Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

mu4c_20le

36 in total for workers in the world cup stadiums or projects connected to it, 3 of the cases were were due to accidents in work sites. the rest were non work related deaths.
Apparently they don't report or count heat stress related deaths. So the number 3 must be the unlucky ones that had a stadium collapse and directly fall on them.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
According to the Qatati reports, yes. Only 3 deaths in construction site related to accidents.
Right. That settles it, then.

According to US reports at the time, Iraq had loads of WMDs. So that thing was entirely justified.

And according to Putin, the "special military operation" is all about liberating oppressed people.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
In conclusion, you didn't even read my post.

In case you didn't realise, humans are an evolved species. I can disagree with how Qatar is run, and simultaneously attempt to uncover the double standards where boycotts are called for here, yet not in the other countries that cause immesurable more human suffering. Double standards have extremely deleterious effects, both in undermining the messaging behind a legitimate protest (like Qatar), and in inhibiting introspection and, thus, critical mass, for situations closer to home (like the West).

Anyways, I'll leave you to it. We obviously have fundamental disagreement.
The more you shout double standards into the ether the hollower it becomes.

Can you outline who exactly has displayed what double standards without the ridiculous rhetoric in an attempt to pad out the vacuous nonsense?

MDFC Manager

According to US reports at the time, Iraq had loads of WMDs. So that thing was entirely justified.

And according to Putin, the "special military operation" is all about liberating oppressed people.
Yeah that figure of 3 (or 36) can't be true given the extreme heat conditions. Attributing 6k deaths directly to the world cup stadium developments is also untrue though.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Women's rights and homophobia are enough for a boycott, but my qualm is that they do not outweigh the problems with hosting sporting events in other countries like the US and UK, for example.

So basically you agree there should be a boycott, you just feel there should be more boycotting.

I fully agree.

Giggsyking

The number is unrealistic I agree, it is what Infantino also reports, but the 6500 number is also some agenda driven number by the British media.

mu4c_20le

The number is unrealistic I agree, it is what Infantino also reports, but the 6500 number is also some agenda driven number by the British media.
Only when backed into a corner. You were still pushing it in the last page.

Giggsyking

Only when backed into a corner. You were still pushing it in the last page.
Backed in a corner? ffs, I wrote the numbers are reported by Qatar, I did not say I believe they are true. My main focus was the 6500 that was being used by the British media and you can read all my posts about it. When I say unrealistic, I would add the deaths that occurring indirectly because of bad working conditions like after heatstroke and traffic accidents of the workers busses. That might take the number above 30 with the non work related deaths that are being reported by them. Other than that the 6500 number from a total of 2 m workers in 9 years is not out of proportion, just use your brain ffs.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's not just British media. But yes, those numbers have been used by the media in general in order to sensationalize the issue, there is no doubt about that. And there is every reason to look very closely at those numbers and put them in their proper context.

But why would you make a post like you did above, plainly quoting Qatari sources? Surely, there is no more reason to believe those sources than the British media? Some might say less, considerably less, since the media (British or not) occasionally report things straight (more or less), whereas state propaganda is never anything but...that.

Giggsyking

It's not just British media. But yes, those numbers have been used by the media in general in order to sensationalize the issue, there is no doubt about that. And there is every reason to look very closely at those numbers and put them in their proper context.

But why would you make a post like you did above, plainly quoting Qatari sources? Surely, there is no more reason to believe those sources than the British media? Some might say less, considerably less, since the media (British or not) occasionally report things straight (more or less), whereas state propaganda is never anything but...that.
Because it is the only official sources (the workers welfare report and the supreme committee for delivery and legacy) (not Qatari media) and is being used officially by FIFA, there is no other official source, if you have any other official numbers I would gladly look into it.

Again the only other number that was being reported by non Qatari sources (unofficial), based on the number of deaths of nationals of 4 or 5 Asian countries in 9 years for various reason with no relation to occupation nor place of work (as they themselves reported) is 6500 workers from cirka 2m immigrant.

I have seen the unfair and in many cases inhuman treatment the immigrant workers experience in the gulf states and pains the soul to see it. But when Qatar was awarded the world cup, I was hoping the focus on them will help improve the conditions for the immigrant workers in the future and it actually made a difference. The inhuman Kafala program has been scrapped after many years of pressure on Qatar thanks to the world cup and the spotlight on them. It is still a long way until immigrants in the gulf states enjoy full rights but one step is better than nothing.

Malcusss

The more you shout double standards into the ether the hollower it becomes.

Can you outline who exactly has displayed what double standards without the ridiculous rhetoric in an attempt to pad out the vacuous nonsense?
Last post of the day:

In particular:
- Eric Cantona was receiving cold cash from Nike for several years to be their face while they exploited workers and violated their rights. Now he finds Qatar objectionable. This is a textbook double standard from the namesake of this thread.

In general:
- People turned a blind eye to bribery when it went on in every single world cup, and are now calling for boycotts.
- Brazil had to build or rebuild all of their world cup stadiums, with many falling effectively into disuse after the world cup (Brasília, Manaus), but there weren't any international calls for boycotts then.
- Football is the most popular sport among Qataris. It is fourth in the US, third in Japan. Yet now this is reason for objection, but then it was to encourage new audiences.

These are all textbook double standards. If you want me to name specific individuals, your pettiness will not be rewarded. I can be uncomfortable with double standards, and express it, in general, without it being vacuous nonsense. This is a forum, after all. Unless you think that all protest should be directed at specific individuals.

P.S. I'm glad that we are starting to question official death figures, when that's what we have been using since the first world cup. Shame that it took the World Cup being held in an Arab country for it to happen.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
What are you comparing here? these 6750 are the total number of deaths in Qatar from 2m immigrant in 9 years. Do you think this number is out of proportion?
That’s my point … without having accurate numbers, you can’t criticize Qatar.

stevoc

Be objective and put your data if you are wishing to engage in discussion.
Can say the same thing about the British media and the west related "NGO's" claims about the deaths in Qatar.
If you actually believe the reports of an authoritarian regime on their own human rights records then fair enough.

On a completely unrelated topic I actually have an amazing once in a lifetime opportunity to offer you. One question, have you ever thought about owning your own bridge?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
- Brazil had to build or rebuild all of their world cup stadiums, with many falling effectively into disuse after the world cup (Brasília, Manaus), but there weren't any international calls for boycotts then.
I am sure if we look at all the bad things involving Qatar and this World Cup, some of them apply to other World Cups. But not all of them. Hence the other ones are less objectionable.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I am sure if we look at all the bad things involving Qatar and this World Cup, some of them apply to other World Cups. But not all of them. Hence the other ones are less objectionable.

And most importantly to undermine their point, the exact same media outlets and NGOs did complain about Brazil.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Last post of the day:

In general:
- People turned a blind eye to bribery when it went on in every single world cup, and are now calling for boycotts.

These are all textbook double standards.

No, that is just utter nonsense. there has been investigations and growing unrest into FIFA and the awarding of World Cups for decades now. There was outcry over the World Cup in Brazil and talk of Boycotts over Russia, and a literal criminal investigation over corruption led by the US authorities So the only person in this thread who is guilty of double standards is you.

Go to the CE forum and see the spread of criticism on these boards, whereas quite a large amount of your few posts are in this thread obfuscating the legitimate concerns over the Qatari State and human rights.

Mshafeek

Last post of the day:

In particular:
- Eric Cantona was receiving cold cash from Nike for several years to be their face while they exploited workers and violated their rights. Now he finds Qatar objectionable. This is a textbook double standard from the namesake of this thread.

In general:
- Football is the most popular sport among Qataris. It is fourth in the US, third in Japan. Yet now this is reason for objection, but then it was to encourage new audiences.

These are all textbook double standards. If you want me to name specific individuals, your pettiness will not be rewarded. I can be uncomfortable with double standards, and express it, in general, without it being vacuous nonsense. This is a forum, after all. Unless you think that all protest should be directed at specific individuals.

P.S. I'm glad that we are starting to question official death figures, when that's what we have been using since the first world cup. Shame that it took the World Cup being held in an Arab country for it to happen.
These people won't admit it even if they feel the hypocrisy in their hearts. They will just try to deflect it or cover it up with other silly arguments. Fortunately even if the whole of europe were to boycott, it wouldn't affect the WC's success, because most asians are well and truly on board and for many of the most populated countries in the world, this is the most accessible WC ever.
For the record, I fully agree that the despotic regimes in the ME are fundamentally problematic and the labor exploitation is a fact - but that doesn't take away from the hypocrisy of exponential proportions currently being displayed by european sources. Many events of the recent past - most notably the winter olympics in china and russia WC - were hosted by regimes exponentially more problematic and corrupt - and most of these people did not bat an eye. Take the example of Norway and the noise they made on qatar. Yet they had no issue with participating in China, who are literally committing acts of genocide. And blatant lies - like the 6500 figure - are being shamelessly repeated despite being so obviously false. I reckon closet Islamophobia is the root cause.
And, people are acting as if the world ought to unconditionally follow the west in every social issue without delay or else be punished. LGBTQ normalisation is something the west has only recently adopted. But people expecting that different cultures and countries readily accept the change - without considering the practical impossibility of this happening - are just naive and foolish , to put it mildly.

Reactions: oates

Giggsyking

These people won't admit it even if they feel the hypocrisy in their hearts. They will just try to deflect it or cover it up with other silly arguments. Fortunately even if the whole of europe were to boycott, it wouldn't affect the WC's success, because most asians are well and truly on board and for many of the most populated countries in the world, this is the most accessible WC ever.
For the record, I fully agree that the despotic regimes in the ME are fundamentally problematic and the labor exploitation is a fact - but that doesn't take away from the hypocrisy of exponential proportions currently being displayed by european sources. Many events of the recent past - most notably the winter olympics in china and russia WC - were hosted by regimes exponentially more problematic and corrupt - and most of these people did not bat an eye. Take the example of Norway and the noise they made on qatar. Yet they had no issue with participating in China, who are literally committing acts of genocide. And blatant lies - like the 6500 figure - are being shamelessly repeated despite being so obviously false. I reckon closet Islamophobia is the root cause.
And, people are acting as if the world ought to unconditionally follow the west in every social issue without delay or else be punished. LGBTQ normalisation is something the west has only recently adopted. But people expecting that different cultures and countries readily accept the change - without considering the practical impossibility of this happening - are just naive and foolish , to put it mildly.
Couldn't say it betrer.

redshaw

And blatant lies - like the 6500 figure - are being shamelessly repeated despite being so obviously false. I reckon closet Islamophobia is the root cause.
Yes it's odd this figure is being banded about by the likes of the Guardian, like some form of gaslighting.

MuFc_1992

I'm seriously considering not even watching a single game on telly this time as a huge majority of people dying in the construction of the stadiums are my countrymen and every other day we get body being flown into the county from a middle eastern country with inhumane labor laws. Also, these countries are the wealthiest in the world and spend ridiculous amount of money on frivolous things so, if they had the will then they would be able to improve the lives of these workers but the reality is they simply couldn't care less about these people. People can cry hypocrisy all they like but if exploitation of labor and inhumane labor conditions existed in western countries then most people would at least protest against it whereas in Qatar people don't even bat an eyelid and there is no public will whatsoever to help these people. I know people are gonna talk about Nike manufacturing in sweatshops but most people don't see the appalling conditions in front of them whereas in Qatar you can see frail looking people wearing dirty clothes working in inhumane conditions and the govt. and people there actively turning a blind eye to the modern day slavery taking place in front of them.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Couldn't say it betrer.
What people? You are all imaging someone who cheered the bombing of Baghdad and are now having a go at the Qataris. These people don't exist. It would be better for your sense of injustice if they did, but they don't.

The only people guilty of regional or any sort of bias in this thread are those claiming 'western arrogance'' and the like.

But it is good we finally have it out in the open that you think it's an attack on Islam, it's been obvious for a while in this thread.

Last edited:

Malcusss

No, that is just utter nonsense. there has been investigations and growing unrest into FIFA and the awarding of World Cups for decades now. There was outcry over the World Cup in Brazil and talk of Boycotts over Russia, and a literal criminal investigation over corruption led by the US authorities So the only person in this thread who is guilty of double standards is you.

Go to the CE forum and see the spread of criticism on these boards, whereas quite a large amount of your few posts are in this thread obfuscating the legitimate concerns over the Qatari State and human rights.
I've already wasted enough time pointing out the double standards and you, in your arrogance, refuse to acknowledge any of them. You resort to pettiness to avoid any and all instrospection, so I'm afraid this is a lost cause.

I hope things improve for workers, LGBTQIA+ folks, and women in Qatar.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I've already wasted enough time pointing out the double standards and you, in your arrogance, refuse to acknowledge any of them. You resort to pettiness to avoid any and all instrospection, so I'm afraid this is a lost cause.

I hope things improve for workers, LGBTQIA+ folks, and women in Qatar.

The only arroagance on display is you dismissing millions of people who agree with you because you doubt their motives. It's absurd.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
As an atheist, my only real reading on Islam is because it permeates Malcom X's writing and he frequently spoke of Islam being a religion that promotes and encourages equality.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
No and no. It's sad what people think of Muslims, do you also think of there are enough Muslims then there will be Sharia law in UK?

Christians used to think owning slaves was their god given right as well.

I think the question was rhetorical. I think the point is that people attacking the human rights issues are not attacking Islam, which is basically the accusation underlying the cries of double standards and hypocrisy.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Those who defend the Qatar regime are hiding behind Islam.
Correctly the treatment of women and human beings as virtual slaves has nothing to do with the faith.
But these 'defenders' are really defending their culture and such practices.

Personally I do not care if this tournament is a success or not
I do not care how many people watch it or not.

I always want England to do well. But if they fluke it and win the darn thing, it would be void for me.

The fault lies squarely with FIFA for allowing it to be held in a country when bribes and human rights violations were proven.
All because of almost a billion dollars.

I hope Erik uses the Abomination break to bring more of our players into the style of football he wants us to play.

Giggsyking

What people? You are all imaging someone who cheered the bombing of Baghdad and are now having a go at the Qataris. These people don't exist. It would be better for your sense of injustice if they did, but they don't.

The only people guilty of regional or any sort of bias in this thread are those claiming 'western arrogance'' and the like.

But it is good we finally have it out in the open that you think it's an attack on Islam, it's been obvious for a while in this thread.
are you boycotting the WC in USA?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
are you boycotting the WC in USA?
I boycott most things, I even boycott Manchester United. Not given them a penny in any way in decades.

Not that it relevant. USA has more freedoms than Qatar, and if they are the grounds for boycott, then not boycotting both countries is not hypocrisy.

You can try and frame my objection to Qatar as anti Islam forever and you won't succeed because its in your head.

Giggsyking

No you didn't, I urposely dudnt answer, because it's irrelevant.

If you have an answer it's as baseless as much of your contribution to this thread.
You could have answered a simple question with yes or no. But whatever!