Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Rodgers? No. No. NOOOOO!!!!!!!

“My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study and that’s been my biggest influence.”

No! Please! No!

“I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings.”

I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope.”

“I use a quote with the players, “Per aspera ad astra”, which is Latin for ‘through adversity to the stars.”
"I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes." :lol:

United in sin

I think people are just getting desperate to see us play some decent football consistently. I mean when was the last time that happened? 10 years ago?
I agree with this. Rodgers is a modern and progressive manager and that's reflected by how his teams play. I'm desperate to see us play some semblance of proper football consistently.

dinostar77

I also think it takes a certain personality, self belief and cockiness to be able not only to manage Utd but also shape the team in your image.

Rodgers wouldnt be my first choice personally, Erik ten hag and Poch would be higher up. But I think he is capable of taking one of the top jobs eventually be it Chelsea, City, Utd and making a success of it.

largelyworried

If we pass on Conte, Ten Haag and Pochettino to go for Rodgers, I’m just going to watch dog racing next season instead.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Honest assessment of Rodgers.

When he arrived at Leicester he breathed positivity and confidence, probably as a result of him having an easy time in Scotland.

The first year or so at the club we had some amazing performances and were Liverpool's main title contender for a period of time.

I felt we truly had an elite manager.

In addition we have become less reliant on Vardy, and he has turned Kelechi around even though he doesn't seem to rate him.

But things have not all stuck together, and questions as to why. Chilwell's head got turned whilst away on England duty, and Brendan kept playing a player who lost interest in us, I think this affected the entire team and probably contributed to the disastrous end to that season.

This is why I understand Jimmy's stance on us not keeping players who's heads have turned.

He managed to get the player's heads together and made us top 4 competitor's again for another season, but during the last couple of months or so, it felt like he had lost it, we seemed to approach every game negative wanting to not lose instead of playing to win, one game stood out where we were ahead 3-0 at half time against WBA, then second half we were passive again, and at full time he revealed he didn't like how we played the first half (too adventurous).

However the season still turned out great as we came out for the first time in our history as FA Cup winners. We also won the Community Shield after as well.

This season unlike the previous two seasons we have started slowly and there is no signs of any improvement, our one good league game was against you guys. I don't know if he has finally lost the players or what else might be going on, but the feeling we had in the past few seasons has now gone.

Of course we are now paying him massive wages and he has a large clause any poaching club would have to pay, it will be very expensive to sack him so it will be interesting if you guys approach, if we fight hard to keep him. I wont call time on him at this moment of time because of the FA Cup win, but I don't think the club will tolerate it for an entire season.

If he joins your club, its the same as I said before, you guys will expect more of him, he will need to be more aggressive in the forward play to win the games that you guys expect. However it wouldn't surprise me if you make an approach because Rodgers has got some very good results against you guys, and clubs tend to have a habit of getting players/managers that do well against them. Mahrez as an example scored a wonder goal against Manchester City and now he is their player.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Honest assessment of Rodgers.

When he arrived at Leicester he breathed positivity and confidence, probably as a result of him having an easy time in Scotland.

The first year or so at the club we had some amazing performances and were Liverpool's main title contender for a period of time.

I felt we truly had an elite manager.

In addition we have become less reliant on Vardy, and he has turned Kelechi around even though he doesn't seem to rate him.

But things have not all stuck together, and questions as to why. Chilwell's head got turned whilst away on England duty, and Brendan kept playing a player who lost interest in us, I think this affected the entire team and probably contributed to the disastrous end to that season.

This is why I understand Jimmy's stance on us not keeping players who's heads have turned.

He managed to get the player's heads together and made us top 4 competitor's again for another season, but during the last couple of months or so, it felt like he had lost it, we seemed to approach every game negative wanting to not lose instead of playing to win, one game stood out where we were ahead 3-0 at half time against WBA, then second half we were passive again, and at full time he revealed he didn't like how we played the first half (too adventurous).

However the season still turned out great as we came out for the first time in our history as FA Cup winners. We also won the Community Shield after as well.

This season unlike the previous two seasons we have started slowly and there is no signs of any improvement, our one good league game was against you guys. I don't know if he has finally lost the players or what else might be going on, but the feeling we had in the past few seasons has now gone.

Of course we are now paying him massive wages and he has a large clause any poaching club would have to pay, it will be very expensive to sack him so it will be interesting if you guys approach, if we fight hard to keep him. I wont call time on him at this moment of time because of the FA Cup win, but I don't think the club will tolerate it for an entire season.

If he joins your club, its the same as I said before, you guys will expect more of him, he will need to be more aggressive in the forward play to win the games that you guys expect. However it wouldn't surprise me if you make an approach because Rodgers has got some very good results against you guys, and clubs tend to have a habit of getting players/managers that do well against them. Mahrez as an example scored a wonder goal against Manchester City and now he is their player.
I do think people overrate his performance at Leicester for several reasons;

- Partly due to underestimating the resources at Leicester. Both financial, clever recruitment/scouting department and great management/owner.
- Partly due to underperformance of Puel
- Partly due to underperformance of several of the top 6-teams for some time

Leicester looks like a club that is going places regardless of coach. With a bit of luck with the next manager I can see you getting into top four soon.

Idxomer

I'm no fan of Rodgers but it must be difficult to motivate the players after coming ao close the last two years of getting top 4 and failing at the last hurdle, the injuries aren't helping them either.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I'm no fan of Rodgers but it must be difficult to motivate the players after coming ao close the last two years of getting top 4 and failing at the last hurdle, the injuries aren't helping them either.
Might help if you stop chopping and changing the system and don’t try and match up Chelsea in a system we don’t play on 2 days training

izec

He is good, but not good enough. Man United hiring Rodgers after getting the sack from Leicester is classic United. Then there will be a thread that it is not the managers, because we have tried all these rookies, past it or simply not good enough managers, and not an actual top manager.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
My post game thoughts from another forum…

To try and match up Chelsea on 2 or 3 days training was gross negligence from Rodgers. We CANNOT play a back 3 without either Fofana or Justin in there as both will bring the ball out 20 or 30 yards turning defence into attack.

We tried to play a system that needs a Tielemans without a player close to being capable of filling the role.

Castagne plays LWB for Belgium all the time but he offered us nothing going forward always running into blind alleys or simply not being available.

The first goal was all on KASPER, took a terrible touch played a worse pass to Evans that was uncontrollable they then win a throw and a corner from that.

However we all know that everyone targets our near post so where are all our tall defenders? Still at the back post…

Second goal Soumare gets done but Evans HAS to step out to Kante.

Third goal Kasper should be saving it.

Nacho made no difference Maddison at least had some shots and put a nice ball in. We had Wilf, fresh back from injury having been on international duty but leave him on, when he was clearly knackered and take Soumare off?

Rodgers, I think, is losing the players with hisconstant chopping and changing of systems

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

To try and match up Chelsea on 2 or 3 days training was gross negligence from Rodgers. We CANNOT play a back 3 without either Fofana or Justin in there as both will bring the ball out 20 or 30 yards turning defence into attack.

We tried to play a system that needs a Tielemans without a player close to being capable of filling the role.

Castagne plays LWB for Belgium all the time but he offered us nothing going forward always running into blind alleys or simply not being available.

The first goal was all on KASPER, took a terrible touch played a worse pass to Evans that was uncontrollable they then win a throw and a corner from that.

However we all know that everyone targets our near post so where are all our tall defenders? Still at the back post…

Nacho made no difference Maddison at least had some shots and put a nice ball in. We had Wilf, fresh back from injury having been on international duty but leave him on, when he was clearly knackered and take Soumare off?

Rodgers, I think, is losing the players with hisconstant chopping and changing of systems
Yeah said during match thread I think he's trying to be too clever with these formation switches. Pretty sure you ended last season strongly with Vardy and Ihenacho upfront so surprised that's barely been used so far.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea

Do you think Daka will play more going forward? Been keeping half an eye on him as I kind of rate him, and to me he has looked quite lively whenever I've watched him play lately.

To keep the thread somewhat on topic I kind of rate Rodgers, but he has probably taken the current squad as far as he can. Not sure what club he would go to if Leicester got rid, but I don't think Man Utd would be a good fit. Have there been murmurings regarding who would be available for the Leicester job if a switch was to happen?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rodgers isn't up to being Man Utd manager.

Loads of people want to believe he is just because of where we're at right now. It's comforting to people to believe there's a gettable coach who will come in and get us challenging.

Its just a grass is greener thing. People need to understand we're talking about Brentan, not Luis Enrique or someone like that.

Rodgers is a good coach but he's not a great coach. Man Utd needs a great coach. Anyone but Ole is a social media slogan, not a sensible way to run United.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Do you think Daka will play more going forward? Been keeping half an eye on him as I kind of rate him, and to me he has looked quite lively whenever I've watched him play lately.

To keep the thread somewhat on topic I kind of rate Rodgers, but he has probably taken the current squad as far as he can. Not sure what club he would go to if Leicester got rid, but I don't think Man Utd would be a good fit. Have there been murmurings regarding who would be available for the Leicester job if a switch was to happen?
He should have come on instead of Iheanacho today and will almost certainly start Thursday

SER19

If we were flying now, this thread may be about whether or not he's in trouble now

the_cliff

It would be quite funny if he's sacked by Leicester and we sign him. They're in terrible form.

Imagine, a failed Leicester and Liverpool manager as our hope.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Our defense is terrible. Hiring someone with a worse record is dumb and it's not like this is a one off with Rodgers. His teams always ship goals

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC

When you start blaming so many players, it perhaps points to a coaching problem.

The corners we concede are 100% a coaching problem.

I might blame players when the team generally plays well but one player has a bad game, but when we are been completely outplayed I think its harsh, as naturally been up against it, there is more chances to make errors and its a way of not giving the manager the blame he deserves.

There is still people thinking this is all down to Fofana been missing (before it was Evans but the goals are still been shipped).

I think Rodgers has simply realised it isn't going to work out here and is now playing it out. If he does get a job offer that's even half attractive he will leave. Otherwise will play it out until sacked. He is now lowering the expected standard as well, claims that we over achieved and the Leeds draw was a good result.

Simply put its not reasonable to "expect" a clean sheet when your midfield and forwards are not even competing and you don't know how to position/mark for corners.

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
"I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes." :lol:
"Utd called? Lynn, we're going to need a shit load more envelopes!"

izec

Anyone but this joker...and Southgate of course, but that one is out of the window anyway with the WC coming up.

Litch

I think he is coming, Leicester are turning to shite since he was linked to the club....I think their players know he is leaving

RedDevilRoshi

I think he is coming, Leicester are turning to shite since he was linked to the club....I think their players know he is leaving
Please no! Will be an even bigger laughing stock than what we are just now. As underwhelming an appointment as sticking with Ole :rolleyes:

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
When you start blaming so many players, it perhaps points to a coaching problem.

The corners we concede are 100% a coaching problem.

I might blame players when the team generally plays well but one player has a bad game, but when we are been completely outplayed I think its harsh, as naturally been up against it, there is more chances to make errors and its a way of not giving the manager the blame he deserves.

There is still people thinking this is all down to Fofana been missing (before it was Evans but the goals are still been shipped).

I think Rodgers has simply realised it isn't going to work out here and is now playing it out. If he does get a job offer that's even half attractive he will leave. Otherwise will play it out until sacked. He is now lowering the expected standard as well, claims that we over achieved and the Leeds draw was a good result.

Simply put its not reasonable to "expect" a clean sheet when your midfield and forwards are not even competing and you don't know how to position/mark for corners.
I noticed today we didn't have 11 players out there, we had a team of 8 then a massive gap to the front 3, notably he said we played the same formation both halves ,so he took 2 wingers off and played 2 people out of position so he didn't have to admit he was wrong.

I heard a stat on the Athletic football pod that the goals conceded by Kasper has him in the bottom 3% of xG against, so he stays routed to his line, is crap with the ball at his feet and now isn't doing the 1 thing he is supposed to be great at, yet our other keeper, who's really highly rated won't get a sniff and we all know it.

I have long thought he would go at the end of this season I'm not starting to hope he gets the offer you speak of as I think he's lost the plot and losing the players, there is a reason he only sticks around for 3 years.

Litch

Please no! Will be an even bigger laughing stock than what we are just now. As underwhelming an appointment as sticking with Ole :rolleyes:
Absolutely agree, just got a feeling. Leicester might want him gone anyway.....

Redfrog

If we hire this guy, I’ll just wait the sack as I am waiting it for Ole…