Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There are actually stats used to rate a squad potential/level.

This is one of them:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

They grade a teams offensive and defensive power and gave them an overall rate called SPI (soccer power index). For example ManCity has a 93.7 SPI, Chelsea has a 89.4 SPI, ManUtd has a 87.8 SPI which is the third best tied with Liverpool. Leicester has a 79.3 SPI which is the 7th best in the league.

So there it is an example to back up that objectively Leicester has a weaker squad than us.
SPI is calculated on the basis of their performance. Squad value is just one of the pieces that is used as an input in calculating SPI. The others are Shot xG (for and against) and non shot xG (for and against). If anything, it shows that they're overachieving relative to their performances

Crustanoid

Put him in charge of United, under our current ownership, and he would do worse than Ole

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
What would be your eleven between the two teams?

Schmeichel

AWB- Maguire - Fofana - Shaw

Pogba - Ndidi

Barnes - Bruno - Rashford

Vardy/Cavani.

It’s predominantly united players. Let’s not forget that Maguire was excellent for them, it’s only under Ole you would maybe not consider him. Shaw is nailed on based on this season. I think AWB is better defensively than any of their full back options but Castagne is obviously much better going forward. Lindelöf would be my pick after Maguire and Fofana

Tielemans would probably be my choice alongside Pogba but would be a very attacking side with him, so I’d lean towards Ndidi. The options after Tielemans would be Matic and Mctom for me.

Bruno and Rashford are shoe ins, Bruno is obviously better than Maddison and Barnes. Barnes over greenwood out wide but I’d have Greenwood over the likes of Perez. Martial also.

Up front it’s probably Cavani, better career and better this season (despite Vardy having more goals, scored a lot of pens, he’s really struggled the last few months). The next option after these would be Martial.

I think a combined United Xi would have more United players and the backups would consist of United players mainly too.
I think people are reading too much into current performances, which is mainly to do with the managers. United squad is comfortably better in terms of quality, they’re just underperforming due to a poor manager whilst Leicester are over performing.
I would also say that you could argue every Leicester players inclusion and provide a decent argument for not including them compared to their United counterpart. Rashford,Bruno, Pogba, shaw are all pretty much nailed on for anyone’s combined team I’d say.

Crustanoid

Worse scouts, shit transfer negotiation personnel, massive bellend of a CEO, glacial progression in terms of upgrading facilities, stingy money grabbing ownership who prioritise cash over the fortunes on the football pitch, a bunch of injury prone players on massive, long, constantly renewed contracts....that’s the ones on the top of my list

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It’s great reading that he proved yesterday he’s a better coach and knows how to win when needed, yet when last season final game came around he didn’t know shit and lost their top four place when it mattered. Bring that up but it’s because Leicester were in free fall at the times is used as an excuse (under Rogers management mind)

MU655

When Brendan Rodgers took over Leicester, how many people were talking about us signing Ndidi? He was in a team that finished with 52 points and didn't particularly show anything of note.

He has thrived since he became the new manager. This begs the question: do we need the players or the manager?

So many of their players have improved under him: Barnes, Ndidi, Pereira, and now Iheanacho. I think the manager is really the key element here.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
When Brendan Rodgers took over Leicester, how many people were talking about us signing Ndidi? He was in a team that finished with 52 points and didn't particularly show anything of note.

He has thrived since he became the new manager. This begs the question: do we need the players or the manager?

So many of their players have improved under him: Barnes, Ndidi, Pereira, and now Iheanacho. I think the manager is really the key element here.
Ndidi was always a talent

MU655

Ndidi was always a talent
Okay, but what about Soyuncu, Barnes, and Iheanacho? None of these really did anything before he joined. And Ndidi's name has only really become more prominent under Rodgers, so you do have to give him credit.

It was an example of how much a manager can do to improve players. How many people were talking about signing any of these beforehand? You can add Tielemans to the list, as well. The forgotten player at Monaco.

I think in this instance the manager has made those players look far better. I think the reality is that we actually need the manager.

Cassidy

Okay, but what about Soyuncu, Barnes, and Iheanacho? None of these really did anything before he joined. And Ndidi's name has only really become more prominent under Rodgers, so you do have to give him credit.

It was an example of how much a manager can do to improve players. How many people were talking about signing any of these beforehand? You can add Tielemans to the list, as well. The forgotten player at Monaco.

I think in this instance the manager has made those players look far better.
My point was more about you stating no one would hve wanted Ndidi before Rodgers worked with him. Its wrong he was always a talent. Its not to discredit Rodgers who is obviously a very good coach.

Since you asked. Barnes you could see was a talent during his WBA loan, however his development under Rodgers I have to say didnt expect this much this early. I think hes exceptional.

I wanted United to look at Soyuncu before he went to Leicester. His form once he got a chance there didn't surprise me.

Iheanacho, Rodgers got a to take a lot of credit for getting him back to his best, he was always a talent at City and lost his way under Pep who didnt play him

Sylar

Incredible he did this without two of their most attacking players, and he kept Ihenachos form going by continuing to play him rather than taking him out, which theyve benefited from (even with Vardy not scoring).
Barnes, Maddison and Justin missing is quite something.

I said he was unlucky last year because he lost key players and their season crumbled. It would be interesting to see him with a bigger squad (at Liverpool he had a good first team but not much outside of that, especially when they lost suarez).

Ludens the Red

Too right. I don’t think there’s any doubt Leicester are very good at finding talent.

Having watched Barnes and Maddison in the championship I’m not at all surprised to see them where they are now.
But you still need to set things up for them to thrive and to get the right players around them.

But there’s strong and hilarious moving of goalposts on here when it comes to proclaiming Leicester obviously have better players and it started last season.

Pre season 2019/2020 , barely anyone on here called Leicester for top six. Then around November time Leicester being 2nd and above United was “obvious” as “x, y, and z who play for Leicester are much better than x, y and z who play for United”.

The more obvious answer is that Rodgers has had a huge hand in the development of these players and this team.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Rodgers is factually more proven than Ole as a manager. I don't think that's particularly controversial?

Really impressed with what he's doing at Leicester, and have to imagine he'd be top of any list if a position at the traditionally big clubs opened up in the premier league, and if he'd want to leave LCFC at all.

Managing a football club doesn't have to be difficult, it's just that despite all the advantages in the world, Manchester United are bad at it.

mu4c_20le

No he wouldn't. He would do a better. Put Ole in charge of Leicester where he won't be able to demand Sancho and Haaland and see how limited a manager he really is.
No he wouldn't. He's not gonna turn James into an intelligent scoring winger. He's not gonna magically increase Martial's workrate or consistency. He's not gonna grow Matic a new pair of legs. He's not gonna teach Fred how to football. Wan Bissaka will still look clueless as soon as he enters the final third.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
No he wouldn't. He's not gonna turn James into an intelligent scoring winger. He's not gonna magically increase Martial's workrate or consistency. He's not gonna grow Matic a new pair of legs. He's not gonna teach Fred how to football. Wan Bissaka will still look clueless as soon as he enters the final third.
So you're saying Leicester has a better squad than us?

mu4c_20le

So you're saying Leicester has a better squad than us?
I'm saying Ole is overperforming with this squad. You said Rodgers would do better without elaborating. We are 2nd, so how will he do better? Close the gap, or even win the league?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Players can improve with the right coaching.

Lewandowski: "Details in football is what makes the difference. When I just got to Bayern, I trained flat passes with Xabi Alonso. 10/10 of his passes reached me clean while I failed 3 or 4. I wanted to play perfect passes. I practiced it for 3 months and finally it worked. Ten passes, bam bam bam"

UnofficialDevil

I'm saying Ole is overperforming with this squad. You said Rodgers would do better without elaborating. We are 2nd, so how will he do better? Close the gap, or even win the league?
Overperfoming with this squad? :lol: that's a new one. If you mean like in the way Greece won the Euro then yes, cause that's the type of football we are playing .
He is 3 points behind us with an inferior squad.
I'm saying Rodgers would have us playing better football and might have already won us a trophy. I dont think he would have got knocked out of the first round of the CL either.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

When we signed Ole how many were crying out for a new left back, now we have the best in the league. Easy to pick players to suit your argument

Red Star One

I get it we’re not as abysmal as we used to be, but you really call group stage CL exit, no domestic cups and out of title race by February an “overperformance”? Us getting top4 and no trophies (perhaps EL but still far away) it’s a bare minimum not a great result

mu4c_20le

Still be in the FA Cup? Better football? Still in the CL? All possibilities.
Are we just talking ANY possibilities, or actual realistic ones? Because this guy got knocked out of the league cup right at the start of the season. Got dumped out of the EL by Slavia Prague. Dropped from 2nd to 5th last season in the span of a few weeks. Rodgers is known to bottle it at the last hurdle.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Too right. I don’t think there’s any doubt Leicester are very good at finding talent.

Having watched Barnes and Maddison in the championship I’m not at all surprised to see them where they are now.
But you still need to set things up for them to thrive and to get the right players around them.

But there’s strong and hilarious moving of goalposts on here when it comes to proclaiming Leicester obviously have better players and it started last season.

Pre season 2019/2020 , barely anyone on here called Leicester for top six. Then around November time Leicester being 2nd and above United was “obvious” as “x, y, and z who play for Leicester are much better than x, y and z who play for United”.

The more obvious answer is that Rodgers has had a huge hand in the development of these players and this team.
Yeah, 100%. It’s crazy the way people so often try to absolve the manager from any responsibility to make players play better. It’s one of the main parts of their job description. And we see it everywhere, with every underperforming manager, ever. “We need to sign x, y and z, then we’ll be good”.

Meanwhile, the really top managers take players that cost very little or came through an academy and make them look like elite footballers. Poch did it at Spurs, Rodgers is doing it at Leicester. The last manager at Manchester United capable of this sort of alchemy was Sir Alex Ferguson. Literally nobody has managed it since he retired.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Are we just talking ANY possibilities, or actual realistic ones? Because this guy got knocked out of the league cup right at the start of the season. Got dumped out of the EL by Slavia Prague. Dropped from 2nd to 5th last season in the span of a few weeks. Rodgers is known to bottle it at the last hurdle.
I think we’re talking absolutely anything :lol: Facts of him getting knocked out of competitions don’t count

gazbradley

Are there people out there who still scoff at those of us who consider him a massive upgrade on Solskjaer? Surely they must be seeing what has been blindingly obvious for a long time now.

Leicester are so much better than us in most departments and Rodgers is largely responsible for that. I will be shocked if he’s not being seriously considered to become our next manager when the inevitable happens and our sentimental experiment is terminated. Surely we have intelligent people in the highest echelons of the decision-making process at our club to realise this sooner rather than later.

I will be so disappointed if the rumours of Solskjaer’s contract extension become reality. It’s painfully obvious we will never make the next step under his stewardship. Rodgers would work wonders with our current squad, IMO. I’d love to see it happen but it’s unlikely to given our myopic, short-sighted mentality that runs throughout the club.
Seems abit hyberbole after yesterday’s result, if Rodgers is as superior to Ole as you’re suggesting then given last seasons league positions and this, cup runs of both teams the past 2 seasons. Has Rodgers underachieved or has Ole overachieved?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
But you are talking about him crumbling under pressure which is just your guess, like how could you know that? Are you his psychologist ? Ι am talking about him being a better manager based on what he has done with other teams.
But you are saying he would do better which is just your guess, like how could you know that? Are you a coach under him? I am basing him crumbling under pressure as he’s shown in the past withbliverpool when they should have won the league and Leicester when they should have got top four and further in the EL.

UnofficialDevil

But you are saying he would do better which is just your guess, like how could you know that? Are you a coach under him? I am basing him crumbling under pressure as he’s shown in the past withbliverpool when they should have won the league and Leicester when they should have got top four and further in the EL.
Last nights game. Plus the fact that he is 3 points of us with a far inferior squad, and a much smaller budget.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Oh no, has it come to wanting Rodgers? Liverpool would just love for us to make that move. As soon as we hit a tough patch the knives will be out with people talking about what he's won. We want to win the League and CL, not top 4 and plucky cup run. Plus his lips are going to fall off any moment for being dry as feck.
Who cares what Liverpool think. Not me certainly.
I think about Manchester United and what is best for them.
And if Rogers was able to make us more successful, and I believe that to be the case, then we should have the best man for the job.
And what has Ole won by the way.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Do you honestly believe that Ole is a better coach than Rodgers? Honestly. Like i said he is 3 points of us with an inferior squad and a much smaller budget.
I have never said that I think Oles a better coach. But I take issue when people say Rogers would walk in and obviously do a better job because of that. The pressure of winning every match here is buckling as shown by how ill the previous 3 managers before Ole looked during their short reigns. Rogers had shown he struggles under pressure, as important end of seasons have shown for him. Football is not purely about the manager coaching coaching coaching

UnofficialDevil

I have never said that I think Oles a better coach. But I take issue when people say Rogers would walk in and obviously do a better job because of that. The pressure of winning every match here is buckling as shown by how ill the previous 3 managers before Ole looked during their short reigns. Rogers had shown he struggles under pressure, as important end of seasons have shown for him. Football is not purely about the manager coaching coaching coaching
Fair enough, although I don’t think last year and anything to do with pressure for Leicester it was injuries.

Cassidy

I think thats harsh critism of Rodgers regarding pressure. I think hes developed quite a bit since Liverpool, especially defensively. Rodgers is a better manager than all 3 managers we had before Ole too.

Saying that I don’t believe Rodgers gets us better than second this season, which Ole can still do