Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

mu4c_20le

The irony is that if the club was suddenly bought by someone who shared the opinions of the poster you're calling to be banned - they club's standards would go up almost immediately.

There's a reason why what he's saying has bothered you...

Hint - because it's true.
More like because you agree with it. You yourself have been shamelessly bashing the club and the players nonstop for the entire year.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Tiresome, but not entirely untrue.
I did admit there was some truth to it.

The problem is he constantly makes these posts, and not in a constructive way either. Purely in a "you're shit, have a crap future, and are jealous of us (Leicester)" way, which, after countless posts since the Maguire transfer saga, is just boring now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I did admit there was some truth to it.

The problem is he constantly makes these posts, and not in a constructive way either. Purely in a "you're shit, have a crap future, and are jealous of us (Leicester)" way, which, after countless posts since the Maguire transfer saga, is just boring now.
Yeah, that I can understand. It's a Rodgers thread though, and a lot of posts are dedicated towards trashing him even when its more banter than an actual indictment of Rodgers as a Leicester manager. I'm not surprised Leicester fans are giving similar rebuttals back.

Eric7C

I think some people overestimate Manchester United in the current footballing world.

You've paid £80 million for a center half who is just as close to being 'World Class' as he is 'Average'. You've appointed 'an old mate', sacked by Cardiff, as the manager of the 'biggest club in the world'. Today, you're being linked with a january move for Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson.

You can throw around tags like 'Richest club in the world'......'Biggest club in the world' all you like.
But they're not accurate anymore.
Just like the similar lines that come out of Liverpool were completely obsolete 5-10 years ago.....Until recently under Klopp.

You're not in position to turn your nose up at Rodgers when you have the worst manager in the league at your club.
No player can be just as close to being world class as to average. That's a nonsense statement in an otherwise accurate summation of where United are at the moment (as much as it hurts to admit it).

And Brendan is a superior manager to Ole, there is no two ways about it.

shahzy

More like because you agree with it. You yourself have been shamelessly bashing the club and the players nonstop for the entire year.
As they should. It’s called havi nag standards and if players or board members aren’t living up to it they will and should be told about it. This isn’t a Mickey Mouse club where you come and just take it easy because you’ve now ‘made it’. Well that’s not what it used to be but these days it’s all different. Look at Lingard for example

mu4c_20le

The club...? Can you find me quotes for this?
Ok - anything about the club. Not saying you are an ABU, but it feels like 99% of your posts have been negative, and the 1% is when you're bigging up one of Ole's replacements without actually mentioning Ole.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Agreed.

There's obviously some truth in it, but ever since he's joined - as well as some other Leicester fans - he's/they've been constantly saying we're rubbish, you're not an attractive club anymore,etc, and it's tiresome.

Like @amolbhatia50k says, it comes from the Maguire transfer where they've obviously got a chip on their shoulder.
It's amusing. Spurs fans also came over in hoards a few years back but I always felt the war between them and United fans was pretty daft, and that they got an unjustifiably rough deal from our fans here. But to an extent fans of the team of the forum are bullish and defensive after all. But these Leicester fans we've seen enter over the last 6-8 months take the cake. They leave a very poor impression. You'd think they're our sworn rivals who have come straight off the bat of a 5 year dominance of the PL.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It's amusing. Spurs fans also came over in hoards a few years back but I always felt the war between them and United fans was pretty daft, and that they got an unjustifiably rough deal from our fans here. But to an extent fans of the team of the forum are bullish and defensive after all. But these Leicester fans we've seen enter over the last 6-8 months take the cake. They leave a very poor impression. You'd think they're our sworn rivals who have come straight off the bat of a 5 year dominance of the PL.
I agree with you and some posts here from my fellow Leicester fans are really embarrassing. We're not all like that though :angel:. I personally like the Caf and have read it for years.

We are obviously no rivals, anyone who says otherwise is deluded. This year's a freak one and you'll eventually get it right at some point.

Ludens the Red

Agreed.

There's obviously some truth in it, but ever since he's joined - as well as some other Leicester fans - he's/they've been constantly saying we're rubbish, you're not an attractive club anymore,etc, and it's tiresome.

Like @amolbhatia50k says, it comes from the Maguire transfer where they've obviously got a chip on their shoulder.
Yep, I’ve Had a lot of people quote me on my comment and say “oh he’s right” “it’s not rawk”. But to me there’s a difference, this is not coming from someone like @Dumbstar or @SilentWitness . This Leicester fan in particular has been here five minutes (noticeably about five minutes after Maguire joined us) and if you look at almost all of his/her posts they are inflammatory towards United or United fans. I don't see why someone so obviously on here purely to take digs at United and United fans is fair game. I know a lot of United fans on here spout some nonsense but it isn't for a fecking Leicester fan @CRUTotalFootballYFF to come on here and start point scoring with them, trying to masquerade as a genuine poster when its patently obvious he/she's not.

amolbhatia50k

I agree with you and some posts here from my fellow Leicester fans are really embarrassing. We're not all like that though :angel:. I personally like the Caf and have read it for years.

We are obviously no rivals, anyone who says otherwise is deluded. This year's a freak one and you'll eventually get it right at some point.
Cheers, mate. We should remember at our not to generalise across the board. And I don't think opppisition club fans should have to appease United or its fanbase either. However it has struck many of us that there's been a trend of derogatory / inflammatory attitudes from Leicester fans here. And that'll never go down well on any club forum, despite this place as open minded and balanced a place as you'll get.

It is noted that everyone is not alike though! Good to have you onboard. We know we arrnta in a good place of course. That anyone feels we aren't, is perfectly normal.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Rodgers is an unfortunate slip away from being a cult hero and a very good manager indeed, he certainly is a bit of a tit but who is not, among the others? That said, if hardcore fans in Manchester do not start with real protests and the like to put pressure, the hierarchy won’t understand it is football results that matter the most to fans, not record revenues or the hundredth sleeve sponsor.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
No player can be just as close to being world class as to average. That's a nonsense statement
That's just another way of saying he's better than average, but falls short of being world class. A slightly arcane way of saying it, but not nonsense, since the logic can still be followed: in order to come close to being considered among the best there is, he will have to improve as much as he did to move beyond being ranked as 'average'. At present he's good-to-very good, not great yet (and perhaps never will be), but probably capable of remaining above good-to-middling in the medium term.

CRUTotalFootballYFF

Supports
Leicester
Agreed.

In what world, where Manchester United are midtable, are Manchester United not 'rubbish'?
Are your expectations really that low? Do fans turn up at Old Trafford on Saturday excited about watching what is currently a top 6-10 team?

The reason some take objection to what I/others say is not because we have some kind of 'Superiority complex'......It is that you have lost yours.

Gone are the days of Manchester United being dominant in every competition, setting the lofty heights for all to follow. Now, currently, today, you're just a historically big club, now the laughing stock for all to take potshots at. I think you will find that the majority of posts have just been me offering my opinion, of how i've seen the fall of Manchester United over the past 10 years, the rise of my club Leicester, and how Manchester United are following the same steps that Liverpool had before Klopp arrived.

Harry Maguire: Having the opinion that his price and reputation by the media/pundits is vastly inflated, has nothing to do with having a 'Chip on my soldier'. Instead, the actual problem comes from Manchester United fans believing that they know better than a fan who has witnessed Maguire over the past 2 years. I will say what I said before, good center back, excellent on the ball. But not a leader, always needs one next to him and has severe limitations for £80 million compared to Van Dijk, specifically his pace/acceleration/mobility as well as poor concentration as times.

James Maddison: Yet again vastly overrated by the media, and I honestly hope does join Manchester United for the once again crazy figures being floated about. Good on the ball, can unlock defences, has consistently good set pieces with the quality to be a threat for 90 minutes by creating something out of nothing. But incredibly inconsistent, yes he scores worldies but he also takes more shots than anyone. He's very prone to holding onto the ball too much rather than playing first time. He can carry a team, but often needs to be carried too, there's similarities to Pogba in that regard.

I'm not even going into the Newcastle game and the difference between how Leicester/Man United approached it, as I would just get accused of 'constantly saying you're rubbish'.

But please, correct me how my posts about saying you can't attract players is wrong. What did you spend on Maguire/Wan Bissaka/James? £150 million? You could've spent that on Laporte+Van Dijk 12 months ago and had two center backs for the next 5+ years. Bernado Silva? No, he wouldn't come so you spend it to get Fred instead. Turned down by Dybala, not getting Bruno Fernandes....Where exactly am I wrong?

Don't play the 'Why is this guy allowed on here' card. I'm not trolling, i'm not provoking any kind of reaction other than just offering my opinion, clearly quite a few agree. Manchester United fans are offering the exact same opinions! If you disagree with my points, tell me why. Rodgers wouldn't go to Newcastle with two holding midfielders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yagami

Good post resistant
@CRUTotalFootballYFF , I've already said there's truth to what you post. I'm not disagreeing with the general opinion.

I am however not a fan of how condescending you are, and how, since joining, nearly everyone of your posts has been aimed at baiting United fans.

I mean, look at this in the Maguire thread:
People in glass houses and all that.....
I remember when Manchester United were a 'successful' big club.
Now, they're envious of little old Leicester.

Leicester, as would be argued by most pundits/media/current and ex players, have a better squad than the 'Mighty Manchester United'.
Whether or not you agree with that is subjective, and I suspect that you will given your red tinted glasses......
But there are two aspects of where Leicester are operating as if they are a bigger club than Manchester United.

1 - Better transfer Policy
2 - Better manager

Manchester United used to be competing with Europe's best, now they're a mid table Premier league side.
Again, there's truth to it, but coming out with constant snide remarks like "envious of little old Leicester" and "'Mighty Manchester United'" - which you do in every post - just comes off as you having a chip on your shoulder as @amolbhatia50k said before.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
In what world, where Manchester United are midtable, are Manchester United not 'rubbish'?
Are your expectations really that low? Do fans turn up at Old Trafford on Saturday excited about watching what is currently a top 6-10 team?

The reason some take objection to what I/others say is not because we have some kind of 'Superiority complex'......It is that you have lost yours.

Gone are the days of Manchester United being dominant in every competition, setting the lofty heights for all to follow. Now, currently, today, you're just a historically big club, now the laughing stock for all to take potshots at. I think you will find that the majority of posts have just been me offering my opinion, of how i've seen the fall of Manchester United over the past 10 years, the rise of my club Leicester, and how Manchester United are following the same steps that Liverpool had before Klopp arrived.

Harry Maguire: Having the opinion that his price and reputation by the media/pundits is vastly inflated, has nothing to do with having a 'Chip on my soldier'. Instead, the actual problem comes from Manchester United fans believing that they know better than a fan who has witnessed Maguire over the past 2 years. I will say what I said before, good center back, excellent on the ball. But not a leader, always needs one next to him and has severe limitations for £80 million compared to Van Dijk, specifically his pace/acceleration/mobility as well as poor concentration as times.

James Maddison: Yet again vastly overrated by the media, and I honestly hope does join Manchester United for the once again crazy figures being floated about. Good on the ball, can unlock defences, has consistently good set pieces with the quality to be a threat for 90 minutes by creating something out of nothing. But incredibly inconsistent, yes he scores worldies but he also takes more shots than anyone. He's very prone to holding onto the ball too much rather than playing first time. He can carry a team, but often needs to be carried too, there's similarities to Pogba in that regard.

I'm not even going into the Newcastle game and the difference between how Leicester/Man United approached it, as I would just get accused of 'constantly saying you're rubbish'.

But please, correct me how my posts about saying you can't attract players is wrong. What did you spend on Maguire/Wan Bissaka/James? £150 million? You could've spent that on Laporte+Van Dijk 12 months ago and had two center backs for the next 5+ years. Bernado Silva? No, he wouldn't come so you spend it to get Fred instead. Turned down by Dybala, not getting Bruno Fernandes....Where exactly am I wrong?

Don't play the 'Why is this guy allowed on here' card. I'm not trolling, i'm not provoking any kind of reaction other than just offering my opinion, clearly quite a few agree. Manchester United fans are offering the exact same opinions! If you disagree with my points, tell me why. Rodgers wouldn't go to Newcastle with two holding midfielders.
Football is a business nowadays so in terms of revenue and profit Man Utd is definitely one of the top clubs in the world. I also think the drawing power of Man Utd is huge to players just simply because of the money they can offer.

Just take a look at the weekly salary of some of the players among the top teams

Striker
Martial £250k/w
Aguero £250k/w
Rashford £200k/w
Aubameyang £200k/w
Salah £200k/w
Sterling £180k/w
Lacazette £180k/w
Vardy £140,000/w
Abraham £130k/w
Mane £100k/w

LB
Luke Shaw £150k/w
[Irrelevant point] £100k/w
Sead Kolasinac £100k/w
Mendy £90k/w
Andrew Robertson £90k/w

Gk
De Gea £350k/w
Bernd Leno £100k/w
Kepa Arrizabalaga £150k/w
Ederson £65k/w
Alisson Becker £90k/w

As you can see Man Utd paid top top salary for their players, and it is a huge draw to the players. It is another matter if Rashford is as good as Auba and Salah, or if De Gea justified his salary almost equal to the sum of Kepa, Leno, Ederson and Alisson.

CRUTotalFootballYFF

Supports
Leicester
@CRUTotalFootballYFF , I've already said there's truth to what you post. I'm not disagreeing with the general opinion.

I am however not a fan of how condescending you are, and how, since joining, nearly everyone of your posts has been aimed at baiting United fans.

I mean, look at this in the Maguire thread:

Again, there's truth to it, but coming out with constant snide remarks like "envious of little old Leicester" and "'Mighty Manchester United'" - which you do in every post - just comes off as you having a chip on your shoulder as @amolbhatia50k said before.
Read the whole thread, rather than just my posts.

The 'Little old Leicester' and 'Mighty Manchester United' comments are in response to condescending United fan posters. If you actually look, my initial post on here was purely to give my opinion on the Harry Maguire transfer, where I focused on giving my opinion on how the media vastly overrates/even invents, his 'Leadership' ability. Like I said then, the guy was never trusted at Leicester to play without a more experienced guy next to him, so going to United wouldn't transform them like a Van Dijk, who has been leading defences for a few years now.
It was then comments from your fans claiming that I was jealous he was leaving. I didn't know what I was talking about. He would vastly transform your team like Van Dijk at Liverpool. He would be 'Our Van Dijk' was a phrase I recall seeing. It would result in Leicester getting relegated etc etc etc. See where I am going with this?

Maybe posters shouldn't throw posts like 'Little old Leicester', 'Tinpot club' and 'We're the biggest club in the World' if they don't want them to be thrown back in their faces when Manchester United are the club appearing more 'Tinpot' at this time than 'Little old Leicester'? People in glass houses and all that.....

CRUTotalFootballYFF

Supports
Leicester
Football is a business nowadays so in terms of revenue and profit Man Utd is definitely one of the top clubs in the world. I also think the drawing power of Man Utd is huge to players just simply because of the money they can offer.

Just take a look at the weekly salary of some of the players among the top teams

Striker
Martial £250k/w
Aguero £250k/w
Rashford £200k/w
Aubameyang £200k/w
Salah £200k/w
Sterling £180k/w
Lacazette £180k/w
Vardy £140,000/w
Abraham £130k/w
Mane £100k/w

LB
Luke Shaw £150k/w
[Irrelevant point] £100k/w
Sead Kolasinac £100k/w
Mendy £90k/w
Andrew Robertson £90k/w

Gk
De Gea £350k/w
Bernd Leno £100k/w
Kepa Arrizabalaga £150k/w
Ederson £65k/w
Alisson Becker £90k/w

As you can see Man Utd paid top top salary for their players, and it is a huge draw to the players. It is another matter if Rashford is as good as Auba and Salah, or if De Gea justified his salary almost equal to the sum of Kepa, Leno, Ederson and Alisson.
But is that not just proving my point further?

You can't attract 'World Class' players, or even the next level below, so you're forced to pay 'decent/good' premier league players, like Rashford/Shaw/Martial 'World Class wages'?

That is why Maguire cost you a World record fee and you're paying £200,000 a week to Rashford, you cannot attract better. Like I said before, there is one argument that it is a result of a poor transfer/scouting setup which led you to sign the likes of Maguire/Fred instead of Van Dijk/Laporte/B.Silva etc. But when Dybala turned you down, and you have since instead been linked with Mandzukic, did that not turn the warning signs on that maybe you're are still capable of attracting players, but not the ones you want?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Athletic reported that he had moved for Bertrand and Ashley Williams but was blocked by board and gave Sakho and Moreno instead.

Safe to say, he is quite bad at transfers.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Athletic reported that he had moved for Bertrand and Ashley Williams but was blocked by board and gave Sakho and Moreno instead.

Safe to say, he is quite bad at transfers.
at the time Ryan Bertrand and Ashley Williams would have been much better signings than Alberto Moreno and Sakho

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Sakho was highly rated at PSG. But my point is different- all of them are shit .
they didn't have the funds they do now and were shopping in a different market< Bertrand and Williams would have been decent signings at the time he was at Liverpool and would have improved them, stop rewriting history

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
But is that not just proving my point further?

You can't attract 'World Class' players, or even the next level below, so you're forced to pay 'decent/good' premier league players, like Rashford/Shaw/Martial 'World Class wages'?

That is why Maguire cost you a World record fee and you're paying £200,000 a week to Rashford, you cannot attract better. Like I said before, there is one argument that it is a result of a poor transfer/scouting setup which led you to sign the likes of Maguire/Fred instead of Van Dijk/Laporte/B.Silva etc. But when Dybala turned you down, and you have since instead been linked with Mandzukic, did that not turn the warning signs on that maybe you're are still capable of attracting players, but not the ones you want?
The rest of your post is pretty much correct, but this doesn't add up. If City or Liverpool wanted him, they'd have had to have paid the same price. He cost so much because he renewed last year, had 4 years left and Leicester didn't want or need to sell. Club's don't sell players cheaper to more attractive clubs.

The reason City walked away was because they didn't want to pay so much.

I agree with the rest though. Our biggest attraction right now is salary, but football is so lucrative now, more clubs than just the established elite can pay some pretty hefty salaries.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
The rest of your post is pretty much correct, but this doesn't add up. If City or Liverpool wanted him, they'd have had to have paid the same price. He cost so much because he renewed last year, had 4 years left and Leicester didn't want or need to sell. Club's don't sell players cheaper to more attractive clubs.

The reason City walked away was because they didn't want to pay so much.

I agree with the rest though. Our biggest attraction right now is salary, but football is so lucrative now, more clubs than just the established elite can pay some pretty hefty salaries.
the fact you were willing to pay that fee is a sign of your desperation, City walked away because they had other options (Fernandinho dropping back), apparently you didn't

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
the fact you were willing to pay that fee is a sign of your desperation, City walked away because they had other options (Fernandinho dropping back), apparently you didn't
That's not the point, the asking price wouldve been the same had city enquired. And looking at them right now they needed a cb just as much as Utd.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He was the player the club wanted. Not only Ole, but Mourinho too. They didn't pay so much for Maguire because other targets had pushed back. Like Wan-Bissaka, he was the #1 target for the position, so they paid what it took.

IMO it'd be desperation if we'd have shopped around and everyone else said no. There weren't any other right back targets, and the only other CB we seemed to sniff at was Koulibaly, but it doesn't seem like we made a concrete approach.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
He was the player the club wanted. Not only Ole, but Mourinho too. They didn't pay so much for Maguire because other targets had pushed back. Like Wan-Bissaka, he was the #1 target for the position, so they paid what it took.

IMO it'd be desperation if we'd have shopped around and everyone else said no. There weren't any other right back targets, and the only other CB we seemed to sniff at was Koulibaly, but it doesn't seem like we made a concrete approach.
You wanted him 12 months earlier too and wouldn’t pay a much lower fee, so it’s a sign of how desperate United had gotten they were now willing to pay a higher fee than they previously refused to pay

LJJT

City didn’t back Pep in the summer and look how that’s going.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
You wanted him 12 months earlier too and wouldn’t pay a much lower fee, so it’s a sign of how desperate United had gotten they were now willing to pay a higher fee than they previously refused to pay
That still doesn't appear desperate to me, they paid what it took to get their #1 target. Not paying the lower fee 12 months prior was stupid, and the choice to not back Mourinho in general was stupid, and they paid for that stupidity.

Alexis Sanchez smacked of desperation. Not a player we needed, didn't even want to come and it took an ungodly salary to persuade him to come. That was pure panic, getting someone for the sake of it. Maguire was strengthening where we absolutely needed to strengthen with a target who the club absolutely wanted. Desperation would be settling for a player they didn't really want because their top targets had refused. That's not what happened.

The original point being, the club's supposed desperation is not why Maguire cost what he did. City, Liverpool, Real Madrid, any other club would have had to pay the same amount. City wanted him but didn't want to pay that much. They probably should have, because they've currently got one fit centre back, and he's not very good.

bond19821982

they didn't have the funds they do now and were shopping in a different market< Bertrand and Williams would have been decent signings at the time he was at Liverpool and would have improved them, stop rewriting history
Fund issues ? Let's get the facts right - they paid 35m+ for Sakho and 18m for Bertrand. So not really a funding issue unless you consider overpaying is considered as "funding issues"

He was shit in transfers. period

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Fund issues ? Let's get the facts right - they paid 35m+ for Sakho and 18m for Bertrand. So not really a funding issue unless you consider overpaying is considered as "funding issues"

you're blaming him for transfers you yourself said he didn't want ...

bond19821982

you're blaming him for transfers you yourself said he didn't want ...
Not really, was responding to your point of "funding issues" . They had nothing like funding issues.

Williams or Sakho or Bertrand or Moreno - all were shit. Williams being slightly less shit than Sakho doesn't automatically make him a transfer genius.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
no actually Williams when at Swansea and when he first joined Everton was anything but Shit, Bertrand back then was a very good left back both would have been good signings and upgrades over what they had at the time, there are plenty of signings Rodgers made to pick out, wanting to sign those player back then aren't a part of it

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

Where did you get 35+from? He was bought for 17 and buying him over Williams was the correct decision as at his best he’s a far superior defender and the only reason he was jettisoned from Liverpool was disciplinary issues. Him and Lovren were exceptional in our Europa league run and most Liverpool fans at the time wanted him partnered with Matip.

Moreno was highly rated before he joined Liverpool too and whilst Bertrand would have been a better option it’s fair to say our scouting department was much less refined back then. Sakho has his weaknesses and can never seem to stay injury free but he’s a top defender. Worth remembering he mainly played in the Rodgers era where there was never a single defender capable of playing competently in a back four and he was the best of a very bad bunch.

amolbhatia50k

Our fans definitely do not tune in/turn up to our matches excited about floating from 4th to 6th every season (probably worse this year). But you know what, shit happens, we've absolutely destroyed the premier league and English football, for two decades under Sir Alex. You cannot always win and be among the best. Going through periods of mismanagement is part and parcel of the game/life. After all, we are grateful to be better managed (by absolute) miles compared to the rest of English football, for ages.

And we aren't really rubbish rubbish. We're rubbish by our standards but by the rest of the league' standards - Liecester for example - were doing alright, one novice manager (who will be gone) aside. We've won the Fa cup and Europa league recently. Been in the CL twice. Finished second once. It's not great, but I'm not sure it's terrible (unless compared to our own standards).

We haven't really lost our superiority complex. Were a record 20 time champions of England and remain of, if not, the largest club on the planet. And since Leicester fans are so anal about anybody blowing that trumpet I'm referring to popularity. I mean, even when it comes to historical success (and financial might) were up there with the best so I don't know why this bothers Leicester fans so much (and it really does). We aren't that far away from being on the right track again. The right manager and our financial power always leaves the door open for trophies in the near future.

But yeah, without doubt Leicester fans here have a chip on their shoulder. They speak about truth and honesty but wouldn't be as comfortable with the same if United fans spoke 'honestly' (it's mockingly really, for which there is no need) their football club and it's achievements in the game I'm sure.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol: What a pile of nonsense. At least check the timelines instead of posting randomly.

Last edited:

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
He always seemed incompetent when organising defences at Liverpool and also for Celtic's Champions League games but on the other hand Swansea were and Leicester are notably strong at the back.

Not sure why that is.

GM K

That still doesn't appear desperate to me, they paid what it took to get their #1 target. Not paying the lower fee 12 months prior was stupid, and the choice to not back Mourinho in general was stupid, and they paid for that stupidity.

Alexis Sanchez smacked of desperation. Not a player we needed, didn't even want to come and it took an ungodly salary to persuade him to come. That was pure panic, getting someone for the sake of it. Maguire was strengthening where we absolutely needed to strengthen with a target who the club absolutely wanted. Desperation would be settling for a player they didn't really want because their top targets had refused. That's not what happened.

The original point being, the club's supposed desperation is not why Maguire cost what he did. City, Liverpool, Real Madrid, any other club would have had to pay the same amount. City wanted him but didn't want to pay that much. They probably should have, because they've currently got one fit centre back, and he's not very good.

I have been enjoying reading your posts but I just thought I should say something about the highlighted bit.

While I think we were desperate to sign an attacker (in the previous season, lack of enough goals was one of the reasons we didn't do well in the league), Alexis himself was not averse to joining United. His relationship with Arsenal had broken down and he was desperate to move. United at that time, looked like an upgrade for him coming from Arsenal. We had just won the Europa Cup, we had returned to the Champions League, we looked good on the table, had money to spend, had a top manager, a great brand and looked like with enough investments and better football, we could push for the title. You will recall that apart from salary, one of Alexis' problems at Arsenal was that they were not winning silverware.

Another context was the manager's relationship with Martial. Justifiable or not, it was breaking down. It appeared like we could do with another attacker who could play from wide and also play through the middle. I do agree that someone who could have played from right would have been better but the reality was that we were still having problem from the left.

Another thing worth pointing out is that Alexis' decline in form at United was shocking, at least to many people. Kudos to those with enough insights to have foreseen it. But for fans like me who had followed Alexis' career since he played for Udinese, it was astonishing to see him become so bad so quickly. He had declined significantly at Arsenal in his last few months but one attributed that to his desperation to leave the club and one thought that he would somehow click again once he got into a new club, especially a great one like United.

Anyway, the rest is now history. Your comment can be well understood with the benefit of insight but when you consider the contexts at that time, one may want to interpret differently.

redmanc

The 'Little old Leicester' and 'Mighty Manchester United' comments are in response to condescending United fan posters.
Hardly surprising when posting on a man united forum is it? Plenty of other teams posters exist here whilst not being massive plebs outside of match day results, what makes you the exception?