Bouhafsi: Martial wants to leave United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Did you just start watching football or are you deliberately being dull just for the sake of it? New managers always prefer the players they sign personally, it reflects badly on them when a player they signed doesn't do well. That's why Lukaku and Sanchez kept on playing despite being crap for large periods of time until they hit some form.
That must be why Lindelof, Mkhitaryan and Bailly are playing every game.

Fer

I always felt Martial played best when he played as a CF or a support striker at United. That's not to say he didnt play well as a left winger, but I think he plays best centrally, closer to goal. As that's not gonna happen at United with Lukaku and Rashford, whether rightly/wrongly, its best to cash in.
Martial could play at his best in a formation like this:
Martial - Lukaku
Sanchez
Pogba - Matic - Fred
Back four with proper fullbacks
DDG
Rashford can rotate with the forwards or even behind the striker. BTW, when Lingard was at his best, it was also playing centrally behind Lukaku.

buckooo1978

lots of revisionism in here

Martial was better than Sanchez for us last season

Sanchez is a player I admire but I think he's the most wasteful player I've seen in a United shirt in a long time

people used to get frustrated by Nani but it argue he used the ball better than Sanchez

now there are mitigating factors such as the fact Sanchez played in our poorest attacking side this year

all our best attacking was done in the early stages of the season when Martial and Rashford were rotating

one player has huge potential and one has a couple of years left at the top (assuming Sanchez improves)

it was clearly a mistake not to start Sanchez on the right in some of the games

Frank Grimes

I am not anti Martial, I actually like him but we really have to get behind the players who want to play for Manchester United now. Even Martial's biggest fans can't deny he played a lot of bad games for United.

ottosec

Understandable. he was playing really well, then we signed Sanchez and he was dropped or moved around in positions he wasn't comfortable with. I suppose he's gonna be Mourinho's Lukaku/De Bruyne here.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I am not a fan of Jose and want him sacked but frankly it's a bit surprising that not many people are criticising the conduct of Martial and his agent here. I can understand his reasons for leaving but going public about it through his agent is actually bullshit.

buckooo1978

the most frustrating thing was/is Martial had a bad game or two and he was out in the cold with some choice remarks from Jose

Sanchez seemed to avoid any of that and was rarely left out in spite of his performance levels

frustrating as Martial could tear it up in a better attacking side

Frank Grimes

lots of revisionism in here

Martial was better than Sanchez for us last season

Sanchez is a player I admire but I think he's the most wasteful player I've seen in a United shirt in a long time

people used to get frustrated by Nani but it argue he used the ball better than Sanchez

now there are mitigating factors such as the fact Sanchez played in our poorest attacking side this year

all our best attacking was done in the early stages of the season when Martial and Rashford were rotating

one player has huge potential and one has a couple of years left at the top (assuming Sanchez improves)

it was clearly a mistake not to start Sanchez on the right in some of the games
He was also on the opposite scale to Martial. ie Martial adored despite his performance level being sketchy whilst Nani got hammered for similar.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Everyone loves going extremes. Jose fans saying how Martial hasn't proved anything in 3 years when he was our top scorer in his first season and this season when his goals and assists rate so good before Sanchez was signed and then Martial fans who can't see anything wrong with the player or his agent, coming up with conspiracy theories

In this case I blame Jose more than Martial, he was having good season and won his place as LW, and after scoring 3 in 3 he was moved to RW position and then was dropped. Still shouldn't have gone public with rejecting contract and all.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
You are having a laugh if you think Martial is getting the special treatment and not Alexis :lol:
Wait, so you’re saying special treatment is to player X who’s proven himself as a WC player, joined a new club, getting adjusted just 2 months or so in with a bit of growing pains and doesn’t deserve time/benefit of the doubt vs. player Y who’s young and proven himself as inconsistent, been with the club for 3 years, hasn’t grown in that span and does deserve time/benefit of the doubt?

If so, idk what to say :confused:

The_Order

I hope he stays.

That's all I'm going to say - limited play time most likely impacted his standing in the French national team and if I were in his shoes, I would be feeling some type of way towards Mourinho for favouring an inferior ageing player.

TsuWave

Here is Martials predicament.. you will leave, but the only way youre going unless Real, Barca, or Bayern sign you, is down. If youre happy to play and be the star of a small club, the good luck to you. Im sure youll have a solid enough career somewhere but you always be remembered as the guy that couldnt cut it at United.
:rolleyes: United isn't even a top tier club anymore, commercially and popularity wise, yes, sporting wise though? no.

United is not the be all end all in football. The notion that a player that chooses to leave United will always be remembered as the guy that couldn't cut it here is ridiculous and insufferable. Should be worried about trying to put a team together that plays decent football, and can challenge for a title and not be an embarrassment in Europe instead of acting like we are still in our glory years.

There are plenty clubs of similar stature around, and chances are he wouldn't be so adamant in leaving if he didn't think he'll be better off somewhere else, the last guy that i remember doing that, we ended up breaking the world transfer record to bring them back, the kid is young and could easily rediscover his form with regular football, but no, he's supposed to be content with being at United despite the fact that when he's in decent form, one misstep and he's out of the team for extended periods, but the same doesn't apply to multiple other players in the squad...

i wish him well, and hope he becomes a world beater

ROFLUTION

Rooney did it so
It was Fergie who went out in public and told he wanted to leave - he sort of hung him out to dry at that press conference which put a lot of pressure on Rooneys integrity/brand and eventually made him renew.

Maybe the Rooney to City part even was part of how Rooney tried to get a bigger contract and have United sign better players.

Martial's situation is not the same. His agent has left little road behind them to come back to.

roonster09

Scout
Wait, so you’re saying special treatment is to player X who’s proven himself as a WC player, joined a new club, getting adjusted just 2 months or so in with a bit of growing pains and doesn’t deserve time/benefit of the doubt vs. player Y who’s young and proven himself as inconsistent, been with the club for 3 years, hasn’t grown in that span and does deserve time/benefit of the doubt?

If so, idk what to say :confused:
Inconsistent player who was leading goal scorer in his first season and was probably only behind Lukaku in goals and assists this season (at least till Jan before he was dropped).

Don't have problem with Sanchez getting special treatment as he was signed mid season so needs time to adapt but this shitting on Martial and making up things is just ridiculous.

Frank Grimes

I am not a fan of Jose and want him sacked but frankly it's a bit surprising that not many people are criticising the conduct of Martial and his agent here. I can understand his reasons for leaving but going public about it through his agent is actually bullshit.
Was going to post similar. amazing the lack of criticism coming his way for this.

red4ever 79

Wish him all the best. Seems like a good lad and a hell of a potential. Football is all about entertainment and I love watching Utd more when Tony is starting

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I have.

Look I love Martial and hoped he would work out at United but it hasn’t been the case. He’s flatlined, hasn’t had any pressure for his spot for the majority of 3 years here and the moment some competition was brought in to make-or-break his abilities / sink-or-swim time, he doesn’t even attempt to give it a shot and hands in his resignation papers. I’m shocked that people are backing the side of the player with that sort of mentality. Clearly he doesn’t have the internal drive to prove himself at a club like United and shied away instantly.

...again I’m not kidding anyone, I absolutely love the guy but this is the harsh reality of the situation. Martial wanted everything handed to him and didn’t want to work for it / that was evident when Alexis was bought in and his dip in form and self esteem. He just gave up which is sad because I expected him to fight this upcoming season to prove himself right. Guess not, and life goes on.

End of the day we’re going to be losing a squad player, exchange him for starter money, and buy a starter(s) with that money. Don’t see how anyone can look at that in any way other than a win.

ArjenIsM3

Well, if there was any hope left of us getting a decent fee for Martial it's now officially gone. He really fecked the club with this. The lack of respect is amazing. People saying we'll get 70 million for him are deluded. And the cost of his replacement has just gone up too. How can people defend Martial after this?

Frank Grimes

:rolleyes: United isn't even a top tier club anymore, commercially and popularity wise, yes, sporting wise though? no.

United is not the be all end all in football. The notion that a player that chooses to leave United will always be remembered as the guy that couldn't cut it here is ridiculous and insufferable. Should be worried about trying to put a team together that plays decent football, and can challenge for a title and not be an embarrassment in Europe instead of acting like we are still in our glory years.

There are plenty clubs of similar stature around, and chances are he wouldn't be so adamant in leaving if he didn't think he'll be better off somewhere else, the last guy that i remember doing that, we ended up breaking the world transfer record to bring them back, the kid is young and could easily rediscover his form with regular football, but no, he's supposed to be content with being at United despite the fact that when he's in decent form, one misstep and he's out of the team for extended periods, but the same doesn't apply to multiple other players in the squad...

Martial FC is strong with this one. Let's pretend St Anthony didn't let his agent make this public and has refused to sign a contract for months.

edgar allan

I would accept swap deals in some form for any of the following:

Verratti
Marquinhos
Kroos
Varane
Kovacic
Bale
Alex Sandro
Pjanic
Milinkovic-Savic (Napoli couldn't afford him tbf)
Thiago

We'll probably end up doing a part-exchange for Willian though, which wouldn't be too bad either. But would be disappointing seeing Martial turn out for a rival.
A swap deal for Willian would be a straight sackable offence in my book

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Inconsistent player who was leading goal scorer in his first season and was probably only behind Lukaku in goals and assists this season (at least till Jan before he was dropped).

Don't have problem with Sanchez getting special treatment as he was signed mid season so needs time to adapt but this shitting on Martial and making up things is just ridiculous.
I disagree. This is where stats don’t tell the full story and can be cherry picked to favour one side. Martial leading scorer his first year here? Goes to show the lack of quality on United that year more so than anything.

crossy1686

career ending
I am talking about Clubs stance on this Martial I believe given assurance over game time and big fat contract could certainly revise his position but I think Club may not be so forgiving about his public posturing.
I agree but more often than not, players with big potential get preferential treatment. Personally, I think if he's acting this way now, what's he going to be like if he does fulfil his potential and someone like Madrid come knocking? More tantrums? We're better off without him.

I've never known a player who's done so little demand so much. It's a reflection of how far we've fallen if not even world class players are complaining that they don't start for United and then have a tantrum if we sign players who have bigger reputations.

roonster09

Scout
I disagree. This is where stats don’t tell the full story and can be cherry picked to favour one side. Martial leading scorer his first year here? Goes to show the lack of quality on United that year more so than anything.
Oh yeah, so Martial was the leading scorer, shows how stats lie.

Now what, so Jose finished 2nd, shows how poor the league is?

Only deals with extremes.

TsuWave

man moved to United at 19 and became a regular under Louis fecking Van Gaal but redcafe body language experts are telling me his mindset, attitude and work ethic are poor

Martial FC is strong with this one. Let's pretend St Anthony didn't let his agent make this public and has refused to sign a contract for months.
:confused: that has nothing to do with what i replied to? for all the mocking redcafe does of Rawk, the reading comprehension levels here are shocking. Not once did I say he's a saint or entered any exchange regarding his refusal to renew or about how this went public. Nevermind that him not wanting to renew his contract has now just become understandable because he wants to leave. are you drunk?

do you also go to hunger fundraisers and scream "what about homelessness?!" ?

Kostov

Jesus Christ, Martial is put in the same bracket with Balotelli and Ravel Morrison attitude wise. I never knew we had a nutcase like that in our hands, this is something new.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You've just mirsculously spun an unindispuble point to suit your own agenda. If a 20 year old is the top scorer and an excellent peformer in a rubbish team, it also shows you that he did exceptionally well (unless you willfully choose to ignore).

No, but you've mentioned twice that you 'love the guy' so let's ignore that.

edgar allan

I wouldn't worry much about his age. Pismo joined Juventus at 32 and had 4 glorious seasons with them. I can go on and on with examples. If he finds the necessary motivations, Sanchez can still be a top player for United.
For every Pismo there are 5 done Rooneys.
I will add " finding motivations", to "needing a rest" or " a full pre-season" to the long list of hopeful excuses for poor form.

Frank Grimes

man moved to United at 19 and became a regular under Louis fecking Van Gaal but redcafe body language experts are telling me his mindset, attitude and work ethic are poor

:confused: that has nothing to do with what i replied to? for all the mocking redcafe does of Rawk, the reading comprehension levels here are shocking. Not once did I say he's a saint or entered any exchange regarding his refusal to renew or about how this went public. Nevermind that him not wanting to renew his contract has now just become understandable because he wants to leave. are you drunk?

do you also go to hunger fundraisers and scream "what about homelessness?!" ?
Your ability to mock the club you pertain to support whilst sticking up for a player unwilling to show his commitment to the club says a lot.

gajender

I agree but more often than not, players with big potential get preferential treatment. Personally, I think if he's acting this way now, what's he going to be like if he does fulfil his potential and someone like Madrid come knocking? More tantrums? We're better off without him.

I've never known a player who's done so little demand so much. It's a reflection of how far we've fallen if not even world class players are complaining that they don't start for United and then have a tantrum if we sign players who have bigger reputations.
That is exactly my point Martial has not done enough to act the way he has acted he may be world class player in making but it's just potential trying to strong arm Club with this public posturing if that's the case is not acceptable for all his talents he can be easily replaced.

Bratt

Its seems that its always the Ronaldos, the Beckhams and the Martials who want to leave us. You barely ever hear the Philip Nevilles, the John OSheas or the Jesse Lingards threatening to leave......shame.
How can you seriously compare those three? Ronaldo was the best player in the PL by a mile when he left, and had just won the ballon d’or, and Beckham was arguably the best right winger in the world when he left.
Martial is nowhere near that level, and he may never be.
He’s got potential, but right now I would rather compare him to Anderson than to Beckham or Ronaldo.

red4ever 79

Question for you guys. If you as a fan had a choice which one you would get rid of Sanchez or Martial? For me it would be Sanchez every single day of the week

redspoony

Shame, he's got the potential to be a great player. That said, I've never been a fan of his attitude and if I had to choose between the two, I'd rather keep Rashford.

Frank Grimes

This sums you up, go support Martial FC.

NotQuiteManc

Go back to his form before the January transfer window. He had his chances and took them. He was playing very well and then Sanchez came and screwed it all up.
If Martial cant be bothered to work even harder to overcome another hurdle that is supposedly declining Sachez, how would he be able to improve than he already is now? If he wants to be better and improve, let alone be best player at the club, he needs to work even harder and if he can overcome Sanchez, it might show that he will be a better player than Sanchez ever was or is.

red thru&thru

Martial could play at his best in a formation like this:
Martial - Lukaku
Sanchez
Pogba - Matic - Fred
Back four with proper fullbacks
DDG

This formation looks really good. I don’t know how it would work in practice but on paper it looks good. The problem here isn’t Jose, it’s Martial. By all means United want him to stay. I think Jose knows himself he has to reinvent himself and his tactics. Bringing in McKenna and adding Carrick is a big indication of this. Jose knows he’s got half a season to prove himself. Martial should stick around as I think he could become good, if the new season goes the way I think Jose is hoping it to.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
You've just mirsculously spun an unindispuble point to suit your own agenda. If a 20 year old is the top scorer and an excellent peformer in a rubbish team, it also shows you that he did exceptionally well (unless you willfully choose to ignore).

No, but you've mentioned twice that you 'love the guy' so let's ignore that.
11 goals enough to be the leading goal scorer at Manchester fecking United?

Great achievement...

Himannv

I wanted him to make it here and I like the player, but I don't like the fact that the agent has come out and said this while he's still a United player. It makes me feel we are just better off selling him now and getting as much for him as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.