Kick-off
Sat, 3 November 2018 @ 12:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 2 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    09:56
    Mourinho confirms team news
    He told MUTV:

“A very good week. We work tactically, we improve some fitness levels. We improve some of the players that were almost there but not there - Lingard, Alexis - these kind of players, that were already available but not yet at a good level.

“We trained with our kids too. They mixed with us on one of the days, which is an amazing feeling for them.

“Dalot and Fellaini are still out. The only one that went one step behind was Antonio Valencia with some problem in his knee. But Lingard and Alexis, now i can say ‘ready.’”

DomesticTadpole

10:00
    Mourinho was asked if Lukaku will start
    He replied:

Ask Samuel.

His reply is in reference to MEN journalist Samuel Luckhurst as we have had a leaked team for the past couple of games which has reportedly angered the United manager.

Do you want to tell us before he leaks it?

No, no. Mourinho joked

DomesticTadpole

On position
    You speak about being in a better position by January where to you think you will be then?

I think we will be in a better position, I always say that in the end of the season you play 19 matches at home and away and it doesn’t matter when but the reality is that the way the fixtures are coming sometimes they have an influence in the moment we had a double fixture away Burnley, Watford now we have a double fix Bournemouth and MC. We will have Juventus away before Manchester City, we will have Valencia away before Liverpool in this part of the season we play away against possibly the three biggest candidates for the title, Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester City so the calendar was not nice to us but I think by the end of December, which is the end of the first half of the PL, we are not going to be in the position we are now, will be a better position.

DomesticTadpole

10:03
    On his FA charge
    Are you pleasantly surprised you were cleared of your charge?

You know the reason why I ask the club and lawyers to appeal was because I was 100% that I was not guilty of this charges but you never know how it ends. Yes I’m pleased but I know that I have to respect the process and I have to wait for what is going to happen next but I only appeal if I feel I am not guilty, I don’t appeal to lose my time or others lose their time.

DomesticTadpole

10:04
    On signings
    Expect you to improve by the end of December do you think you will need more to be able to push for the places you want to be?

I think in this moment we have to focus on ourselves and to do better or get better results, I think is very difficult for example to go to Stamford Bridge and do better what we did in terms of performance, we had three points in our [pocket and left with only one. In other matches we should have better results and until end of December we have to focus on what we have in potential, problems quality and try to go because in this moment we are outside the top four and we have to push hard and to work hard and try to get into this top four position.

DomesticTadpole

10:06
    Player availability
    Which players are available? Where is Antonio Valencia?

Antonio Valencia watched something funny in his Instagram where he says work work work in the gym, he should say work work work alone because I am injured and cannot train with the team, he couldn’t train with the team so I think it looked like he was working really really hard and he was but without the ball and without the team so tomorrow you can imagine he is not selected because he is not ready. Apart from Antonio Fellaini and Dalot, Jesse and Alexis in a much better position because last week was an effort for them to be available for the team but now is a diff story and Alexis and Lingard after one good week they are ready to play.

DomesticTadpole

10:08
    On Bournemouth
    Are you surprised with the start Bournemouth have made?

Not really, you know their story is a story that doesn’t surprise really because after the promotion was the season of be a Premier League team and stay as a Premier League team and then stability and now they want more stability and they are fighting for this Europa League positions just below the top four target that is a very very difficult target for anyone but fantastic work great stability same manager players basically, clinical, scouting work, clinical decisions about who to buy and when to buy so I wouldn’t say big surprise for me.

DomesticTadpole

10:08
    Mourinho on the week ahead
    An important week for the club, how do you assess the mood and confidence going in to this week?

The mood is fine, our last couple of weeks was positive, let’s say second half against Newcastle then the match against Chelsea against Juventus was really hard and the team fought hard, so was not apart from the result, a negative performance and then another positive in some moments, v positive game against Everton, the mood is positive, is fine.

DomesticTadpole

10:09
    Are United still title contenders?
    Given everything you have said, given you expect to be in a different place in December, there’s a gap now but do you think United are still in the title race?

When you are outside the top four I don’t think you should speak about title, when you are top four you can look up, see the distance, look to the fixtures, to the calendar, you can look to the situation at the moment, injuries, suspension, form and then you can feel it but in this moment we are outside top four so the point is now to get the points we need to try and be in the end of December in a better position than we are in now at this moment.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    I don't think anyone does, Bournemouth are a quality side. Bar this weekend and the return fixture, I wish them well and hope they can do what Burnley did last season.
    Bournemouth have done very well in the opening fixtures. No question about that. But I do feel that they will drop in the table as the season progresses.
    We are the opposite - we have done terrible in the opening fixtures and are improving. We will rise up the table as the season progresses.
    We have no reason to fear them or pay them too much respect when playing them. Treat them like a mid table team and beat them, just as MCFC, LFC or CFC will do when they play them.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    Every game is a must win. Hope we go for it.
    Indeed.
    After dropping so many points at the start of the season, we simply can't afford to drop any more points.
    We must try and win every match, if we are to make top 4. I'd actually prefer to lose (while trying to win), than draw a match.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    You can just make up your own quotes on here these days. Actual press conference is secondary
    I've noticed a trend on this forum, where people are making up quotes, (not) said by Jose and then everybody believes those quotes.
    So many people dislike him so much, that they are now resorting to this.
    I really hope he stays and wins us lots of trophies - no doubt, many "fans" will be very sorry to see that happen; especially those who are hoping we lose matches, just so that Jose gets the sack.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
    Indeed.
    After dropping so many points at the start of the season, we simply can't afford to drop any more points.
    We must try and win every match, if we are to make top 4. I'd actually prefer to lose (while trying to win), than draw a match.
    Same. Draws do feck all for us at this stage.

RD76

2-1. Bournemouth will score twice before we decide to start playing. Then we'll only score one.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    The grammar in those MEN quotes is fecking pathetic. Do they have a 12 year old at their desk this morning?

Treble

Would be amaizing to have a clean sheet for starters.

SER19

I've noticed a trend on this forum, where people are making up quotes, (not) said by Jose and then everybody believes those quotes.
    So many people dislike him so much, that they are now resorting to this.
    I really hope he stays and wins us lots of trophies - no doubt, many "fans" will be very sorry to see that happen; especially those who are hoping we lose matches, just so that Jose gets the sack.
    Yeah its a weird time. Some hope we lose games. I can't ever grasp it

el3mel

MEN saying that they didn't spot Lukaku on the plane flying to Bournemouth but could have traveled separately.

United fly to Bournemouth
    No sign of Romelu Lukaku on the flight to Bournemouth, though he could have travelled separately.

el3mel

United squad members spotted by photographers at the airport:

Goalkeepers: De Gea, Romero, Grant

Defenders: Young, Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Darmian, Shaw

Midfielders: Pogba, Pereira, Herrera, Mata, Matic, Lingard, McTominay, Fred

Forwards: Sanchez, Martial, Rashford

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    I'd love to see Sanchez up front.
    I have no idea how he'll do, but he'll be much better than Lukaku and may be better than Rashford.

Re: Lukaku. Perhaps he needs a complete rest. The risk with this is that he may put on more weight. I do wonder what the hell our sports doctors/nutritionists, etc do, that they allowed Lukaku to put on so much weight. Whatever the case, we need Lukaku firing on all cylinders by December, otherwise, top 4 will be very difficult for us.

Suvvernmanc

Another must win game. We will have a few of those in the coming months.

It's alot of pressure for a group of players not currently on form and not playing to there potential. Obviously we have seen some improvements in recent weeks regarding the players mentality, but we are still seeing a style of football that the players see seems to grasp 100%. Our first half performances have been appalling and we cant keep only showing up for the second half if we are to win games on a consistant basis. There are teams in the PL that are good enough to compete against the very best and Bournemouth are that team. They put 4 past a good Watford team and they have good a great attacking style of play, spearheaded by pacy strikers who know how to score goals. I could see them scoring a couple and we could find ourselves in a real scrap.

We need our big players to step up. Matic, Pogba and Fred will have to really take the game by the scruff of the neck beacuse Bournemouths midfield will fight to keep possession and will run Matic ragged if he isn't disciplined in the 6 position. I personally would start Herrera there due to his energy and lets be honest, Matic has been poor!

I still think we will win the game but it will be another tight one. As I have said, the first half is massive for us. We need to cut there confidence in half early on with a solid start. Too many times this season have we looked shocked that the opposition have turned up with loads of confidence, and have gone in front.

peridigm

I'd love to see Sanchez up front.
    I have no idea how he'll do, but he'll be much better than Lukaku and may be better than Rashford.

Re: Lukaku. Perhaps he needs a complete rest. The risk with this is that he may put on more weight. I do wonder what the hell our sports doctors/nutritionists, etc do, that they allowed Lukaku to put on so much weight. Whatever the case, we need Lukaku firing on all cylinders by December, otherwise, top 4 will be very difficult for us.
    I'd not worry about Lukaku putting on too much weight by not playing. He doesn't move enough to burn off excess weight anyway.

I saw a clear difference in our style against Everton with him on the bench, and clear difference in our style when he came on. For one, Pogba was forward and around their box a lot more. I'd like to see how Sanchez would do as a striker but I doubt Jose will do that. Maybe a front line of Sanchez, Martial, and Rashford would be dynamic enough to cause opposition trouble. Like we had with Rooney, Tevez, and Ronaldo, albeit not nearly as good as the former players.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
    I'd rather give Sanchez a try up front than Rashford, he had a good season for Arsenal there in 16/17.

It's a must win game but difficult to see us getting anything. Bournemouth have looked very good so far this season, we haven't.

Havak

Pokemon master
    Was going to do a big post about this game, but it's a bit late now. I think we will need 2-3 goals to get any points. I've gone for a draw.

The Red Roman

The expectation at the start of the season was that United would put in a genuine title challenge, after 10 games we are not in the conversation for a title challenge, that is disappointing, and the reasons for us not being in contention are varied. We are probably about 6 points off where we need to be, the loses and performances at Brighton and West Ham are what has cost us, title challenger’s simply don’t perform and lose games in that way. It is very difficult to see us putting in a title challenge this season so in terms of the league it has now become about being in the top four. I think this is something that Mourinho has accepted judging by his pre-match press conference comments. “I think in this moment we have to focus on ourselves and do better, or get better results,” he said. “So, until the end of December, we have to focus on ourselves and the potential we have and the problems we have and the qualities we have and try to go because at the moment we are outside the top four. We have to push hard and work hard to improve and try and get into the top four positions.“ So the target now is to be in the top four positions by the 30th December. On average you need around 74 points minimum to make the top four which means by the halfway stage of the season you need about 37 points. This means United need to take around 20 points from the next 27 points on offer. The problem for United is that in last few seasons the amount of points needed to make the top four has gone up, so 74 might not even be enough given the strength of Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham this season. If we target that for now when we get to final 10 games we should have a better idea of what we will need. Looking at the next nine games United should be getting the 20 points needed minimum.

The performance level has been greatly improved in the last few weeks and going out of the Carabao Cup to Derby meant the manager and his staff have enjoyed a full, uninterrupted week of training at the Aon Training Complex, leaving Mourinho pleased with their work. “A very good week,” stated Mourinho. “We work tactically, we improve some fitness levels. We improve some of the players that were almost there but not there – Lingard, Alexis – these kind of players, that were already available but not yet at a good level. We trained with our kids too, mixed with us on one of the days, which is an amazing feeling for them. A good week.” Let’s see if this reflects in United’s performance against Bournemouth. We will be seeking back-to-back wins in the Premier League for the first time since September, but face a Bournemouth side riding high in the table, in sixth. The Cherries have won five of their last six games in all competitions and are a tricky side tactically, but one United should overcome.

Firstly Bournemouth’s formation is unpredictable; Howe changed his usual 4-4-2 to a 3-4-3 for the trip to Fulham. It will be interesting to see what formation they use here and what Mourinho does in response, will he match Bournemouth’s 3-man defence with a 3-man system of his own which is what he often does when United encounter a side that uses a 3-man system. Bournemouth can leave themselves exposed to quick counter-attacks. Howe remains committed to a positive, possession-based approach, which involves Bournemouth's full-backs overlapping aggressively, which leaves spaces in the channels for teams to counter-attack into. United’s 2nd goal in the 2-0 win over Bournmouth in April was a perfect example of how Bournemouth can be exposed in these situations. United have often looked at their most impressive under Mourinho when opponents push men forward, the speed of Martial, Lukaku and Rashford can prove devastating on the break and it's United's counter-attacking speed that will be most dangerous here and I fancy those three to cause Bournemouth’s problems here. Firstly United need to turn the ball over to create the opporthnites to counter-attack. For me the base formation should still be 4-3-3. Nemanja Matic holding and Paul Pogba pushing forward in a 4-2-3-1 system isn’t the perfect combination at the moment because Matic's lack of mobility is a serious concern in terms of stopping opposition counter-attacks. For me it feels like we need the third midfielder to play a balancing role between Matic and Pogba and I would like to see a good all-round box-to-box midfielder like Fred or Ander Herrera start. Defensively United have looked like a disjointed side lacking cohesion and compactness, we have struggled to keep clean sheets and I think Bournemouth could cause us real problems between the lines with David Brooks and Ryan Fraser. They are both diminutive, quick-footed playmaker’s who will drift inside into clever positions and get passing combinations going, regardless of what system Bournemouth play. They will force United’s full-backs narrow opening up space for Bournemouth’s full-backs on the overlap and with Matic struggling physically to protect United’s centre-backs this season, Bournemouth have the players to cause us problems. A reliable centre-back partnership remains a distant dream for United; Chris Smalling and Victor Lindelof’s doesn't appear a convincing partnership, although Lindelof’s form has improved in recent games. This season we have struggled more when playing against a physical presence.

Subs - Romero, Darmian, Bailly, Herrera, Mata, Lingard, Sanchez

At the airport

The following players were spotted boarding the plane for the game against Bournemouth:

Goalkeepers (3): David de Gea, Sergio Romero, Lee Grant
    Defenders (7): Ashley Young, Chris Smalling, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Phil Jones, Matteo Darmian, Luke Shaw
    Midfielders (6): Paul Pogba, Andreas Pereira, Ander Herrera, Nemanja Matic, Scott McTominay, Fred
    Forwards (5): Alexis Sanchez, Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard

Note: No Lukaku spotted.

Damien's predicted XI

I think anything could happen regarding the team, but I'll go for mostly the same team as last time except for Sanchez coming in for Mata to start up top. Could just as easily see the same XI as last week, or Lingard coming in instead.

De Gea

Young Smalling Lindelof Shaw
    Matic
    Fred Pogba
    Rashford Sanchez Martial​

Due to unforeseen circumstances, there will be no live match updates for this game. Normal service will be resumed against Juventus.

RAVred

Team should be...

---------------De Gea---------------
    Young--Smalling--Lindelof--Shaw
    ----------------Matic----------------
    ----------Fred--------Pogba----------
    Mata---------Sanchez---------Martial

Subs: Romero, Darmian, Bailly, Herrera, Lingard, Rashford, Lukaku
    Agreed, maybe Lingard in at half time if Mata or Sanchez isn't effective.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    The expectation at the start of the season was that United would put in a genuine title challenge, after 10 games we are not in the conversation for a title challenge, that is disappointing, and the reasons for us not being in contention are varied. We are probably about 6 points off where we need to be, the loses and performances at Brighton and West Ham are what has cost us, title challenger’s simply don’t perform and lose games in that way. It is very difficult to see us putting in a title challenge this season so in terms of the league it has now become about being in the top four. I think this is something that Mourinho has accepted judging by his pre-match press conference comments. “I think in this moment we have to focus on ourselves and do better, or get better results,” he said. “So, until the end of December, we have to focus on ourselves and the potential we have and the problems we have and the qualities we have and try to go because at the moment we are outside the top four. We have to push hard and work hard to improve and try and get into the top four positions.“ So the target now is to be in the top four positions by the 30th December. On average you need around 74 points minimum to make the top four which means by the halfway stage of the season you need about 37 points. This means United need to take around 20 points from the next 27 points on offer. The problem for United is that in last few seasons the amount of points needed to make the top four has gone up, so 74 might not even be enough given the strength of Arsenal, Chelsea and tottenham this season. If we target that for now when we get to final 10 games we should have a better idea of what we will need. Looking at the next nine games United should be getting the 20 points needed minimum.

The performance level has been greatly improved in the last few weeks and going out of the Carabao Cup to Derby meant the manager and his staff have enjoyed a full, uninterrupted week of training at the Aon Training Complex, leaving Mourinho pleased with their work. “A very good week,” stated Mourinho. “We work tactically, we improve some fitness levels. We improve some of the players that were almost there but not there – Lingard, Alexis – these kind of players, that were already available but not yet at a good level. We trained with our kids too, mixed with us on one of the days, which is an amazing feeling for them. A good week.” Let’s see if this reflects in United’s performance against Bournemouth. We will be seeking back-to-back wins in the Premier League for the first time since September, but face a Bournemouth side riding high in the table, in sixth. The Cherries have won five of their last six games in all competitions and are a tricky side tactically, but one United should overcome.

Firstly Bournemouth’s formation is unpredictable; Howe changed his usual 4-4-2 to a 3-4-3 for the trip to Fulham. It will be interesting to see what formation they use here and what Mourinho does in response, will he match Bournemouth’s 3-man defence with a 3-man system of his own which is what he often does when United encounter a side that uses a 3-man system. Bournemouth can leave themselves exposed to quick counter-attacks. Howe remains committed to a positive, possession-based approach, which involves Bournemouth's full-backs overlapping aggressively, which leaves spaces in the channels for teams to counter-attack into. United’s 2nd goal in the 2-0 win over Bournmouth in April was a perfect example of how Bournemouth can be exposed in these situations. United have often looked at their most impressive under Mourinho when opponents push men forward, the speed of Martial, Lukaku and Rashford can prove devastating on the break and it's United's counter-attacking speed that will be most dangerous here and I fancy those three to cause Bournemouth’s problems here. Firstly United need to turn the ball over to create the opporthnites to counter-attack. For me the base formation should still be 4-3-3. Nemanja Matic holding and Paul Pogba pushing forward in a 4-2-3-1 system isn’t the perfect combination at the moment because Matic's lack of mobility is a serious concern in terms of stopping opposition counter-attacks. For me it feels like we need the third midfielder to play a balancing role between Matic and Pogba and I would like to see a good all-round box-to-box midfielder like Fred or Ander Herrera start. Defensively United have looked like a disjointed side lacking cohesion and compactness, we have struggled to keep clean sheets and I think Bournemouth could cause us real problems between the lines with David Brooks and Ryan Fraser. They are both diminutive, quick-footed playmaker’s who will drift inside into clever positions and get passing combinations going, regardless of what system Bournemouth play. They will force United’s full-backs narrow opening up space for Bournemouth’s full-backs on the overlap and with Matic struggling physically to protect United’s centre-backs this season, Bournemouth have the players to cause us problems. A reliable centre-back partnership remains a distant dream for United; Chris Smalling and Victor Lindelof’s doesn't appear a convincing partnership, although Lindelof’s form has improved in recent games. This season we have struggled more when playing against a physical presence.

Subs - Romero, Darmian, Bailly, Herrera, Mata, Lingard, Sanchez
    Sometimes I wonder if our training has any arrow movement or any movement training at all

Hisha

Supports
    OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
    United squad members spotted by photographers at the airport:

Goalkeepers: De Gea, Romero, Grant

Defenders: Young, Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Darmian, Shaw

Midfielders: Pogba, Pereira, Herrera, Mata, Matic, Lingard, McTominay, Fred

Forwards: Sanchez, Martial, Rashford
    Where is Lukaku?

PoTMS

Tough job going to these lot. If we weren't so far behind, a point here would be a good result but now it's a must win really. I hope we're finally going with what we all wanted. Sanchez up top with Martial and Rashford flanking, Lukaku with his ass on the bench.

SER19

Its not because its the mighty Bournemouth its more that weve been here before with so many false dawns but i just want this game over with 3 points however we get them. Go into city with momentum

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 374 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw