Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Wilt

Rodgers now clear favourite for Utd manager.

Bookmakers must be taking the view of probable loss to City, followed by Chelsea and Arsenal after the break will see the end of Ole’s tenure.

With previous favourite Conte now out of the picture, the pool of instantly available managers have shrunk, leaving Rodgers who’s bound to accept in the drivers seat.

What a mess.

Redfrog

Jonathan Northcroft knows his stuff and we know Guardiola is leaving in 2023. So it makes sense.

Won league titles with celtic, so crumbling when it matters isnt true.
Everybody won the league title with Celtic. It’s different when you are the big boys in the league and the team is used to win it every year in a one team league (I know that Rangers are better now by the way).

Redfrog

Current manager struggling?

Replace him with a manager doing worse than him in the same league!

#continuity
I really don’t want Rodgers, but we should not compare United to Leicester. Squad with we are miles better. In that sense Ole is doing much worse in my opinion.

Blood Mage

A quiet voice in the back of my head is saying I'd rather fecking keep Ole...

On top of being a mediocre tactician and bottler, he's also an obnoxious twat who believes his own hype too much.

Withnail

Jonathan Northcroft knows his stuff and we know Guardiola is leaving in 2023. So it makes sense.

Won league titles with celtic, so crumbling when it matters isnt true
You need to be challenged by another team to show whether or not you crack under pressure.

He didn't have any credible opposition when he was up there did he?

ShinjiNinja26

I’m not as against the idea of Rodgers becoming manager as most on here. He was a Gerrard slip away from winning the league with a Liverpool team that had about 4 good players. I think you give him this squad he’d surprise a lot of people.

That being said I’m so fecking tired of Solskjaer at this point I’d almost take anybody so maybe that’s clouding my judgment.:lol:

HailtotheKing

I’m not as against the idea of Rodgers becoming manager as most on here. He was a Gerrard slip away from winning the league with a Liverpool team that had about 4 good players. I think you give him this squad he’d surprise a lot of people.

That being said I’m so fecking tired of Solskjaer at this point I’d almost take anybody so maybe that’s clouding my judgment.:lol:
My thoughts exactly, you can’t blame Rogers for that slip. And sometimes it’s the players that lack the mentality but the manager. Rogers is a bit of a non but he plays good football and that for me is what I want right now. And a bloody structure. We can’t go on like this.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I have a feeling he will end up at Newcastle next season. They'll throw a bag of money at him and he will feel that he can be the hero that makes them relevant again.

justboy68

I think he's a good manager, certainly a damn sight better than what we currently have. Is he good enough to compete with Klopp and Pep? I don't know, possibly not. But there's no sentimental attachment towards him. In fact due to him managing our rivals its more likely fans will turn. I see that as a good thing. If he's a success then great, but if not we can get rid without too much drama, and by then perhaps someone even better will be available.

We just need the board to stop handing out contracts as if they were sweets, and we need to get into the mindset that managers are disposable; we're not going to find another Ferguson. I see no harm in hiring a good manager, giving them a year, assessing their performance during this time, and if its not cutting it, be working in the background to bring in a replacement at the end of the season. More proactive, less reactive.
Really good points. Actually makes me more keen on the idea. I would personally opt for Potter, but the same logic applies. Give them a go, he will accept a 2 year contract if that's all we offer and if it doesn't look that promising we can get someone else in the summer. It's time to wake up, realise it's a cutthroat, fine margins business and be ruthless.

alexanderplatz

Really good points. Actually makes me more keen on the idea. I would personally opt for Potter, but the same logic applies. Give them a go, he will accept a 2 year contract if that's all we offer and if it doesn't look that promising we can get someone else in the summer. It's time to wake up, realise it's a cutthroat, fine margins business and be ruthless.
anything that introduces the idea of high performance and meritocracy in to the club works for me!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's always in the press he's waiting for Man. City job to become available and some in Man. City boardroom seriously rate him so we'll see what happens. Leicester is hardly worst club in world to bide your time for another 18 months waiting given the squad he now has there and they can still compete to win some trophies.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think Potter is going to be better than Rodgers but probably too early for him.

Rodgers is another who always starts lowing expectations when the pressure is on. Heard an interview with him 3 weeks ago where, with Leicester out of form, he said that he doesn’t see his career as “being about trophies” for him it’s about “educating players”.

I think he’s a good coach but don’t see him competing properly with Klopp, Pep, Tuchel. He’s not as good as Conte either.

Wilt

Much rather keep Ole (never thought I’d ever say that!) till end of season ….then go for Ten Hag.

Do not want Rodgers.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think Potter is going to be better than Rodgers but probably too early for him.

Rodgers is another who always starts lowing expectations when the pressure is on. Heard an interview with him 3 weeks ago where, with Leicester out of form, he said that he doesn’t see his career as “being about trophies” for him it’s about “educating players”.

I think he’s a good coach but don’t see him competing properly with Klopp, Pep, Tuchel. He’s not as good as Conte either.
Well he's done both at Leicester in last two years.

Of course he'll always have the stigma of bottling the league at Liverpool but again you have to remember in summer 2013 no one was tipping Liverpool to win the league. Always amuses me when people say they only got close due to Suarez, forgetting Suarez had already been at Liverpool over two years at that point so he deserves credit for the system getting so much out of Suarez.

If it's a coach between Ten Haag and Rodgers you probably go for ETH due to him being more proven at higher level (don't think Rodgers has ever coached in CL knock outs despite managing Liverpool and Celtic) but he's a pretty good manager nowadays so think he's got one big job left in him I think.

Would surely be considered for England post Southgate aswell?

Giggsy13

City are a well run football club, so if they see potential in Rodgers to take over from Pep then they’re probably onto something. It seems they have a more advanced way of operating as a football club and aren’t fussed about his prior Liverpool links like too many of our own are.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I would rather have Rogers than Pochettino. He plays good football, and has probably achieved more. I think he's ready for a big club now.
I'd rather Zidane or Ten Hag over both. It's a tough choice between Rodgers and Poch. I feel like they are good students of the game but not innovators or masters. They just lack that X factor for me.

fergies coat

I'd rather Zidane or Ten Hag over both. It's a tough choice between Rodgers and Poch. I feel like they are good students of the game but not innovators or masters. They just lack that X factor for me.
But what has Poch ever done? Rogers has got Swansea promoted to the PL, nearly won the league with Liverpool, and gone unbeaten for a full season with Celtic, and won the FA cup with Leicester.

Real Name

City are a well run football club, so if they see potential in Rodgers to take over from Pep then they’re probably onto something. It seems they have a more advanced way of operating as a football club and aren’t fussed about his prior Liverpool links like too many of our own are.
Not every move they make is a brilliant one. We shouldnt just copy them in everything.

Giggsy13

Not every move they make is a brilliant one. We shouldnt just copy them in everything.
Im not saying we should copy them, we can’t anyways with their unlimited financial backing. With that said, their footballing structure is far better than ours and they’re more proactive while we simply are reactive and not as forward thinking. The Ole situation proves it, the board were not prepared to consider a worst case scenario or our terrible start. We barely do our due diligence and are prepared to sit on our hands while city are reportedly looking at Pep’s successor already. We can mock their foundations all we want, it’s an oil club, but shame on an established footballing institution for falling this far behind. We don’t need to copy them but we can try operating like a football club again.

Real Name

Im not saying we should copy them, we can’t anyways with their unlimited financial backing. With that said, their footballing structure is far better than ours and they’re more proactive while we simply are reactive and not as forward thinking. The Ole situation proves it, the board were not prepared to consider a worst case scenario or our terrible start. We barely do our due diligence and are prepared to sit on our hands while city are reportedly looking at Pep’s successor already. We can mock their foundations all we want, it’s an oil club, but shame on an established footballing institution for falling behind this badly. We don’t need to copy them but we can try operating like a football club again.
That's all true but we shouldnt go for Rodgers just cause City apparently thinks he's good enough for them.

hobbers

I wouldn’t be so averse to Rodgers if I thought the board were interested in him for the right reasons. And not just because he’s british and fits their view of a what a compliant stoogey manager should be.

Unlike with Poch, where our interest in him at the time was for good reasons. And so if we end up going back in for him I would at least give him a chance.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think Zidane is as good as many think he is. He has obviously achieved a lot as a coach but most of the squad he had inherited at the peak of their careers. I’m not saying it’s entirely circumstantial but it definitely played a big role in his success and also his failures in his 2nd appointment there.

Trophies aside, has he been an “innovator” no.

Has he done anything someone else might have also achieved? Hard to say.

Does he have anything unique about his style? Not really.

He really needs another club to truly access his actual managerial ability. It’s very easy to say he is top 3 when he had generational talents.

Likewise it’s Very hard to back that up without going to a club like yours that needs a new identity but has a strong base to build it from.

tldr; Need more evidence before I call zidane a great manager.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I don’t think Zidane is as good as many think he is. He has obviously achieved a lot as a coach but most of the squad he had inherited at the peak of their careers. I’m not saying it’s entirely circumstantial but it definitely played a big role in his success and also his failures in his 2nd appointment there.

Trophies aside, has he been an “innovator” no.

Has he done anything someone else might have also achieved? Hard to say.

Does he have anything unique about his style? Not really.

He really needs another club to truly access his actual managerial ability. It’s very easy to say he is top 3 when he had generational talents.

Likewise it’s Very hard to back that up without going to a club like yours that needs a new identity but has a strong base to build it from.

tldr; Need more evidence before I call zidane a great manager.
Would you call Bob Paisley a great manager?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
But what has Poch ever done? Rogers has got Swansea promoted to the PL, nearly won the league with Liverpool, and gone unbeaten for a full season with Celtic, and won the FA cup with Leicester.
Was a success at Southampton and Spurs and lets see what he does at PSG. I agree Rodgers probably has the slightly better CV and the way better medal cabinet.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
No to envelopes, no to training vídeos, no to portraits of yourself in the front room of your own house, no to “character”, no to cringe, no to a terrible European record, no to another hopeful punt.

No to Brendan!!

stevoc

No to envelopes, no to training vídeos, no to portraits of yourself in the front room of your own house, no to “character”, no to cringe, no to a terrible European record, no to another hopeful punt.

No to Brendan!!
Come on now let's be fair here....

....it was in the hallway.

Giggsy13

That's all true but we shouldnt go for Rodgers just cause City apparently thinks he's good enough for them.
That wouldn’t be the reason though. We would hire Rodgers because he’s an excellent manager who is punching above his weight at Leicester. A lot of people point to the fact that Leicester have lost top 4 the last 2 years, but he is competing with clubs who have a bigger budget and squad. No one likes to point out that he won an FA cup beating an excellent Chelsea aide. I think he’d be highly motivated if he got another opportunity to manage a big club.

LawmanMan

Would rather have Ricky Gervais take over than his real-life imitator!

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Rodgers? No. No. NOOOOO!!!!!!!

“My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study and that’s been my biggest influence.”

No! Please! No!

“I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings.”

I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope.”

“I use a quote with the players, “Per aspera ad astra”, which is Latin for ‘through adversity to the stars.”

poleglass red

I actually like Rodgers, think his teams are set up well and play a good brand of football. I think that cup win showed he could mix it with the big boys because I think there is a genuine concern over his bottle when the going gets tough. Remember too though Klopp, for a while had that doubt re cup finals. I recall after the 1st CL final loss, sky had an article that Klopp at that stage had contested 7 finals, 4 at Dortmund and 3 at Liverpool and only won one, of course after that the rest is history. I know he had success at Celtic, but Rangers weren't as competitive then. Plus who wouldn't love someone who says:
"I always say a squad is like a good meal. I'm not a great cook, but a good meal takes a wee bit of time. But also, to offer a good meal, you need good ingredients."

Dominos

From Rodger's time at Liverpool, it's not the slip that makes me think he's not up to it.

He had 4 seasons, and 3 of them were poor (sacked half way through the 4th). I give him full credit for taking them close to the title, but the fact he couldn't even get them established as consistent top 4 side in other years and they had to let him go doesn't reflect well on him.

Granted I think he's probably a better manager now than he was back then, but United have the luxury of appointing the proven elite who have won the big trophies over and over, why we would go for someone like Rodgers confuses me.

fergies coat

From Rodger's time at Liverpool, it's not the slip that makes me think he's not up to it.

He had 4 seasons, and 3 of them were poor (sacked half way through the 4th). I give him full credit for taking them close to the title, but the fact he couldn't even get them established as consistent top 4 side in other years and they had to let him go doesn't reflect well on him.

Granted I think he's probably a better manager now than he was back then, but United have the luxury of appointing the proven elite who have won the big trophies over and over, why we would go for someone like Rodgers confuses me.
I think people are just getting desperate to see us play some decent football consistently. I mean when was the last time that happened? 10 years ago?