Boehly is going to ruin Chelsea (hopefully)

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
No idea why people think we've got good players. They've almost all come from mid table clubs or leagues that are a lower standard. I don't think Poch is the problem at all, squad is too young and some seem to have a poor attitude as well. We're not any better than are current league position.

Pretty much only Gusto and Palmer look worth near what was paid for them. Spent all that money and the squad has gone massively backwards since the end of 21/22 season.
Where do you expect your players to come from?

It's quite rare for clubs at the proverbial "top table" to buy players from each other.

They very often come from "mid table clubs or leagues that are a lower standard". It's why the best clubs invest so heavily in their scouting departments.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's obviously not true but it's a serious indictment of Boehly that some believe it's true. :lol:
This is like that 'Boehly took advice from James Cordon' thing that people wanted to have a laugh about.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Where do you expect your players to come from?

It's quite rare for clubs at the proverbial "top table" to buy players from each other.

They very often come from "mid table clubs or leagues that are a lower standard". It's why the best clubs invest so heavily in their scouting departments.
The difference is our players pretty much without exception have never showed themselves to be any better than they are now, there's no reason to think they'll be world beaters. Just a bunch of kids with potential. They might develop but it's not looking too likely so far bar a couple of players...

Quite often players come from lesser teams in the CL, or similar where they've at least stood out, or dominated a lesser league at least. Salah from Basel for example (he was class when he played against us), Hazard from Lille, or Kante from a title winning Leicester team. Even Bakayoko was in the CL team of the year when we signed him (yes lol). If you go back through our transfers all the way to Drogba, Essien, through Meireles, Fabregas and many others. There was legitimate hope these would be world class players or they'd already showed they were class at the top level.

Just to take a couple of the most expensive examples from Clearlakes business, Enzo had 17 games in the Portuguese league before joining us. Sure he got carried to a world cup title by Messi and the refs in Qatar. Then we spend €121m on him (plus addons I think?).

Caicedo had 45 PL games for Brighton, with zero appearances in Europe or any significant international football either. We then spent €116m (Plus addons?)...

Can pretty much go through the squad like that. Overpaying for potential that may never be realised.

The two players who have worked out, Palmer and Gusto both came in for reasonably sane fees. Palmer showed some glimpses at City and had scored a few goals at PL level, £45m is expensive but given his age and City pedigree has been decent value. Gusto was much less at €35m, again paying for potential largely but it's not €100m+ like the examples above.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The difference is our players pretty much without exception have never showed themselves to be any better than they are now, there's no reason to think they'll be world beaters. Just a bunch of kids with potential. They might develop but it's not looking too likely so far bar a couple of players...

Quite often players come from lesser teams in the CL, or similar where they've at least stood out, or dominated a lesser league at least. Salah from Basel for example (he was class when he played against us), Hazard from Lille, or Kante from a title winning Leicester team. Even Bakayoko was in the CL team of the year when we signed him (yes lol). If you go back through our transfers all the way to Drogba, Essien, through Meireles, Fabregas and many others. There was legitimate hope these would be world class players or they'd already showed they were class at the top level.

Just to take a couple of the most expensive examples from Clearlakes business, Enzo had 17 games in the Portuguese league before joining us. Sure he got carried to a world cup title by Messi and the refs in Qatar. Then we spend €121m on him (plus addons I think?).

Caicedo had 45 PL games for Brighton, with zero appearances in Europe or any significant international football either. We then spent €116m (Plus addons?)...

Can pretty much go through the squad like that. Overpaying for potential that may never be realised.

The two players who have worked out, Palmer and Gusto both came in for reasonably sane fees. Palmer showed some glimpses at City and had scored a few goals at PL level, £45m is expensive but given his age and City pedigree has been decent value. Gusto was much less at €35m, again paying for potential largely but it's not €100m+ like the examples above.
Buying the wrong players from mid-table clubs/clubs in lesser leagues and paying too much for them is a very different argument to the one you initially put forward though.

Bucephalus74

Supports
Arsenal
If this happens I won't blame Chelsea fans for changing club
While surely this must be fake news, it might not be the worst idea ever. Steve Kerr embraces ball movement, modern statistics, and has vast experience coaching big egos making insane amounts of money. With appropriate assistants, he might do better than some other recent Chelsea appointments.

MegadrivePerson

MegadrivePerson

Another season without European football and clearly lots of work to do on the field. They must be heading towards a massive points deduction soon?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
We've both been punished for FFP shit. You're guilty too my old pal.
You're talking about that time where we were fined 300k€ for breaches linked to loss of revenue because of Covid, and you were fined 10m€ because of "incomplete financial information" between 2012 and 2019?

RoyH1

Chelsea’s parent company announces massive losses for previous financial year | The Independent

Chelsea’s parent company BlueCo 22 announced net losses of 653 million pounds ($832.71 million) after tax for the March 2022 to June 2023 period, while the Premier League club suffered 90.1 million pounds in losses before tax, company filings showed.

The loss for Chelsea in the 12-month period was lower than the 121.4 million pounds for the previous year.
Was to be expected. I think they need to bring in someone who has relevant experience from European top level football management to run the club instead of their failed disruption experiment.

Zen86

Was to be expected. I think they need to bring in someone who has relevant experience from European top level football management to run the club instead of their failed disruption experiment.
It’s all part of the business plan. They absolutely 100% know exactly what they’re doing.

FujiVice

I just read somewhere that we havent lost to Chelsea in the league in 7 years. For a team that tortured us for 2 decades, that's astonishing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wonder what an 8 year contract does to the hunger of a player.

InfiniteBoredom

Tortured us for two decades? When did that happen? Way before my time maybe.
Yeah that was a weird use of word. They were a bit of a bogey team for us at the Bridge for maybe a decade (before it turned by 2011 or so), but matches against them while tight for the most part were never a ‘torture’ for Utd, even when we lost 0-3 to them at home in Moyes season it was whatever

The Irish Connection

Switched off at 1 nil and red card as thought it would be easy for them, just saw the result, wow. Against a 10 man Burnley at home for 50 minutes!
I’m glad Chelsea exist to soften the blow of our season.

BorisManUtd

Yeah that was a weird use of word. They were a bit of a bogey team for us at the Bridge for maybe a decade (before it turned by 2011 or so), but matches against them while tight for the most part were never a ‘torture’ for Utd, even when we lost 0-3 to them at home in Moyes season it was whatever
We never lost 3-0 at home to Chelsea under Moyes. It was 0-0, then a 3-1 loss at Bridge (Eto'o scored a hat-trick I think, Vidić got a red card).

And Chelsea were bit of a bogey team for us in post Fergie era, there were bunch of draws at Old Trafford and losses at Bridge.

InfiniteBoredom

We never lost 3-0 at home to Chelsea under Moyes. It was 0-0, then a 3-1 loss at Bridge (Eto'o scored a hat-trick I think, Vidić got a red card).

And Chelsea were bit of a bogey team for us in post Fergie era, there were bunch of draws at Old Trafford and losses at Bridge.
Yeah I just remember we got a draw that season before Eto’o put three past us later on and nobody really cared, got it mixed up.

Point remains, the Bridge was a hard ground for us to go to (even before the takeover iirc), but to say they tortured us for 2 decades is pretty ludicrous, matches against them were often high stake and some losses hurts (1-2 at home in 2010, FAC final losses) but we had plenty of big victories as well.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yeah I just remember we got a draw that season before Eto’o put three past us later on and nobody really cared, got it mixed up.

Point remains, the Bridge was a hard ground for us to go to (even before the takeover iirc), but to say they tortured us for 2 decades is pretty ludicrous, matches against them were often high stake and some losses hurts (1-2 at home in 2010, FAC final losses) but we had plenty of big victories as well.
Torture was definitely too strong of a word, but even before Abramovich came along they had the best record against us out of all the clubs in the league (in the PL era). Indeed, they are still the only club to have a positive record against us with 18 wins to our 17 (bar maybe some random promoted club who came up and got a good result against us before immediately getting relegated back down).