Brendan Rodgers - a re-evaluation?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I think he is a really good manager, what lets him down is his David Brent personality with the media. I think he will have another year with Celtic then will land back in the PL. From our perspective he was a figure of fun but he definitely is a good coach.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I've seen plenty of posts from Liverpool fans on this forum, never mind what I've heard and seen elsewhere, that are already suggesting that a challenge for top 4 would be a good season. I don't think that's unreasonable, but the goalposts have moved post-Rodgers. The expectation was that by landing a manager with the reputation Klopp had (rightly or wrongly) was that you were going to break the top 4 with relative ease. It's now becoming apparent that it may not be quite as simple as that.
Challenging for and getting top four would be an acceptable season assuming we actually build on it. Challenging for top four and missing out would be another failure. Not a sackable offence in my opinion, but not what I would call a good season.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Challenging for and getting top four would be an acceptable season assuming we actually build on it. Challenging for top four and missing out would be another failure. Not a sackable offence in my opinion, but not what I would call a good season.
That's fair if you ignore the context of when and how Klopp got the job. He was brought into to make an immediate impact, failed but got by because of the cup run(s).

I think it's important to consider that your form is, in all likelihood, going to have to improve dramatically for you to even be in realistic contention for much longer, never mind by the end of the season. Should it improve enough to keep you within touching distance by the final 2 or 3 games, regardless of the outcome, it'd be unreasonable to sack Klopp. However, as you say, if it's not built on next season and you miss out again, then the decision is there to be made despite any potential cup success. If you drop out of contention before then, I think the decision could be made come May.

AR87

This is how I view it as well. Next season is make or break for Klopp as far as getting CL football imo. I'd also say that any manager at Liverpool will find it hard to land top-4 if they aren't backed further in the transfer market by FSG.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
This is how I view it as well. Next season is make or break for Klopp as far as getting CL football imo. I'd also say that any manager at Liverpool will find it hard to land top-4 if they aren't backed further in the transfer market by FSG.
Keeping in mind what thread we're in, do you not think the owners/board will have made themselves look somewhat stupid if Klopp's afforded yet another season to qualify for the CL when Rodgers was given 1 + 8 games?

Honestly, it increasingly looks like they considered getting rid of Rodgers post-2014/15, bottled it and said they'd give him another year, only to shit themselves at the realisation that Klopp was available and sack him anyway.

AR87

Keeping in mind what thread we're in, do you not think the owners/board will have made themselves look somewhat stupid if Klopp's afforded yet another season to qualify for the CL when Rodgers was given 1 + 8 games?

Honestly, it increasingly looks like they considered getting rid of Rodgers post-2014/15, bottled it and said they'd give him another year, only to shit themselves at the realisation that Klopp was available and sack him anyway.
The owners/board probably just believe in Klopp more than Rodgers because he has a better pedigree when he took over the job. I agree the standards set for Rodgers and Klopp wouldn't be even in this scenario, butI'd imagine that Klopp's star as a manager and pull with the media play out better in the eyes of FSG than Rodgers ever did even after his near title run.

Imo their biggest mistake with Rodgers was the transfer committee. If you're going to lay the successes and failures of the club on one man's doorstep then he should be allowed more freedom to address his squad in the transfer market.

ijc

The only difference between Klopp and Rodgers is that Klopp presents himself as a nice guy just cos he laughs with journalists (his behaviour during games shows he's an arrogant man and gets away with it everytime). On the other hand Rodgers was the boring man who only spoke about character but was the only manager who actually came close to get the title to Anfield in recent times. Benitez may also have a say on that but he cracked up :lol: whereas a slip cost Rodgers the title.

Mindhunter

This is more of a Klopp Devaluation thread that a Rodgers Re-evaluation.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Absolutely hated the Pool side that almost won the title and it wasn't to do with the fact that they're Pool. Guess that's the biggest compliment I can give them, they were absolutely sensational to watch.
I shudder just thinking about it....uurrgghh! Can you imagine, them winning the league, the same fecking year David Moyes was running us into the ground? There is a god.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's a great achievement, breaking the record of 26 domestic games unbeaten. I'm not saying he's not doing an excellent job, but just for context, in the 2013/14 season, Neil Lennon went undefeated in the league until the end of February, only lost 1 game all season and managed to go 13 wins in a row without conceding a single goal. Not many would consider him a top manager.
Yeah, but Rodgers did very well at his previous clubs before Celtic, so it goes towards the evaluation of his managerial skills.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Re-evaluating a guy who's managing a horse competing with chiwawas? :wenger:

0161_UNITED

This instantly reminded me of earlier in the season, those Jose vs Moyes vs LvG threads with win/loss ratios and shots on target. I'm sure the anti-Mourinho lot are still moving around and lurking behind bushes ready to storm the compound again once United's results slip.

Klopp's hit a low point at Pool right now, and instantly gets compared to his predecessor. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I imagine he'll recover.

There's too much of a tendency for some to either want to regard managers at top clubs as either God-like geniuses to be worshipped or bumbling, incompetent imbeciles to be loathed.

I suppose regarding Rodgers, there's certainly more about him than many think, he did have Swansea, Pool, and Celtic playing quite good football at times. I also think it's not very fair to say he had the best player in the PL (Suarez) or the best player in Scotland (Dembele) and write him off. The all-time greats SAF, Busby, Paisley, Guardiola, etc. tended to not only have the best player in the league, they had squads loaded with world class talents. Certainly doesn't take the shine off them. Rodgers does seem a bit of a muppet though, hard to discount that, and the teeth.

Treble_Winning

A massively overrated manager whose entire career was built on the back of one season in which Suarez and Sturridge played ridiculous football (yet failed to win the league due to Gerrard). Rodgers happened to be in charge that season. He didn't really offer anything new or different, nor did he make Suarez great - he is doing just fine at Barcelona now. Should probably have stayed as an assistant to Jose to continue his training and development. Instead he was in a hurry and got himself exposed, he was out of his depth and is back to his rightful level now.

This instantly reminded me of earlier in the season, those Jose vs Moyes vs LvG threads with win/loss ratios and shots on target. I'm sure the anti-Mourinho lot are still moving around and lurking behind bushes ready to storm the compound again once United's results slip.

Klopp's hit a low point at Pool right now, and instantly gets compared to his predecessor. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I imagine he'll recover.

There's too much of a tendency for some to either want to regard managers at top clubs as either God-like geniuses to be worshipped or bumbling, incompetent imbeciles to be loathed.

I suppose regarding Rodgers, there's certainly more about him than many think, he did have Swansea, Pool, and Celtic playing quite good football at times. I also think it's not very fair to say he had the best player in the PL (Suarez) or the best player in Scotland (Dembele) and write him off. The all-time greats SAF, Busby, Paisley, Guardiola, etc. tended to not only have the best player in the league, they had squads loaded with world class talents. Certainly doesn't take the shine off them. Rodgers does seem a bit of a muppet though, hard to discount that, and the teeth.
The all time greats went out and developed/brought that world class talent in.

Robertd0803

I think the problem was the 2013-2014 season inflated his reputation somewhat massively. He was always a decent/good manager but Liverpool weren't really doing much before that season even with Suarez. They just clicked in 2013/2014 and everything fell in to place and they should really have won the league.

He is doing very much what you would expect at Celtic.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Wouldn't mind him as England manager tbh.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I blame it on SteveJ for hounding him out of the liverpool job. Comes across a nice guy but is just a cnut like the rest of us
He is, but, be fair - he did a lot of work for charity.

Oh, you meant me... :D

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I think he is a really good manager, what lets him down is his David Brent personality with the media. I think he will have another year with Celtic then will land back in the PL. From our perspective he was a figure of fun but he definitely is a good coach.
I think he'll stay for 10 in a row. We'll be on 6 at the end of this season.

poleglass red

I like Rodgers, think he's an excellent coach. Will he ever get a top job again ie top 4 team in premier league, I'm not so sure. I think he would be a great manager for team in top 10 trying to break the top 4. A club like West Ham would be perfect for him. His teams always play football and are great to watch attacking wise. Yes sure defensively he probably isn't the greatest, but neither is Klopp and if you believe all the hype in the British press, he's the best manager of all time. He is good at nuturing players coming through the youth systems, his scouting network is impressive, he picks up bargains. He's still pretty young for a manager. At the minute he is being wise. He still has managerial kudos in England from his time at Liverpool, he'll pick up the Chamipons league experieince he needs at Celtic. He is building his cv. One thing he got criticised for at Liverpool was his treatment of Stevie Me. He dropped the undropable for that Real Madrid game. When you break that down, he is only doing what Jose is doing to Rooney now and to a lesser extent what Pep did to Aguero in the bayern game. Gerard like Rooney was done, his subsequent strop by going to play in MLS proved that, he couldn't even shine in that.I think some Liverpool fans are looking back on this period and thinking Rodgers was right on that call. Are Liverpool in a better place now under Klopp, I am not so sure. I think Klopp's personality papers over a lot of cracks. They still have huge defensive issues. Like under Rodgers they have no viable Plan B. When it works it looks great, when it doesn't it is terrible as we have seen in 2017 to date

djembatheking

Celtic would win the league with Big Sam , Pardew or Moyes so can`t really judge Rodgers until he accepts a challenge in a league where it is not a given to see if he can nearly win something again .

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
A horse that drew both CL group stage games against Man City.
Yet still finished last in the UCL GS. He was 5 points clear of Chelsea (6 City who had a game in hand) with 3 games to go and he completely bottled it. A guy who does s..t like he did to f..k up something that was so close is not worthy of recognition in my eyes. And you just have to watch Being Liverpool to see what an idiot he is :wenger:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Yet still finished last in the UCL GS. He was 5 points clear of Chelsea (6 City who had a game in hand) with 3 games to go and he completely bottled it. A guy who does s..t like he did to f..k up something that was so close is not worthy of recognition in my eyes. And you just have to watch Being Liverpool to see what an idiot he is :wenger:
Tbf his captain bottled it. There was only so much he was going to get out of that average side.

Yeah, his charisma and character are fake, his entire personality is fake, I'm not saying the guy is world class but you can't blame the collapse entirely on him, the players take the blame too. He did incredible to get the team playing that way for the entire season too.

Cantona_Forever

Still can't believe they threw that season away like that. Thinks if CP game came first the situation would be much more different. At that time they could beat CP away easily (like demonstrated when they're 3-0 up). Beat CP and they will ride the morale and could hold Chelsea to a draw. Then City will have no chance at all.

Is Klopp better than Rodgers? Thinks at the end of the season we will know. He's a more charismatic character that's for sure.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
His 2013/14 season definitely does get looked upon in a harsher light than it should. He did have an extremely talented forward in Suarez leading the line, but it's worth noting Suarez really started to consistently score and hit his best form when Rodgers arrived. Whether that's coincidental or not is questionable, though. Irrespective of that though he still managed to get the best out of Sturridge, and had Sterling and Henderson playing some of their best football. Additionally, it was probably Gerrard's last good season for the club.

Obviously it's difficult to judge a manager on the SPL, but even if he's in an extremely easy job he's still done fantastically domestically; won every single game bar one, already got a domestic cup under his belt, and may win a domestic treble. That should be the expectations he's meeting this season but going unbeaten and winning a treble, all while playing good football, would be fantastic, and I'm not sure it's something that's been done before. Celtic won the treble in 00/01 and Rangers won it in 02/03 in recent times. Celtic won 23 or their first 24 games in 03/04 (drawing the opener) but had some slip-ups as the season went on and finished on 98 points. Right now you'd expect Rodgers to surpass that and break 100 points.

His problem, though, is obviously setting up a team defensively. He can produce good attacking football, but his teams concede at the back and can lack discipline. Celtic's away loss to Barca this season demonstrated that. They were going to lose either way, granted, but their defence genuinely looked awful at times and was utterly torn apart. Obviously he's not got that problem in the SPL though, because he can generally just attack and be guaranteed a win.

He's still young, too. 44-years old and has a lot of experience under his belt. You'd imagine he'll continue to learn as he develops. He's certainly much, much better than the SPL, and would make a solid manager for a mid-table side at the very least, and could possibly have another go at a big club.

LouisDanGaal

His recent interview on the BBC was fantastic, basically accuses everyone who doesn't respect the Scottish league as a great league as ignorant. Also says its a very very competitive league:lol: this after winning 26, drawing 1 and losing 0 this season is it. Honestly he seems to have no self-awareness, I miss him in the prem.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
His recent interview on the BBC was fantastic, basically accuses everyone who doesn't respect the Scottish league as a great league as ignorant. Also says its a very very competitive league:lol: this after winning 26, drawing 1 and losing 0 this season is it. Honestly he seems to have no self-awareness, I miss him in the prem.
And being in charge of the team that's won the last 5, and 10 of the last 15.

Whiteside's Onside

Am I right in saying they have the 5th highest wage bill in the league?

They are were they should be.

The mistake he made was that expectations were raised after the start they had.

If they finish in the top four that will be a good season for them.

He is a good manager I look at that team and it's the most average team I can ever remember them having to even get half a tune out of them is good going.

Whiteside's Onside

Probably should have added that was a response to Klopps performance.

Rodgers will end up at arsenal or spurs shrewd move going to Celtic can boost up the old cv his only other options were mid ranking premier league teams after the Liverpool experience.

Managing two of the biggest teams in the UK he will have gained some serious experience in dealing with big club expectation.

Good career move and he will be a better manager for the experience and up at arsenal or spurs

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
He completely changed his style of play at Liverpool. Signing Benteke, Lambert and Balotelli was what got him sacked, basically.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
He's just done the domestic treble in his first season in Scotland and gone invincible.

He's a laughable personality which makes it easy to dismiss him, but he is a good coach. Liverpool were incredible going forward in 2013/14, there were shades of that Liverpool in the first half of this season.

The only thing is that he's arguably even worse than Klopp at organizing a defense. He was brave to attack us in our own home earlier this season; brave but foolish, and we battered them 7-0.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He completely changed his style of play at Liverpool. Signing Benteke, Lambert and Balotelli was what got him sacked, basically.
This. He did a very good job the first two seasons. 13/14 is probably the most entertaining season I've ever seen from us.

In his 3rd, and most especially what he got of his 4th, he couldn't handle the pressure though and basically departed from the principles that had worked for him previously in favour of houllier style football where the midfielders never break the lines and fullbacks stay back.

That's not a forgivable sin when you can't pull off the 1-0 you are going for.

Also, playing the reserves against real Madrid. We basically entered the competition to sully our reputation a bit, then promptly fecked off.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He was a good manager who was suddenly underrated by Liverpool fans when he left them which happens to anyone who leaves the greatest club in the land.

Apparently he only did good due to Suarez, and got lucky. Nice to see him rebuilding his reputation, he's still a very decent coach. Any English team looking for a rebuild with a decent budget should be looking out for him.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Rodgers unbeaten domestic season is the first time ever in Scottish football history.

johnamiri

Supports
Liverpool
When the shit hit the fan he threw his assistant Pascoe and coach Mike Marsh under the bus which more or less says I blame them and the poor results and buy were nothing to do with me. He should have accepted responsibility. He bought Benteke when he was told by several people that he wasn't a Liverpool player. I think almost anybody off this forum could manage a team like Celtic and win the Scottish league. The orange tan and pinging white teeth were enough to make most people ask questions

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
His biggest "mistake" at Liverpool was that he overachieved massively in his second season. Their finish in 2014-15 was basically about par for the players he had and considering the losses of Suárez and, for most of the season, Sturridge, as well as having his hands tied in having to continue to select an absolutely useless Gerrard he did alright.