Boehly is going to ruin Chelsea (hopefully)

cyberman

14 games left, 8 against teams ahead of them.
They could genuinely be in relegation 6 pointer territory soon. When will they wake up?

meamth

Now I'm seriously questioning whether the players they signed are scouted through and through. Disastrous, you can't keep losing points like this after spending that much money!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If Clearlake default do we end up owned by US banks?

With how badly things gone so far, probably the end game.

alquemyst

Now I'm seriously questioning whether the players they signed are scouted through and through. Disastrous, you can't keep losing points like this after spending that much money!
Actually, you can easily lose points after spending money. We did it with Ole, they're doing it with Potter.

I mean, props to him for what he did at Brighton, but blimey, this Chelsea side look worse than Ole's United or Jose's last year in charge.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

600m later, their best player is the one they signed on loan.

Boehly is Ed Woodward on steroids
Actually our best signing was on the bench and Potter instead played Reece James out of position. Cheers Graham.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Not that I'm bothered but I just don't get why Potter is still stealing a living at Chelsea. Abramovich would have kicked his sorry ass to the kerb weeks ago.

ForeverRed1

Not that I'm bothered but I just don't get why Potter is still stealing a living at Chelsea. Abramovich would have kicked his sorry ass to the kerb weeks ago.
Because it makes boehly look incompetent. If potter some how turns it around, he looks justified. Sacking tuchel was a bad bad move. Boehly should have given him whatever he wanted to keep him at the club.

Abraxas

Not sure how it's Boehly's fault. The only thing he can be criticised for is hanging onto an inept manager, I think. But that's explained by the fact he probably wants to show some patience.

He has given his manager an embarassment of riches and is backing him (probably too much, in fact) and the manager is not producing. There's a squad there. A serious manager gets a lot out of these, I'm absolutely convinced of that.

Not sure why there is so much onus placed on owners these days in respect to sporting results. I don't think Todd is at the tactics board playing 3-4-3's with false 9s and false wingbacks. I don't think Todd is the one lacking credibility with the players and giving shambolic interviews. He has come in, given the manager every opportunity, and yet apparently he's the bad guy. You would think the performance of ETH would demonstate this concept that managers chiefly manage and owners sign cheques, we've still got the same shit owners, the same faces that have been at the club years in strategic boardroom positions and look at the outcomes.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
History has proven time and again that you can’t just dump a bunch of new players into a squad and expect them to hit the ground running. Especially under a new coach

mu4c_20le

He has given his manager an embarassment of riches and is backing him (probably too much, in fact) and the manager is not producing. There's a squad there. A serious manager gets a lot of these, I'm absolutely convinced of that.
Curious to see how many of them were Potter signings

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I assume all Chelsea fans are up in arms about Mount?

To non Chelsea fans he gets loads of stick due to being Southgate's love child but guy has still had some very good seasons since breaking through in 2019 and of course CL winner and homegrown.

To not even put him on v us at 2-0 down is a bit of a finger to the crowd from Potter and the board. Guess selling him meets the FFP requirements better than say Pulisic but his contract situation sums up how in flux Chelsea are. You'll sell him to Liverpool or whoever and then sack Potter a week later.

Melvin Udall

Not sure how it's Boehly's fault. The only thing he can be criticised for is hanging onto an inept manager, I think. But that's explained by the fact he probably wants to show some patience.

He has given his manager an embarassment of riches and is backing him (probably too much, in fact) and the manager is not producing. There's a squad there. A serious manager gets a lot out of these, I'm absolutely convinced of that.

Not sure why there is so much onus placed on owners these days in respect to sporting results. I don't think Todd is at the tactics board playing 3-4-3's with false 9s and false wingbacks. I don't think Todd is the one lacking credibility with the players and giving shambolic interviews. He has come in, given the manager every opportunity, and yet apparently he's the bad guy. You would think the performance of ETH would demonstate this concept that managers chiefly manage and owners sign cheques, we've still got the same shit owners, the same faces that have been at the club years in strategic boardroom positions and look at the outcomes.
This is why Boehly deserves blame. He let Tuchel spend a lot when he was on a short leash and they had no DoF, then hired Potter without a DoF, and spent a ton on players that haven’t performed so far. He clearly rushed into this, and thought that he was smart enough to build on his own when he wasn’t. Now, they’re at a point where they don’t have a lot more money to spend, but still have a lot of issues. I don’t see how they fix things within the next couple years unless they get an excellent manager in very soon.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I assume all Chelsea fans are up in arms about Mount?

To non Chelsea fans he gets loads of stick due to being Southgate's love child but guy has still had some very good seasons since breaking through in 2019 and of course CL winner and homegrown.

To not even put him on v us at 2-0 down is a bit of a finger to the crowd from Potter and the board. Guess selling him meets the FFP requirements better than say Pulisic but his contract situation sums up how in flux Chelsea are. You'll sell him to Liverpool or whoever and then sack Potter a week later.
He's been just as cack as everyone else this season so not really.

Abraxas

Curious to see how many of them were Potter signings
It's a nice, comfortable defence for Potter but the bottom line is if he manages the resources he has correctly, there is a lot of potential to be FAR better than a midtable side.

Even if he bought them all himself he would have to show an aptitude to mould a team at this level of club, to adapt his tactics when they don't work, to motivate top players, to talk well to the media (to gain credibility with the players and fans). Those things don't change even if he's simply employed as a coach with no input on a transfer process.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
History has proven time and again that you can’t just dump a bunch of new players into a squad and expect them to hit the ground running. Especially under a new coach
Potter simply dosen't have the mentality to manage Chelsea. I think that's been pretty clear with all the interviews he's given in last few months. It's very much like Moyes coming in at Man. United and giving the "we aspire to be Man. City talk."

Some managers are very good technical trainers but just don't have the extra psyche to manage a top level club and I think Potter's one of those especially when Chelsea have had all of Mourinho, Conte and Tuchel in last decade who certainly did.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's been just as cack as everyone else this season so not really.
I'm thinking more long term though. I mean he can regain form again and hit double figures and some assists in more stable environment compared to say Loftus Cheek who'll still be talked about as a prospect when he's 28-29.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'm thinking more long term though. I mean he can regain form again and hit double figures and some assists in more stable environment compared to say Loftus Cheek who'll still be talked about as a prospect when he's 28-29.
There's so many things going wrong this season that Mount's minutes is barely top 10 of most Chelsea fans grumbles.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There's so many things going wrong this season that Mount's minutes is barely top 10 of most Chelsea fans grumbles.
Really? I find that incredible. Putting him on at 0-1 at half time would've got a big cheer from the crowd anyway.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Because it makes boehly look incompetent. If potter some how turns it around, he looks justified. Sacking tuchel was a bad bad move. Boehly should have given him whatever he wanted to keep him at the club.
Surely he can't be putting his ego before the status of the club? It's hilarious that they're also stuck with all those players for another 7 years or so. Surely even someone like Nagelsmann has to be better than this fraud.

ForeverRed1

Surely he can't be putting his ego before the status of the club? It's hilarious that they're also stuck with all those players for another 7 years or so. Surely even someone like Nagelsmann has to be better than this fraud.
question is who in their right mind would want to go there..

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Boehly hired Potter and Green lighted the signings who have been woeful apart from Enzo.

Irrational.

They’ll end up sacking Potter for a fortune and pinching Nagelsmann from under Tottenham’s noses. Would be a classic Boehly move. :lol:

cotumely

Supports
Chelsea
Has Potter’s plan been from the beginning to get sacked with a massive payoff? I can’t believe that anyone unintentionally could be this inept in Premier League management.

Chief123

Pretty much this. Boehly would look like a clown sacking the manager after sacking the manager in the same season.

Tbh, you could always see it was going to be an incredible challenge for Potter navigating the rest of the season without any proven striker. Every forward they have in the squad is not a prolific goal scorer.

Suedesi

Who sacked their world class manager to replace him with the mid table manager in charge now?

Abraxas

Who sacked their world class manager to replace him with the mid table manager in charge now?
Tuchel dug his own grave from what I've read. Which he has previous for. You can't just let managers do what they want, they are an employee. An important one but still an employee. I don't think everything has come out on that but it's pretty clear he wasn't sacked for the hell of it, there would be reasons for it as Boehly is showing he has more patience than most.

mu4c_20le

Tuchel dug his own grave from what I've read. Which he has previous for. You can't just let managers do what they want, they are an employee. An important one but still an employee. I don't think everything has come out on that but it's pretty clear he wasn't sacked for the hell of it, there would be reasons for it as Boehly is showing he has more patience than most.
You were probably reading Chelsea propaganda.

But nothing will change the fact that this will go down as one fo the most astonishing decisions in football.

Suedesi

You've read wrong - easy to buy cheap PR after the fact. Tuchel had to endure all the chaos following Roman and sanctions, while being in a divorce process and still remained loyal. He utterly improved the squad, won a CL and an FA Cup, and got Chelsea to every final he was eligible for while in charge (except last year's CL). He was a brilliant tactician and will probably show it again with Bayern for everyone who's in doubt.

Potter hasn't won a thing in his life.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Agreed, he should have considered the 443 proposed by Boehly instead of mocking it.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Agreed, he should have considered the 443 proposed by Boehly instead of mocking it.
He would have been invincible.
To be fair, Tuchel is a difficult personality. He was like that in Dortmund and Mainz, too.
But sacking him for Potter will never stop being funny. The guy is completely clueless, while Tuchel is one of the best tacticians in the whole world.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He would have been invincible.
To be fair, Tuchel is a difficult personality. He was like that in Dortmund and Mainz, too.
But sacking him for Potter will never stop being funny. The guy is completely clueless, while Tuchel is one of the best tacticians in the whole world.
He is a difficult personality but I don't think that he is that unreasonable. Outside of his inability to target strikers that he actually likes and are good, Tuchel is a good coach, he is willing to change things up and his focus is totally on the pitch, he doesn't do football politics. He can have meltdowns due to refereeing or the club not providing something that is quite obviously needed but even then he just moans while doing his job which is more than many managers who are not as characterial but can't do their job when things aren't perfect. I get why club executives wants him out at some point but in my opinion they are always part of the problem.

Disclaimer: I like Tuchel.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He is a difficult personality but I don't think that he is that unreasonable. Outside of his inability to target strikers that he actually likes and are good, Tuchel is a good coach, he is willing to change things up and his focus is totally on the pitch, he doesn't do football politics. He can have meltdowns due to refereeing or the club not providing something that is quite obviously needed but even then he just moans while doing his job which is more than many managers who are not as characterial but can't do their job when things aren't perfect. I get why club executives wants him out at some point but in my opinion they are always part of the problem.

Disclaimer: I like Tuchel.
I think it’s a tad more complicated than this. At least regarding his tenure at Dortmund. The way he handled the attack on their bus is problematic in my opinion and goes beyond what you mentioned. From what I’ve heard from a few Dortmund fans I respect, what he said to the press and what he did internally were very different stories. And the way he seems to have treated their players after that attack was not ok in my opinion.
Other than that, I’m with you. I have an incredibly high opinion of his tactical work and the way he improves his players. I’m happy we got him. I also believe he won’t last very long.