g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Bouhafsi: Martial wants to leave United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

I thought you were referring to Mourinho letting those players leave and bloom elsewhere. Now that I see where you're going with it I don't think Mikel is a good example. He was switched to a different position that he was decent in and played a shitload of games for Chelsea. No way of knowing if he would've done well as an attacking mid. How many young players have settled into new positions when the broke into the senior squad? Scholes was a striker in the youth ranks and some thought he'd break into the team in that position.
He did make his break through as a striker though? 94//95/96 he played upfront and dropped into midfield in 97 when Keane got injured.

Red Royal

Whatever the outcome, this really is a sad day. Think back to the day he debuted against Liverpool and THAT goal. That can be shown on repeat for hours and I would watch with a smile on my face.

Has Martial regressed, yes but he has been in and out of the team and messed around by Jose for too long. Would Fergie have done this to one of his brightest talents. How did he treat a young Giggs, Ronaldo. Even with those who didn’t quite make it, they were rarely publicly critisised.

I have no idea what Jose has up his sleeve. Maybe he has tied up Griezmann or Bale as a replacement, but really as a fan of developing players this will hurt.

extincti fugax hominum

Shame. So many players have no patience these days. He is 22 and has played plenty of minutes this season. The best players always respond to adversity, that is melded with natural ability to shape them into the best. If he goes, hope we get a good deal out of it.
It's not about patience though. He is not 17 or 18. 22 (23 in a couple of months btw) is an age where a player must play week in week out to improve and fulfill his true potential. Martial is already on a very good level as a player and can only get better. And no one can blame him if he wants to leave and get more game time knowing Jose's treatment of him.

One option is to sell him at a cut-price to Juventus or Monaco with a buy-back clause. But if he does become that good, i don’t see why Barcelona/Madrid/Bayern/PSG wouldn’t be in for him also, so no guarantee he will come back, even if he knows how adored he is at Old Trafford.

Second option is to move him somewhere else and get an attacking player in return. I know it’s forbidden talk, but i wouldn’t be against selling him to Chelsea and getting Willian + 20m in return. At least we know Mourinho loves Willian, and he would fix our RW spot, even if he isn’t a muppet transfer like Pulisic.
Why would we sell one of the most talented young players in the world football at a cut-price when you see the likes of Dembele goes for 150 m, Coutinho for 160 and Lemar for 65 m in that stupid market? And Willian + 20m is an absolutely awful deal for us. An average 30 years old who never scored more than a couple of goals in a season in his entire career plus some cash (peanuts in this market) for a potential world-class player. That sounds terrible.

Sanche7

I hope we have put in a back clause or at least a first option.
Also I hope we don't sell him to PL Rival, especially to the cnut Levy, even if it meant getting Toby

AgentP

Just sell him to the highest bidder abroad. Bayern and Juventus might be interested.

Jojo <3 Mou

*looks at username with suspicion*

Sanchez was also proven to probably be on the way down... IMO, signing an aging player who's played badly for a long time is the foolhardy thing to do...
Lol :)

At least you know where I stand.

Sanchez was showing signs of decline? :smirk:Signs of disinterest and frustrations? Yes. I didn't notice the decline and I'm guessing that our scouts didn't either....

Reactions: SteveJ

haram

Well done to his agent for going public as well. Puts us in a great position. Dont want to hear about the guy anymore when he leaves.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Why would we sell one of the most talented young players in the world football at a cut-price when you see the likes of Dembele goes for 150 m, Coutinho for 160 and Lemar for 65 m in that stupid market? And Willian + 20m is an absolutely awful deal for us. An average 30 years old who never scored more than a couple of goals in a season in his entire career plus some cash (peanuts in this market) for a potential world-class player. That sounds terrible.
When you insert a buy-back clause for a fixed price, the fee the buyer would pay will obviously not be as high as it would without one.

Willian is certainly no goal/assist machine, but he has the right tools to be a vital cog in a functioning Mourinho side. He offers good transition play on the counter-attack, his work-rate is great, decent on set-pieces.

I don’t expect us to get anywhere near the Dembele/Coutinho fee, as he isn’t a starter, has 2 years left on his contract and wants to leave the club. Our bargaining position isn’t that strong. We will get 60m at max imo.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Pfftttt. I dint necessarily like Jose. Just find this blaming all but himself by Martial's fans quite amusing. One is proven winner and one is proven whiner. United will always thrive with or without both. If you think Martial is bigger than United than you can follow him religiously mate.
Exactly.

The MartialFC supporters are ridiculously unrealistic. He’s remained at the same level for 3 years with 2 different club managers and been dropped internationally as well with another manager. Surely 3 managers who don’t fancy him can’t all be wrong can they?

He has not been overall THAT good in my opinion, and he has to do the right thing for his career. He obviously doesn't feel like the starts are coming any time soon either. I would prefer for him to have a positive attitude and get his head down to make his way into the starting 11 regularly, but if he doesn't see that happening himself, then its for the best for us aswell as him that he does move on. I have to be honest, I am not too disappointed. Theres only so long we can talk about the potential of players, we need to be competing for the league next season, we need players who can perform week in week out and not sulk
Yea I don’t get the double standard...on one hand they’re saying give Martial more time even though he hasn’t proven anything in 3 years. And on the other, they’re saying Alexis doesn’t deserve time and is proven shit because he joined us half through the season after having played for only 3 or so months - not years.

Pretty sure I know which one is getting the special treatment and benefit of the doubt while the other isn’t. Hypocrisy if you ask me.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Exactly.

The MartialFC supporters are ridiculously unrealistic. He’s remained at the same level for 3 years with 2 different club managers and been dropped internationally as well with another manager. Surely 3 managers who don’t fancy him can’t all be wrong can they?
Are you saying LvG didn’t fancy Martial?

mu4c_20le

Even when having a 'poor' season he has put up decent numbers. Imagine when he has a good season as he hits his prime with his new club.

haram

Even when having a 'poor' season he has put up decent numbers. Imagine when he has a good season as he hits his prime with his new club.
You can say the same about Rashford and they play in the same position. I woukd rather have a top player at RW than Martial.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Well done to his agent for going public as well. Puts us in a great position. Dont want to hear about the guy anymore when he leaves.
Good luck with that. He'll be talked about for sure when he leaves because he'll develop immensely I'm sure and we'll constantly be reminded about how Mourinho sucked up. And rightly so. Though it will be up to you to simply ignore all that, but I suspect itll be hard to ignore like it was hard to ignore Pogbas rise.

Womp

idiot
The part about negotiating for 8 months and not coming to an agreement is telling. Mourinho isn't directly involved in negotiating a new contract and considering they were, Martial was willing to renew, but it seems they couldn't come to an agreement on funds maybe?

RedDevil@84

I would be sad if he leaves but then if he wants to go, so be it. It is fair if he feels he is not valued enough. Maybe it is true maybe it is not.
But there is no reason to sell him for cheap. If a club wants him they get him for big money given to youngsters with massive potential. In today's market it is well over 80M. We should extract every penny possible. We have been low balled for too long

mu4c_20le

You can say the same about Rashford and they play in the same position. I woukd rather have a top player at RW than Martial.
Actually i was just going to say that lvg got them playing exciting football. If jose werent available i would have given him another year with the youngsters.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Are you saying LvG didn’t fancy Martial?
You know what I mean...Martial isn’t the wonderboy that he was advertised to be. He’s no Mbappe or anything close to that.

Simply put, he had a free ride for the majority of 3 years. No competition and finally when someone was bought in to apply that pressure, he folded and dropped his head. That says it all for me really + combined with the board wanting to win they can’t keep babying and holding Martial’s hand forever; even better we’ll get a considerable fee from him and be able to use it for other starters.

It was sink or swim time for him and he didn’t even bother attempting to swim and rather just gave in his resignation papers. Don’t want that sort of player here. I love Martial and hoped it worked out but sometimes that doesn’t happen in sports and 2 sides have to move on. If he figures it out elsewhere, good on him as he wouldn’t have done it here otherwise he’d be an everyday starter now. If not, then it is what it is. Bitter-sweet situation for player and club here.

f_to_z

His agent said that not him exactly. He also dwelled upon not reaching an areement contract with United. Therefore it means they were willing to renew contract but United either did not want to raise to his demands or Mourinho stopped the renewal. As Mourinho once mentioned if any player wants to leave they have to mention it just after the issue with Martial. It might be Mourinho pushing him away but being smart making Martial make the move.

Red_toad

The part about negotiating for 8 months and not coming to an agreement is telling. Mourinho isn't directly involved in negotiating a new contract and considering they were, Martial was willing to renew, but it seems they couldn't come to an agreement on funds maybe?
How would we know he'd have been willing to renew? That's just speculation, maybe they were asking for the earth or just stringing the club along until the summer. Who know, but I see a lot of blaming of the club and manager for the situation, maybe he longs for the Sunshine of Spain....

haram

Good luck with that. He'll be talked about for sure when he leaves because he'll develop immensely I'm sure and we'll constantly be reminded about how Mourinho sucked up. And rightly so. Though it will be up to you to simply ignore all that, but I suspect itll be hard to ignore like it was hard to ignore Pogbas rise.
I ignored Pogba's rise as well. You win some you lose some.

BoomerangKuwanger

I have been one of Mourinho's biggest critics recently, but I'm actually willing to cut him some slack in this particular case. Martial is not entitled to anything - if he wants to be a permanent starter, then he has to start improving his work rate and overall desire.

Yes, Sanchez has been underwhelming, not denying that, but the point remains, he still at the very least puts up an effort. And let's not act like Alexis hasn't had some great shifts (remember his hardworking performance at the Etihad?).

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Rothen was very fair in his assessment. The part about him trying his best is bullshit. It's his mental state that's the problem. Many at United currently have that problem.

Basically, the agent says that it's a matter of him not receiving assurances that he'll be in the starting XI.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He should had remained a first teamer and we should have invested on a RW instead. Now we look set to lose our best winger and we will end up with a 29 year old on the left and no quality on the right

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I don't get why demanding to leave is seen as having such a bad attitude by many on here too .

Especially when it is in search for first team football elsewhere . That's brave imo because they are simply no guarantees in your new club either. I thought this same thing when Pogba left us.

Sitting on our bench doesn't help him one bit. And it doesn't appear that he is what the manager is looking for in that position. Whether rightly or wrongly. This move is in his best interests.

Member 5225

Can someone clarify something for me, it seems he has played in about 45 games last season - why is there so much uproar (by his fans) and sulking (by him) re: game time?

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Rothen was very fair in his assessment. The part about him trying his best is bullshit. It's his mental state that's the problem. Many at United currently have that problem.

Basically, the agent says that it's a matter of him not receiving assurances that he'll be in the starting XI.
Yep, Tony’s no exception to the privileged mentality that he expects there be no pressure put on him and everything handed down.

We would have been outside the top4 if not for Mourinho. People blaming him and Sanchez have no football sense. Putting Martial over Sanchez is funny. He is talented but if he cannot fight for his place (which he’s not even willing to do), by all means he can leave. Nothing is bigger than the club.

Member 5225

You know what I mean...Martial isn’t the wonderboy that he was advertised to be. He’s no Mbappe or anything close to that.

Simply put, he had a free ride for the majority of 3 years. No competition and finally when someone was bought in to apply that pressure, he folded and dropped his head. That says it all for me really + combined with the board wanting to win they can’t keep babying and holding Martial’s hand forever; even better we’ll get a considerable fee from him and be able to use it for other starters.

It was sink or swim time for him and he didn’t even bother attempting to swim and rather just gave in his resignation papers. Don’t want that sort of player here. I love Martial and hoped it worked out but sometimes that doesn’t happen in sports and 2 sides have to move on. If he figures it out elsewhere, good on him as he wouldn’t have done it here otherwise he’d be an everyday starter now. If not, then it is what it is. Bitter-sweet situation for player and club here.
Yep a very level post and exactly how I feel too. Just seems to lack that sense of drive and determination. Agreed re: he seems like he just folded as soon as some competition arrived.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Can someone clarify something for me, it seems he has played in about 45 games last season - why is there so much uproar (by his fans) and sulking (by him) re: game time?
It’s just the narrative out there people want to believe.

maniwin

Don't care about him leaving as long as we win something major next season. We have lost a lot of great player before , Martial is just simply a potential which without hardwork will end as flop. I won't lose sleep with this news.

mckenic

Just had a stupid though - perhaps he was always going/not in Jose's plans/wrong mentality... and Sanchez was bought as a short-term replacement?
If United have been negotiating for 8 months, the possibility of Martial walking away cant be a shock to them?

kambinks

More probably its about playtime imo. Even though I think he got adequate playing time on a team like United he probably feels he should be playing every game and you can't blame Mourinho that he couldn't commit LW to Martial with the many options we have there.

Personally think he's looking at Depay playing every game in Lyon and probably think he should be getting that much game time now albeit in a lesser league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Exactly.

Yea I don’t get the double standard...on one hand they’re saying give Martial more time even though he hasn’t proven anything in 3 years. And on the other, they’re saying Alexis doesn’t deserve time and is proven shit because he joined us half through the season after having played for only 3 or so months - not years.

Pretty sure I know which one is getting the special treatment and benefit of the doubt while the other isn’t. Hypocrisy if you ask me.
Hasn't shown anything in 3 years? He was top scorer his first season on the team, and this season he was a top 3 producer on the team in terms of goals/assist with his time on the field this season. It's okay though, I know pretending he didn't do anything for the team helps process the break up.

At the end of the day, I think it would have been a negative both for Martial and United if he stayed. It would be bad for United because it means you have a player with loads of potential who is fine playing sporadically, and getting cut out of the world cup squad because of his coach's management, that kind of player will never amount to anything special. And it'd obviously be bad for Martial given how the last couple of years, especially this last year went. The club is and should be following Mourinho who has a proven track record unlike Martial. I think it's been poorly handled by the Portugese, but the show must go on. I'm curious to see how the team look next season, what excuses Mourinho will come up with if things go bad, and I'm also curious to see how Martial will play under a different manager.

EkkoFisk7

fecking hate this. Made all the worse by the fact Sanchez has been next to useless and is nearly 30 already. We're making a huge mistake if we let him go.

Mourinho makes these mistakes (or just insanely bad decisions based on personal grudges) far too often. De Bruyne, Lukaku, and Salah -- three of the very best players in the Premier League last season -- all of whom were sold by Mourinho at Chelsea and play for their three biggest rivals now.
Wait, what? Lukaku? Who brought him to United before this season?

Abdullah7

Not to fussed about him, the club is getting ready for a crucial session that demand a major trophy.

There's no room for drama queens!

The club really need to win big time or we might lose our statue as one of the biggest clubs in the world.

People need to support the club not the individuals who aren't mature yet and easy to manipulate through their agents.

When Rom got injured he had a chance to make something out of nothing but he blow it away catastrophically.

If him leaving is to fund our needs to a truly WC player who can lift us once again then I'm %100 behind it.

We still have many promising youngsters coming through the lines for those who love watching them blossom carefully.

Last edited:

redIndianDevil

No, he doesn't want to play for 'us'. He wants to play. Given that his agent was talking up a move to Sevilla season before last he's not particularly bothered where he plays. His agent's talk of loyalty and commitment is absolutely hilarious.

He doesn't give a shit about us.
Oh please, wanting to play is not a stick to beat a player with. You think Sanchez, Lukaku, Ibra were or are here for the club? They all want to play and earn, that's all they want, the same goes for the manager too.

Rolaholic

Seeing so many here acting like scorned ex's already...

Wishing Martial the best moving forward,shame it couldn't work but it seems an exit is the most realistic solution for all parties.

Takes some fortitude to make the decision to take your career in your own hands so soon but he's at an age where it's crucial for his development to be getting consistent playing time

Just hope there's a sell on clause that prevents him from ever being sold back to English sides

Status
Not open for further replies.