Bouhafsi: Martial wants to leave United

Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Question for you guys. If you as a fan had a choice which one you would get rid of Sanchez or Martial? For me it would be Sanchez every single day of the week
Would rather sell a 29 year old Sanchez any day.

Martial and Rashford had a good thing going on the left flank and the team as a whole was performing better. When Sanchez arrived, it seemed like the logical thing to put him on the right where we had a gaping hole. But no, instead, Jose put him where we were already fine and with it subsequently threw Pogba and Lingard’s form off a cliff too.

crossy1686

career ending
Understandable. he was playing really well, then we signed Sanchez and he was dropped or moved around in positions he wasn't comfortable with. I suppose he's gonna be Mourinho's Lukaku/De Bruyne here.
He was playing well, then we signed Sanchez and played both of them in the same team (Martial LW, Sanchez RW). Then Martial started playing shit, lost his place. Sanchez went over to LW and Mata or Lingard was playing RW. Then one of them got dropped again for Martial who came in to play RW and had already thrown all his toys out of the pram at this point.

For some reason people love to predict the future on here and this 'De Bruyne' example is just nonsense. You have to question his attitude and temperament at this point because he's been incredibly unprofessional for the last 6 months, and even now is continuing to be so. You'd think he was one of the top 3 strikers in Europe the way he's going on.

You've got players like Rooney, Rio, Young, Valencia and even Dalot saying they'd play anywhere on the pitch the manager asked, just to play for United or currently being played out of position just so they can play. Then you've got Martial refusing to play anywhere but LW. Just get rid of the dickhead.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Can't remember a potential sale causing this much friction between you lot.

From someone who does not watch all of your games, I can't see the huge fuss about this guy to be honest (but then I said similar of Salah). Talented player for sure but Jose needs to seriously challenge next season and Martial is probably not the man for that job.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Don't get the Martial love.
Hes inconsistent but the talent is obviously there which he has shown in glimpses.

In a market where Madrid are paying 45 mil for youngsters with less than 10 professional appearances, replacing him will cost us the earth too to replace him.

We should be improving our younger players, not letting them go. And this has been the case with Mourinho with three other attackers. Even then, people chose to lay the blame at the feet of the players and their impatience.

gajender

Question for you guys. If you as a fan had a choice which one you would get rid of Sanchez or Martial? For me it would be Sanchez every single day of the week
I will do you one better Rashford instead his stock is relatively high if you believe in media stories how he should be playing regularly and how great he is we might be able to fleece somebody for £50 to £60 million according to me he would struggle to become regular for team who wants to challenge at the highest level Martial may do that in future this way Mourinho would have his hardworking soldier in Sanchez and we would have better player to take his place in Martial if he stinks again next season.

Ritish

Didn't like this conduct of coming in public with this story by his agent. Nothing less than 100m as per the current market, for a 22 yr old full of potential player. Especially when players like Savic and Perisic are priced at 90 m and 50m respectively.

RoyH1

It's a shame really.

Sell him outside the Prem. Maybe he can cheapen a hypothetical Bale operation?

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
For me there’s 2 aspects:

1.) who’s the more proven/consistent player?
> Alexis

2.) who will command the bigger fee?
> Martial

...easy choice on my end.

crossy1686

career ending
Wish him all the best. Seems like a good lad and a hell of a potential. Football is all about entertainment and I love watching Utd more when Tony is starting
:nono: He's caused more issues this season than any player we've had in a long time.

Most of the games he's started we've dropped points, not saying that's his fault but you're wearing very rose tinted glasses on this one.

Litch

It's a situation that was never going to work out for a number of reasons. For me, A player you need patience and one that needs consistent playing time irrespective of whether he played well or not. A run of games that will build his confidence and a sense that that he's loved. This includes a manager that openingly supports and wants him. This is the polar opposite to here and tbh I understand why cause we need players that have the maturity to play for Utd which isn't just an age thing. Martial hasn't done anything in world football to deserve this treatment either. Martial appears a bit sulky and the type that if he arrives at training and someone's in his parting space, he's pissed for the rest of the week....

It's funny cause Jose other banana skins like Salah were probably in a very similar situation and we all know what's happen there. The problem is there isn't any other option is he's never gonna get the above and there's no point blaming Sanchez cause he wasn't getting it before he came anyway.

I think he'd be perfect for Spurs.....but Levy won't pay the 50m minimum of what's he worth. For once we have Levy by the balls.....

red4ever 79

For me there’s 2 aspects:

1.) who’s the more proven/consistent player?
> Alexis

2.) who will command the bigger fee?
> Martial

...easy choice on my end.
Wonder why you would think Martial would command the bigger fee. Let's say as you point out Alexis is the most consistent player, and he has a great season. Do you not think Aleixs would be worth more?

K2K

From someone who does not watch all of your games, I can't see the huge fuss about this guy to be honest (but then I said similar of Salah). Talented player for sure but Jose needs to seriously challenge next season and Martial is probably not the man for that job.
I cant see us challenging either in the league or in Europe tbh.

With or without Martial.

But all the things that Martial is being accused of (young, impatient, inconsistent) are the exact same things De Bryune, Lukaku and Salah were accused of at one point. Players at that age tend to be, but you work on improving them.

Its hard not to cast a glance to Jesus, Sane and Sterling across the street who are in a similar age group and not be envious. None of our young attackers are doing well. In this inflated market, getting replacements will also cost big time.

Kapardin

I cant see us challenging either in the league or in Europe tbh.

With or without Martial.

But all the things that Martial is being accused of (young, impatient, inconsistent) are the exact same things De Bryune, Lukaku and Salah were accused of at one point. Players at that age tend to be, but you work on improving them.

Its hard not to cast a glance to Jesus, Sane and Sterling across the street who are in a similar age group and not be envious. None of our young attackers are doing well. In this inflated market, getting replacements will also cost big time.
Precisely. It seems Jose has a problem developing young attacking players while he's okay with young defenders. Lukaku is an exception, as he has sufficient experience despite his age. Pogba too doesn't seem too interested.

Martial is easily on Sterling/Sane level, hate to say it, but I doubt Pep or Klopp would give up on him so easily.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

He's one of few players we have who actually looks to pick up thhe ball and create a chance. In fact last season Lukaku was the ONLY other player doing this for large chunks of the season.

I think the fact he has such massive potential too. It could still go either way with him but he's just not been given a real chance or run in the side despite most who've played instead being worse than him.

We tried playing him and Sanchez on opposite sides literally once, and Martial was the one moved to the right. We lost to Newcastle and Jose dropped him for missing a coouple of chances...even though Sanchez played no better and missed an open goal, despite being the one on the preferred side of the pitch.

That's how it works sometimes but from Martial's point of view it's very easy to understand why he thinks he's not getting a fair chance. If he leaves our attack has to be significantly better next season to justify Jose's management of him. At the end of the day his and Rashford's stats suggest they'd both be on 20+ goals if played regularly, which is pretty good for young guys who are being played mostly on the wing rather than as the main striker. Constantly giving the chance to neither in order to play Sanchez/Lingard/Mata who repeatedly offer less, is very hard to justify.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
People saying he would have been in the French squad. That is not a given. Look at the quality of player they have. Also Rashford is in the England squad even though he supposedly should leave and supposedly gets no playing time. So not playing doesn't mean an international manager won't pick you. Tony seems the type who lets things get to him, rather than give your best when your do get an opportunity.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Wonder why you would think Martial would command the bigger fee. Let's say as you point out Alexis is the most consistent player, and he has a great season. Do you not think Aleixs would be worth more?
Due to age/hitting his prime and all I don’t think so. Plus that wasn’t the question anyways, this more so a hypothetical.

We are Manchester United.

We have never been about making money from player sales.
Well now it plays a huge factor because it’s one more big signing we can make to make up ground on City

Kostov

What has he done?

You might be overreacting a bit
He has done nothing of sorts, that was my point. People question his attitude on every corner, while his conduct has been nothing but exemplary.

Even his desire/determination if you question it like most of us were doing at the start of last season, he came out off the blocks firing and after rotating with Rashford for the start of the season, he made the position his own. Then comes Alexis, Martial is shifted to the RW, and gets dropped after every bad game, while Alexis stinks up the place and gets start after start. Yeah definitely, it's all his fault, if you listen to some posters here.

Frank Grimes

Shame, he's got the potential to be a great player. That said, I've never been a fan of his attitude and if I had to choose between the two, I'd rather keep Rashford.
It is good news for Rashers, I actually think Martial has more ability but Rashford shows more fight, doesn't hide in games like Martial frequently did.

K2K

Precisely. It seems Jose has a problem developing young attacking players while he's okay with young defenders. Lukaku is an exception, as he has sufficient experience despite his age. Pogba too doesn't seem too interested.

Martial is easily on Sterling/Sane level, hate to say it, but I doubt Pep or Klopp would give up on him so easily.
Sterling was inconsistent too a few seasons ago, that is what happens with young players. You take the good with the bad.

But Mourinho is the manager and will live and die by his decisions.

For me its not even the just the Martial decision that is problematic. We seem to have so many issues some of which are Jose's doing too.

Do I want him fired? I am indifferent tbh. I dont think they are any good alternatives out there but I definitely dont think Jose is still as good as he once was.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
People saying he would have been in the French squad. That is not a given. Look at the quality of player they have. Also Rashford is in the England squad even though he supposedly should leave and supposedly gets no playing time. So not playing doesn't mean an international manager won't pick you. Tony seems the type who lets things get to him, rather than give your best when your do get an opportunity.
To be fair, getting in the England squad and the French squad at the moment is not a fair comparison.

LARulz

As gutted as I am about this I trust Woodward to do best. And by that I mean if he sells him, he is as pretty as us, he won't sell to another PL club unless we get equal quality back or a huge fee. Woodward also loves PR as it drives money, he may see Martial as key to future money making opportunities, so may (with Mourinho's blessing) attempt to throw more money at him in hope he stays a bit longer/extends to get a better fee at worst.

I trust Mourinho but am disappointed. Martial has been inconsistent but it never felt he really had the trust of the manager despite his good spells and then when Sanchez came it felt less like a motivation boost for Martial to up his game but more a 'thanks but you're not needed'

crossy1686

career ending
That is exactly my point Martial has not done enough to act the way he has acted he may be world class player in making but it's just potential trying to strong arm Club with this public posturing if that's the case is not acceptable for all his talents he can be easily replaced.
Exactly. Plus it's lazy to say he's world class in the making like most on here are.

I'm potentially a world class chef in the making because I make an amazing spaghetti Bolognese, problem is, I can't make that every night even though I want to. So when my wife cooks, instead of learning some new recipes, I just smash shit up in the kitchen until it's my turn to cook again. Because that's the kind of behaviour that's going to get me places in life...

We need to get rid of players who don't want to play for United. We don't need them.

K2K

He has done nothing of sorts, that was my point. People question his attitude on every corner, while his conduct has been nothing but exemplary.

Even his desire/determination if you question it like most of us were doing at the start of last season, he came out off the blocks firing and after rotating with Rashford for the start of the season, he made the position his own. Then comes Alexis, Martial is shifted to the RW, and gets dropped after every bad game, while Alexis stinks up the place and gets start after start. Yeah definitely, it's all his fault, if you listen to some posters here.
I am asking what he has done for you to call him a nutcase.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
:nono: He's caused more issues this season than any player we've had in a long time.

Most of the games he's started we've dropped points, not saying that's his fault but you're wearing very rose tinted glasses on this one.
He started 18 games, we won 10 of them and he scored or assisted 10 times.

Silas

You can't compare the England squad to France's. Who was Rashford competing against for a call up? Sturridge?

Last edited:

flappyjay

The problem is he is being replaced with a 29 year who doesn't look up to the challege too. It's like some people think Sanchez will switch on some kind of button and be back to his normal self. The truth it's a 50/50 situation, he could be done and we could be in another Rooney situation. He also be our RVP next season

TsuWave

Mourinho himself said that Martial needs to give more.
yeah, but i don't blindly trust mourinho or everything he says, i mean, he's the guy that took him off the team when he was in a decent period of form...his record with other players also makes it sketchy for me, although, what he says certainly holds more weight than random posts on here, of course

Your ability to mock the club you pertain to support whilst sticking up for a player unwilling to show his commitment to the club says a lot.
1. I didn't mock United, that would have been me calling us "we have the best transfer announcements FC" or something. I merely stated that we are not the be all end all of football, and that we haven't challenged for the most prized trophies in a while. all facts.

2. its true that many of our supporters are living in this parallel universe where United is still a force sporting wise when that hasn't been the case for years. Def should be worrying about putting a team together that plays decent football, and can challenge for a title and not be an embarrassment in Europe instead of acting like we are still in our glory years. Talented, albeit inconsistent, young players leaving the club doesn't seem like the way forward for me. And despite the frequency of "buy griezmann or bale" posts, it doesn't mean that's easy to do or that it would even work out.

3. Why should a player commit to a club when he gets taken and kept off the team for extended periods when he doesn't perform, but the same doesn't happen to multiple other players in the squad? If he doesn't believe he's being given fair treatment and/or the opportunities, which is an opinion i share, and if he has options, he should explore those options...

This sums you up, go support Martial FC.
Martial FC til the death of me

red thru&thru

If you’re asking about long term? Then yea, Sanchez. Short term? Martial. Why? Sanchez has proven himself. Has had a bit of a shocker so far with us but proven. All we ever seem to speak about when it comes to Martial is, potential. He needs to kick on a bit now.

K2K

Due to age/hitting his prime and all I don’t think so. Plus that wasn’t the question anyways, this more so a hypothetical.

Well now it plays a huge factor because it’s one more big signing we can make to make up ground on City
The simple matter is that his replacement will probably cost more than any fee we can make from him.

17 year old Rodrigo that has little experience just went for 45 mil. Mbappe went for 180 mil after just one season. The prices for attackers has gone through the roof rcently. But because Martial wants to leave and isnt a starter in our team, we simply wont get a premium for him.

So i doubt we will be using that money to make up any gap on City.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Said this a couple of months ago, it's spot on. He's be one of those players that moves on every couple of seasons.
I remember saying it a while ago too, he just gives out the same sulky vibes, hellh bounce around lower teams until the penny drops for him and might get a move to a bigger team when/if that happens.

Quizierda

Thanks Mou, short-term minded *****

Really hope we get rid of this early 200's coach as soon as possible before we lose more players (Pogba, DDG etc.)

Frank Grimes

A lot of his fans are completely deluded about his quality because he's an excellent dribbler. He's a good player but nowhere near as good as he's made out to be on here by many.
I think his dribbling is hit and miss, a lot of the time he runs straight into defenders.
yeah, but i don't blindly trust mourinho or everything he says, i mean, he's the guy that took him off the team when he was in a decent period of form...his record with other players also makes it sketchy for me, although, what he says certainly holds more weight than random posts on here, of course

1. I didn't mock United, that would have been me calling us "we have the best transfer announcements FC" or something. I merely stated that we are not the be all end all of football, and that we haven't challenged for the most prized trophies in a while. all facts.

2. its true that many of our supporters are living in this parallel universe where United is still a force sporting wise when that hasn't been the case for years. Def should be worrying about putting a team together that plays decent football, and can challenge for a title and not be an embarrassment in Europe instead of acting like we are still in our glory years. Talented, albeit inconsistent, young players leaving the club doesn't seem like the way forward for me. And despite the frequency of "buy griezmann or bale" posts, it doesn't mean that's easy to do or that it would even work out.

3. Why should a player commit to a club when he gets taken and kept off the team for extended periods when he doesn't perform, but the same doesn't happen to multiple other players in the squad? If he doesn't believe he's being given fair treatment and/or the opportunities, which is an opinion i share, and if he has options, he should explore those options

Martial FC til the death of me
Sounds like mocking again.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was also on the opposite scale to Martial. ie Martial adored despite his performance level being sketchy whilst Nani got hammered for similar.
Nani was twice the player Martial will ever be, we would cut our balls off for the chance to have someone as good as him on the wing right now.
His treatment towards the end of his time here was nothing short of disgusting.

HOWEVER, Martial IS a good player on his day, his head isnt in it though, and it doesnt look like its ever going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.