Board vs Jose

ash_86

Depressing stuff.
Seriously. WTF is wrong with our board? Why would they try to hamper the manager from making the signings he'd like to get done? It's not like we don't have the money

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Seriously. WTF is wrong with our board? Why would they try to hamper the manager from making the signings he'd like to get done? It's not like we don't have the money
Profits.

They could consider top 4 to be fine.

We sound like Arsenal fans at the moment.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Meh, Castles' is basically Jose's bitch whenever he wants to publicly moan about something to get his way, I wouldn't really read too much in it.

I find the idea that the board are stifling transfers because they're happy with top four to be a load of tosh too given the money they've spent in the last five years.

ash_86

Profits.

They could consider top 4 to be fine.

We sound like Arsenal fans at the moment.
True. Sounds pathetic.

Meh, Castles' is basically Jose's bitch whenever he wants to publicly moan about something to get his way, I wouldn't really read too much in it.

I find the idea that the board are stifling transfers because they're happy with top four to be a load of tosh too given the money they've spent in the last five years.
One thing is clear. Jose wanted more signings and it did not happen. He could be held responsible for only the money he's spent and not the once he replaced. The axe should fall on Ed for bringing in managers who's spent cash on absolute dross players.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
True. And our board sounds like arsenal board. Be in top 4 and that is fine.
I guess that depends on whether or not you believe what Duncan Castles has said though.

I'm not 100% sure I do.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Maybe Mourinho mostly picks out idiotic short term signings like Willian?

Massive Spanner

One thing is clear. Jose wanted more signings and it did not happen. He could be held responsible for only the money he's spent and not the once he replaced. The axe should fall on Ed for bringing in managers who's spent cash on absolute dross players.
So the board should just agree to every signing the manager wants, in your opinion?

Tell me, how has that worked out for us in the last five years?

The last part is pure nonsense. On one hand you're saying the board should let him sign who he wants and then you're saying it's Ed's fault when those signings fail. How exactly does that work? Maybe Ed is a bit fecking fed up of manager's making terrible purchases when he lets them go for whomever they want, Mourinho included.

Turkleton

I would like a director of football to take over long term planning of transfers. Ed is good at bringing in money but is a but all over the place with transfers.

I can't see how Mourinho can complain though. He has been backed heavily since joining but his transfers have not been great. Spending megabucks on 30 year olds is not sustainable. Fergie knew this when Abramovich turned up. Developing youth is the way to go when you are financially beaten.

ash_86

So the board should just agree to every signing the manager wants, in your opinion?

Tell me, how has that worked out for us in the last five years?

The last part is pure nonsense. On one hand you're saying the board should let him sign who he wants and then you're saying it's Ed's fault when those signings fail. How exactly does that work? Maybe Ed is a bit fecking fed up of manager's making terrible purchases when he lets them go for whomever they want, Mourinho included.
Either trust the manager or fire him. There is nothing stopping the board from firing Jose if they think he's not getting the Job done. They have given him a contract extension and hence they believe he is the right one for the job. If that's the case, then you need to back the manager with signings the manager wants. Last 5 years is not Jose's problem, present is. He has proved he could finish top given the signings. I don't know what else board could want from him before trusting him. Hampering him from signing the ones he wants is not enabling to do his job better.

I'm not blaming the board for backing previous managers with what they want. I'm blaming Ed for the choice of his managers. Someone should take the blame for the previous 5 years.

Maybe Mourinho mostly picks out idiotic short term signings like Willian?
Either board agree with the manager or get someone they'd like. Jose works in certain ways that makes him successful. They cannot commit him witha contract and not follow up with the signings.

Last edited:

Greck

Found Castle's podcast about this impasse b/w Jose and board on Mu reddit. Shamelessly posting summary from it

https://www.acast.com/thetransferwi...loppisunderpressureandarechelseaasellingclub-

Tldr for those impatient to listen in:

1. Mourinho wanted five signings - Fullbacks, RW, CB and CM. He identified signings quite some time back.

2. Mourinho has given up on a new LB now, even though he does not want to go with just Young and Shaw . Targets are a CB and RW.

3. Mourinho wants an experienced RW in either Willian or Perisic. Board are not willing to chase either because of age and price tag. (Chelsea apparently rejected 60m bids for Willian) Alternatives are Sarr and some French U-21 kid. Malcom was apparently one of those identified as a RW target several months back, but board dithered.

4. Mourinho feels the board are not desperate to win the title and are happy with a top 4 spot. That's why he is so grumpy. He does not understand why Woodward has done nothing after signing Fred. He is also grumpy about injuries and not having his squad with him.

5. The ESPN interview was aimed as a challenge at Pogba and to his entourage. Mourinho feels Pogba is too distracted by his commercial entourage. Pogba did integrate better and had settled his differences at the end of the season, but Raiola is desperately trying to offer Pogba to other big clubs and the fat cnut is not on good terms with Mourinho.

6. Martial wants to leave and has made up his mind. He has concrete offers from both Bayern and Chelsea.
Sounds like N.Korea level propaganda

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Seems to be the club desperately wanting to off load players before they invest any more funds on new acquisitions. When you consider the handsome wages United pay even the most average players this will take some doing. Clearly Jose wants new players so it's certainly not him but that doesn't make it any less bleak.

I don't think the answers to all our problems are going to be found in new signings, but i think we will genuinely struggle to challenge for the title without significant strengthening in both full back positions and a RW.

Massive Spanner

Either trust the manager or fire him. There is nothing stopping the board from firing Jose if they think he's not getting the Job done. They have given him a contract extension and hence they believe he is the right one for the job. If that's the case, then you need to back the manager with signings the manager wants. Last 5 years is not Jose's problem, present is. He has proved he could finish top given the signings. I don't know what else board could want from him before trusting him. Hampering him from signing the ones he wants is not enabling to do his job better.

Either board agree with the manager or get someone they'd like. Jose works in certain ways that makes him successful. They cannot commit him witha contract and not follow up with the signings.
City have backed out of deals for Sanchez and Mahrez (last window), does that mean they don't trust their manager?

Not automatically going and signing the player's the manager wants irrespective of age and price isn't akin to the board no longer trusting him. This is where you seem confused. They may simply be fed up of pissing money away and looking to take a more sensible approach when it comes to transfers. It may be annoying because it means us muppets and Jose don't automatically get the shiny new toys every summer but if it means we stop signing total crocks like Mkhi, Scheniderlinn, Di Maria, Schweinstiger etc. then I'm all fecking for it.

By the way, our current squad is massive, maybe the board simply feel it needs to be trimmed first, which is understandable.

PepsiCola

I don't really blame the board if we're looking to sell Martial and replace him with one of Perisic or Willian.

settembrini

Castles writing a piece defending Mourinho and blaming others. I'm shocked.

And lol at the idea that we've just randomly 'given up' on a new left back, after he has spent literally months insisting we have agreed terms with Sandro.

ash_86

City have backed out of deals for Sanchez and Mahrez (last window), does that mean they don't trust their manager?

Not automatically going and signing the player's the manager wants irrespective of age and price isn't akin to the board no longer trusting him. This is where you seem confused. They may simply be fed up of pissing money away and looking to take a more sensible approach when it comes to transfers. It may be annoying because it means us muppets and Jose don't automatically get the shiny new toys every summer but if it means we stop signing total crocks like Mkhi, Scheniderlinn, Di Maria, Schweinstiger etc. then I'm all fecking for it.

By the way, our current squad is massive, maybe the board simply feel it needs to be trimmed first, which is understandable.
City have outspeant us with just their defense signings so there is nothing to complain for Pep. Remember when he was allowed to end contract for like 5-6 defenders and allowed to get new ones in? That's the trust we're talking about. Sanchez and Mahrez were for backups anyway. Jose could never let go of 5-6 players in our team. We are talking about starters in our team that needs to be upgraded like RW LB and RB and if board doesn't feel the same then nothing more could be done by either the manager or us fans. Most of our recent signings have been great unlike depay or Scheniderlinn et all.

ash_86

Castles writing a piece defending Mourinho and blaming others. I'm shocked.

And lol at the idea that we've just randomly 'given up' on a new left back, after he has spent literally months insisting we have agreed terms with Sandro.
So according to article Jose wants a LB. Duncan says we're interested in Sandro. Why haven't we landed Sandro yet? Shouldn't be hard as he wasn't par of WC squad too right?

C'est Moi Cantona

I clearly remember Jose saying more stability was needed after he'd got his first couple of transfer windows done, talked about 2-3 in, 2-3 out, which has to be a better approach.

The fact we could have conceivably signed 5-6 players this window, most as starters, really doesn't reflect well, and it's hard to take his side.

Camilo

It's all such a nonsense.

We have an excellent squad of talented players. Perhaps we're a couple short, but at this point I'd agree with the board - we should be playing better with the players we have. The best keeper in the world, a host of very good CBs (world class? Perhaps not, but a strong bunch nonetheless), experienced fullbacks with young understudies (I'd like a world class pairing as much as the next person, but can we really not be better as we are?!), Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Fred, Fellaini... An unplayable (on his day, which is more and more often) striker. Sanchez. Exciting attackers in Martial, Rashford (sure, we're short a right sided attacker - fine, and I doubt the board would seriously resist such a signing), Mata, and Lingard..

I think we'll make another signing or two, but if Jose is seriously expecting CBs, fullbacks, backup strikers and wide attacker(s) in one window he's bonkers. At some point you just have to perform, and if the only way he can do that is to replace potentially good things we already have going for us, then I'm with the board. If indeed there's any friction between them at all.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
With Fred, Dalot and fees on the Sanchez deal I expect we have spent close to £100m already from this year's budget. I would think we're unlikely to spend more than the £150m we've spent in recent years.

Surely Jose would be told his budget. The board will also rightly question what are we going to do with all the other CBs for example if we buy one, same for LBs.

Bobski

Utd have spent a lot in the last few years, to little effect, both on transfers and wages, add in this summers deals and it must be close to £700 million since Fergie, and there was a 2 year period of that when they were outspending everyone in Europe, outside of PSG. Do people really expect them to spend £2-300 million+ every Summer? Only the Oil clubs can even consider that.

Mourinho whining about his board not backing him is hardly a new thing. He was even doing it back in his Chelsea days with Ambramovich throwing money around, nothing is ever enough for him.

Fluctuation0161

Not necessarily, because we had struggled to even make top 4 when they spent that money. People forget how far we fell!

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Looks like the people who predicted there would be a toxic situation with Jose were right. So frustrating.

Massive Spanner

City have outspeant us with just their defense signings so there is nothing to complain for Pep. Remember when he was allowed to end contract for like 5-6 defenders and allowed to get new ones in? That's the trust we're talking about. Sanchez and Mahrez were for backups anyway. Jose could never let go of 5-6 players in our team. We are talking about starters in our team that needs to be upgraded like RW LB and RB and if board doesn't feel the same then nothing more could be done by either the manager or us fans. Most of our recent signings have been great unlike depay or Scheniderlinn et all.
Remember when Mourinho was allowed to break the world record on Pogba? And then break the EPL record on Lukaku? And then sign Sanchez as the highest paid player in the league (which even City wouldn't do)? And buy two CB's even though we already had three? And renew Fellaini's contract? And possibly another CB this summer?

You really think if Jose identified an obtainable full back or right winger that the board would block him off?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't really blame the board if we're looking to sell Martial and replace him with one of Perisic or Willian.
It's a weird one. I always believe if the board doesn't fully trust the manager, doesn't trust his judgement then it means there are more then significant doubts and having that situation is never good. So they should back him fully or get a different system for transfers and have just a head coach instead of a manager.

On the other hand, backing Mourinho fully here would be buying Perisic for 50-60m probably, selling Martial and still not winning the title. We signed Sanchez and literally nothing changed in our performance levels from the first half to the second half of the season. Arguably got worse. Mourinho likes his experienced players but if he's not going to win the title regardless, then it's very pointless and ends up being a waste of money with more money needing to be spent later to replace those older players in a couple of years when Mou will most likely be gone.

Varun

Staff
Their contracts were coming to an end and Pep chose to let them go by not renewing it while getting replacements in thus keeping the squad size and the wages within measure. On the other hand, we hand out contract extensions to the likes of Rojo, Fellaini etc while at the same time saying they arent good enough and wanting new players in those positions. Its also easier to gain the trust when you make good use of the resources at your disposal. That's a sign on someone that can be trusted to spend money.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Well, you can't really compare the two.

City achieved a record PL points tally last season, were the first PL side ever to attain 100 points, virtually every signing Guardiola has made has worked out, and the performances of the players under him have quite significantly improved. Above all else, the quality and style of football they produced was fantastic, possibly the best ever in the English league. So it would be mental if the board didn't trust him.

Whereas United began last season extremely well, and got worse and worse the longer it went on. Their league form declined massively, they went out of the CL meekly having been gifted one of the best draws they could have asked for, and then never threatened to win the FA Cup final. Several of Mourinho's signings struggled, some of United's biggest name players massively underperformed. And even those who defend Mourinho would have to concede that the quality and style of football produced by United for most of last season was uninspiring. So it would be considerably more understandable if the board were not as convinced by him as they were.

However, as someone else has said, the main reason the board wouldn't want to make big signings is that the people who own the club have absolutely no interest or cultural association with football, and are obviously motivated by profit.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Maybe they believe that signing Perisic at his age and for that sum of money isn't worth it when it's unlikely he would change much from last season. It's not like he's some world class player. He's a good player, but he would not turn us into title challengers, just like Alexis Sanchez changed literally nothing compared to what Martial was doing on the left. If anything we played worse, but are paying way more in wages and have upset some promising young players to the point where 1 wants out and we'll see for the 2nd one. Certainly getting Perisic in for 60m or whatever it would take would cause Rashford to consider his place too, we'd be stuck with two wingers who will turn 30 this year on large wages and the big fee, and would more then likely not improve at all in our position compared to last year. If anything, I doubt we'll even be 2nd, even if we would sign Perisic. So yeah. The board should obviously back the manager, but maybe they feel he's at a point where he has to deliver on what he's already spent, and get the players he already has to perform instead of looking for another left winger.

If Mourinho signs Perisic, causes both Martial and Rashford to leave, his tenure after 3 years would be remembered for replacing 2 of the most promising u21 players in the world at the time of his arrival with two 30 year olds on massive wages and failing to win the big trophies. Then, the next manager would have to replace Sanchez and Perisic right away instead of just having Rashford and Martial there like originally we had.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Found Castle's podcast about this impasse b/w Jose and board on Mu reddit. Shamelessly posting summary from it

https://www.acast.com/thetransferwi...loppisunderpressureandarechelseaasellingclub-

Tldr for those impatient to listen in:

1. Mourinho wanted five signings - Fullbacks, RW, CB and CM. He identified signings quite some time back.

2. Mourinho has given up on a new LB now, even though he does not want to go with just Young and Shaw . Targets are a CB and RW.

3. Mourinho wants an experienced RW in either Willian or Perisic. Board are not willing to chase either because of age and price tag. (Chelsea apparently rejected 60m bids for Willian) Alternatives are Sarr and some French U-21 kid. Malcom was apparently one of those identified as a RW target several months back, but board dithered.

4. Mourinho feels the board are not desperate to win the title and are happy with a top 4 spot. That's why he is so grumpy. He does not understand why Woodward has done nothing after signing Fred. He is also grumpy about injuries and not having his squad with him.

5. The ESPN interview was aimed as a challenge at Pogba and to his entourage. Mourinho feels Pogba is too distracted by his commercial entourage. Pogba did integrate better and had settled his differences at the end of the season, but Raiola is desperately trying to offer Pogba to other big clubs and the fat cnut is not on good terms with Mourinho.

6. Martial wants to leave and has made up his mind. He has concrete offers from both Bayern and Chelsea.
Bloody hell. The club has become a constant negativity magnet cluster feck.

amolbhatia50k

Jose's targets are another problem. The board are rightfully not enthusiastic about throwing loads of cash at ageing players like Perisic and Willian. Heck, even the transfer Muppets can't get it up for those two. Then the article claims we "dithered" on Malcom. What concrete action can we take in their regard if the manager really wants an experience RW? The whole thing seems messy front all involved if that article is true.

goin4glory

Being outspent has nothing to do with it. We could spend 70M on Willian and meet Spurs' 75M valuation of Toby and we'd probably push past City's spending totals this summer, but would people here be happy with that amount of money being spent that way? Mahrez was on the market for 60M, but Jose evidently didn't want him.

I don't think Woodward is free of blame in the post-Fergie years, but by and large it seems as though he's gotten the deals done that Jose wanted. The ones that haven't gotten over the line are either impossible tasks (Bale) or an attempt to avoid getting fleeced by clubs (Perisic last year).

Just because clubs are paying silly prices for above average talents these days doesn't mean we should do the same. We're in the midst of a serious transfer market bubble, and it won't last forever. When that bubble bursts, many clubs are going to suffer and fall for their financial mismanagement during these years. I appreciate the fact that our club is still trying to find value in the market and not entirely going all in on the spending craze (Pogba and Lukaku aside, although those two look reasonable by comparison to the Mbappe and Neymar transfers).

Being out spent has everything to do with it. Pep inherited a far better core of players than Mourinho, if you disagree with that then please tell me who in the United squad was at the level of Aguero/Silva/KDB/Sterling/Kompany? Even with a stronger core he's outspent Mourinho so it's hardly a surprise to see the current state of things.

If Spurs are looking for 75m for Toby then as I said in another thread I'd be perfectly happy for us to sign Maguire given his age/ceiling, it's a much better use of 50+m. So I have sympathy for Woodward not wanting to throw money at players like that and agree with you on Perisic. What I can't stand is people then shitting all over the deal for Maguire or even Boateng, you just can't win with the fans who have an agenda vs Mourinho.

ash_86

Remember when Mourinho was allowed to break the world record on Pogba? And then break the EPL record on Lukaku? And then sign Sanchez as the highest paid player in the league (which even City wouldn't do)? And buy two CB's even though we already had three? And renew Fellaini's contract? And possibly another CB this summer?

You really think if Jose identified an obtainable full back or right winger that the board would block him off?
Did it all happen in same season though?
It was widely suggested that we had a agreement with Sandro, why is not here yet? Maybe board blocked it is a possibility or Jose changed his mind about not needed one? I doubt it.

Their contracts were coming to an end and Pep chose to let them go by not renewing it while getting replacements in thus keeping the squad size and the wages within measure. On the other hand, we hand out contract extensions to the likes of Rojo, Fellaini etc while at the same time saying they arent good enough and wanting new players in those positions. Its also easier to gain the trust when you make good use of the resources at your disposal. That's a sign on someone that can be trusted to spend money.
I don't know if handing out new contract for Rojo was boards idea or Jose's. Board may have wanted to recoup some money off him and hence extended his contract. Fellaini was extended mostly because we cannot afford to bring someone in this window since we alredy bough fred. Also we didn't budge when he was refusing to sign. We put it on the table and waited for him to sign. Just like we are doing with Martial. Regarding making use of the resources, i think we are where we are because they have been put to good use. Can they be even better? Yes. Still we're doing pretty well comparing to the previous years of turmoil.

Massive Spanner

Did it all happen in same season though?
It was widely suggested that we had a agreement with Sandro, why is not here yet? Maybe board blocked it is a possibility or Jose changed his mind about not needed one? I doubt it.
"Widely suggested" as in rumored by the press but nobody actually has a clue. But keep fishing. There is nothing to suggest our board block feasible transfers when the past five years have shown the complete opposite of that.

So what if it didn't happen in the same season? it's all examples of the board doing what Mourinho wanted, it doesn't fit your narrative that our board don't support him as a manager given all of these examples.

I don't even know why people compare us to City, you included. We can't compete with a Sheikh state in terms of transfers and budget, we just can't. We can't do what they can. oh, and it helps that pretty much all of Pep's purchases for them have been excellent, doesn't it? Maybe if Mourinho had such a success rate we wouldn't be struggling so much in the first place.

Roboc7

Jose's targets are another problem. The board are rightfully not enthusiastic about throwing loads of cash at ageing players like Perisic and Willian. Heck, even the transfer Muppets can't get it up for those two. Then the article claims we "dithered" on Malcom. What concrete action can we take in their regard if the manager really wants an experience RW? The whole thing seems messy front all involved if that article is true.
Yes the whole thing is a mess and both Jose and the board are to blame. Barcelona bid for Willian, when price was too high they moved on and bought Malcom.

The club seems unwilling or unable to act decisively and realistically in the transfer market. Don’t seem to have moved on properly from that first transfer window under Moyes and Woodward and this one could end in a similar fashion with desperate late moves for players.

The club lacks a proper plan and coherent vision on and off the pitch and are oblivious to the problem or unable to resolve it.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Maybe they believe that signing Perisic at his age and for that sum of money isn't worth it when it's unlikely he would change much from last season. It's not like he's some world class player. He's a good player, but he would not turn us into title challengers, just like Alexis Sanchez changed literally nothing compared to what Martial was doing on the left. If anything we played worse, but are paying way more in wages and have upset some promising young players to the point where 1 wants out and we'll see for the 2nd one. Certainly getting Perisic in for 60m or whatever it would take would cause Rashford to consider his place too, we'd be stuck with two wingers who will turn 30 this year on large wages and the big fee, and would more then likely not improve at all in our position compared to last year. If anything, I doubt we'll even be 2nd, even if we would sign Perisic. So yeah. The board should obviously back the manager, but maybe they feel he's at a point where he has to deliver on what he's already spent, and get the players he already has to perform instead of looking for another left winger.

If Mourinho signs Perisic, causes both Martial and Rashford to leave, his tenure after 3 years would be remembered for replacing 2 of the most promising u21 players in the world at the time of his arrival with two 30 year olds on massive wages and failing to win the big trophies. Then, the next manager would have to replace Sanchez and Perisic right away instead of just having Rashford and Martial there like originally we had.
Spot on. 30 y.o. Willian for 60m wouldn't be any better either.

ash_86

"Widely suggested" as in rumored by the press but nobody actually has a clue. But keep fishing. There is nothing to suggest our board block feasible transfers when the past five years have shown the complete opposite of that.

So what if it didn't happen in the same season? it's all examples of the board doing what Mourinho wanted, it doesn't fit your narrative that our board don't support him as a manager given all of these examples.

I don't even know why people compare us to City, you included. We can't compete with a Sheikh state in terms of transfers and budget, we just can't. We can't do what they can. oh, and it helps that pretty much all of Pep's purchases for them have been excellent, doesn't it? Maybe if Mourinho had such a success rate we wouldn't be struggling so much in the first place.
Media gets some right and some wrong. Fred was rumored for long before we signed him. They are not clueless all the time though. I don't believe Jose had come up with zero options for LB in the transfer list he gave to Ed. Do you? Why arnt anyone here with 15 days to go is my question.

What, we're struggling now? If thats the case what about the 18 teams that finished behind us? Majority of Jose's signings have been successful.

amolbhatia50k

Media gets some right and some wrong. Fred was rumored for long before we signed him. They are not clueless all the time though. I don't believe Jose had come up with zero options for LB in the transfer list he gave to Ed. Do you? Why arnt anyone here with 15 days to go is my question.

What, we're struggling now? If thats the case what about the 18 teams that finished behind us? Majority of Jose's signings have been successful.
They have?

Massive Spanner

Ehh have they? I'd say it's pretty damn hit and miss.

You're really clutching at straws. There's been nothing to suggest the board are hindering Jose in the transfer market. And just because they don't feel certain players are worth the fees the club's ate demanding for them doesn't change that. It would be beyond stupid to just pay whatever fee a player costs just because the manager wants them. No club does that, not even City. In fact funnily enough we've been the club who seems to do it the most in the last few years. Personally I'm glad we are finally showing a bit of sense.