Position: Defender - Left-Back/Right-Back
Player Agent: YMU Group
Squad Number: #33
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2024
Contract option: Club option 1 year
Date of last contract extension: Aug 4, 2020
Outfitter: Puma​

Max_United

He surely will go? Haven’t seen anything about him leaving though. The only way I can see him staying is if Maguire leaves and we do not sign any defenders - to provide squad depth given that Shaw can play CB

tomaldinho1

No issues with him staying and being a third choice, don't think he has much sell on value and we can't just jettison every player we don't think is great.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There has to be issues with him staying. It’s about culture. He’s not good enough, no realistic chance of playing, get rid. Madrid don’t tolerate these kinds of situations and look at where they are.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
There has to be issues with him staying. It’s about culture. He’s not good enough, no realistic chance of playing, get rid. Madrid don’t tolerate these kinds of situations and look at where they are.
This is the first time in a decade I haven't made a Phil Jones thread.

tomaldinho1

Do we really need 3 left backs?
He also covers RB - I just don't get why you think the benefit of selling him would be? He'd get a paltry fee and seems happy being a squad player from what we can tell (which in itself is important). If ETH sees a more promising academy full back who would get time over him, then fine but we sold Laird. He'll likely get F all minutes but we need a squad.

Alemar

No issues with him staying and being a third choice, don't think he has much sell on value and we can't just jettison every player we don't think is great.
Third choice at which position? We have Alvaro Fernandes and Jurado available too as full backs (let alone Alex Telles)

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
You need those players happy to fill in as squad member 21,22,23 and given he will help fulfill part of the HG quota I can imagine there isn't a great rush to move him on. He will get limited minutes in all but the worst injury crisis while lads like Alvaro etc. Go and get some useful loans

dazjoe

Should leave. For FFP getting a decent amount in for Williams, Henderson, and McTominay goes a long way to help out.
Dalot can fill in at LB if an emergency.

tomaldinho1

Third choice at which position? We have Alvaro Fernandes and Jurado available too as full backs (let alone Alex Telles)
Telles we’re trying to sell. Read my post re youth players addressed that.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Another stupid contract by united, it’s very likely he will never earn close to this sort of wage again. That is how massively overpaid he is and why we will be stuck with him until it expires at the end of the season.

Idxomer

He isn't a choice anywhere, because he's a bit shit and looked even worse than usual in PL2 last season.

He'll just coast another year as a Manchester United player before fading into obscurity.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He's proper shite and we'd be in serious trouble if he's ever called on to play. He's on stupid wages for his ability too IIRC
He showed at Norwich that he’s an Championship, low-PL player. He should really have been sold (for whatever you could get) then. No chance he’d ever be one you would regret selling. Maybe the wages were a problem because of the contract he got put on.

IrishRedDevil

I forgot he existed.

All the talk about all our other outgoing players, yet his name is never mentioned anywhere.

I read on another thread that his wage is £65k per week, which is ridiculous, and must be the reason we are stuck with him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He was reportedly on 40 k base and 65 k including bonus. Still a lot and as he hardly plays he will be difficult to sell with those wages, so maybe another loan.

Marwood

On a silly contract but I still quite like him as a player. Not sure Malacia is much better if at all.

Obviously there have been issues with him off the pitch. It started under Ole and seems to have continued last season.

ThanksBoss26

His manager at Norwich is now at Leeds, could be one way out.

Beyond that you’d imagine he goes on a free next summer.

Abraxas

Not too bad. Don't see his role here though. Hopefully he can get a half decent move and take his career on.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He looked good, also did well when moved to RB.

NoPace

Hopefully DOFs for other PL clubs
Yeah, seasons are long and he can play both fullback spots, I always figured he'd get a decent move from some team with only 2 prem quality fullbacks for that quality alone. Promote some youngster to be the 4th fullback or use a CB out wide and you've got squad coverage, and how many promoted teams have more than 2 Prem quality fullbacks on the team?

SAFMUTD

He has the right attitude and fight to make it in the premier league. Just not at a top club, I wouldn't mind having him as a rotation option but right now he's overpaid for what he offers and both Malacia and Dalot have a higher ceiling than him so it's better for all parties to move him on.

Either way it's this season or he's going for free next year so hopefully we can get a small fee.