Brendan Rodgers - a re-evaluation?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yes because Liverpool wasn't such a brilliant team and he got them playing above their usual level. That's what, you know, happens at a club which, like, never challenges for the title.

What now? Are you confused going about your day or something?
Well if out of three seasons under the same manager they were amazing just for one then it's quite difficult to attribute it to the said manager, especially if they haven't won anything that season. Then you look at how their careers went afterwards (Sterling and Suarez, Gerrard fecked off to the USA so nobody cares), Suarez is doing quite well at Barcelona, Sterling is having probably the best season in his career at City, Brenton is at Celtic.

I don't know if it's confusing for you or not but I might have problems attributing their form surge to Rodgers. I'd say they hit the heights they did irrespective of him.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well if out of three seasons under the same manager they were amazing just for one then it's quite difficult to attribute it to the said manager, especially if they haven't won anything that season. Then you look at how their careers went afterwards (Sterling and Suarez, Gerrard fecked off to the USA so nobody cares), Suarez is doing quite well at Barcelona, Sterling is having probably the best season in his career at City, Brenton is at Celtic.

I don't know if it's confusing for you or not but I might have problems attributing their form surge to Rodgers. I'd say they hit the heights they did irrespective of him.
Suarez just took a little while to settle. Same as he did at Barca. Admittedly, Rodgers can't take credit for signing him but he sure as hell did a great job building a team around Suarez that would get the best out of him.

Sterling is obviously a difficult player to manage. Maybe he's a bit fragile, mentally? Whatever, Rodgers can take credit as being one of only two managers to have him playing at his very best and the only other manager to achieve that is widely acknowledged as being quite good at this management lark.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Basically the mentality around Rodgers is this:

All his success: Luck, external factors, definitely not attributable (is that a word?) to him.
All his failures: Lol Brentan sucks.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I think that United's form post Fergie is proof that team's don't maintain form in spite of a manager.
Apples, oranges here really.

Basically the mentality around Rodgers is this:

All his success: Luck, external factors, definitely not attributable (is that a word?) to him.
All his failures: Lol Brentan sucks.
I actually rate his job at Swansea, it's ever since he become Liverpool's manager it became obvious that 1) Swansea is more or less his level indeed 2) he's a major cock.

Suarez just took a little while to settle. Same as he did at Barca. Admittedly, Rodgers can't take credit for signing him but he sure as hell did a great job building a team around Suarez that would get the best out of him.

Sterling is obviously a difficult player to manage. Maybe he's a bit fragile, mentally? Whatever, Rodgers can take credit as being one of only two managers to have him playing at his very best and the only other manager to achieve that is widely acknowledged as being quite good at this management lark.
Don't know about it mate, Suarez's first season was with Dogleash iirc, his first season under Brenny was pretty shit too iirc, with Sterling I guess that it was the system that helped him a lot (which, actually, can be attributed to Rodgers as a good job) where he was more or less absolved of any defensive duties plus I forgot about Sturridge. This is another thing really, I think that when they came second he wasn't constantly injured which obviously helped the case too.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Don't know about it mate, Suarez's first season was with Dogleash iirc, his first season under Brenny was pretty shit too iirc, with Sterling I guess that it was the system that helped him a lot (which, actually, can be attributed to Rodgers as a good job) where he was more or less absolved of any defensive duties plus I forgot about Sturridge. This is another thing really, I think that when they came second he wasn't constantly injured which obviously helped the case too.
Another player with major question marks about his mentality/dedication who Rodgers managed to get a lot of good performances out of. Something that cuddly, smiley Klopp has since failed to replicate. I was cringing like anything at all his "name in the envelope" bollox and sappy middle management speak but all the evidence points towards him actually being very effective at getting the most out of the players available.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Brendan showed be had potential when he was with us, but was criminally underrated by Utd fans. However he was adamant he didn't want to sign Coutinho and Sturridge so the board went over his head anyway.

Then he nearly won the league with a pleasing playing style regardless of Suarez, Coutinho and Sturridge being a large chunk of the reason. So far so good. But then once he established a playing we all wanted he decided to plonk a Benteke into it. From Pep to Pulis in an instant. But he's young and may learn from this who knows.

One thing's for sure, Utd fans won't know because their swing o meter has gone from underrating him at Liverpool to vastly overestimating him out of Liverpool.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Another player with major question marks about his mentality/dedication who Rodgers managed to get a lot of good performances out of. Something that cuddly, smiley Klopp has since failed to replicate. I was cringing like anything at all his "name in the envelope" bollox and sappy middle management speak but all the evidence points towards him actually being very effective at getting the most out of the players available.
Thing that I've got an obvious gripe with is the time span he managed to get 'the best out of them'. It was just one season, when they didn't play in Europe, puzzles basically fallen into the right place for him, he still managed to feck it up big time.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Apples, oranges here really.

I actually rate his job at Swansea, it's ever since he become Liverpool's manager it became obvious that 1) Swansea is more or less his level indeed 2) he's a major cock.

Definitely not a fan of the person Rodgers, but he's a better coach than the standard Alan Pardew, Big Sam, Roy Hodgon lot imo.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
To be fair to Liverpool, they gave him more than enough time and apart from one wonder season, he didn't do that well. He did lay some foundations in terms of playing style which made it easier for Klopp to pick up from.

Nevertheless, it was his first major role and unlike Moyes, he does have something about him, a more modern vision of the game and is probably worth gambling on now that he older and possibly wiser.

Ultimately Liverpool were right to let him go at that stage of his career as he was out of depth and his managerial toolkit was too limited for the situation he found himself in.

His next move should be abroad to a european side, knocking on the door of the CL or thereabouts and steadily build his reputation there if he can.

Boycott

I rate him for the same reasons I do Pochettino - he has shown he can improve players and get them fitting into an aesthetic style of play and he puts faith in young players allowing them to make mistakes to get better. At Liverpool expectations were unrealistic - particularly of the back of 13/14 - so he was a victim of his own over achievement in some regard. He also made his own big mistakes in the window which is hard to defend because of how quickly he discarded the signings. With that experience he is better off. It's easy to belittle his record at Celtic. Winning the league is a given - Ronny Deila won the league each time he was there. But the style they play which when put into practice against European teams is a lot better. Before they were getting well beaten by teams from parts of Europe which also isn't too strong. Molde was the turning point for Deila. Now while They don't have the quality to match up but actually if you watch the games they still try and play football not just park the bus and keep the score down. They will go to the Europa League in most likelihood and we'll see how they fare there. Celtic will never become a serious contender in Europe again but that doesn't mean they can't try. If you aim for the best then even if you fall well short you'll still have something to enjoy on the journey.

Lougie86

Supports
Partick Thistle
While I agree to an extent with the points made about it being a one team league etc. Rodgers has done a fantastic job.

Yes Celtic should win the league every year but the style of play and to go unbeaten for that period of time is most certainly an achievement as well as the massive improvement in both European performances and results (Red Imps aside).

But I think the biggest thing he has done at Celtic which has proven that he is a decent manager is the improvement of players already there. Forest, Armstrong, McGregor all looked lost previously but are now mainstays of the team. Brown and Griffiths have both moved up a level to play the best football of their careers. Roberts and Tierney are two young players he had brought on.

Add this to a few excellent signings (Dembele, Sinclair) and I think it's fair to say he's done well.

Reactions: SteveJ

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ronny D won the league and league cup double with Celtic ffs

If Brendan wants a proper job he needs to move back to the PL. would have been a great fit for west ham

buchansleftleg

I used to think he was a good manager, then i saw him massively talking up Jonjo Shelvey as the "next big thing" and began to seriously doubt his judgement. However he is doing well at Celtic so maybe i misjudged him.

Was he maybe talking up Shelvey as he wanted Stevie G to slip away quietly?

Needham

Ronny D won the league and league cup double with Celtic ffs

If Brendan wants a proper job he needs to move back to the PL. would have been a great fit for west ham
Agreed. What bodes really ill for West Ham is the way their owners didn't even wait to send out a semi positive message to the fans by trying something at least part audacious by attempting to hook Rodgers or someone. They look absolutely out of touch, even Everton are flirting with rumours about managers out of their league. Rodgers could have got West Ham up the league and maybe brought one or two Celtic players with him. Unless he really fecks up in his private life, he'll definitely get another Premier League job. Dreamland for him would be Arsenal.

Mindhunter

Lost 3-0 away to Zenith. Now out of the only meaningful competition they play in.

James Peril

Going to Celtic will always say a lot about Rodgers. He is a bit like Moyes, believing he is better than he is - but accompanied by zero charisma. You need charisma at a big club and you need to handle big players, no big player would take Moyes or Rodgers seriously. Rodgers doing ok at Pool got him fired, Klopp doing ok at Pool gives him undeserved applause - he is yet again winning nothing. Difference is charisma.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Don't know if it's anything to do with charisma or just a failure to be able to successfully adapt his tactics against better opposition.

Claude Cat

Supports
Liverpool
Going to Celtic will always say a lot about Rodgers. He is a bit like Moyes, believing he is better than he is - but accompanied by zero charisma. You need charisma at a big club and you need to handle big players, no big player would take Moyes or Rodgers seriously. Rodgers doing ok at Pool got him fired, Klopp doing ok at Pool gives him undeserved applause - he is yet again winning nothing. Difference is charisma.
I shouldn’t expect anything different from a United forum, but do you seriously think how Liverpool are doing this season is at all comparable to Rodgers last 18 months? Honestly?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Really hard to assess the job he's doing there. He's done better than that Deila fella, what with the unbeaten run and huge points tally, but then that's maybe how they should have been doing all along.

At least Rangers and Aberdeen are significantly closer to him than we are to City. There might even be some semblance of a title in the next year or two. If there is that might reflect badly on him itself but at least we'd see how he handles the competition.

It kind of leaves Europe as a big indicator as to where he is but that's difficult in itself. It's got to be hard from going out attacking teams, being overwhelming favourites every week for a game to actually having to defend. It's similar to when a team to comes up but on an exaggerated level because at least a team winning promotion has all summer to adjust and knows that they might be on the back foot week in, week out, whereas with with Celtic it's just going be for these European games.

Ultimately we're talking cup competitions too which don't always give the best sign of where a manger or team is at. Group stages and two legged ties are better than one offs though. They were never going to qualify with City and Barcelona in their group last season or Bayern and PSG this. Suppose they did better to finish 3rd instead of 4th this season although they didn't get any more points and the 3-0 away win in Anderlecht may have been a freak result for all I know as they lost to them at home. They then go out to Zenit. Still, in qualifying for the group stage of the champs league it's better than Deila bloke did again.

Last edited:

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
Honesty think he's an extremely good manager who also does a fantastic David Brent impression

As for his "achievements" at Celtic. They are utterly meaningless. Celtic are shite. They are playing sides who in the main (maybe even all of them) wouldn't get out of league 1 though. In Europe they play quality teams far better than themselves. Odd plucky results due in my opinion to the fact they have great confidence from winning every week. Followed by actually going out early every time

There's very little he could do at Celtic for people to be sure he's doing a good jobs. He'd have to go far in Europe and that would be miraculous

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
The feck is he still doing in Celtic? He can spend the next 10 years there and win everything again and again there is to win in Scotland but it wont mean a thing. Get back to the big leagues Brenton.

Minimalist

Rodgers doesn’t have charisma? Heard it all now.

Far from his biggest managerial flaws.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Just watch being Liverpool, some on YouTube.

Hard to believe he's really a football manager, comes across as a parody!

The state of British football managers, its embarrassing. Like pint of wine "Big" Sam, how do they continue to get work?

Tarrou

Just watch being Liverpool, some on YouTube.

Hard to believe he's really a football manager, comes across as a parody!

The state of British football managers, its embarrassing. Like pint of wine "Big" Sam, how do they continue to get work?
Big Sam will keep your struggling side in the PL. Not hard to see how he keeps getting jobs.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
That comes across as a pretty ignorant quote. Celtic is a massive club and he's been under constant and intense scrutiny since day one up there. The quality of the opposition and the victorious campaigns are not really the point, I don't think. He's recovered from that last few months at Liverpool where he looked defensive and lacking in confidence. He's done an excellent job at Celtic, got them playing great football. I think any Celtic fan will back that up. He's earned the right to have another go at a big Premier League club. I think it was an astute move for him. Of course, the more success he has, the move unbearable he becomes. If he could just shut the feck up, particularly when he's winning, I would have more respect for him.

Ole90+3

The feck is he still doing in Celtic? He can spend the next 10 years there and win everything again and again there is to win in Scotland but it wont mean a thing. Get back to the big leagues Brenton.
Tell that to Celtic fans.

Rodgers is being paid a lot of money at Celtic. Celtic are still one of the biggest and widely supported clubs in the world. There are much less prestigious jobs in the premier league.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yup amazing :p. You could put a 15 year old in charge of Celtic and they'd still win the league

The SPFL has sadly become a joke of a league
As I say, that's not the point. Ronny won the league with them. Ask a Celtic match goer who has done the better job.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Tell that to Celtic fans.

Rodgers is being paid a lot of money at Celtic. Celtic are still one of the biggest and widely supported clubs in the world. There are much less prestigious jobs in the premier league.
Unfortunately no one gives a shit about what the fans think. Its the general mentality in the footballing world that if you are managing in Scotland it aint a real challenge so winning 10-15 trophies over a few year period isnt worth much.

Hughie77

Good coach, not a good manager. He had some great players at pool, but the ones he bought were no good. I don't think he bought Coutinio..? And Surez? He went to Swansea were he made his name and coached players that were already ready from Roberto Martinez squad..he's probably at his level at Celtic, who were in control of there tie in Europa but lost 3-0...