Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Giggsy13

His Liverpool connection is a bull shit reason not to want him as a manager, Sir Busby played for City AND Liverpool and look what he did with us.

it’s not like Rodgers is a legend or fan favourite.
Not too mention Sir Alex had ZERO United connections before he joined and he was giving Spurs a long look as well.

Giggsy13

Would love to have Rodgers at United but I think the United board covets Pochettino more and may wait until the summer to get their top choice. I don’t think it’s going to end well at PSG for Poch and it always seemed like a poor fit.

Idxomer

Nah, he's gonna replace Guardiola at City when he leaves in 2023 and this place will be up in arms about why Utd didnt consider him.

Jonathan Northcroft said he is very high on city's list to replace Guardiola and they have been admirers of him for a while.

Hes a good manager, someone who could build on Oles work. A natural progression rather than a tear down and rebuild.
Never gonna happen.

Kaos

I like Leicester but could really do with them going on a very poor run, firstly to help our own position in the league, but also to hopefully put our board off Brendon. I'd feel completely gutted if he ends up as our manager.

The only plus side to his appointment is our fans would have no problem turning on him and there would be no love lost binning him soon into his tenure, but that's hardly a reason to justify signing him.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
I like Leicester but could really do with them going on a very poor run, firstly to help our own position in the league, but also to hopefully put our board off Brendon. I'd feel completely gutted if he ends up as our manager.

The only plus side to his appointment is our fans would have no problem turning on him and there would be no love lost binning him soon into his tenure, but that's hardly a reason to justify signing him.
Wow, just wow.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Not too mention Sir Alex had ZERO United connections before he joined and he was giving Spurs a long look as well.
Hell, Sir Busby was supposedly offered the Liverpool job before we nicked him off.

It's why ruling out managers based on their affiliations is stupid.

AndySmith1990

I think he's a good manager, certainly a damn sight better than what we currently have. Is he good enough to compete with Klopp and Pep? I don't know, possibly not. But there's no sentimental attachment towards him. In fact due to him managing our rivals its more likely fans will turn. I see that as a good thing. If he's a success then great, but if not we can get rid without too much drama, and by then perhaps someone even better will be available.

We just need the board to stop handing out contracts as if they were sweets, and we need to get into the mindset that managers are disposable; we're not going to find another Ferguson. I see no harm in hiring a good manager, giving them a year, assessing their performance during this time, and if its not cutting it, be working in the background to bring in a replacement at the end of the season. More proactive, less reactive.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Dan_F

Hell, Sir Busby was supposedly offered the Liverpool job before we nicked him off.

Comparing now to 70 years ago is just as stupid. Football culture and society has changed, fans used to go to watch United one week and City the next. Imagine if someone did that now.

I don’t think I could warm to him and I’m not even sure he’s worth the hassle of having to force myself to do that. 2 poor seasons with Liverpool and one where they bottled the title. 2 seasons of bottling top four finishes on the last day with Leicester, struggling in the Europa again this season as well as the league.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Him at Liverpool bought some really poor players.

Borini
Allen
Assaidi
Sahin
Yesil
Alberto
Aspas
Mignolet
Kolo Toure
Sakho
Richie lambert
Adam Llalana
Markovic
Emre Can
Moreno
Balotelli
Benteke
Clyne

He does seem like a decent tactical coach but I don't think he is at our level.

Leicester City have the ability to really use data and scout some good players for that club + a decent level tactical coach can get that club far as we saw with Ranieri and Rodgers winning cups and trophies.

We have too many gaps in our system for that - we need a more well rounded coach with great vision for both players and tactics.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Comparing now to 70 years ago is just as stupid. Football culture and society has changed, fans used to go to watch United one week and City the next. Imagine if someone did that now.

I don’t think I could warm to him and I’m not even sure he’s worth the hassle of having to force myself to do that. 2 poor seasons with Liverpool and one where they bottled the title. 2 seasons of bottling top four finishes on the last day with Leicester, struggling in the Europa again this season as well as the league.
If Klopp or Pep comes out and say they want to be our manager, we'll be stupid to reject them on the basis that they coached Liverpool/City.

People are rejecting Rodgers because he seems like (is) an self obsessed prick, his Liverpool ties mean feck all really.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Him at Liverpool bought some really poor players.

Borini
Allen
Assaidi
Sahin
Yesil
Alberto
Aspas
Mignolet
Kolo Toure
Sakho
Richie lambert
Adam Llalana
Markovic
Emre Can
Moreno
Balotelli
Benteke
Clyne

He does seem like a decent tactical coach but I don't think he is at our level.

Leicester City have the ability to really use data and scout some good players for that club + a decent level tactical coach can get that club far as we saw with Ranieri and Rodgers winning cups and trophies.

We have too many gaps in our system for that - we need a more well rounded coach with great vision for both players and tactics.
I don't know if it was him or the transfer team who signed all those dross.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't know if it was him or the transfer team who signed all those dross.
Well dross is hardly signed at Leicester City, so again the full benefits of this time is not fully from Brendan Rodgers either.

Also Klopp did sign better players at Liverpool compared to every other manager at Liverpool prior, so it can be done by a good manager.

And our transfer team signed dross prior to Ole's tenure, so if he came not sure if we have a team who would buy good players for him either.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Well dross is hardly signed at Leicester City, so again the full benefits of this time is not fully from Brendan Rodgers either.

Also Klopp did sign better players at Liverpool compared to every other manager at Liverpool prior, so it can be done by a good manager.

And our transfer team signed dross prior to Ole's tenure, so if he came not sure if we have a team who would buy good players for him either.
Didn't Klopp rejected Salah and the transfer team wanted him ?

Yeah, the point is, we need a solid recruiting team but that holds good for any manager. No more wasting millions on dross

Loon

:lol:
He's a nearly man and a perennial choker. If he were as good as his ego, Leicester would be doing better.

He also has those weird dry lips which continually make me want to send him a chap stick...

Idxomer

He's a nearly man and a perennial choker. If he were as good as his ego, Leicester would be doing better.

He also has those weird dry lips which continually make me want to send him a chap stick...
His main problem is after all these years in management, his teams still lack defensive stability. Leicester for example has been worse defensively this year than United which tells all you want to know about his defence.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Manchester City also liked Mark Hughes.
Your point being what? That they hired a shite manager 10 years ago so what?

How does that have any relevance to Brendan Rodgers.

Their recruitment has been much better since. As shown by you know the multiple titles

Loon

Your point being what? That they hired a shite manager 10 years ago so what?

How does that have any relevance to Brendan Rodgers.

Their recruitment has been much better since. As shown by you know the multiple titles
It also means they can get it wrong "liking" Brendan Rodgers. They don't have a magic formula. Just because City are sniffing around him, why should that instantly mean he's United material?

Loon

His main problem is after all these years in management, his teams still lack defensive stability. Leicester for example has been worse defensively this year than United which tells all you want to know about his defence.
Exactly. Even with City's inexhaustible resources, I wouldn't trust Rodgers to do a Mancini or Pelligrini and deliver one single title, so cannot imagine him operating on United's.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
But he’s not good enough for us.

You KNOW the Glazers are behind that story in an attempt to soften the Utd fanbase to their next yes man!

City’s owners reading it like, ‘wtf?’.

‘Working on Brendan Rodgers for years!? :lol:

They can have any manager they want in world football, their squad is a managers’ wet dream, their football structure is envied and admired the world over… but secretly, there’s a covert mission going on… for years… they’ve been ‘working on’ the ultimate capture - Brendan Rodgers.

Cmon Woodward, must try harder.

AshRK

I would rather let Ole continue than Rodgers. Yes I said it and I am so done with Ole myself. But anyone thinking he is the man to challenge Klopp, Pep or Tuchel then they are as deluded as TY. Also, his football is hardly attractive.

Again is he better than Ole? YES
BUT that doesn't mean we hire him. I hope we stay away from him and Southgate.

Loon

Or Maguire.

We need to stop acting like City have all the recipes for guaranteed success and they should be used as an objective benchmark. How many defenders was Pep allowed to sign before he got it right?
And once Mancini and Pellegrini failed to deliver on their single titles, they were shipped out.

Redfrog

I will take Klopp tomorrow ! But Rodgers ? For me, nothing to do with Liverpool but I don’t think he is the level we need. Every time he crumbles when it matters !

Kaos

Imagine if this was City shithousing us by conjuring up fake interest in Rodgers, causing our inept board to panic and rush in to appoint him, while they hire Ten Hag as Pep's successor, laughing at us during the whole ordeal.

dinostar77

Never gonna happen.
Jonathan Northcroft knows his stuff and we know Guardiola is leaving in 2023. So it makes sense.
I will take Klopp tomorrow ! But Rodgers ? For me, nothing to do with Liverpool but I don’t think he is the level we need. Every time he crumbles when it matters !
Won league titles with celtic, so crumbling when it matters isnt true.

Loon

Imagine if this was City shithousing us by conjuring up fake interest in Rodgers, causing our inept board to panic and rush in to appoint him, while they hire Ten Hag as Pep's successor, laughing at us during the whole ordeal.
I'm not into conspiracies, but I imagine Brendan Rodgers has a publicist...

Wilt

Brendan Rodgers is 2/1 clear favourite (all bookmakers) to be next Utd manager ….what the hell is going on!?

Nightmare!!