Brandon Williams image 33

Brandon Williams England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

IrishRedDevil

United have a one year option so they will extend that to 2025 as his wages are rumoured to be £60k per week, they can trigger the extension then sell him for £7-8m as he’s another academy product who will represent 100% profit.
Will accept a fiver.

Onerealunited

Williams is injured. He has been with United last few weeks being treated at the club. It was previously announced that he'd go back to Ipswich Town once his treatment is over.

His contract ends this summer but we have an option to extend it with one year. Ipswich Town has a buy option on him but I would be surprized if they trigger that as he hasn't played much for them and to my understanding not been that well performing in the games he has played.

With his reportedly 60k / week wage it would be a stupid business to extend his contract and expect someone to bid for him. We tried to sell him last summer and no one showed interest. Now he is a year older and has not performed at his best in Championship. The chances of getting a decent fee or maybe any fee are significantly low. The best outcome for all involved might be to thank him for all his services and let him leave on a free...

Reactions: Rood

DavelinaJolie

No one is paying £7-8m on Williams whilst he's on £60k a week and one year on his deal.

Best for both parties to let him run down the contract and let him go for free.
Yes. In fact I recall Whitwell said as much regarding the difference between his wages and the means of interested clubs.

Utd moved too quickly to give him a bigger contract based on that season he covered for Shaw, and as a result have had to loan him out each season because he's probably Championship calibre but Championship clubs can't afford him.

dutchred

Antony's petulance could be a problem but I understand what you're saying.
The problem with this is Rashford. He never tracks back. You need someone line Garnacho playing left wing. But Garnacho has has built a good relationship with Dalot so i wouldnt change that. Murray from the under 21 is probably the best bet if we dont risk Amass

Gandalf

I would guess if Ipswich do seal promotion they might offer him a contract as he was playing well for them before he got hurt. He certainly is not getting a new deal out of us and he badly needs to get his act together before he flushes his career away completely.

Chairman Steve

He’s on £65k a week with us? :lol: Just another example of how bad we’ve been run under the Glazer/Woodward regime. He’s got to be on at least double what the top earner at Ipswich is.

Varun1

He’s on £65k a week with us? :lol: Just another example of how bad we’ve been run under the Glazer/Woodward regime. He’s got to be on at least double what the top earner at Ipswich is.
Between him, Varane, Tony, that's going to be a lot of salary saved, as well as the players that will be sold.

Marwood

He's responsible ultimately but we've almost done our best as a club to create his problems.

I remember watching him in the academy/U18's, thinking he looked decent and two mins later he's on 65k a week for no reason at all. Hasn't proved anything.

There is every chance a young lad loses his focus if you do that

Brophs

The One and Only
He's responsible ultimately but we've almost done our best as a club to create his problems.

I remember watching him in the academy/U18's, thinking he looked decent and two mins later he's on 65k a week for no reason at all. Hasn't proved anything.

Cost of living crisis means guys like Williams have got to be on at least sixty five large a week. If you’re huffing 370 balloons a day, that shit ain’t free.

Oranges038

30 points to get disqualified from driving.

Better banning him off the roads for life..

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Pound for pound must be one of the worst contracts we've given out in the last 10 years. Then again probably wouldn't make the top 10.

thisisnottaken1

He’s a very silly boy.

Absolutely. Once again, the toxic culture at the club fomented by the Glazers has brought out the worst in the kid.

Yakuza_devils

65K per week for him and we are wondering why a club with such a huge revenues is struggling with FFP.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Every time this thread is bumped, I think to myself "he did something stupid again, didn't he?"

Sure enough...

Pughnichi

How is this guy still at the club? And on 65k. Madness.

to be fair to him, he isn’t going to sign for anyone when he can head out on loan and pick that money up. And even we aren’t that stupid to renew on similar wage

Released in the summer

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can I be the 100th to say it...

65k a week??! :lol:

Then you suddenly think, hang on, what are the 20 or so players who are well above him in the pecking order on. Actually no, don't answer that.

Would genuinely love a conversation with whoever decided to offer that and ask how on earth they went in that high when he'd probably have signed for 15k as no-one would else would pay him that.

PSV

Well, realistically it both is and isn't. If you detach completely it's obviously ludicrous, but comparatively it's not that crazy. It just hasn't worked out the way we hoped.

If we look at the other defenders that season where he renewed you've got AWB on 90k, Lindelof on 120k, Shaw on 150k and Maguire on 190k.

https://www.redcafe.net/players/2019-20/all - The Caf (as a whole) gave him a 6.0 that season when he had his renewal, which puts him at or above the players mentioned so he clearly had a decent season leading up to it.

I know in the past contracts that raised your wage based on appearances were used a lot, and it probably would have made a lot of sense with this guy, but I'm not that sure they are all that common anymore.

whitbyviking

He’d had a decent season, was a product of the academy and looked like he had a future at the club. In theory £65k was a cheap gamble for the club on him really selling up, in reality we’ve been bitten badly by another bad attitude

Robbie Boy

He’d had a decent season, was a product of the academy and looked like he had a future at the club. In theory £65k was a cheap gamble for the club on him really selling up, in reality we’ve been bitten badly by another bad attitude
Mate, he never looked good enough. Handing him a contract on that kind of money was utter madness.

OleGunnar20

Mate, he never looked good enough. Handing him a contract on that kind of money was utter madness.
Yeah it was mental. I was all for him staying at the time but as another poster said above - 15-20k would surely have been more than he could have got elsewhere. Its just horrible negotiating.

whitbyviking

That’s why I speculated that it was a theoretical gamble to give him a big ish contract. He might have kicked on. £65k isn’t huge for a starting or backup left-back by our standards. We’ve been shafted for a lot more by mediocre players

Roboc7

There was never any need to give him that kind of money, it’s fair enough he got a new deal but it was pure incompetence he was given so much. I think the idiots in charge probably did see it as a cheap gamble but it was a gamble they didn’t need to make.

whitbyviking

There was never any need to give him that kind of money, it’s fair enough he got a new deal but it was pure incompetence he was given so much. I think the idiots in charge probably did see it as a cheap gamble but it was a gamble they didn’t need to make.
I agree, not excusing what they did, just attempting to get my head around what their reasoning was.

Golden Nugget

Not sure what happened to him. He wasn’t great, but he was a good enough player and under Ole it felt like he was one of the players that gave their all, and could become a decent squad player, like O’Shea, as he could cover both fullback roles.

The new contract must have killed his hard work and effort as he’s not looked the same since

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well, realistically it both is and isn't. If you detach completely it's obviously ludicrous, but comparatively it's not that crazy. It just hasn't worked out the way we hoped.

If we look at the other defenders that season where he renewed you've got AWB on 90k, Lindelof on 120k, Shaw on 150k and Maguire on 190k.

https://www.redcafe.net/players/2019-20/all - The Caf (as a whole) gave him a 6.0 that season when he had his renewal, which puts him at or above the players mentioned so he clearly had a decent season leading up to it.

I know in the past contracts that raised your wage based on appearances were used a lot, and it probably would have made a lot of sense with this guy, but I'm not that sure they are all that common anymore.
As a young lad making his breakthrough there is no way he should have been put on that contract. Half of if with a promise to look at a possible raise in 2 years time depending on his progress- that would have been motivation to keep working hard

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
AWB on 90 and Lindelof on 120 is also a joke. Prove yourselves
You just had to make it about Lindelof, didn't you?

Just messing... I actually completely agree. Our entire wage structure has been distorted to the point that even our backups and squad players would be the highest earners (by a distance) at most clubs in the top 3-4 leagues.