Borussia Dortmund 17/18 | Sky Germany: Lucien Favre to be next manager

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
There's a chance Liverpool will be in the Europa League too.
Not really. They would have to lose at home to Spartak, a team they completely dominated away and easily would have beat if not for missing several sitters.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not sure if it is a widely considered thing, but listening to him in interviews and press conferences and reading about his tendency to micro-manage the team and offending players and staff along the way plus his unwillingness to make compromises make a proper case.
The most annoying thing about him is that he is completely full of himself, which he tries to cover up by fake self-irony.
First time I'm finding out about any of this - makes me want to follow his managerial career.

Have to say 'sociopath' triggered me, as they are fascinating creatures to study.... from afar.
He's obviously a difficult character and a whiny cnut when things don't go his way, but he's also an exceptional coach and I want him to take over at Bayern next season.
Sounds like a polarising figure. If he is a sociopath, are you not concerned he may leave Bayern in chaos should things not work out?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
No, He's just corrected it in the game vs Spurs. Before that Weigl was completely useless due to his shitty tactics.

Guerreiro is not very good defensively but that's not the point. Last year Tuchel played him at CAM and LCM to manipulate his attacking attributes but he just played there for about 10 games pre-injury. After that he had played mainly at LB and LWB. So no, last season he played primarily at LB/LWB.
I haven't seen all that much of him and he impressed me at the Euro's, but is it fair in saying Guerreiro is at a bit of a crossroads in terms of his position? He seems a bit susceptible defensively as you say and in bigger games, that might mean not being comfortable playing him at LB if he's up against a top quality RW and the opposition are going to have significant amounts of the ball.

But does he have the end product from an attacking sense to play further forward on the LW, or the ability to control possession, create through the middle and help keep the team shape playing in CM? It seems like whilst he's a very talented player, he has a bit of a mix of everything and a great left foot but flaws that mean he's not quite settled in one position.

(Thoughts built upon watching him very little at club level so more of a question if anything).

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Oh come on, not even Sun Tzu would've beaten United with that Ajax squad. It's really not a big achievement to beat that squad full of toddlers who fluked their way to the final. Bosz is simply out of his depth. He's a good trainer for a lower class team where the pressure to win is lower.
It wasn't because Ajax were a poor team.

That was just a woefully coached team. They had no reply to our tactics whatsoever. That had nothing to do with their players . We played Feyernoord earlier in the season and they even beat us so you can't even use the Dutch league being weaker excuse either.

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
First time I'm finding out about any of this - makes me want to follow his managerial career.

Have to say 'sociopath' triggered me, as they are fascinating creatures to study.... from afar.
Sounds like a polarising figure. If he is a sociopath, are you not concerned he may leave Bayern in chaos should things not work out?
The only sociopath has been Watzke. Its laughable how he handled the whole situation talking disgusting BS to the press just to make himself looking better. All the nonsense spouted out by Watzke and his entourage blaming Tuchel and in the end Tuchel has the last laugh and Watzke looking like a fool.

..and the Dortmund supporters repeating the same nonsense trying to discredit Tuchel..like sheep believing Watzke's stories and making Tuchel the scapegoat..now he is even a sociopath :lol: pathetic and laughable.

The only 'mistake' he has done is ignoring the Watzke buddies Sahin, Schmelzer & Co., who are obviously the nucleus of Dortmund and whining to Watzke about their treatment. When Tuchel does not want to keep a player anymore, then he can be a prick for sure, but I dont find that negative. The comfort zone of Dortmund is a big reason they are not able to get rid of the deadwood.

Last edited:

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Interesting. Never heard of him being called such before. So is this a widely considered thing amongst German fans - that Tuchel is a sociopath?
Probably lacking a bit in human social conventions, but mostly it was Watzke blowing shit out of proportion to justify firing him, because they did not connect on a personal or professional level. Would he be under strong consideration and probably the leader in the clubhouse for the Bayern Munich job, if it was that bad?

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Of course he's not a traditional sociopath, he's more like Guardiola: Very intense, very calculating, very focused on his vision and a bit of a dick. No wonder they apparently quite like each other.
Wouldn't mind him as Bayern coach either, though it'd go full ballistic if he clashed with Hoeneß and Co., what a media fiesta that would be...

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax

That was just a woefully coached team. They had no reply to our tactics whatsoever. That had nothing to do with their players . We played Feyernoord earlier in the season and they even beat us so you can't even use the Dutch league being weaker excuse either.
At the time I picked up somewhere that the entire Ajax squad cost as much as Zlatan alone. Just to put some perspective. United should have won that game any time on any day given the sheer difference in quality. Tactics be damned. Don't forget some of our best players from that team have moved on. Most notably, Sanches to Spurs.

As for KirkDuyt saying we fluked our way to the final. At least we made it to the final of the EL, whilst Feyenoord is going out with a negative record of having the least points: 0, ever of any team to quit the CL with.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I know we beat you, I was there :) but United having a collective brain fart doesnt mean the Dutch league isnt shite tbh. We lost our direct CL ticket starting next year. We dont count anymore.
Bosz is an all out attack kamikaze coach. United's tactics were helped immensely by that deflected shot from pogba forcing Ajax to walk into mou's trap. Im not saying Bosz is great, but even with Rinus Michels at the helm Ajaxwpuldve lost that match

Akshay

Staff
Bosz is an all out attack kamikaze coach. United's tactics were helped immensely by that deflected shot from pogba forcing Ajax to walk into mou's trap. Im not saying Bosz is great, but even with Rinus Michels at the helm Ajaxwpuldve lost that match
The deflected shot didn't matter, that game could have gone on for 180 minutes and Ajax still wouldn't have scored. They simply had no idea what to do versus an organized defense. Our players on the sidelines started celebrating minutes before the game was over, the result was that inevitable. A better manager would set the team up to play at a faster tempo. I wouldn't say Bosz is an all out attack coach at all, he's more in the vein of prioritize possession above all else.

Nostradamus

Hasn't Bosz sacked yet?
Watzke delaying the inevitable sacking of his glorious acquisition. Everybody saw it weeks ago, while he was still lamenting about the 'sick' reports daring to mention that he could be a failure.

Now everything looks shit. Well done Hans-Joachim.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The deflected shot didn't matter, that game could have gone on for 180 minutes and Ajax still wouldn't have scored. They simply had no idea what to do versus an organized defense. Our players on the sidelines started celebrating minutes before the game was over, the result was that inevitable. A better manager would set the team up to play at a faster tempo. I wouldn't say Bosz is an all out attack coach at all, he's more in the vein of prioritize possession above all else.
They lacked the quality to break down an organized defense. Ziyech was their only really creative player

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The only sociopath has been Watzke. Its laughable how he handled the whole situation talking disgusting BS to the press just to make himself looking better. All the nonsense spouted out by Watzke and his entourage blaming Tuchel and in the end Tuchel has the last laugh and Watzke looking like a fool.

..and the Dortmund supporters repeating the same nonsense trying to discredit Tuchel..like sheep believing Watzke's stories and making Tuchel the scapegoat..now he is even a sociopath :lol: pathetic and laughable.

The only 'mistake' he has done is ignoring the Watzke buddies Sahin, Schmelzer & Co., who are obviously the nucleus of Dortmund and whining to Watzke about their treatment. When Tuchel does not want to keep a player anymore, then he can be a prick for sure, but I dont find that negative. The comfort zone of Dortmund is a big reason they are not able to get rid of the deadwood.
Probably lacking a bit in human social conventions, but mostly it was Watzke blowing shit out of proportion to justify firing him, because they did not connect on a personal or professional level. Would he be under strong consideration and probably the leader in the clubhouse for the Bayern Munich job, if it was that bad?
:lol: OK, seems I'm completely out of my depth regarding all this drama. It does sound like riveting, though! Far better than the vanilla stuff we get in the PL!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
True, but that's also a lack of quality on the pitch to be fair. Their best player last year was Davy Klaassen :)

herbert

Not a fan of Dortmund or Watzke in particular and certainly no doctor who can diagnose sociopathy, but Tuchel actively got himself fired by the way he treated important people at the club, like Mislintat.
Not sure what you mean, when you say he ignored Schmelzer. Schmelzer certainly played whenever he was fit although Gueirrero is twice the player. His treatment of Sahin on the other hand is very questionable. Sahin showed this season that he is still a very capable midfielder. Tuchel however prefered to start Ginter over him. Ginter!
Who is part of the deadwood you are talking about?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Celta Vigo created far more danger than them in the semi-finals. It wasn't a matter of quality, but of tactics.
Celta da Vigo play in a much stronger league, have a higher wage bill and players actually in their prime they should do better.

Akshay

Staff
Celta da Vigo play in a much stronger league, have a higher wage bill and players actually in their prime they should do better.
Ajax topped their group 5 points ahead of Celta Vigo and beat Lyon in the semis. Celta da Vigo were not a better team than them, quality wise.

True, but that's also a lack of quality on the pitch to be fair. Their best player last year was Davy Klaassen :)
Obviously they were at a big disadvantage quality-wise but the tactics just emphasized that gap and made the result more predictable. I don't think Bosz ever considered for a moment adapting his tactics to the opponent and situation, he just doesn't work like that.

Btw, I'm not saying he's a bad coach he just has a lot to learn. I wasn't impressed with his start at Dortmund despite the early wins in the Bundesliga and their current position is a better reflection of where they are as a team under him.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Ajax topped their group 5 points ahead of Celta Vigo and beat Lyon in the semis. Celta da Vigo were not a better team than them, quality wise.

Obviously they were at a big disadvantage quality-wise but the tactics just emphasized that gap and made the result more predictable. I don't think Bosz ever consi
The thing is I think he deserves more credit for doing better than superior sides in Lyon and Celta than criticized for failing to break down an elite squad who are strong defensively in us.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Are any of those guys he wanted leadership material though?

Dortmund don't seem to have many guys who are very vocal on the pitch and that may very well be a problem, but the squad has plenty of experience, apparently enough to win their group ahead of Madrid and the DFB Pokal last year.
I don't know who he wanted exactly. Not sure it's really just all about those few rumoured / signed players. I got the impression from Tuchel's comments that he was truely unhappy with the transfer strategy in general and wanted more experience and leadership. That in itself was spot on.

They had an exceptional coach last season. They have a weaker squad now and a significantly worse coach.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
When aren't we in chaos? That's how we role. A bunch of arrogant pricks at the top making life difficult for the manager no matter who it is. It's almost always chaos when a manager leaves / is fired.

Nostradamus

Not a fan of Dortmund or Watzke in particular and certainly no doctor who can diagnose sociopathy, but Tuchel actively got himself fired by the way he treated important people at the club, like Mislintat.
Not sure what you mean, when you say he ignored Schmelzer. Schmelzer certainly played whenever he was fit although Gueirrero is twice the player. His treatment of Sahin on the other hand is very questionable. Sahin showed this season that he is still a very capable midfielder. Tuchel however prefered to start Ginter over him. Ginter!
Who is part of the deadwood you are talking about?
The story about Mislintat is the biggest joke itself. Please tell me, where else is a scout more important than the headcoach? I dont know what happened between these two, but I would ask the question, why Tuchel refused to talk to him. Maybe the behaviour of Mislintat was the reason and he acted like a prick and know-it-all..I have no idea..nobody here has!

What I know though is, that the last statements of Mislintat show that he obviously can be a big prick himself and he is acting like a true bitch. I mean the situation itself is comical..Tuchel not getting along with Mislintat..they tell Tuchel a solution will be found..the result is Mislintat getting a promotion..Watzke starting his disgusting dirt campagne..Tuchel leaving. And this guy, as a winner out of this pathetic story has nothing better to do then running away not even half season later and then talking about Tuchel as a factor for him leaving? Man, this guy has some nerves and I would not be surprised, if Watzke and him had a talk and agreeing to throw some more dirt. Thats just a guess, but Mislintat is obviously no saint here.

By the way, what was wrong with starting Ginter? I think Tuchel explained it very well, that he wanted to have more height to deal with long balls and crosses and it worked in the end right? Would Sahin have offered that? Who knows, but after winning a final the rat Schmelzer had nothing better to do than shamelessly stating, that nobody would have been a better choice than Sahin :lol: the nerves this puppet has..incredible..he is the prototype of a pussy for me..a wannabe leader deep in Watzke's back door..together with Sahin. I know Schmelzer played for Tuchel, cos Guerreiro was too crucial for him in midfield. As soon as he would have another competent midfielder, Schmelzers time would have been over.

Deadwood are players like Subotic, Park, Rode, Sahin and Durm. Piszczek over the hill, Schürrle a big waste of money, Castro and Schmelzer pure mediocrity. The main reason clearly is the coach though, Bosz must go ASAP.

Last edited:

Blackwidow

dunno if things have changed but the German youth teams are pretty poor in the u19 CL, think City battered Bayern 6-0 a couple of times in the CL league, could well due to their better u19's already playing senior football.
That was the last generation of the U19s. The one now leads their CL group ahead of PSG and has won the away match against them. There is some promising players in it - even if you never know how many make it and how far they will go.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
That was the last generation of the U19s. The one now leads their CL group ahead of PSG and has won the away match against them. There is some promising players in it - even if you never know how many make it and how far they will go.
I think your u19 side is average, certainly not a good generation. Youre in the weakest group overall of any of them. PSG are a poor generation now too because their best players left to find football elsewhere. Anderlecht are average, same as Celtic. I've watched every game, the 6-2 was massively flattering, was quite even and Celtic should have beat you at home. Your side will be found out big time against a good side next round.

izec

They should sack Bosz now, maybe it will give them a kick. They will lose against Schalke anyway, Bosz is completely out of his depth

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I think your u19 side is average, certainly not a good generation. Youre in the weakest group overall of any of them. PSG are a poor generation now too because their best players left to find football elsewhere. Anderlecht are average, same as Celtic. I've watched every game, the 6-2 was massively flattering, was quite even and Celtic should have beat you at home. Your side will be found out big time against a good side next round.
On a similar note to this, did anyone watch Dortmund u19 yesterday? Incredibly they defend worse than the first team. The entire club is devoid of being able to coach defence at any age.

perspective

Supports
Bayern München
On a similar note to this, did anyone watch Dortmund u19 yesterday? Incredibly they defend worse than the first team. The entire club is devoid of being able to coach defence at any age.
yeah, I´ve heard Jadon Sancho played as a defensive midfielder that game. but the whole youth league is overrated anyway. The squad always fluctuates highly. Coaches are questionable. good players already play for the first team. it doesn´t mean much...

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Gotta be the end of the road for Bosz, surely. What a debacle.

Lyricist

The first Tottenham CL game should’ve already brought the first do or die Situation with it. Performances have been unacceptable since, and that game was a must win.

Kostov

I just can't forget the arrogance of some Dortmund fans on here at the start of the season, how we were some shit show for years while they were one of the best clubs in Europe. Things change quickly in football they were total shambles today, I feel sorry for some of their supporters.