dithered.

4. Mourinho feels the board are not desperate to win the title and are happy with a top 4 spot. That's why he is so grumpy. He does not understand why Woodward has done nothing after signing Fred. He is also grumpy about injuries and not having his squad with him.

5. The ESPN interview was aimed as a challenge at Pogba and to his entourage. Mourinho feels Pogba is too distracted by his commercial entourage. Pogba did integrate better and had settled his differences at the end of the season, but Raiola is desperately trying to offer Pogba to other big clubs and the fat cnut is not on good terms with Mourinho.

6. Martial wants to leave and has made up his mind. He has concrete offers from both Bayern and Chelsea.
Depressing stuff.