Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

SAFMUTD

I'd take Rodgers here if Solskjaer is to be replaced but I don't think Ole has done enough to be sacked pending we drop out of the top four.
It seems managers have to earn their sack instead of earning their job. Ole hasnt done enough to be sacked, how about do enough to earn more time?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Great manager and I’d take him here in a heart beat. Had Liverpool playing scintillating football and in all honestly, should have won them the league. I mean a fecking slip did him in. It was written in the stars and there’s not much one can do about that.

passing-wind

It seems managers have to earn their sack instead of earning their job. Ole hasnt done enough to be sacked, how about do enough to earn more time?
Well I guess that's the owners view maybe waiting out his contract renewal until top four is confirmed.

One area Solskjaer keeps failing is not comprehending that time is working against him. The managers seat will become more hot with pressure given the more that's spent. So the fans persistence for him to move forward will be based on glazers backing but at that same conjuncture that will increase the expectation. It's no different to Lampard being applauded finishing top four, spending 100 million the following season and being sacked as a result of the resources he used.

Ole is doing decent at best given the present circumstances of the team but as soon as we spend what I perceive to be 70+ million on either a striker / winger it will edge us closer and closer to the league becoming a minimum expectation. The next 24 months will make or break his career.

Redlyn

Oh no, has it come to wanting Rodgers? Liverpool would just love for us to make that move. As soon as we hit a tough patch the knives will be out with people talking about what he's won. We want to win the League and CL, not top 4 and plucky cup run. Plus his lips are going to fall off any moment for being dry as feck.

SAFMUTD

Well I guess that's the owners view maybe waiting out his contract renewal until top four is confirmed.

One area Solskjaer keeps failing is not comprehending that time is working against him. The managers seat will become more hot with pressure given the more that's spent. So the fans persistence for him to move forward will be based on glazers backing but at that same conjuncture that will increase the expectation. It's no different to Lampard being applauded finishing top four, spending 100 million the following season and being sacked as a result of the resources he used.

Ole is doing decent at best given the present circumstances of the team but as soon as we spend what I perceive to be 70+ million on either a striker / winger it will edge us closer and closer to the league becoming a minimum expectation. The next 24 months will make or break his career.
I completely agree, the "rebuilding" narrative is washing off we cant keep talking about rebuilding forever at some point titles are to be demanded.

bsCallout

Incredible that people want to rate a manager who's team is behind us in the league, got knocked out early in the League Cup and Europa League, so highly, because he beat a United team with less rest. With a squad of equal quality too.

always_hoping

That early Europa league exit is turning out to be a blessing in disguise for Rodgers Leicester.

No European football should improve their top 4 hopes and they have a decent chance to win the FA Cup and I'd hope they can win it although Chelsea, City will be favourites to beat them in the final.

Last edited:

bsCallout

3 of his top 5 players were missing today. Everyone was available bar Rashford for us.
Doesn't change my point does it? Might even suggest theirs is better.

We did also have to manage Pogba in the game, and Cavani. Besides the point though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That early Europa league exit is turning out to be a blessing in disguise for Rodgers Leicester.

No European football should improve their 4th hopes and they have a decent chance to win the FA Cup and I'd hope they can win it although Chelsea, City will be favourites to beat them in the final.
Of course it is. This season is impossible to manage across all fronts unless you have a truly deep squad like City's, along with injury luck. 1 cup competition and the league is pretty much the max for everyone else.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'd take him if the only options were Ole or Brendan. That much is clear but still think we can do better.

SAFMUTD

Incredible that people want to rate a manager who's team is behind us in the league, got knocked out early in the League Cup and Europa League, so highly, because he beat a United team with less rest. With a squad of equal quality too.
That should tell you something about the current manager doesnt it?

Some posters want Rodgers because results appart he's proven his teams perform with a well oiled system something we are not seeing with Ole.

432JuanMata

Some posters want Rodgers because results appart he's proven his teams perform with a well oiled system something we are not seeing with Ole.
Spot on. The poster just hyped up Rodgers even more by trying to do the opposite. Leicester are missing some of their best players and he changed the system to compensate. Also he has improved Leicester so much that going out of Europe and being a point behind us(that have a massive budget compared) is seemed a negative. This guy has done excellent everywhere he’s been

AshRK

Won't be my ideal choice. Fans just are reactionary. Brendan would face similar criticism as Ole by us fans. Do I see him as the guy toppling Pep, don't think so.

bsCallout

How can they be performing if they aren't doing better than us?

AshRK

It's called being reactionary. Just some months back people said lampard was doing a better job, then started calling arteta elite, then started jizzing over Jose, then said ancelotti's everton entertaining. This whole idea that let us take anyone over Ole is the worst thing this club can do. Yes rodgers is a good manager but is he the man to take us forward, I really doubt. Doesn't mean I back Ole or trust him either.

SAFMUTD

I think we can agree they perform way better than us, as I said results appart. Or under your premise then we perform better than everyone on the league besides City?

bsCallout

So say Potter isn’t a better manager than Ole unless Brighton finish ahead of us ? Rodgers is only a point behind us with a squad worth less than half ours
Why does it always come back to worth?

Leicester have bought better and are also able to get players cheaper. They are a well run club to the benefit of the manager.

I don't believe Leicester have a worse squad than us, even if you would debate that, it's not clear. Therefore how is each manager doing with their respective squads.

Well we got further in the League cup, the EL and are above them in the table.

Potter isn't even comparable to what's being discussed. No one knows his level, or if he could manage a bigger team.

reddevilz007

One team knows how to play quality football despite missing their top players, the other one has almost all his top players but still plays amateur football.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Because they have worse players who cost less and are paid less. It's performance relative to expectation.

Are West Ham not performing well? Leeds? Aston Villa?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
The fact that you are saying this is proof of how good of job he is doing and his average Ole is. United’s squad is comfortably better. Switch the managers around and United would be miles clear of Leicester.

SAFMUTD

It's called being reactionary. Just some months back people said lampard was doing a better job, then started calling arteta elite, then started jizzing over Jose, then said ancelotti's everton entertaining. This whole idea that let us take anyone over Ole is the worst thing this club can do. Yes rodgers is a good manager but is he the man to take us forward, I really doubt. Doesn't mean I back Ole or trust him either.
People is just desperate for something different, no manager can warrant titles but I think many of us agree Ole has proven he is not good enough to do it so we'll take a chance with pretty much anyone that could.

OrcaFat

Great manager and I’d take him here in a heart beat. Had Liverpool playing scintillating football and in all honestly, should have won them the league. I mean a fecking slip did him in. It was written in the stars and there’s not much one can do about that.
He got sacked from there for not being good enough, didn’t he.

Seriously, his record shows he is good but I don’t want him here. I do think he is a bit overrated but mostly I just don’t like him.

AshRK

People is just desperate for something different, no manager can warrant titles but I think many of us agree Ole has proven he is not good enough to do it so we'll take a chance with pretty much anyone that could.
But that's not how one can attain a top level. I understand people getting frustrated with Ole but I still think getting someone who we all will be doubting in a year's time will not be a smart thing. I do understand if some rate rodgers as a top class manager but I don't.

People rave about his style of football but honestly i never got the jest of it. His side hardly dominates a side or play some scintillating football. Granted I didn't see his celtic side but apart from that Liverpool Gerrard slipping season, his side has always looked laborous on the ball.

Again he is doing a fine job and this is not to say Ole is a better manager but I am not in the camp of hey let us just appoint anyone if that means no more Ole. Trust me one year of rodgers and people will be bored of him too.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Is Rodgers going to take us ahead of Pep n Klopp (with a fully fit squad) ? Not for me.

I don't want Ole to go nor do I think he deserves to. However if you offered me a genuine world class manager who is perfect for us then I'd be fine with him being replaced.

But for Rodgers? Nah. That's a sideways move. He's not better than the clubs managers we are trying to catch.

OrcaFat

Ole proved not good enough to have already won us titles but he hasn’t proven he is not good enough to ever win them. As for taking a chance with pretty much anyone - the idea of that being good for this club is pretty much nonsense.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Not good enough i think. Nagelsmann it is for me
I hope you get your wish. But, are you sure youre not a little enamoured by the more exotic name? I mean, Louis Van Gaal had a continental ring to it. I really dont follow Europea football, unless, its one of the rare(ish) occasions that we are involved in it. I honestly could tell you nothing about this Nagelsman, exept that Spuds and Arsenal forums seem to bee demanding him too. What has he won? Has he got anywhere near winning the EPL? To my knowledge, he has never worked in it. I understand the emotive side of not wanting a rivals cast off, but Rodgers has improved, even in his time with us. Are you really convinced that this German lad is a better bet?

Reactions: Cheimoon

SAFMUTD

But that's not how one can attain a top level. I understand people getting frustrated with Ole but I still think getting someone who we all will be doubting in a year's time will not be a smart thing. I do understand if some rate rodgers as a top class manager but I don't.

People rave about his style of football but honestly i never got the jest of it. His side hardly dominates a side or play some scintillating football. Granted I didn't see his celtic side but apart from that Liverpool Gerrard slipping season, his side has always looked laborous on the ball.

Again he is doing a fine job and this is not to say Ole is a better manager but I am not in the camp of hey let us just appoint anyone if that means no more Ole. Trust me one year of rodgers and people will be bored of him too.
Yes, Im not in the bring Rodgers boat. While I think he'll be an improvement on Ole I dont think he's at a level that can compete with Pep or Klopp. I'd say lets gamble in a revolutionary manager not with a "settled" one.

PoTMS

Rodgers is not the man to take us to the top but he would do a far better job than Ole, there's not a shadow of a doubt about that. I mean unless you're delusional, that is.

mu4c_20le

Good manager but a serial bottler. Spurs is his future, lets see if he can win anything with them or at least bring them back into regular top 4 which is getting tougher every year.

SAFMUTD

Ole proved not good enough to have already won us titles but he hasn’t proven he is not good enough to ever win them. As for taking a chance with pretty much anyone - the idea of that being good for this club is pretty much nonsense.
Hard to argue against a "ever" argument, that same logic could apply to Daniel James he has proven until now he is not good enough to be starting in a top team but hasnt proven he is not good enough to ever be so I guess we should keep him starting. Same logic.

I said pretty much anyone that could, meaning promising managers that could get the title.

bsCallout

The fact that you are saying this is proof of how good of job he is doing and his average Ole is. United’s squad is comfortably better. Switch the managers around and United would be miles clear of Leicester.
What would be your eleven between the two teams?

Chipper

Adulterer.
If Ole was sacked tomorrow he'd be someone I think should be considered, and I do believe he's better than Ole.

Having said that I don't think Ole deserves the sack. Do I have great confidence that Rodgers would win us titles? No, but then I can't really say that of anyone. Mind you, my knowledge of the overseas management scene isn't as good as some, don't really know exactly how good some of the popular German ones are for example, and it does seem to be all about Germany right now.

SAFMUTD

Why does it always come back to worth?

Leicester have bought better and are also able to get players cheaper. They are a well run club to the benefit of the manager.

I don't believe Leicester have a worse squad than us, even if you would debate that, it's not clear. Therefore how is each manager doing with their respective squads.

Well we got further in the League cup, the EL and are above them in the table.

Potter isn't even comparable to what's being discussed. No one knows his level, or if he could manage a bigger team.
There are actually stats used to rate a squad potential/level.

This is one of them:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

They grade a teams offensive and defensive power and gave them an overall rate called SPI (soccer power index). For example ManCity has a 93.7 SPI, Chelsea has a 89.4 SPI, ManUtd has a 87.8 SPI which is the third best tied with Liverpool. Leicester has a 79.3 SPI which is the 7th best in the league.

So there it is an example to back up that objectively Leicester has a weaker squad than us.

bsCallout

There are actually stats used to rate a squad potential/level.

This is one of them:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

They grade a teams offensive and defensive power and gave them an overall rate called SPI (soccer power index). For example ManCity has a 93.7 SPI, Chelsea has a 89.4 SPI, ManUtd has a 87.8 SPI which is the third best tied with Liverpool. Leicester has a 79.3 SPI which is the 7th best in the league.

So there it is an example to back up that objectibly Leicester has a weaker squad than us.
:lol: