Booing during national anthems...

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
It's not an anti-racist gesture though, considering the people who came up with it are massive racists themselves. Attacking white people and calling any minority, especially if they are black, coons and all sorts of horrible words.

Here we go...

90 + 5min

I like it. I'd do it and I think it's hilarious.

Disrespect to your opponent is part of the fun of being a football fan.

There are times where football fans should and do show respect (minutes silences for example) but during a played recording of a song? feck that and feck you.

I would be a happy man if the entire Wembley crowd, all the stewards, coaches and England players drowned out the Italian national anthem (absolute banger that it is) with a chorus of boos.

I sometimes even boo God Save the Queen, just because it's so shit.
Why stop there. Why not having another song at the same time. Why not putting Italy team in quarantine and win game?

Serious, would it be okey to sing homofobic or racist songs? Or anti (specific)-religious? Would it be okey fighting? Throwing things over pitch / other fans? Just curious.

There is difference being a fan and being totaly disrespectful.

Judas

Open to offers
Couldn't care less, literally could not care less. Shit on our flag for all I care, boo the queen right in her old face. Grown ups crying and getting all worked up over a sing song is baffling.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'd like to see YMCA as the anthem. Would make for a far greater spectacle, with all the players doing the dance moves while singing. The Birdie Song would also be acceptable.
Imagine Maguire doing that :lol:

MUFC OK

God save the queen is so dire and depressing. Looking forward to hearing the US one at the world cup, I like that one.
Jerusalem is the national anthem for me. Actually alludes to features of the country rather than just a monarch.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

There are times where football fans should and do show respect (minutes silences for example) but during a played recording of a song? feck that and feck you.

I would be a happy man if the entire Wembley crowd, all the stewards, coaches and England players drowned out the Italian national anthem (absolute banger that it is) with a chorus of boos.

Most other cultures don't celebrate being a petty small time cnut.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What lack of empathy for the Danes?

we all sang along to the song about 20 mins before kick off (I say hummed as we didn’t know the words), one of the loudest cheers of the night was when it was revealed Eriksen 10 was on the Danish shirt during the pre-match ceremony.

After the whistle goes, it’s back to football - as everyone would expect, inc the Danish.

So with all due respect, you are spouting shit.
The team at the end pretty much ignored the Danes. Contrast that with what we heard about the Spanish and how they went to the Swiss to console and support them.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why stop there. Why not having another song at the same time. Why not putting Italy team in quarantine and win game?

Serious, would it be okey to sing homofobic or racist songs? Or anti (specific)-religious? Would it be okey fighting? Throwing things over pitch / other fans? Just curious.

There is difference being a fan and being totaly disrespectful.
In my opinion, national anthems are silly and caring about a national anthem is even more silly. I would certainly mock someone who genuinely gave a shit about "God Save the Queen" being disrespected.

There's a line of course and I'm sure that different for everyone. National anthems getting disrespected is nowhere near the line as far as I am concerned. Racism and homophobia so far over the line it seems a bonkers comparison.

There's people who think "you're shit, ahh" at a goalie is wrong. There's people who think booing "You'll never walk alone" is wrong.

The team at the end pretty much ignored the Danes. Contrast that with what we heard about the Spanish and how they went to the Swiss to console and support them.
On my way to the station at that point. Sounds like you are reading far too much into it.

It’s horses for courses. I’m sure there were things you didn’t see on camera.

Hester_manc

I think it is very primitive and lack of respect. It belongs nowhere. One can at least show other countries respect in the few minutes their national anthem is played.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I think it is very primitive and lack of respect. It belongs nowhere. One can at least show other countries respect in the few minutes their national anthem is played.
Well, they can have fun booing and you can make yourself feel better after the fact by exerting your moral authority. Everyone's a winner.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
National anthems are silly and deserve to be drowned out. If you take your national anthem seriously, you deserve to feel insulted.

But for the most part it's just panto and good fun.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think it’s disgusting. i like to show my respect for other nations by mimicking their appearance, mannerisms and accents during their anthem. if i don’t know a lot of the words i just make them up.

in preparation for the italian game i have already stopped showering and paying taxes. i am attempting to grow a moustache and will give their anthem all my beans whilst i’m in an apron that’s covered in flour. at half time i’ll attempt to sleep with the lady from next door. respect.

Judas

Open to offers
National anthems are silly and deserve to be drowned out. If you take your national anthem seriously, you deserve to feel insulted.

But for the most part it's just panto and good fun.
Think this is the point that flies over the head of the angry. Same with the its coming home stuff.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I like the juxtaposition of booing superior anthems, only for our absolute dirge of anthem to kick in, which the players and crowd have sung out of time to the music in every game so far.

Hester_manc

Well, they can have fun booing and you can make yourself feel better after the fact by exerting your moral authority. Everyone's a winner.
How do you know, what makes me feel better? Do we know each other? And not everyone is a winner in this case. There is a very clear loser - sounds like even you can see it.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
When I watch players taking absolute joy in singing their national anthems, most likely because playing for the team is completing a lifelong dream, booing that moment is just poor sportsmanship.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905

Absolute no, if you grew up in a redneck family and have no to little education then I guess it makes perfect sense you could go and boo other countries anthems. If you don't agree with your constitution in your country, well feel free and have a go while your anthem is playing, but it's a national symbol of other countries, their pride and while we ourselves might not always agree with the political situation or hate it, it's those little moments in proffessional sport when we can be proud of our boys or girls competing for the highest honours which count. Luckily the wars have mostly shifted to sports and I am happy to about it but the society evolved (at some places) so show some fecking respect morons.

I mean people are surprised everyone hates England, but it's hard to get behind them with such morons in the stands. Along with some worst media system in the world full of scummest tabloid papers unable to show any respect and objectivity, hell even Lineker making bellend out himself lately. Count in the recent cheating ethics which belongs to the likes of Italy and Spain and yeah hate is in the air. But who would surprised in a country of Brexit and where punching in the face/beating someone is more than alleged "racism".

Shame because football like any sports should be decided on the pitch and not outside and England should be clear favourites to win Euros with two fantastic 11s (bar France).

I am not sure how you came to this thread but leave booing for the game, and have find a bit of respect. Always hated Italy for their cheating ethics but yeah hope they smash England and make them fall on their chin, what they deserve even if England was always my second team to support in national tournaments.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
How do you know, what makes me feel better? Do we know each other? And not everyone is a winner in this case. There is a very clear loser - sounds like even you can see it.
You wrote your post much like my mother would if she attended a restaurant and they failed to provide her with adequate napkins. Moral haughtier over trivia. I find that sort of thing very funny.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Absolute no, if you grew up in a redneck family and have no to little education then I guess it makes perfect sense you could go and boo other countries anthems. If you don't agree with your constitution in your country, well feel free and have a go while your anthem is playing, but it's a national symbol of other countries, their pride and while we ourselves might not always agree with the political situation or hate it, it's those little moments in proffessional sport when we can be proud of our boys or girls competing for the highest honours which count. Luckily the wars have mostly shifted to sports and I am happy to about it but the society evolved (at some places) so show some fecking respect morons.

I mean people are surprised everyone hates England, but it's hard to get behind them with such morons in the stands. Along with some worst media system in the world full of scummest tabloid papers unable to show any respect and objectivity, hell even Lineker making bellend out himself lately. Count in the recent cheating ethics which belongs to the likes of Italy and Spain and yeah hate is in the air. But who would surprised in a country of Brexit and where punching in the face/beating someone is more than alleged "racism".

Shame because football like any sports should be decided on the pitch and not outside and England should be clear favourites to win Euros with two fantastic 11s (bar France).

I am not sure how you came to this thread but leave booing for the game, and have find a bit of respect. Always hated Italy for their cheating ethics but yeah hope they smash England and make them fall on their chin, what they deserve even if England was always my second team to support in national tournaments.
The anthem isn't going to shag you, mate.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I wish England fans would carry on booing everyone's national anthem, including their own, which is by far the worst of the lot as it's not even about the country but instead about those cnut monarchs.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Absolute no, if you grew up in a redneck family and have no to little education then I guess it makes perfect sense you could go and boo other countries anthems.
I was raised to think nationalism is absurd and being proud of "your country" is something cringeworthy and deserving of mockery.

I'm English purely by chance. The idea that I'd be "proud" to be English is as dumb to me as being proud of being a man or proud that I have brown hair.

Also, we're talking about a football match. If you want to talk about respect then 95% of chants have to go.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I wish England fans would carry on booing everyone's national anthem, including their own, which is by far the worst of the lot as it's not even about the country but instead about those cnut monarchs.
Godawful isn't it? One long drone about some supertoff.

Edit: The Danish one seems kinda nice to be honest. Apparently it's quite old and they'd like you to know about their lovely trees and beaches, that their women are noble and that there are also some men.

Last edited:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I was raised to think nationalism is absurd and being proud of "your country" is something cringeworthy and deserving of mockery.

I'm English purely by chance. The idea that I'd be "proud" to be English is as dumb to me as being proud of being a man or proud that I have brown hair.

Also, we're talking about a football match. If you want to talk about respect then 95% of chants have to go.
I'm still going to feel irrationally proud if England win on Sunday though.

Nico87

I dream of the US National anthem being booed
Mayweather Vs Hatton in LasVegas, you couldn’t here the American national anthem due to Hatton’s pissed fans booing and heckling it. The media was expectedly outraged the next day.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Ours is even worse and also about the monarch cnuts.

Jacob22

I want to see them trying to boo South American nations on a tournament that is taking place there and not in the safety of your country and against nations like Denmark.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905

There is a difference between nationalism and patriotism but be it. Loving the country and being proud of it in sports is cringeworthy? then everything else is and nothing matters. I guess you don't feel you belong somewhere being attached to where you were born fair enough, you might have an interesting conversation with my younger brother, I guess studying in Newcastle made him feel that way... but why is respecting of others is too much to ask?

Hate your queen hate the flag but for some it means something and it means a lot to in a tournament like that for some small countries. England will qualify 20 times out of 20, yet didn't win feck all in the last 50 years, I'd be happy for you to achieve that after all. It's like to support one of the lads in the class finally losing virginity, being so chuffed for him, unless he's a total prick then I have no sympathy for him.

And again mate support the team when the game starts, bring some pyro, some nasty chants on, fair enough if you don't burn anyone or go fully racial.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
There is a difference between nationalism and patriotism but be it. Loving the country and being proud of it in sports is cringeworthy? then everything else is and nothing matters. I guess you don't feel you belong somewhere being attached to where you were born fair enough, you might have an interesting conversation with my younger brother, I guess studying in Newcastle made him feel that way... but why is respecting of others is too much to ask?

Hate your queen hate the flag but for some it means something and it means a lot to in a tournament like that for some small countries. England will qualify 20 times out of 20, yet didn't win feck all in the last 50 years, I'd be happy for you to achieve that after all. It's like to support one of the lads in the class finally losing virginity, being so chuffed for him, unless he's a total prick then I have no sympathy for him.

And again mate support the team when the game starts, bring some pyro, some nasty chants on, fair enough if you don't burn anyone or go fully racial.
It's a song, pal.

TheReligion

Abusive
Has always happened. It's not just England fans either.

Not sure why everyone's suddenly up in arms about it now

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just a bit pathetic and sour really isn't it.
But then so much of football fan behaviour is anyway!