Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

JustAGuest

Yeah that’s become annoying now. Other countries are seeing the “festive” side while the BBC & ITV & Sky Sports its everything outside the stadium is only the negatives. Yet social media is filled with great snippets and stories of fans from everywhere uniting and having fun.

No doubt “ keep politics aways from sports” will be back in 4 years.
Are you sure those are not the ones paid to promote Qatar?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The certainly did, I watched it.
They missed the whole segment with Morgan Freeman and the disabled Qatari, and even the opening recitation of the Quran. The performance by the fella from BTS was missed too (maybe a good thing).

stevoc

The world is not just Western Europe.
Bit of a strange response but maybe you just misinterpreted my question. I was interested in which channels from other countries (western europe or otherwise) you were watching the World Cup coverage on?

arnie_ni

Do we think when the world Cup is in USA people will stand as firm against them? Police violence, gun violence on gay clubs and schools etc etc or will it all be swept under carpet

Edit to further explain my thoughts

Didn't mean it to be whataboutery. Qatar is bring rightly criticised, I hope it just doesn't stop because the next country is an "ally". It needs to continue and they need to highlight Americas issues as well.

Last edited:

Infra-red

Do we think when the world Cup is in USA people will stand as firm against them? Police violence, gun violence on gay clubs and schools etc etc or will it all be swept under the carpet?
Trump will likely be president, so I'm sure there will be some coverage of whatever abhorrent nonsense he gets up to in his second term.

It will be nauseating watching him hand the world cup over to a 42 year old Ronaldo while Piers Morgan watches from the VIP box.

JustAGuest

Do we think when the world Cup is in USA people will stand as firm against them? Police violence, gun violence on gay clubs and schools etc etc or will it all be swept under the carpet?
Let's see. Many seem to consider that one to be as problematic as this one. ;)

united for life

Looking at the coverage of the BBC & then contrasting it with what I’m actually seeing from fans on social media. I think now the disservice is being done to us by the BBC/ITV who are not giving us the WC experience.

fans are actually enjoying their time at the world cup in Qatar. Unfortunately, some media does not portray the full picture. I am not surprised at all; got used to it unfortunately

AlPistacho

Sure, but how can you be so certain given that they are paying fans to do positive social media posts for them?
Why would you automatically assume that a fan videoing a Mexican fan having the Keffiyeh put on her by a Qatari security official was a paid for propaganda? Especially when the video started half way through? Or the same with the Brazilian and Qatari fans dancing?

I’m all for critical thinking skills. Although I do wonder why these ‘critical thinking skills’ were not used by certain people when it became clear that

1) a supposedly reputable newspaper manipulated and lied about the cause for labourers death: 6500 dead labourers was reported as the total who died while working. When in reality it was the total who died of all causes. And other newspapers outright fabricated even more outrageous number out of nothing. Where was the critical thinking then?

2) The same rules that apply to the LGBT community also apply to heterosexuals. Acts of public indecency are frowned upon in Qatar and are illegal. Just like in the U.K straight or gay you can be arrested and go to court for committing some acts in public. The only difference is that in the U.K. there is a higher benchmark for what is classed as public indecency. In that regards it’s pretty naive or hypocritical of us to expect Qatar to adapt to us as even across Europe social norms change from country to country. In some South American countries you can get away with more in public than you can here before the public become uncomfortable and police intervene. What about when they start lecturing us for being too conservative? Who on earth is right.

Also in Qatar the law enforcement are not out trying to catch LGBT people. They have a “what’s consensual in the home is none of their business” approach. If a nosey neighbour starts making accusations, they will most likely face slander charges. So whether gay or straight to get punished for it in Qatar you have to be doing physically in public. If someone attacks someone for being gay (almost unheard of as violent crime is almost zero in the Gulf) they’d go to jail not get a pat on the back.

Now I’m just surprised that for two issues so many people seem to care so much about so few have actually put in the time and done the basic research to find out the facts.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Those aren't wholely regime issues though are they? The failure to ban guns is corruption and it is a wholely corrupt political system. But they don't have modern day slavery with 1000s of their slaves dying to build World Cup facilities. The whataboutism doesn't work here. Also the police may be heavy handed but they tend to get in a bit of bother for raping people, which the Qatari police engage in heavily against peoples of the LGBT community. They also don't kill people for apostacy and blasphamy as much as the Republicans would probably want that

arnie_ni

Those aren't wholely regime issues though are they? The failure to ban guns is corruption and it is a wholely corrupt political system. But they don't have modern day slavery with 1000s of their slaves dying to build World Cup facilities. The whataboutism doesn't work here. Also the police may be heavy handed but they tend to get in a bit of bother for raping people, which the Qatari police engage in heavily against peoples of the LGBT community. They also don't kill people for apostacy and blasphamy as much as the Republicans would probably want that
Didn't mean it to be whataboutery. Qatar is bring rightly criticised, I hope it just doesn't stop because the next country is an "ally". It needs to continue and they need to highlight Americas issues as well.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Erm that’s not US government doing that though, is it? HUGE difference mate.

The US is a fecking wreck, but it’s at least got the infrastructure to host a World Cup.

Also it’s in 4 years - why are you talking about it now in the thread about the WC literally happening right now!?

arnie_ni

Erm that’s not US government doing that though, is it? HUGE difference mate.

The US is a fecking wreck, but it’s at least got the infrastructure to host a World Cup.

Also it’s in 4 years - why are you talking about it now in the thread about the WC literally happening right now!?
It was just a thought that popped into my head when I heard someone mention that USA are sharing the next one.

Read my post above. I didnt properly explain myself.

While it isn't their doing, they aren't doing much to prevent those sorts of things and I hope it gets highlighted as much as qatars human rights issue are.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Do we think when the world Cup is in USA people will stand as firm against them? Police violence, gun violence on gay clubs and schools etc etc or will it all be swept under carpet

Edit to further explain my thoughts

Their foreign policy and Iraq is worthy boycott reasons on their own.

AlPistacho

Bit of a strange response but maybe you just misinterpreted my question. I was interested in which channels from other countries (western europe or otherwise) you were watching the World Cup coverage on?
I apologise for my response. At the same time as your reply I read a bunch of “anything positive must have been paid for ” replies and got mixed up.

I don’t know the names as one was in a cafe, I think Albanian, the other was at my GF’s and was most likely a Brazilian channel through a stream. Others were clips that people recorded from home about funny/dumb fan moments pre/post match and put online. So literally no idea.

AlPistacho

If a man is screaming about gun crime and the need to stop it. Is it “whatsboutery” to point out that he’s holding an assault rifle, 9mm sidearm and served 15 years in jail for a double shooting?

JustAGuest

Why would you automatically assume that a fan videoing a Mexican fan having the Keffiyeh put on her by a Qatari security official was a paid for propaganda? Especially when the video started half way through? Or the same with the Brazilian and Qatari fans dancing?

I’m all for critical thinking skills. Although I do wonder why these ‘critical thinking skills’ were not used by certain people when it became clear that

1) a supposedly reputable newspaper manipulated and lied about the cause for labourers death: 6500 dead labourers was reported as the total who died while working. When in reality it was the total who died of all causes. And other newspapers outright fabricated even more outrageous number out of nothing. Where was the critical thinking then?

2) The same rules that apply to the LGBT community also apply to heterosexuals. Acts of public indecency are frowned upon in Qatar and are illegal. Just like in the U.K straight or gay you can be arrested and go to court for committing some acts in public. The only difference is that in the U.K. there is a higher benchmark for what is classed as public indecency. In that regards it’s pretty naive or hypocritical of us to expect Qatar to adapt to us as even across Europe social norms change from country to country. In some South American countries you can get away with more in public than you can here before the public become uncomfortable and police intervene. What about when they start lecturing us for being too conservative? Who on earth is right.

Also in Qatar the law enforcement are not out trying to catch LGBT people. They have a “what’s consensual in the home is none of their business” approach. If a nosey neighbour starts making accusations, they will most likely face slander charges. So whether gay or straight to get punished for it in Qatar you have to be doing physically in public. If someone attacks someone for being gay (almost unheard of as violent crime is almost zero in the Gulf) they’d go to jail not get a pat on the back.

Now I’m just surprised that for two issues so many people seem to care so much about so few have actually put in the time and done the basic research to find out the facts.
I'm not automatically assuming anything. I only pointed out that there are fans being paid to post positive social media posts. It doesn't rule out genuine posts, but I question how you can be sure of one or the other.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I'm not automatically assuming anything. I only pointed out that there are fans being paid to post positive social media posts. It doesn't rule out genuine posts, but I question how you can be sure of one or the other.
There are thousands of people in Qatar and some light research you can see vidoes/opinions from wide range of people and see for yourself . It would have to be one hell of a conspiracy to fake it all. I know some people who are there now too and they have all said the atmosphere has been great.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
The US does in fact have modern-day slavery. It's called penal labor.

Steffa Barnesa

I watched it on BBC, they showed pretty much all of it.
Hiding it on the red button was a choice in keeping with how they're covering it. They won't hide other opening ceremonies like that again, and many watching from behind like myself were robbed of the option.

Being lectured by pundits happy to pose with Putin befoe Russia 2018 should've been on the red button instead. I'm sure millions would've eagerly clicked.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I'd be more than happy for players to protest gun violence and police violence at the next world cup. The difference is the Qatari's will actually suppress the right to free speach in this tournament, so everyones too scared to wear a rainbow armband.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'd be more than happy for players to protest gun violence and police violence at the next world cup. The difference is the Qatari's will actually suppress the right to free speach in this tournament, so everyones too scared to wear a rainbow armband.
And not allowed into a stadium if wearing any rainbow pattern… in a WC that’s happening literally right now… but yeah, let’s whine about the US WC that’s 4 years in the future.

There’s whataboutism and then there’s just wilful derailing.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
The US does in fact have modern-day slavery. It's called penal labor.
Someone who's abused society repaying their debt to soceity is wholely different to innocent people being kept as slaves and worked to death. I don't get why some of you are so desperate to defend this human rights abuse.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Someone who's abused society repaying their debt to soceity is wholely different to innocent people being kept as slaves and worked to death. I don't get why some of you are so desperate to defend this human rights abuse.
Penal labor is abhorrent and wrong in the USA. Just because you are incarcerated the government doesn't have the right to subject you to forced labor. This is in addition to the mass incarceration of racial minorities.

Boavista

1) They didn't really. I believe this was the Guardian article that originally reported that number. It doesn't state that those died while working, and doesn't even include statistics from a few other countries where a lot of migrant workers came from. It does state that Qatar rarely reports on what the causes of death is beyond "natural causes" which in itself is suspicious.

2) The same rules don't apply in private, and there are reports of Qatar law enforcement trying to catch LGBT people.

AlPistacho

You didn’t comment on my parts about the news channels who have largely driven this campaign having been caught lying to their audience and making up grossly exaggerated numbers about the migrant deaths or the one newspaper that found one accurate stat attributing a false headline to it ? 6500 deaths over 10 years would amount to an average of close to two a day dying in the stadiums. Anyone who thought about that would have realised it didn’t add up.

But you want people to doubt every (of course only positive) video that a fans at the World Cup posts? :houllier:

You also ignored the fact that the ‘news’ only highlighted the trouble that the LGBT community could get into. Grossly exaggerated HOW they could get into trouble and failed to send the same warning to heterosexual couples?

But again it’s fans posting clips sharing a once in a lifetime event for them that you doubt? I mean seriously think a bit.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
There are multiple threads in the CE forum focussed specifically on the fecked up shit going on in USA, calling out US police and criticising the awful governing of that country…

I trust you spend your time posting in them how we should be also focussing on the Human Rights abuses of the qatar regime, Mack?

You know, so as not to be a hypocrite.
That doesn't make much sense. I responded directly to a comment that claimed modern-day slavery doesn't exist in the US and this thread is visible. Furthermore, I'm a black man who lives and was born in the US. It makes perfect sense to respond to the issues that happen in my country when I see them. Maybe you should do the same.

Terribly sorry I'm not a fan of Western elitism and my responses upset you so much.

EDIT: And I've already said I am against the ill-treatment of the LGBT community in Qatar (and anywhere in the world) and the poor working conditions for migrant workers. They human beings like the rest of us, and don't deserve to be treated as second-class citizens.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You’re derailing, I think wilfully, and steering the thread away from its actual topic.

My post history will show that I’m a big critic of US bullshit, racism (I’m not white), and generally elitism of any kind.

But if you want to talk about US prison system, please do so in the relevant thread - indeed, tag me and I’ll gladly talk in there about that topic.

But if you’re not in threads focussed on US issues telling people in there they need to focus on the disgusting behaviour of the qatar government, I don’t see why you’re in here talking about America.
Because someone brought up that the US doesn't have modern-day slavery and I corrected them. I'm confused why you are directing your hissy fit at me when I didn't bring up the topic.

JustAGuest

You didn’t comment on my parts about the news channels who have largely driven this campaign having been caught lying to their audience and making up grossly exaggerated numbers about the migrant deaths or the one newspaper that found one accurate stat attributing a false headline to it ? 6500 deaths over 10 years would amount to an average of close to two a day dying in the stadiums. Anyone who thought about that would have realised it didn’t add up.

But you want people to doubt every (of course only positive) video that a fans at the World Cup posts? :houllier:

You also ignored the fact that the ‘news’ only highlighted the trouble that the LGBT community could get into. Grossly exaggerated HOW they could get into trouble and failed to send the same warning to heterosexual couples?

But again it’s fans posting clips sharing a once in a lifetime event for them that you doubt? I mean seriously think a bit.
I didn't comment on those parts as it seemed irrelevant to my post about fans being paid by Qatar to do positive PR for them, but I can see the connection if you are implying that the media is lying about it. I'm guessing the point about the LGBT community must be meant for another user.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

stevoc

I apologise for my response. At the same time as your reply I read a bunch of “anything positive must have been paid for ” replies and got mixed up.

I don’t know the names as one was in a cafe, I think Albanian, the other was at my GF’s and was most likely a Brazilian channel through a stream. Others were clips that people recorded from home about funny/dumb fan moments pre/post match and put online. So literally no idea.
Ok fair enough mate, no worries. The likes of ITV and the BBC are sort of damned if they do and damned if they don't thought aren't they. Highlight the issues going on with people in Qatar and some people are annoyed they aren't just concentrating on football. Ignore the issues and others will be upset they aren't using the platform to shine a light on the human rights abuses over there. So I imagine they're they're trying to strike a balance, to be honest at the last World Cup they didn't afford enough coverage to some of the issues surrounding Russia. So personally I think it's good that this time they are speaking out on things, I hope this happens at every World Cup going forward.

Pintu

Can you point to someone here who said they are ok with Qatar’s human rights abuses?

Regarding modern slavery the US is not really perfect.

And Mexico the other organiser of 2026

Last edited: