Boeing in trouble again

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
https://romanaustin.com/blog/is-flying-safer-than-driving/

0.23 in a million for airplanes and 1.34 for cars. So, almost 6 times safer than the car, even not accounting that most car trips are hundreds to thousands of times shorter than airpane flights.
Statistics stafistics.

Vast majority of accidents are under 30mph. The fatalities of dying inside a car at 30mph are 0.09 and got aeroplanes at 400mph it is 4.99I made these up

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I get that you have a fear of flying and it can be difficult to overcome but there's no need to post nonsense. I can't imagine telling yourself it's unsafe is helping at all.
Fear of dying in a metal tube with farts ringing out like a collier band*

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Statistics stafistics.

Vast majority of accidents are under 30mph. The fatalities of dying inside a car at 30mph are 0.09 and got aeroplanes at 400mph it is 4.99I made these up
This is a weird thing to be so insistent about. I’m guessing you’re half serious and half not (made up stats and stuff) but we get it. Let everyone else fly and you take a car Dennis Bergkamp.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

This is a weird thing to be so insistent about. I’m guessing you’re half serious and half not (made up stats and stuff) but we get it. Let everyone else fly and you take a car Dennis Bergkamp.
I'm part serious because the stakes are so much higher, so when it goes wrong, you're definitely dead. So the idea that something is safer because someone crunched some numbers is nothing more than humans trying understand, rationalise and control.

Which is fine.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Don't recall ever smelling a fart on a plane, which seems wild now that I think about it. Are we sure they don't have regulation fart filters installed to remove the stench?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm part serious because the stakes are so much higher, so when it goes wrong, you're definitely dead. So the idea that something is safer because someone crunched some numbers is nothing more than humans trying understand, rationalise and control.

Which is fine.
The highest stakes are death in both cases and those cases are more likely to happen in a car.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

Which is fine.
“When it goes wrong you’re definitely dead” literally coming out with this nonsense following two incidents this year where, when it went wrong, nobody died. Thats why it’s so safe, because it’s so extremely extremely rare anything does wrong, and when it does there’s excellent protocol in place to deal with nearly every potential scenario.

Being on a plane isn’t just the safest mode of transportation in the world, it’s one of the safest places you can be full stop.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Compare a single car crash and a single plane crash and get back to me.
I cant, because if i compare i am most likely dead.

But lets tone it down. It was tongue in cheek and i wasnt looking for an agressive exchange. My bad for my initial sassyness or assholery.

My understanding was that is most likely to die in a car ride than in a flight. Meaning individually 1 to 1. Taking in account that we druve much more, is even more likely that we would die in a car than in a plane. So when someone saya that is afraid to fly but not going in a car, i understand the fear but is after all an irrational fear in comparison because cold statistics says what it says

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Don't recall ever smelling a fart on a plane, which seems wild now that I think about it. Are we sure they don't have regulation fart filters installed to remove the stench?
You're lucky. I used to get terrible wind in my heavy drinking days and annoyed my wife and loads of other passengers with it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
You're lucky. I used to get terrible wind in my heavy drinking days and annoyed my wife and loads of other passengers with it.
Everyone farts more on a plane, it has something to do with the cabin pressure, of course farts aren't created equally, if you wanna piss folks off having baked beans before flying is a good way :D

Darkhorsez

Everyone farts more on a plane, it has something to do with the cabin pressure, of course farts aren't created equally, if you wanna piss folks off having baked beans before flying is a good way :D
I certainly do :lol: I always put it down to the mix bag of food we eat during long flights.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
That's probably why we don't smell just one... We smell all, all of the time... I should've taken the blue pill

Murder on Zidane's Floor

“When it goes wrong you’re definitely dead” literally coming out with this nonsense following two incidents this year where, when it went wrong, nobody died. Thats why it’s so safe, because it’s so extremely extremely rare anything does wrong, and when it does there’s excellent protocol in place to deal with nearly every potential scenario.

Being on a plane isn’t just the safest mode of transportation in the world, it’s one of the safest places you can be full stop.
It didn't wrong then.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I cant, because if i compare i am most likely dead.

But lets tone it down. It was tongue in cheek and i wasnt looking for an agressive exchange. My bad for my initial sassyness or assholery.

My understanding was that is most likely to die in a car ride than in a flight. Meaning individually 1 to 1. Taking in account that we druve much more, is even more likely that we would die in a car than in a plane. So when someone saya that is afraid to fly but not going in a car, i understand the fear but is after all an irrational fear in comparison because cold statistics says what it says
You're a good man

Balljy

This is so bizarre, the door has come off cleanly.
What's even more weird is there isn't even a door there on this revision of the plane. That's probably why there's an issue with that part of the structure though.

The Firestarter

What's even more weird is there isn't even a door there on this revision of the plane. That's probably why there's an issue with that part of the structure though.
There is an emergency exit there , but it was not active in this cabin configuration. So it was paneled up from the inside.

Balljy

There is an emergency exit there , but it was not active in this cabin configuration. So it was paneled up from the inside.
I'd be surprised if that hasn't caused the issue though. The FAA have directed inspections of that area for planes in that configuration now.

Brophs

The One and Only
This is so bizarre, the door has come off cleanly.
It reminds me of when we were in Uni there was a fire in the house two doors down and our neighbour went to kick the door down after getting no answer and with one big kick the door and the entire surrounding frame just fell into the hall in one peace. The door remained locked while lying on the ground in a burning house.

The Firestarter

Not particularly surprising given previous problems. Flew on a 787 this week after specifically selecting flights that weren't using the 737.
Tough moment when there's a last minute equipment change and you realize what plane you are in after boarding.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Not particularly surprising given previous problems. Flew on a 787 this week after specifically selecting flights that weren't using the 737.
The 787 isn't exactly free of problems either!

The Firestarter

Can they do this though? Is there another emergency exit?
There are two forward and two aft exits, which are present in all configutations.When you install more seats than some limit, you need the wing exits too, then you can prepare them. The incident in question was with one of these unused exits.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Can they do this though? Is there another emergency exit?
The number of exits required is based on the number of passengers the plane is configured for, this varies from airline to airline so the exits can vary as well

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
As someone who also has a general fear of flying but still flies when neceesary (otherwise I would always prefer a train to plane), I don't get why people are mocking people who have a fear of flying.

It's a simple perception of fear, yes there are infinitely more car/bus/train crashes compared to planes, but the chances of suriviving a plane crash are miniscule compared to the other modes of transport and that is what's most scary for me.

Hamnat

Pointing out that the fear is irrational, while admitting that the fear clearly exists for some people is not "mocking". Numbers and statistics do not lie. They are factual , provable hard evidence. That does not help someone with an irrational fear of course. But, it doesnt make the facts any less true.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Have they isolated the problems to production or design? The last set of problems were design related. They used less experienced engineers iirc. At least that’s who got the blame.
As an aside; I saw the production line for the 787 in Seattle area and it looked amazing.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Have they isolated the problems to production or design? The last set of problems were design related. They used less experienced engineers iirc. At least that’s who got the blame.
As an aside; I saw the production line for the 787 in Seattle area and it looked amazing.
I’d be surprised if it was a design issue since the design of these emergency doors I imagine is both simple (relative) and consistent across many aircraft versions. Boeing also does have history of loose bolts, which seems the most probable explanation. But a thorough investigation is of course what’s needed rather than my speculation!