Borussia Dortmund 17/18 | Sky Germany: Lucien Favre to be next manager

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I think he should try to get some job outside of managing football teams as he surely has no clue about how to get teams playing to their potential. Tuchel was a sociopath and the BVB board had its reasons to fire him, but at least he was good at managing a team. Bosz is completely overwhelmed by the job at his hand.
With the chief scout leaving the club right now the future of BVB isn't looking too rosy at all at the moment.
Excellent post, promote this guy. Tuchel is/was a sociopath but his last season way massively underrated. He got excellent results on all three stages they were in. Probably simply stepped on the toes of the old guard.

Varun

Staff
I like Dortmund as a club but it's funny to see Bosz feck it up so bad after talking shit about us after the EL final. Clueless cnut.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Gotze and Kagawa really do not fit his 4-3-3 system and starting both means Weigl will have to do all the defensive work in midfield. And what is going on with Dahoud. He has had 3 assists in limited minutes and I think he has looked good when given a chance. But, Bosz does not seem to rate him at all. If he is going to play 4-3-3 a midfield of say Castro-Weigl-Dahoud would possibly give them a good balance but, who knows.

Aza Boy

Most of their players either been too long with the club or has lost motivation to win. Aubameyang wants to leave, Kagawa is the shadow of former himself, Schmelzer is shite as always. And so on.

Not mentioning some posters who overhype Pulisic like he is God answer for the candidate of BdO. Dortmund has no alternative in their scheme. Year by year just the same. Geggenpresing inherited from Klopp but without same type of players or upgrade ones to apply it.

Bundesligue will be shite again. Look at the table, the Mighty Schalke is in the second place. Feck.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Bosz is a woeful manager who was made to look like chump by Jose in the Europa league final.

He wasn't even Dortmund's first choice either.
Oh come on, not even Sun Tzu would've beaten United with that Ajax squad. It's really not a big achievement to beat that squad full of toddlers who fluked their way to the final. Bosz is simply out of his depth. He's a good trainer for a lower class team where the pressure to win is lower.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think he should try to get some job outside of managing football teams as he surely has no clue about how to get teams playing to their potential. Tuchel was a sociopath and the BVB board had its reasons to fire him, but at least he was good at managing a team. Bosz is completely overwhelmed by the job at his hand.
With the chief scout leaving the club right now the future of BVB isn't looking too rosy at all at the moment.
Excellent post, promote this guy. Tuchel is/was a sociopath but his last season way massively underrated. He got excellent results on all three stages they were in. Probably simply stepped on the toes of the old guard.
???

Can either of you elaborate. Not the kind of word that's flippantly used, so what gives?

What has/does he do that suggest he is a sociopath?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
How have they gone from having their best ever start to a Bundesliga season to where they are now?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
???

Can either of you elaborate. Not the kind of word that's flippantly used, so what gives?

What has/does he do that suggest he is a sociopath?
off the top of my head:

-picked a fight with Dortmund's chief scout Mislintat (apparently over signing Oliver Torres) and banned him from the training complex and talking to players
-used press conferences to comment on Dortmund's transfer strategy (too many young players, not enough older ones) and imply differences with the club management regularly
-supposedly wasn't very nice to a lot of staff
-supposedly had his agent leak stuff in the press to influence club politics
-supposedly used the attack on the club's bus to sell himself as something he was not, at the expense at the club and its leadership
-created a twitter account on the day he was fired for the purpose of breaking the news before the club

How have they gone from having their best ever start to a Bundesliga season to where they are now?
At the start of the season teams mostly played passive against them which allowed Dortmund to control the game and execute their style. At some point though (Hamburg/Augsburg) coaches realized that Dortmund have trouble dealing with very aggressive man marking and by the time he found an idea against that (Stuttgart) it was too late.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Has Sven Bender not stepped up then in the DM role. Always talk over here of Arsenal wanting to sign him.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Has Sven Bender not stepped up then in the DM role. Always talk over here of Arsenal wanting to sign him.
He's far too limited to be a midfielder in a dominant team. He was converted to CB under Tuchel (and aside from breaking a couple of bones every other week) was quite okay there. Moved to Leverkusen this summer, because they offered him a secure starting spot and the chance to play with his twin brother.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
off the top of my head:

-picked a fight with Dortmund's chief scout Mislintat (apparently over signing Oliver Torres) and banned him from the training complex and talking to players
-used press conferences to comment on Dortmund's transfer strategy (too many young players, not enough older ones) and imply differences with the club management regularly
-supposedly used the attack on the club's bus to sell himself as something he was not, at the expense at the club and its leadership
-created a twitter account on the day he was fired for the purpose of breaking the news before the club.
Interesting. Never heard of him being called such before. So is this a widely considered thing amongst German fans - that Tuchel is a sociopath?

AlwaysRed66

Funny how arrogant their fans & club were when drawing Spurs in the Champions League, in how they were easily going to qualify, even though it was clear to most Spurs were going to be a challenge. Not only did they fail against them, but couldn't even beat the minnow in the group in two games.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Funny how arrogant their fans & club were when drawing Spurs in the Champions League, in how they were easily going to qualify, even though it was clear to most Spurs were going to be a challenge. Not only did they fail against them, but couldn't even beat the minnow in the group in two games.

But chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke was under no illusions how tough Group H looks with Tottenham Hotspur and APOEL Nicosia also there.

“It is obviously arduous and difficult,” he told Sky Sport.

"No doubt about it. This is the most difficult group," he said. "But we've had that in 2012. We got through a group with Real and Manchester City. Heroes are born in those groups. Sure, we always get Real, and we played Tottenham in Europa League. But we can't pick the teams."

herbert

Interesting. Never heard of him being called such before. So is this a widely considered thing amongst German fans - that Tuchel is a sociopath?
Not sure if it is a widely considered thing, but listening to him in interviews and press conferences and reading about his tendency to micro-manage the team and offending players and staff along the way plus his unwillingness to make compromises make a proper case.
The most annoying thing about him is that he is completely full of himself, which he tries to cover up by fake self-irony.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
That's simply not true.

ThanhlongTDK

Supports
Dortmund
Bosz biggest mistake is forcing Weigl to play a higher role in his shitty 4-3-3. Instead of stay deep and dictating the play, Weigl is forced to play much much higher, partake in high line pressing and making runs because Bosz love his fecking high line that he has to push Weigl forward. He's turning Weigl from one of the most promising (maybe even one of the best) deep-lying playmaker in the world to a shitty, useless CM.

Weigl and Raphael Guerreiro are propably the only 2 WC players of Dortmund. Yet he's destroying Weigl, forcing Guerreiro to play somewhere else because of the Schmelzer - one of the most useless and limited LB that i've ever seen.

This is just what happens when you sell your best players every season. Spurs for the first time in decades have stopped doing that, and now just look at them.

Dortmund need to change their business model.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bosz biggest mistake is forcing Weigl to play a higher role in his shitty 4-3-3. Instead of stay deep and dictating the play, Weigl is forced to play much much higher, partake in high line pressing and making runs because Bosz love his fecking high line that he has to push Weigl forward. He's turning Weigl from one of the most promising (maybe even one of the best) deep-lying playmaker in the world to a shitty, useless CM.

Weigl and Raphael Guerreiro are propably the only 2 WC players of Dortmund. Yet he's destroying Weigl, forcing Guerreiro to play somewhere else because of the Schmelzer - one of the most useless and limited LB that i've ever seen.
He's corrected Weigl's role like two matches ago..
And for whatever reason (defensive contribution?) Guerreiro barely played as LB under Tuchel either.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
off the top of my head:

-created a twitter account on the day he was fired for the purpose of breaking the news before the club
He was spot on with those comments and clearly the club wasn't listening to him in private conversations.
I kinda agreed with his opinion on the attack as well, although he did put Watzke in a difficult spot.
Didn't know he created a twitter account to break the news of him being fired first, but I actually like that. Sadly Ancelotti didn't do that.

He's obviously a difficult character and a whiny cnut when things don't go his way, but he's also an exceptional coach and I want him to take over at Bayern next season.

herbert

This is just what happens when you sell your best players every season. Spurs for the first time in decades have stopped doing that, and now just look at them.

Dortmund need to change their business model.
Easier said then done, if you have players like Dembele and lovely people like Raiola blackmailing the club.
The squad is still very good. Give a guy like Favre a month or two and Dortmund will again be a match for any team.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He was spot on with those comments and clearly the club wasn't listening to him in private conversations.
I kinda agreed with his opinion on the attack as well, although he did put Watzke in a difficult spot.
Didn't know he created a twitter account to break the news of him being fired first, but I actually like that. Sadly Ancelotti didn't do that.

He's obviously a difficult character and a whiny cnut when things don't go his way, but he's also an exceptional coach and I want him to take over at Bayern next season.
Young players Dortmund signed were Dembele and Guerreiro, Mor and Merino.
Old players he wanted were Schürrle*, Toprak and Bellarabi.

I know which I prefer.

*not sure whether or not to count him since Tuchel apparently discarded him half a year after making him the club's record signing.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Young players Dortmund signed were Dembele and Guerreiro, Mor and Merino.
Old players he wanted were Schürrle, Toprak and Bellarabi.

I know which I prefer.
3 of those young players are already gone again and 1 is always injured. Obviously Schürrle was a bad buy, Toprak on a free wasn't that stupid even though he isn't good enough to solve Dortmund's issues in defense.

None of those transfers helped to build a strong team longterm if we ignore the financial side of things. It isn't totally unreasonable to want some experienced quality players. I'm sure Tuchel would have prefered to spend some money on better established players than Schürrle and Toprak, but simply wasn't allowed to.

Outside of the money made with Dembele, Dortmund's signings weren't particularly great overall for quite some time now.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Their youth side was spanked 7-1 over the two legs against Spurs too.
dunno if things have changed but the German youth teams are pretty poor in the u19 CL, think City battered Bayern 6-0 a couple of times in the CL league, could well due to their better u19's already playing senior football.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
3 of those young players are already gone again and 1 is always injured. Obviously Schürrle was a bad buy, Toprak on a free wasn't that stupid even though he isn't good enough to solve Dortmund's issues in defense.

None of those transfers helped to build a strong team longterm if we ignore the financial side of things. It isn't totally unreasonable to want some experienced quality players. I'm sure Tuchel would have prefered to spend some money on better established players than Schürrle and Toprak, but simply wasn't allowed to.

Outside of the money made with Dembele, Dortmund's signings weren't particularly great overall for quite some time now.
Toprak for free? Dortmund got him for €12m (not even that bad a deal imho) and that was only because they waited a year for his release clause. Tuchel wanted them to sign him straight up when Leverkusen's asking price was €25m.
Schürrle was a disastrous buy, especially since Tuchel didn't even seem to have a clear plan for him and quickly cast him aside.
Bellarabi is sitting the bench at Leverkusen now. That's around €80m Tuchel would've liked to spend on bench material.

Dembele was Dortmund's mvp last season, at times carried them in the cup (especially in the final two matches) and was sold for a mind blowing profit.
Guerreiro is one of the most talented players in the squad and despite some injuries played an important role under Tuchel.
Merino barely got any minutes under Tuchel and when they wanted to loan him out last winter Tuchel blocked that because he had a plan for him by which he apparently meant around 150 minutes of play time. After which Merino decided a change of scenery might better for his career.

ThanhlongTDK

Supports
Dortmund
He's corrected Weigl's role like two matches ago..
And for whatever reason (defensive contribution?) Guerreiro barely played as LB under Tuchel either.
No, He's just corrected it in the game vs Spurs. Before that Weigl was completely useless due to his shitty tactics.

Guerreiro is not very good defensively but that's not the point. Last year Tuchel played him at CAM and LCM to manipulate his attacking attributes but he just played there for about 10 games pre-injury. After that he had played mainly at LB and LWB. So no, last season he played primarily at LB/LWB.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
No, He's just corrected it in the game vs Spurs. Before that Weigl was completely useless due to his shitty tactics.

Guerreiro is not very good defensively but that's not the point. Last year Tuchel played him at CAM and LCM to manipulate his attacking attributes but he just played there for about 10 games pre-injury. After that he had played mainly at LB and LWB. So no, last season he played primarily at LB/LWB.
I suggest you look at the heat maps from the Stuttgart match then. And playing LB in a back four and LWB in a back five is a big difference in terms of defensive responsibilities. Last season there were only two matches where Schmelzer was fit but didn't play. That doesn't mean he's particularly great, but to me it says that he was Tuchel's first choice as well.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Forgot that Toprak left through that release clause. Anyway, the overall point is, the team clearly lacks balance between experienced leaders and young talents.

ThanhlongTDK

Supports
Dortmund
I suggest you look at the heat maps from the Stuttgart match then. And playing LB in a back four and LWB in a back five is a big difference in terms of defensive responsibilities. Last season there were only two matches where Schmelzer was fit but didn't play. That doesn't mean he's particularly great, but to me it says that he was Tuchel's first choice as well.
Because there was many matches Schmelzer played at LCB. When Dortmund switched to back four Guerreiro was always the 1st choice at LB.

I didn't watch the match vs Stuttgart. Maybe Bosz did fix Weigl's role but i still consider it too late. Weigl missed a Germany call-up because of this bold basterds and i can't forgive him because of that.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Too many mediocre players are playing for them at the moment. Toprak, Toljan, Burki, Castro, Schmelzer, are all pretty average players really. Then you have the likes of Piszczek, Gotze and Kagawa not being in their best form and Yarmolenko who hasn't done anything of note in the past.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Forgot that Toprak left through that release clause. Anyway, the overall point is, the team clearly lacks balance between experienced leaders and young talents.
Are any of those guys he wanted leadership material though?

Dortmund don't seem to have many guys who are very vocal on the pitch and that may very well be a problem, but the squad has plenty of experience, apparently enough to win their group ahead of Madrid and the DFB Pokal last year.

Classical Mechanic

dunno if things have changed but the German youth teams are pretty poor in the u19 CL, think City battered Bayern 6-0 a couple of times in the CL league, could well due to their better u19's already playing senior football.
Not sure tbh, both Spurs and Dortmund has one U19 player each in their 16 yesterday.