Boeing in trouble again

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Understood. Most of the maintenance schedules are mandatory meaning they have to be done at specific times. And the aircrew will have spent ages keeping current in the Sims.
Restarting flight operations isn't going to happen immediately. It will be a very gradual buildup.
Lots of movement in the maintenance sector, a lot of people moved to new/other jobs so I am not sure whether it will be as smooth as you think.
Also, the training in the sims has decreased significantly, so many pilots are just doing the bare minimum.

Lots of movement in the maintenance sector, a lot of people moved to new/other jobs so I am not sure whether it will be as smooth as you think.
Also, the training in the sims has decreased significantly, so many pilots are just doing the bare minimum.
I would agree on that.

Lots of aircraft being brought back out of storage is going to present it's own problems, too. A lot of maintenance teams are already stretched and many will not have done that job before.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Why do so many of you seem so knowledgeable about aeroplane engines? Is the caf full of aeronautical engineers? Or is this a hobby?

Not sure which scenario is weirder.
Says the medical professional! :lol:

(Although there are a lot more medical professional than aeronautical engineers in the world, of course.)

Foxbatt

The 777 in question is a much older version. For the last 15 years you've only been able to buy 777s with GE engines.
Yes the older 200 version is what I said. They have newer versions but it looks like some airlines in Asia use them and have ground them already.

Eugenius

Yes the older 200 version is what I said. They have newer versions but it looks like some airlines in Asia use them and have ground them already.
I think there's only around 125 of Pratt powered ones out there. Would imagine the vast majority of 777s flying today are GE90s.

Maybe my GE stock might start get a little updraft then.
Unfortunately you cant just swap the PW engines out for another type, it would be a huge amount of work and not cost effective on an old airframe. Those 125 aircraft are stuck with PW, if the problems are too big they might all have to be scrapped. Most will be fairly close to it anyway, the non ER 772 is old with limited range and not especially efficient.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Unfortunately you cant just swap the PW engines out for another type, it would be a huge amount of work and not cost effective on an old airframe. Those 125 aircraft are stuck with PW, if the problems are too big they might all have to be scrapped. Most will be fairly close to it anyway, the non ER 772 is old with limited range and not especially efficient.

Thinking more that GE future orders increase over those of PW.

Not that it would do much to help GE. It's been in the doldrums for ages now.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Thinking more that GE future orders increase over those of PW.

Not that it would do much to help GE. It's been in the doldrums for ages now.
P&W generally compete in the middle sized jets, in particular with their Geared Fan engines for the 737Max and A320 NEO.
The big jets are powered mainly by GE and Rolls-Royce with Boeing favouring GE and Airbus RR engines.

The problems facing all 3 major engine suppliers is the massive investment costs to improve fuel efficiency at the same time as revenues taking a nose dive.

MDFC Manager

P&W generally compete in the middle sized jets, in particular with their Geared Fan engines for the 737Max and A320 NEO.
The big jets are powered mainly by GE and Rolls-Royce with Boeing favouring GE and Airbus RR engines.

The problems facing all 3 major engine suppliers is the massive investment costs to improve fuel efficiency at the same time as revenues taking a nose dive.
What engines are the new Chinese aircraft using?

The aircraft world is moving towards exclusive engine suppliers. The A350 and A330neo use RR, the 777X and 737MAX use GE. PW has the A220 - and has had issues there too.

GE mostly. They are developing their own but acknowledge that for now they are better off using tried and tested engines.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Good question.
The Chinese government is investing huge sums of money in gas turbine engine development. Both for the military as well as civil applications.
They want to be independent of Russian engines for their military and Western suppliers for civil.
They have developed a middle sized jet, but that is using the P&W Geared Fan engine.
And as normal, they are not above copying/stealing intellectual property.
But reverse engineering a modern high efficiency engine is not going to work. Much relies on the engine/aircraft optimisation.
But they are working very hard to catch up.

Foxbatt

The aircraft world is moving towards exclusive engine suppliers. The A350 and A330neo use RR, the 777X and 737MAX use GE. PW has the A220 - and has had issues there too.

This is very interesting. Bombardier's biggest problem with the C Series was their engines. I did visit their plant in Quebec where they assembled the C series ( before they sold it to Airbus), and the delay was the issues they had with their engines.

They have had all sorts of problems. Heat dissipation, seals, and exploding compressors. No fan blades.

It was a derivative of the PW4000 that lost a fan blade on the Air France A380 though.

MDFC Manager

GE mostly. They are developing their own but acknowledge that for now they are better off using tried and tested engines.
Good question.
The Chinese government is investing huge sums of money in gas turbine engine development. Both for the military as well as civil applications.
They want to be independent of Russian engines for their military and Western suppliers for civil.
They have developed a middle sized jet, but that is using the P&W Geared Fan engine.
And as normal, they are not above copying/stealing intellectual property.
But reverse engineering a modern high efficiency engine is not going to work. Much relies on the engine/aircraft optimisation.
But they are working very hard to catch up.
Thanks guys.

Foxbatt

The Chinese have another problem too. Type certification with either EASA or FAA. Most countries won't buy aircraft unless they are type certified by either EASA or FAA.
I guess they can sell to the local airlines as they have a huge market too.
The C series especially the 300 was a beautiful aircraft with auto descent if pilot is incapacitated and it's sad that Trump killed it for Canadian aviation. It had the range to compete with the 320 and 737.

Foxbatt

More problems in electrical grounding and `FAA has an advisory on it.

The United

The moral of the story is that don't sit in a window seat just in case!

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Unlike cars. Safest ever. Human risk perception is amusing
Tell me more.

Oh am I more likely to die on the way to the airport than on the plane?

Odd because last time I drove to the airport my average speed was 21mph in my Euro 5* NCAP car with eight airbags and a seat belt.

Human understanding of statistics and hyperbole is funny.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Tell me more.

Oh am I more likely to die on the way to the airport than on the plane?

Odd because last time I drove to the airport my average speed was 21mph in my Euro 5* NCAP car with eight airbags and a seat belt.

Human understanding of statistics and hyperbole is funny.

I can tell you more

https://simpleflying.com/how-safe-i...S academic institution researching this topic.

"According to research by Harvard University, flying in the US, Europe, and Australia is significantly safer than driving a car. Your odds of being in an accident during a flight is one in 1.2 million, and the chance of that being fatal is one in 11 million. Comparatively, your chances of dying in a car crash are over 200,000 times higher, averaging around one in 5,000."

Indeed, Human understanding of statistics is funny and getting triggered by hyperbole is equsllh funny

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I can tell you more

https://simpleflying.com/how-safe-is-flying/#:~:text=Your odds of being in,averaging around one in 5,000.&text=Harvard is far from the only US academic institution researching this topic.

"According to research by Harvard University, flying in the US, Europe, and Australia is significantly safer than driving a car. Your odds of being in an accident during a flight is one in 1.2 million, and the chance of that being fatal is one in 11 million. Comparatively, your chances of dying in a car crash are over 200,000 times higher, averaging around one in 5,000."

Indeed, Human understanding of statistics is funny and getting triggered by hyperbole is equsllh funny
Compare a single car crash and a single plane crash and get back to me.