Booing during national anthems...

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Taking the knee is not exactly similar to National anthem. Just because one political organization started the trend doesn't mean every person in every country should start doing it.

Booing national anthem is tasteless and disgusting behavior. Especially if that team is playing in your country.

edcunited1878

Would you boo your own anthem in any circumstance?

Winning with humility and losing with pride, but always having a level of respect to the game and your opponent.

Can understand you get caught up in the emotions, but if your first instinct is to boo, you're pretty much telling the other side to feck off because I'm not respecting you so I'll just be loud and abnoxous.

Playing it off as a joke or justifying it just shows the ignorance and lack of self-awareness.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Would you boo your own anthem in any circumstance?

Winning with humility and losing with pride, but always having a level of respect to the game and your opponent.

Can understand you get caught up in the emotions, but if your first instinct is to boo, you're pretty much telling the other side to feck off because I'm not respecting you so I'll just be loud and abnoxous.

Playing it off as a joke or justifying it just shows the ignorance and lack of self-awareness.
When I go to watch a football match I absolutely tell the other side to feck off as loudly and obnoxiously as possible, and fully expect the same back. It's all part of the fun.

Dante

Average bang
Taking the knee is not exactly similar to National anthem. Just because one political organization started the trend doesn't mean every person in every country should start doing it.

Booing national anthem is tasteless and disgusting behavior. Especially if that team is playing in your country.
What about it is tasteless and disgusting?

And every single country is a 'political organization'. That's pretty much the definition of a nation state, including Denmark.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Your mother sounds like a wise lady if she would have written like me. Too bad the apple fell far from the stem. Since you use your mother as an example, I assume you are very, very young, maybe a child. That would explain your sense of humor.
Terrible attempt, but another post indicative of this sense of superiority you like to feel. Try harder.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
This forum:

"Football has gone soft. Barely even a contact sport at this point. Players just diving about all the time."

Also this forum:

"Football fans are disgusting. How DARE you boo over my special song."

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
why is insulting others not okay? It’s just words, shouldnt be any problem. fecking liberal snowflakes who don’t like cnutish loser behavior.

RedDevil@84

why is insulting others not okay? It’s just words, shouldnt be any problem. fecking liberal snowflakes who don’t like cnutish loser behavior.
Next is legalizing racist chants, because they are just words. Hurts nobody.

edcunited1878

When I go to watch a football match I absolutely tell the other side to feck off as loudly and obnoxiously as possible, and fully expect the same back. It's all part of the fun.
Sure, during the match. Most people do. But there are times when you can just stfu for a moment and be part of the calm before the storm.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Sure, during the match. Most people do. But there are times when you can just stfu for a moment and be part of the calm before the storm.
The pre-match is all part of the atmosphere.

Am I feck staying quiet so the scousers can have a good sing song.

Do you people even watch football?

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Next is legalizing racist chants, because they are just words. Hurts nobody.
exactly, people should stop being so offended over some funny banter. It’s just skin!

Are people on here really that dumb to not understand the political dimensions behind booing national anthems or just ignorant idiots who like to behave like an asshole?

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04

clubs are not countries. Shocking, right? Sports have political dimensions on an international basis

edcunited1878

Is that an anthem? It's a song sure, one that's not originally theirs to claim. But booing a country's national anthem before the match in droves, like it's not just a few people, it's disrespectful and trying to pass it as banter.

anthem: a rousing or uplifting song identified with a particular group, body, or cause.

song: a short poem or other set of words set to music or meant to be sung

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Yes.

You:

"Insulting people is just banter. People are too sensitive."

Also you:

"Booing over a nation's mandated special song is a display of hostile international politics."

Get a fecking grip :lol:

Raven

I like booing anthems but I think a line should be drawn when it becomes an attack on a head of state.

When you start booing the Queen's anthem after everything she's done for the commonwealth and during the war I think this shows poor character. However the anthems that just talk about the countries themselves should be booed if you want.
Feck that little dole head with bells on.

Nothing against dole heads, just her and her kind.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Is that an anthem? It's a song sure, one that's not originally theirs to claim. But booing a country's national anthem before the match in droves, like it's not just a few people, it's disrespectful and trying to pass it as banter.

anthem: a rousing or uplifting song identified with a particular group, body, or cause.

song: a short poem or other set of words set to music or meant to be sung
I too, have access to a dictionary.

Edit: Also, your definition of anthem literally describes YAWN as an anthem.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Just a song though, innit?
No, it is the musical expression of the love of one's country, encapsulating at once its pride, vitality and aspiration. It is of vast import and should be treated with absolute reverence.

Also, it's just a song.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Yes.

You:

"Insulting people is just banter. People are too sensitive."

Also you:

"Booing over a nation's mandated special song is a display of hostile international politics."

Get a fecking grip :lol:
I was never serious when talking about insults. It was quite the opposite I meant, actually. Use your brain in this case, anthems aren’t just songs, they’re symbols and part of a countries identity, whether you like it or not. Symbols have meanings and while I might not care so much about what’s important to you, I still don’t need to insult you. Its called empathy and it has been shown to be quite healthy behavior.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I was never serious when talking about insults. It was quite the opposite I meant, actually. Use your brain in this case, anthems aren’t just songs, they’re symbols and part of a countries identity, whether you like it or not. Symbols have meanings and while I might not care so much about what’s important to you, I still don’t need to insult you. Its called empathy and it has been shown to be quite healthy behavior.
The symbols are meaningless, which is your error.

Cry more though, please.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
The symbols are meaningless, which is your error.

Cry more though, please.
why would anyone think symbols are meaningless? It’s because they do have meaning they are called symbols.

Oranges038

It's a fooking song before a football match, it's supposed to be a rivalry. Both sides should boo, whistle and jeer the whole thing.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
why would anyone think symbols are meaningless? It’s because they do have meaning they are called symbols.
Symbols are used to represent or denote something. People attach meaning to symbols.

A national anthem is a song. A flag is a bit of colourful cloth.

Attach whatever meaning you want to them, but any meaning comes from the individual, not the symbol itself.

Also, boooooooooooo.

MU655

It's embarrassing and shows a complete lack of respect. But that's the English way quite often... See also the complete lack of empathy for the Danes at the end of the game from our team last night given all they had gone through in this tournament. We were wrapped up in ourselves to the point where nothing else matters.
What have they been through? It was Eriksen alone who had a heart attack. It was shocking when it happened, but he survived with no repurcussions.

Life goes on. People can't spend their lives mourning someone who is alive and well. That is just weird.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
It's a fooking song before a football match, it's supposed to be a rivalry. Both sides should boo, whistle and jeer the whole thing.
I gotta say I loved the start of the England Scotland match. Couldn't hear either anthem. All in (relatively) good fun.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Symbols are used to represent or denote something. People attach meaning to symbols.

A national anthem is a song. A flag is a bit of colourful cloth.

Attach whatever meaning you want to them, but any meaning comes from the individual, not the symbol itself.

Also, boooooooooooo.
do you know /r/selfawarewolves?